RFD: uk.games.video.handheld

Unknown

Nov 20, 2004, 4:55:14 AM11/20/04

REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)

This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following changes
in the uk.* Usenet hierarchy:

create unmoderated newsgroup uk.games.video.handheld

Newsgroup line:
uk.games.video.handheld UK focused discussion of handheld video gaming

*** ALL DISCUSSION MUST TAKE PLACE IN UK.NET.NEWS.CONFIG ***

This is not a Call for Votes (CFV); you cannot vote at this time.
Further procedural details are given below.

RATIONALE: uk.games.video.handheld

There have been many handheld games consoles released over the years
such as the five different versions of the Nintendo Gameboy, Sega's
GameGear and Nomad, the Atari Lynx, Neo Geo Pocket and more. There is
also an unprecedented number of new machines due to be launched over
the coming months including the Sony PSP, Nintendo DS, Gizmondo, and
Tapwave Zodiac.

Apart from these dedicated gaming devices there are other devices such
as mobile phones and handheld computers with gaming capabilities too.
Mobile phone gaming in particular is proving increasingly more popular
as technology improves and allows for more elaborate games to be
created.

Despite the wealth of gaming capable handheld devices available there
does not appear to be a single newsgroup that covers the subject as a
whole and there is certainly no proper home for such discussion within
the uk.games.video hierarchy. At the moment any handheld discussion
is fragmented between three groups in that hierarchy,
uk.games.video.playstation, uk.games.video.gameboy, and
uk.games.video.misc. The first two of these groups only allow
discussion of a single format each, although they do contain
occasional off topic discussion of other formats due to this lack of a
dedicated newsgroup for them. It has been found in
uk.games.video.misc that, due to its non-specific nature, handheld
posts may be ignored or overlooked, and many people have expressed
their reluctance to raising handheld discussion there, stating a
strong preference for a dedicated discussion group to be created
instead.

CHARTER: uk.games.video.handheld

This group is for the discussion of gaming on dedicated handheld
consoles and other handheld devices with gaming capability such as
mobile phones and handheld computers.

Links to non-commercial web sites related to handheld gaming are
welcome, but should not be repeated more than once a month.

Reviews, hints, tips and cheats are welcome, however spoilers should
be protected with appropriate spoiler space. Long reviews or
solutions (100 lines or more) may be better offered as a URL.
Particular care should be taken with posts about games not yet
officially released in the UK, so as not to spoil the game for UK
readers.

Discussions about piracy, "warez", backups or other such activities
are forbidden. Discussion of copying or emulating games which are
commercially available is forbidden. Discussions about the morality
and legality of such actions tend to become quickly inflammatory, and
should be avoided.

"MCIBTYC" (My Computer/Console Is Better Than Your Computer/Console)
flamewars are dull, pointless and therefore to be avoided at all
costs.

END CHARTER

PROCEDURE:

This is a request for discussion, not a call for votes. In this phase of
the process, any potential problems with the proposal should be raised
and resolved. The discussion period will continue for a minimum of 10
days, starting from when this RFD is posted to uk.net.news.announce
(i.e. until December 1st) after which a Call For Votes (CFV) may be
posted by a neutral vote taker if the discussion warrants it.
Alternatively, the proposal may proceed by the fast-track method. Please
do not attempt to vote until this happens.

This RFD attempts to comply fully with the "Guidelines for Group Creation
within the UK Hierarchy" as published regularly in uk.net.news.announce.
Please refer to this document if you have any questions about the process.

DISTRIBUTION:

This RFD has been posted to the following newsgroups:
uk.net.news.announce
uk.net.news.config
uk.games.video.misc
uk.games.video.gameboy
uk.games.video.playstation

Proponent:
Steve Jackson (stephan...@gmail.com)

Tim Miller

Nov 20, 2004, 5:57:07 AM11/20/04
stephan...@gmail.com, did you really mean to say this?

> Despite the wealth of gaming capable handheld devices available there
> does not appear to be a single newsgroup that covers the subject as a
> whole and there is certainly no proper home for such discussion within
> the uk.games.video hierarchy. At the moment any handheld discussion
> is fragmented between three groups in that hierarchy,
> uk.games.video.playstation, uk.games.video.gameboy, and
> uk.games.video.misc. The first two of these groups only allow
> discussion of a single format each, although they do contain
> occasional off topic discussion of other formats due to this lack of a
> dedicated newsgroup for them. It has been found in
> uk.games.video.misc that, due to its non-specific nature, handheld
> posts may be ignored or overlooked, and many people have expressed
> their reluctance to raising handheld discussion there, stating a
> strong preference for a dedicated discussion group to be created
> instead.

A bit more background: uk.games.video.gameboy is the quietest "current"
ugv* group, but it still has a reasonable amount of traffic.

I agree that the proposed group would be used and would be beneficial to
the ugv* corner of the Intermawebby.

> CHARTER: uk.games.video.handheld
>
> This group is for the discussion of gaming on dedicated handheld
> consoles and other handheld devices with gaming capability such as
> mobile phones and handheld computers.

Maybe note that gaming on laptop computers is better covered in
uk.games.computer.misc and uk.games.video.misc?

> Links to non-commercial web sites related to handheld gaming are
> welcome, but should not be repeated more than once a month.
>
> Reviews, hints, tips and cheats are welcome, however spoilers should
> be protected with appropriate spoiler space. Long reviews or
> solutions (100 lines or more) may be better offered as a URL.
> Particular care should be taken with posts about games not yet
> officially released in the UK, so as not to spoil the game for UK
> readers.
>
> Discussions about piracy, "warez", backups or other such activities
> are forbidden. Discussion of copying or emulating games which are
> commercially available is forbidden. Discussions about the morality
> and legality of such actions tend to become quickly inflammatory, and
> should be avoided.

That is damn fine wording.

> "MCIBTYC" (My Computer/Console Is Better Than Your Computer/Console)
> flamewars are dull, pointless and therefore to be avoided at all
> costs.

Maybe call it by its proper name - system advocacy. I've always hated
the way that was written in the ugvm charter.

I support.

Tim (tm)
--
tim (at) economic-truth.co.uk
http://www.ugvm.org.uk - the uk.games.video.misc magazine

Message has been deleted

Neil Hopkins

Nov 20, 2004, 7:09:14 AM11/20/04
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:55:14 +0000, Steve Jackson
(stephan...@gmail.com) wrote:

This is a good proposal and I will support it in a vote, but the one
question that I have is whether uk.games.video.gameboy is likely to be
subsumed by the new group. It is currently a very low traffic group,
compared to the other groups in the hierarchy, and so perhaps it would
be better to remove it at the same time as the new group is created?
--
neil h.
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." - John Lehman

Steve Jackson

Nov 20, 2004, 7:41:58 AM11/20/04
Would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel Tim Miller?

>> This group is for the discussion of gaming on dedicated handheld
>> consoles and other handheld devices with gaming capability such as
>> mobile phones and handheld computers.
>>
> Maybe note that gaming on laptop computers is better covered in
> uk.games.computer.misc and uk.games.video.misc?

I have no problem if people feel it is necessary but do you really think
there is a need to point out that a laptop isn't a handheld?

>> "MCIBTYC" (My Computer/Console Is Better Than Your Computer/Console)
>> flamewars are dull, pointless and therefore to be avoided at all
>> costs.
>>
> Maybe call it by its proper name - system advocacy. I've always hated
> the way that was written in the ugvm charter.

I know what you mean but at least it is in nice plain terms that everyone can
understand.

> I support.

Thank you sir.

--
:: Steve Jackson Gamertag: SteJay City of Heroes: Blue-Vixen on Victory
:: Use Amazon? http://tinyurl.com/4kdn to help a preschool charity

Paul Harper

Nov 20, 2004, 8:16:16 AM11/20/04
(stephan...@gmail.com) wrote:

>Sony PSP

As an immediate purchaser of one of these when they come out, I
support this group and would post to, and read it.

Paul.

--
. A .sig is all well and good, but it's no substitute for a personality
. JMS: "SFX is a fairly useless publication on just about every imaginable front.

Message has been deleted

Ali Hopkins

Nov 20, 2004, 8:32:30 AM11/20/04

"Paul Harper" <pa...@harper.net> wrote in message

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:55:14 +0000, Steve Jackson
> (stephan...@gmail.com) wrote:
>
>>Sony PSP
>
> As an immediate purchaser of one of these when they come out,

You are *such* a toyboy. :)

Ali

Fry

Nov 20, 2004, 8:45:14 AM11/20/04
> This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following changes
> in the uk.* Usenet hierarchy:
>
> create unmoderated newsgroup uk.games.video.handheld
>
> Newsgroup line:
> uk.games.video.handheld UK focused discussion of handheld video gaming

It's definately a good idea; could u.g.v.gameboy be closed when
u.g.v.handheld is created? This help ensure that u.g.v.handheld
instantly gets a good stream of posting as soon as it's launched, plus,
once handheld is greated, we'll have two groups both suitable for
discussing Game Boy, which seems a little unnececary.

It's funny, if the proposed group was an alt. group, it would be filled
with morons with pointless fanboy discussions over which device is best,
but I just don't see it happening in a uk. group.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

rich a

Nov 20, 2004, 10:55:10 AM11/20/04
laz <m...@privacy.net> decided it would be mildly amusing to write:

> DS discussions could happily take place in the
> current gameboy group,

DS is not a Game Boy system, so discussion would be off topic.

> PSP discussions in the playstation group.

What about Gizmondo, Zodiac Tapwave and mobile device discussion?

> If you create a proposal to rename the gameboy group, I would vote in
> favour of it.

I agree with the new charter because of the clearer piracy section.

I also believe that the handheld group would make the old gameboy group
redundant, though. So deleting it after the creation of the handheld
group would be the most elegant solution.

--
Lots of love, Rich
crapola - http://www.brushtastic.f2s.com

Paul Harper

Nov 20, 2004, 11:09:44 AM11/20/04
On 20 Nov 2004 15:11:49 GMT, Tone <to...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:16:16 +0000, Paul Harper <pa...@harper.net>
>wrote:

>>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:55:14 +0000, Steve Jackson
>>(stephan...@gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>>>Sony PSP
>>
>>As an immediate purchaser of one of these when they come out, I
>>support this group and would post to, and read it.
>>

>I thought you played with yourself ?

Well, I post here, which pretty much amount to just that...

Message has been deleted

Dr Zoidberg

Nov 20, 2004, 12:10:59 PM11/20/04
Tim Miller wrote:
> stephan...@gmail.com, did you really mean to say this?

>> "MCIBTYC" (My Computer/Console Is Better Than Your Computer/Console)

>> flamewars are dull, pointless and therefore to be avoided at all
>> costs.
>>
> Maybe call it by its proper name - system advocacy. I've always hated
> the way that was written in the ugvm charter.

System advocacy to me is a reasoned argument in favour of one system over
the other and is the sort of discussion that would probably be very useful.

"Nintendos are crap" is the sort of nonsense that should be discouraged.

--
Alex

Join dozens of newsgroup users in making a group charity purchase from
www.oxfamunwrapped.com Full details at www.drzoidberg.co.uk - over Ł400
raised so far

deKay

Nov 20, 2004, 3:34:32 PM11/20/04
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sat, 20 Nov
2004 12:09:14 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.net.news.config,
yawatina tan reek esk neil_h...@hotmail.com (Neil Hopkins) fornis do
marikano es bono tan el:

>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:55:14 +0000, Steve Jackson
>(stephan...@gmail.com) wrote:
>
>This is a good proposal and I will support it in a vote, but the one
>question that I have is whether uk.games.video.gameboy is likely to be
>subsumed by the new group. It is currently a very low traffic group,
>compared to the other groups in the hierarchy, and so perhaps it would
>be better to remove it at the same time as the new group is created?

I don't agree with the removal of ugv.gameboy, but I fully support the
creation of ugv.handheld.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk Gamertag: deKay 01

Jim Taylor

Nov 20, 2004, 7:22:40 PM11/20/04
laz <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> >uk.games.video.handheld UK focused discussion of handheld video gaming
>

> I will vote against this proposal.
>
> A proposal to rename & change charter of the gameboy group to handheld
> makes far more sense. There is no need for a handheld group whilst the
> gameboy group exists. DS discussions could happily take place in the
> current gameboy group, PSP discussions in the playstation group.
> Neither of these groups have particularly high traffic at present. I
> can't imagine the other handheld devices creating much traffic between
> them and that could take place in the misc group.

> If you create a proposal to rename the gameboy group, I would vote in
> favour of it.

Other way round for me, I'd rather see a new group and then get the
gameboy group removed.

I support the aforementioned proposal.

Jim
--
Replace 'spam' with 'post' to reply.

Video games reviews and excellence at http://www.ugvm.org.uk/
Also: http://www.sub-band.com/

James Luff

Nov 20, 2004, 7:45:29 PM11/20/04
Steve Jackson wrote:

> REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
>
> This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following
> changes in the uk.* Usenet hierarchy:
>
> create unmoderated newsgroup uk.games.video.handheld
>
> Newsgroup line:
> uk.games.video.handheld UK focused discussion of handheld video gaming

Would a group dedicated to handheld gaming not just result in flame wars and
fan boy posts? I understand the need for a change, but PSP discussion would
fit into the uk.games.video.playstation group nicely. Perhaps a new group
should be formed for the Nintendo DS as this doesn't really fit into the
gameboy group? I know the uk hierarchy is usually very good for flame wars
and trolling, but I see this group as an invitation to start problems. I'm
still undecided, but at the moment I'm not happy to support the creation of
a generic handheld group, sorry.

--
regards,
James Luff

Sprite

Nov 20, 2004, 8:03:09 PM11/20/04

"laz" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:55:14 +0000, Steve Jackson
> (stephan...@gmail.com) wrote:
>
> >uk.games.video.handheld UK focused discussion of handheld video gaming
>
> I will vote against this proposal.
>
> A proposal to rename & change charter of the gameboy group to handheld
> makes far more sense. There is no need for a handheld group whilst the
> gameboy group exists. DS discussions could happily take place in the
> current gameboy group, PSP discussions in the playstation group.
> Neither of these groups have particularly high traffic at present. I
> can't imagine the other handheld devices creating much traffic between
> them and that could take place in the misc group.

The Nintendo DS is not a Gameboy - there is a future Gameboy planned though
no details have been unveiled as yet. uk.games.video.handheld would provide
an ideal place for discussion for not only DS and PSP users (PSP posts could
flood the PS2 newsgroup and people would not be happy - just look in
uk.games.video.misc to see what trouble the flood of DS posts is doing, and
Half Life 2 for that matter...), but also users of mobile phone gaming,
N-Gage for example, or games on their PDAs, The Gizmondo and also the Zodiac
as well as a host of other retro handhelds such as the Gamegear.

--
Sue

Sprite

Nov 20, 2004, 8:05:58 PM11/20/04

"Steve Jackson" <stephan...@gmail.com> wrote in message

<snip>

I think it's a really good potential addition to the uk.games.video*
hierarchy. PSP discussion would surely annoy the PS2 users as clearly not
ever PS2 user would have a PSP (whereas they would be able to play
Playstation 1 games for example, thus showing no real need for a separate
PS2 group) - in the same way that not every Gamecube user would have a
Gameboy.

The DS also doesn't belong in the Gameboy group as has already been said
because it is *not* a Gameboy. uk.games.video.handheld would be an ideal
place for it and would ease pressure from uk.games.video.misc as a last
resort when no one knows quite where to post...

I can see it being a great forum for the likes of Gizmondo, Zodiac, N-Gage,
mobile gaming in general and PDA gaming so definitely something I would be
in full support for.

--
Sue

Sprite

Nov 20, 2004, 8:07:29 PM11/20/04

"James Luff" <james...@nospam.dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

> Steve Jackson wrote:
> >
> > REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
> >
> > This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following
> > changes in the uk.* Usenet hierarchy:
> >
> > create unmoderated newsgroup uk.games.video.handheld
> >
> > Newsgroup line:
> > uk.games.video.handheld UK focused discussion of handheld video gaming
>
> Would a group dedicated to handheld gaming not just result in flame wars
and
> fan boy posts? I understand the need for a change, but PSP discussion
would
> fit into the uk.games.video.playstation group nicely. Perhaps a new group
> should be formed for the Nintendo DS as this doesn't really fit into the
> gameboy group? I know the uk hierarchy is usually very good for flame wars
> and trolling, but I see this group as an invitation to start problems. I'm
> still undecided, but at the moment I'm not happy to support the creation
of
> a generic handheld group, sorry.

Simply look at uk.games.video.misc. This is a generic group for all the
major consoles and as you know there is never any trouble worth mentioning -
most members frequent the other groups too. I can't see why it would be any
different with a generic handheld post.

I can see the playstation group members being annoyed if they get flooded
with PSP posts though, much in the same way that some people in ugvm aren't
too appreciative of the heavy volume of DS/HL2 posts.

--
Sue

Neil Hopkins

Nov 21, 2004, 3:59:30 AM11/21/04
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:34:32 +0000, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk>
wrote:

>Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sat, 20 Nov
>2004 12:09:14 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.net.news.config,
>yawatina tan reek esk neil_h...@hotmail.com (Neil Hopkins) fornis do
>marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:55:14 +0000, Steve Jackson
>>(stephan...@gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>>This is a good proposal and I will support it in a vote, but the one
>>question that I have is whether uk.games.video.gameboy is likely to be
>>subsumed by the new group. It is currently a very low traffic group,
>>compared to the other groups in the hierarchy, and so perhaps it would
>>be better to remove it at the same time as the new group is created?
>
>I don't agree with the removal of ugv.gameboy, but I fully support the
>creation of ugv.handheld.

I think that the best thing would be create ugv.handheld as per the
charter and then see what happens to the traffic in ugv.gameboy in a
couple of months time to see what happens to it.

deKay

Nov 21, 2004, 6:24:14 AM11/21/04
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 21 Nov
2004 08:59:30 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.net.news.config,

yawatina tan reek esk neil_h...@hotmail.com (Neil Hopkins) fornis do
marikano es bono tan el:

>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:34:32 +0000, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sat, 20 Nov
>>2004 12:09:14 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.net.news.config,
>>yawatina tan reek esk neil_h...@hotmail.com (Neil Hopkins) fornis do
>>marikano es bono tan el:
>>
>>>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:55:14 +0000, Steve Jackson
>>>(stephan...@gmail.com) wrote:
>>>
>>>This is a good proposal and I will support it in a vote, but the one
>>>question that I have is whether uk.games.video.gameboy is likely to be
>>>subsumed by the new group. It is currently a very low traffic group,
>>>compared to the other groups in the hierarchy, and so perhaps it would
>>>be better to remove it at the same time as the new group is created?
>>
>>I don't agree with the removal of ugv.gameboy, but I fully support the
>>creation of ugv.handheld.
>
>I think that the best thing would be create ugv.handheld as per the
>charter and then see what happens to the traffic in ugv.gameboy in a
>couple of months time to see what happens to it.

C'est agreeable.

deKay

Nov 21, 2004, 6:28:16 AM11/21/04
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 21 Nov
2004 00:45:29 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.net.news.config,
yawatina tan reek esk "James Luff" <james...@nospam.dsl.pipex.com> fornis do

marikano es bono tan el:

>Would a group dedicated to handheld gaming not just result in flame wars and

>fan boy posts? I understand the need for a change, but PSP discussion would
>fit into the uk.games.video.playstation group nicely. Perhaps a new group
>should be formed for the Nintendo DS as this doesn't really fit into the
>gameboy group? I know the uk hierarchy is usually very good for flame wars
>and trolling, but I see this group as an invitation to start problems. I'm
>still undecided, but at the moment I'm not happy to support the creation of
>a generic handheld group, sorry.

ugv.misc doesn't seem to have any GC/PS2/Xbox flamewars. Why should
ugv.handheld be any different with the DS/PSP?

Ben Allen

Nov 21, 2004, 6:33:58 AM11/21/04

"Sprite" <sue.k...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
Not much left to say other than I agree.

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 21, 2004, 7:02:33 AM11/21/04
Neil Hopkins wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:55:14 +0000, Steve Jackson
> (stephan...@gmail.com) wrote:
>
> This is a good proposal and I will support it in a vote, but the one
> question that I have is whether uk.games.video.gameboy is likely to be
> subsumed by the new group. It is currently a very low traffic group,
> compared to the other groups in the hierarchy, and so perhaps it would
> be better to remove it at the same time as the new group is created?

I think this makes a lot of sense. The current traffic on agvg is low
enough that it would never be created if it were re chartered today.

Choobs

--
Sir Chewbury Gubbins <chewbury...@nelefa.org>
http://www.nelesoft.com

Col

Nov 21, 2004, 11:39:40 AM11/21/04
I support, great proposal.

Col.

--
Remove the 'old' to reply to me.

Watashi no tsuma wa nihon-jin desu!
Watashi no tsuma wa kawaii desu!

Andrew Hodgson

Nov 21, 2004, 5:31:03 PM11/21/04
(stephan...@gmail.com) wrote:

> REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
>
>This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following changes
>in the uk.* Usenet hierarchy:
>
> create unmoderated newsgroup uk.games.video.handheld
>
>Newsgroup line:
>uk.games.video.handheld UK focused discussion of handheld video gaming

Just a small question on how different the UK perspective on this is
to the rest of the world? Are formats still an issue (i.e, some games
on older systems being available in PAL/NTSC etc)? Is there another
group on this topic anywhere else (i.e, big 8) and how much is it
used?

I would support this group, however.
Andrew.
My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.

Fry

Nov 21, 2004, 8:36:17 PM11/21/04
> Just a small question on how different the UK perspective on this is
> to the rest of the world? Are formats still an issue (i.e, some games
> on older systems being available in PAL/NTSC etc)? Is there another
> group on this topic anywhere else (i.e, big 8) and how much is it
> used?

Generally, games carry region protection, and European releases are in
PAL, but in the case of Handheld games, the vast majority are
region-free. Release dates vary significantly between regions though.

Sprite

Nov 21, 2004, 9:28:04 PM11/21/04

"Andrew Hodgson" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:55:14 +0000, Steve Jackson
> (stephan...@gmail.com) wrote:

>> REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
>>
>>This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following changes
>>in the uk.* Usenet hierarchy:
>>
>> create unmoderated newsgroup uk.games.video.handheld
>>
>>Newsgroup line:
>>uk.games.video.handheld UK focused discussion of handheld video gaming
>
> Just a small question on how different the UK perspective on this is
> to the rest of the world? Are formats still an issue (i.e, some games
> on older systems being available in PAL/NTSC etc)? Is there another
> group on this topic anywhere else (i.e, big 8) and how much is it
> used?

Sorry to sound dumb but, "big 8"?

There isn't another group on this topic at the moment, and even if there
were an alt.games.video.handheld for example I think the need for a uk
version would still be a good plan as it has been for the other UK games
groups because the alt groups tend to be flooded with nonsense and trolls
etc.

Games are still PAL or NTSC though, with the exception of DS and Gameboy
games (no idea on the PSP etc as yet). But having a UK specific group is
still extremely, if not more so, relevant - either because we are only able
to buy games when they come out here or for discussions of importing them
from elsewhere (eg. US/Canada for English games) - something which wouldn't
really find much answer in an American dominated group. I've learnt a great
deal from uk.games.video.gamecube on this matter :-)

Realising I may be coming off a bit defensively but I really think the group
would be a great idea, as someone who would be a regular user of it :-)

--
Sue

FatHippy

Nov 21, 2004, 10:47:56 PM11/21/04
In message
<rfd1-uk.games.video.handheld-20041120095515$30...@gradwell.net>,
SteveJackson@?.?.invalid writes

[snip]

>Links to non-commercial web sites related to handheld gaming are
>welcome, but should not be repeated more than once a month.

There is nothing in the current proposal that specifically deals with
advertising. It could be argued that the above statement covers it, but
I forsee endless arguments about what the words mean. As the wording
currently stands, the likes of Dom Robinson could post his 15 page ads
every month, without contravening the charter.

I would propose that a section is added to the proposal that either says
that advertising is forbidden completely, or perhaps be slightly more
reasonable, with something along the lines of "advertising is permitted
as long as the advert is no longer than 5 lines, and is not repeated
more than once a month. All adverts should be prefixed as follows to
allow people to filter them as required - FA: (for items for auction),
FS: (for items for sale), WTD: (for items that people are looking for),
SWAP: (for items that people are seeking to swap for other items), COMM:
(for adverts from companies)

Other than that, I support this proposal.
--
FatHippy
'Poking death in the face with a big stick and then running away'

Chris Croughton

Nov 22, 2004, 4:57:13 AM11/22/04
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 03:47:56 +0000, FatHippy
<{$spamtrap$}@fathippy.net> wrote:

> There is nothing in the current proposal that specifically deals with
> advertising. It could be argued that the above statement covers it, but
> I forsee endless arguments about what the words mean. As the wording
> currently stands, the likes of Dom Robinson could post his 15 page ads
> every month, without contravening the charter.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! My copy & paste error, I
managed to miss off everything after the 'charter' itself. Steve's
RFD to me had:

ADVERTISING:

Advertising (which includes wanted adverts and game trade lists) is
forbidden, with these exceptions:

Adverts of no more than four lines, which are part of the poster's
regular signature, and which are not the main reason for the post, are
allowed.

Owners of web sites with information relevant to the newsgroup may
post, not more than once every 3 months, an advert for their site,
providing that the site is not used to sell, nor advertise for sale,
any goods or services. The site may contain "banner"-style adverts if
it is beyond the control of the site's owner to remove them.

CROSS-POSTING:

Cross-posting in general is discouraged as it may invite postings
which do not conform to this charter.

BINARIES & FORMATTING:

Encoded binaries (e.g. pictures, compressed files, etc.) are
forbidden. Cryptographic signatures (e.g. PGP) may be used where
authentication is important and should be as short as possible.

Posts must be readable as plain text. HTML, RTF and similarly
formatted messages are prohibited. To see how to make your newsreader
comply with this, read <http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html>.

Warning

Anyone posting contrary to this charter may be reported to their
"postmaster" and/or Service Provider.

Since it was my error, I'll issue a 2nd RFD imminently. Sorry about
that, Steve, and thanks 'FatHippy' for pointing it out...

Chris C as Control

Zomoniac

Nov 22, 2004, 5:51:36 AM11/22/04
On 20/11/04 9:55 am, in article
"stephan...@gmail.com" <Steve Jackson> wrote:

> [...]

> PROCEDURE:
>
> This is a request for discussion, not a call for votes. In this phase of
> the process, any potential problems with the proposal should be raised
> and resolved. The discussion period will continue for a minimum of 10
> days, starting from when this RFD is posted to uk.net.news.announce
> (i.e. until December 1st) after which a Call For Votes (CFV) may be
> posted by a neutral vote taker if the discussion warrants it.
> Alternatively, the proposal may proceed by the fast-track method. Please
> do not attempt to vote until this happens.
>
> This RFD attempts to comply fully with the "Guidelines for Group Creation
> within the UK Hierarchy" as published regularly in uk.net.news.announce.
> Please refer to this document if you have any questions about the process.
>
> DISTRIBUTION:
>
> This RFD has been posted to the following newsgroups:

Bad idea. Putting PSP and DS discussion in the same place is asking for
trouble from the off. It will end up turning into a fanboy warzone.

Zo

Charles Lindsey

Nov 22, 2004, 7:09:39 AM11/22/04
In <rfd1-uk.games.video.handheld-20041120095515$30...@gradwell.net> Steve Jackson (stephan...@gmail.com) writes:

>This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following changes
>in the uk.* Usenet hierarchy:

> create unmoderated newsgroup uk.games.video.handheld

>CHARTER: uk.games.video.handheld

>END CHARTER

You have omitted the mandatory wording prohibiting binaries.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: c...@clerew.man.ac.uk Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

Tim Miller

Nov 22, 2004, 7:31:05 AM11/22/04
Zomoniac wrote:

> Bad idea. Putting PSP and DS discussion in the same place is asking
> for trouble from the off. It will end up turning into a fanboy
> warzone.

Like ugvm is?

Tim (tm)
--
tim at economic-truth.co.uk Xbox Live gamertag: Xexyz
http://www.economic-truth.co.uk - the students' economics resource

Sprite

Nov 22, 2004, 8:13:51 AM11/22/04

"Tim Miller" <ne...@economic-truth.co.uk> wrote in message

> Zomoniac wrote:
>>
>> Bad idea. Putting PSP and DS discussion in the same place is asking
>> for trouble from the off. It will end up turning into a fanboy
>> warzone.
>>
> Like ugvm is?
>
> Tim (tm)

Precisely. I think we can all agree that the ugv* hierarchy is generally
populated by reasonable individuals and so such "fanboy (or girl :)) war"
wouldn't really occur. Aside from the random trolls but you get that
anywhere.

--
Sue

Resident Drunk

Nov 22, 2004, 10:11:33 AM11/22/04
"Steve Jackson" <stephan...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
>
> This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following changes
> in the uk.* Usenet hierarchy:
>
> create unmoderated newsgroup uk.games.video.handheld

I support.

Resident Drunk

Nov 22, 2004, 10:13:15 AM11/22/04

"FatHippy" <{$spamtrap$}@fathippy.net> wrote in message

> In message
> <rfd1-uk.games.video.handheld-20041120095515$30...@gradwell.net>,
> SteveJackson@?.?.invalid writes
>
> [snip]
>

>>Links to non-commercial web sites related to handheld gaming are
>>welcome, but should not be repeated more than once a month.
>>
> There is nothing in the current proposal that specifically deals with
> advertising. It could be argued that the above statement covers it, but I
> forsee endless arguments about what the words mean. As the wording
> currently stands, the likes of Dom Robinson could post his 15 page ads
> every month, without contravening the charter.
>
> I would propose that a section is added to the proposal that either says
> that advertising is forbidden completely, or perhaps be slightly more
> reasonable, with something along the lines of "advertising is permitted as
> long as the advert is no longer than 5 lines, and is not repeated more
> than once a month. All adverts should be prefixed as follows to allow
> people to filter them as required - FA: (for items for auction), FS: (for
> items for sale), WTD: (for items that people are looking for), SWAP: (for
> items that people are seeking to swap for other items), COMM: (for adverts
> from companies)

Not if we feed him to lions.

Steve Jackson

Nov 22, 2004, 11:43:25 AM11/22/04
Would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel Chris Croughton?

>> There is nothing in the current proposal that specifically deals with
>> advertising. It could be argued that the above statement covers it, but
>> I forsee endless arguments about what the words mean. As the wording
>> currently stands, the likes of Dom Robinson could post his 15 page ads
>> every month, without contravening the charter.
>
> Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! My copy & paste error, I
> managed to miss off everything after the 'charter' itself. Steve's
> RFD to me had:

Ooops, I didn't even notice it missing myself.

--
:: Steve Jackson Gamertag: SteJay City of Heroes: Blue-Vixen on Victory
:: Use Amazon? http://tinyurl.com/4kdn to help a preschool charity
:: "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega." - Brodie (Mallrats)

Steve Jackson

Nov 22, 2004, 11:44:27 AM11/22/04
Would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel Charles Lindsey?

> You have omitted the mandatory wording prohibiting binaries.

No, Chris missed it off when he posted it, and has since submitted my full
RFD.

Chris Croughton

Nov 22, 2004, 12:17:53 PM11/22/04
On 22 Nov 2004 16:43:25 GMT, Steve Jackson
<nos...@please.invalid> wrote:

> Would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel Chris Croughton?
>
>>> There is nothing in the current proposal that specifically deals with
>>> advertising. It could be argued that the above statement covers it, but
>>> I forsee endless arguments about what the words mean. As the wording
>>> currently stands, the likes of Dom Robinson could post his 15 page ads
>>> every month, without contravening the charter.
>>
>> Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! My copy & paste error, I
>> managed to miss off everything after the 'charter' itself. Steve's
>> RFD to me had:
>
> Ooops, I didn't even notice it missing myself.

Ah, but it wasn't missing yourself, you were on the RFD. Oh, sorry,
this isn't uk.culture.language.english <g>...

(I still don't know how I managed to miss it. I was probably asleep
when I did it...)

Chris C

Steve Jackson

Nov 22, 2004, 1:30:42 PM11/22/04
Would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel Chris Croughton?

> (I still don't know how I managed to miss it. I was probably asleep
> when I did it...)

Quick question, does posting this 'second' RFD restart the initial ten day
discussion period?

Cheers.

FatHippy

Nov 22, 2004, 9:25:17 PM11/22/04
In message <slrncq47q1...@ccserver.keris.net>, Chris Croughton
<ch...@keristor.net> writes

Dude, it is just an honest mistake.

I appreciate that making an honest mistake and admitting it in unnc is
normally enough to get you tracked down by a bunch of anal compulsive,
dribbling onanists and hung from the nearest tree with your election
mandate stuffed up your arse, while said onanists caper about like CS
gas crazed chimps; but the ugv* hierarchy are a more civilised lot and
are quite capable of recognising this for what it was, rather than some
subversive and perfidious attempt on your part to undermine the very
fabric of society.

In short, your explanation is perfectly reasonable and your apology is
accepted as a courtesy (at least by me anyways)

FatHippy

Nov 22, 2004, 9:25:44 PM11/22/04
In message <30ee0iF...@uni-berlin.de>, Resident Drunk
<resid...@ntlworld.com> writes
A proposal with much merit.

FatHippy

Nov 22, 2004, 9:27:29 PM11/22/04
In message <Xns95A9AA...@130.133.1.4>, Steve Jackson
<nos...@please.invalid> writes

>Would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel Chris Croughton?
>
>>> There is nothing in the current proposal that specifically deals with
>>> advertising. It could be argued that the above statement covers it, but
>>> I forsee endless arguments about what the words mean. As the wording
>>> currently stands, the likes of Dom Robinson could post his 15 page ads
>>> every month, without contravening the charter.
>>
>> Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! My copy & paste error, I
>> managed to miss off everything after the 'charter' itself. Steve's
>> RFD to me had:
>
>Ooops, I didn't even notice it missing myself.

You might even get it FT'd at this rate. :-)

Molly Mockford

Nov 23, 2004, 2:13:38 AM11/23/04
At 16:44:27 on Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Steve Jackson <nos...@please.invalid>
wrote in <Xns95A9AA...@130.133.1.4>:

>Would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel Charles Lindsey?

Great heavens, what a thought.
--
Molly
I don't speak for UKVoting. Hey, half the time I don't even speak for myself.

Chris Croughton

Nov 23, 2004, 7:00:16 AM11/23/04
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:13:38 +0000, Molly Mockford
<nospam...@mollymockford.me.uk> wrote:

> At 16:44:27 on Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Steve Jackson <nos...@please.invalid>
> wrote in <Xns95A9AA...@130.133.1.4>:
>
>>Would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel Charles Lindsey?
>
> Great heavens, what a thought.

Indeed. I'm glad I wasn't eating or drinking <g>...

Chris C

Dave Hillam

Nov 23, 2004, 7:43:19 AM11/23/04
Molly Mockford wrote in uk.net.news.config on Tue, 23 Nov 2004
07:13:38 +0000 MID<W$Mtz2yiM...@molly.mockford>:

>At 16:44:27 on Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Steve Jackson <nos...@please.invalid>
>wrote in <Xns95A9AA...@130.133.1.4>:
>
>>Would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel Charles Lindsey?
>
>Great heavens, what a thought.

Indeed. Mixing chocolate and pretzels. Ick.

GeneralComment: is there an election on, btw? I was expecting to come
back to multiple threads and to find the hustings in full flow. Either
no-one is interested, or all minds have been made up.

--
Dave Hillam
"Then old Nobodaddy aloft, Farted & belchd & coughd

Resident Drunk

Nov 23, 2004, 7:59:28 AM11/23/04
"FatHippy" <{$spamtrap$}@fathippy.net> wrote in message

Say what you mean man !!!!eleven1

Chris Croughton

Nov 23, 2004, 7:38:18 AM11/23/04
On 22 Nov 2004 18:30:42 GMT, Steve Jackson
<nos...@please.invalid> wrote:

> Would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel Chris Croughton?
>
>> (I still don't know how I managed to miss it. I was probably asleep
>> when I did it...)
>
> Quick question, does posting this 'second' RFD restart the initial ten day
> discussion period?

Yes, I'm afraid it does. It's not a change I could regard as 'minor',
since it isn't exactly "boilerplate" (I prefer your wording about
advertising to that of some of the other newsgroups , but some people
may object and must have time to do so). The same would have been true
if I had issued an amended 1st RFD (that was my decision, if I'd put it
to the Committee list it would have taken longer anyway).

Going by what I've seen so far, I'd hope for a fast-track on this one,
so hopefully avoiding a need for another RFD. There seem to be a number
of positive comments and not much in the way of negative ones.

Chris C

Chris Croughton

Nov 23, 2004, 7:30:04 AM11/23/04
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:25:17 +0000, FatHippy
<{$spamtrap$}@fathippy.net> wrote:

> In message <slrncq47q1...@ccserver.keris.net>, Chris Croughton
> <ch...@keristor.net> writes
>>

>>(I still don't know how I managed to miss it. I was probably asleep
>>when I did it...)
>
> Dude, it is just an honest mistake.

Oh, true, but it's a silly one because I read that RFD at least 4 times
and didn't spot the obvious.

> I appreciate that making an honest mistake and admitting it in unnc is
> normally enough to get you tracked down by a bunch of anal compulsive,
> dribbling onanists and hung from the nearest tree with your election
> mandate stuffed up your arse, while said onanists caper about like CS
> gas crazed chimps; but the ugv* hierarchy are a more civilised lot and
> are quite capable of recognising this for what it was, rather than some
> subversive and perfidious attempt on your part to undermine the very
> fabric of society.

<g> A mixed metaphor, but appreciated...

> In short, your explanation is perfectly reasonable and your apology is
> accepted as a courtesy (at least by me anyways)

Thanks!

Chris C

Steve Jackson

Nov 23, 2004, 10:51:02 AM11/23/04
Would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel Dave Hillam?

> Indeed. Mixing chocolate and pretzels. Ick.

It is far worse than that. It is a reference to the film Mallrats where the
character Brodie stink-palms (playing with your bottom then shaking hands
with someone) Mr Svenning and then offers him chocolate pretzels. While
eating the pretzels Mr Svenning proceeds to lick and suck the chocolate off
his sticky, shitty fingers.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

rich a

Nov 23, 2004, 1:35:51 PM11/23/04
laz <m...@privacy.net> decided it would be mildly amusing to write:

>>DS is not a Game Boy system, so discussion would be off topic.
>
> Only if you are being anal.

Made me chortle, that, you're one of the most anal people who hangs around
the ugv* heirarchy ;)

> I see nothing in this charter about
> gameboy posts. Surely gameboy posts would be off topic while the
> gameboy group exists.

I wouldn't say "off-topic", but certainly discouraged while ugvgb is still
around.

> Only if you are stupid. If not, the most elegant solution is clearly
> to get this all done at the same time. This means it does not require
> two separate RFDs and all the administration that goes with them.

I believe that removing the GB group at the same time would be harmful to
both groups. It would make much more sense to create the handheld group,
allow discussion to take place there (and let it reach the news spools of
most ISPs), and after a few months examine whether there is still a demand
for the existing GB group.

--
Lots of love, Rich
crapola - http://www.brushtastic.f2s.com

Paul Harper

Nov 23, 2004, 1:50:47 PM11/23/04
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:45:01 +0000, Tone <to...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:09:44 +0000, Paul Harper <pa...@harper.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On 20 Nov 2004 15:11:49 GMT, Tone <to...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>>>I thought you played with yourself ?
>>
>>Well, I post here, which pretty much amount to just that...
>>
>But doesnt give quite the same pleasure or end result ?

Well, it seems to take longer, I'll give it that...

Paul.

--
. A .sig is all well and good, but it's no substitute for a personality
. JMS: "SFX is a fairly useless publication on just about every imaginable front.
Never have so many jumped-up fanboys done so little, with so much, for so long."
. EMail: Unless invited to, don't. Your message is likely to be automatically deleted.

Molly Mockford

Nov 23, 2004, 2:29:43 PM11/23/04
At 12:00:16 on Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Chris Croughton <ch...@keristor.net>
wrote in <slrncq69ig...@ccserver.keris.net>:

How fortunate you read it during that brief window of time! :-)

Jim Taylor

Nov 23, 2004, 2:45:17 PM11/23/04
laz <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> >Other way round for me, I'd rather see a new group and then get the
> >gameboy group removed.
>
> Does this mean you will be volunteering to RFD the gameboys groups
> removal or are you hoping someone else will.

I wrote the RFD for it in the first place so I'd be more than happy to
arrange the removal of it.

> Surely it makes more sense to do this all at the same time.

I'd rather give it a few weeks to allow for the new group to be
noticed/used by people.

Jim
--
Replace 'spam' with 'post' to reply.

Video games reviews and excellence at http://www.ugvm.org.uk/
Also: http://www.sub-band.com/

FatHippy

Nov 23, 2004, 2:48:51 PM11/23/04
In message <slrncq6bac...@ccserver.keris.net>, Chris Croughton
<ch...@keristor.net> writes
>On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:25:17 +0000, FatHippy
> <{$spamtrap$}@fathippy.net> wrote:
>
>> In message <slrncq47q1...@ccserver.keris.net>, Chris Croughton
>> <ch...@keristor.net> writes
>>>
>>>(I still don't know how I managed to miss it. I was probably asleep
>>>when I did it...)
>>
>> Dude, it is just an honest mistake.
>
>Oh, true, but it's a silly one because I read that RFD at least 4 times
>and didn't spot the obvious.

Word blindness. We've all had it at one point or another.
Given that the person who drafted the proposal in the first place has
admitted that he didn't spot the ommission either..........:-)

>> I appreciate that making an honest mistake and admitting it in unnc is
>> normally enough to get you tracked down by a bunch of anal compulsive,
>> dribbling onanists and hung from the nearest tree with your election
>> mandate stuffed up your arse, while said onanists caper about like CS
>> gas crazed chimps; but the ugv* hierarchy are a more civilised lot and
>> are quite capable of recognising this for what it was, rather than some
>> subversive and perfidious attempt on your part to undermine the very
>> fabric of society.
>
><g> A mixed metaphor, but appreciated...

<grin>

Yes, quite.

I think the overall sentiment to be correct though, and in many
respects, I think that I could prove most of it to be a statment of
fact, if it ever came to court.

>> In short, your explanation is perfectly reasonable and your apology is
>> accepted as a courtesy (at least by me anyways)
>
>Thanks!

You're very welcome.

I have some difficulty understanding why any sane person takes on *any*
of the roles in UKV/ "Da Committee"/Control etc. given the amount of
in-group cannabalism and vitriol that is exhibited by some. It really is
an unpleasant place to be, and one I am happy to only have to visit when
I need to.

Keep on truckin' Chris and don't let the bastards grind you down. :-)

Message has been deleted

Chris Croughton

Nov 23, 2004, 3:08:43 PM11/23/04
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:07:01 +0000, laz
<m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:38:18 +0000, Chris Croughton
> <ch...@keristor.net> wrote:
>
>>Going by what I've seen so far, I'd hope for a fast-track on this one,
>>so hopefully avoiding a need for another RFD. There seem to be a number
>>of positive comments and not much in the way of negative ones.
>

> I will object to any fast track on the basis that the new group makes
> an existing (and low traffic) group redundant. This RFD makes no
> attempt to address that.

How about you back that up with some figures? 20 posts per day on
average in the last 3 weeks (according to Gradwell's server) isn't
massively high but it's more than most of the groups in which I
participate (uk.net.news.config has had 257 articles in that period,
uk.games.video.gameboy has had 201, not a big difference).

> I would be rather concerned if the committee did not consider this a
> "well founded" objection. Perhaps the proponent should address my
> concerns instead of ignoring me.

It's an interesting prediction of disaster, but without evidence (like
lots of people in the gameboy group saying "oh yes, if this is created
I'll abandon this specific group for one in which people discuss lots of
non-gameboy topics") it doesn't seem much of a threat to me. In other
cases I haven't seem people rushing to more general groups from specific
ones.

(Incidentally, I have no interest in using any video gaming groups, I
rarely play any games on computer at all and regard a mobile phone as
only for making and occasionally receiving phone calls. I don't have a
PDA either, Sharp stopped selling the Zaurus before I got one and it
doesn't have gcc on it anyway...)

Chris C

Dave Hillam

Nov 23, 2004, 5:29:33 PM11/23/04
Steve Jackson wrote in uk.net.news.config on 23 Nov 2004 15:51:02 GMT
MID<Xns95AAA1...@130.133.1.4>:

>> Indeed. Mixing chocolate and pretzels. Ick.
>
>It is far worse than that. It is a reference to the film Mallrats where the
>character Brodie stink-palms (playing with your bottom then shaking hands
>with someone) Mr Svenning and then offers him chocolate pretzels. While
>eating the pretzels Mr Svenning proceeds to lick and suck the chocolate off
>his sticky, shitty fingers.

This is far, far more information than someone eagerly contemplating
the last Tunnock's Caramel Wafer could possibly need.

--
nice (adj)
- often used in vague commendation by those who are not nice

Message has been deleted

Tim Miller

Nov 24, 2004, 4:54:59 AM11/24/04
laz wrote:

> I will object to any fast track on the basis that the new group makes
> an existing (and low traffic) group redundant. This RFD makes no
> attempt to address that.
>
> I would be rather concerned if the committee did not consider this a
> "well founded" objection. Perhaps the proponent should address my
> concerns instead of ignoring me.

Your concerns have been addressed in several posts already.

Tim (tm)
--
tim at economic-truth.co.uk Xbox Live gamertag: Xexyz
http://www.economic-truth.co.uk - the students' economics resource
http://www.ugvm.org.uk - the uk.games.video.misc magazine
The talkabout network is denied permission to reproduce this post

Tim Miller

Nov 24, 2004, 4:58:09 AM11/24/04
Chris Croughton wrote:

> It's an interesting prediction of disaster, but without evidence (like
> lots of people in the gameboy group saying "oh yes, if this is created
> I'll abandon this specific group for one in which people discuss lots
> of non-gameboy topics") it doesn't seem much of a threat to me. In
> other cases I haven't seem people rushing to more general groups from
> specific ones.

Thinking about it, there's an interesting counter-argument for this already.
uk.games.video.misc exists, but that doesn't make uk.games.video.gamecube
dead. Far from it.

The only difference is in terms of naming. But I dont' think that renaming
to uk.games.video.handheld.misc and uk.games.video.handheld.gameboy is
necessary.

deKay

Nov 24, 2004, 5:03:24 AM11/24/04
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 24 Nov
2004 09:58:09 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.net.news.config,
yawatina tan reek esk "Tim Miller" <ne...@economic-truth.co.uk> fornis do
marikano es bono tan el:

>The only difference is in terms of naming. But I dont' think that renaming
>to uk.games.video.handheld.misc and uk.games.video.handheld.gameboy is
>necessary.

ugv.handheld.misc would create the orphan group ugv.handheld anyway.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk Gamertag: deKay 01
|- Hurry up and go touch it.

Chris Croughton

Nov 24, 2004, 4:53:25 AM11/24/04
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:29:43 +0000, Molly Mockford
<nospam...@mollymockford.me.uk> wrote:

> At 12:00:16 on Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Chris Croughton <ch...@keristor.net>
> wrote in <slrncq69ig...@ccserver.keris.net>:
>
>>On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:13:38 +0000, Molly Mockford
>> <nospam...@mollymockford.me.uk> wrote:

>>> Great heavens, what a thought.
>>
>>Indeed. I'm glad I wasn't eating or drinking <g>...
>
> How fortunate you read it during that brief window of time! :-)

Hey, I don't eat and drink all the time! Sometimes I sleep <g>...

Chris C

Tim Miller

Nov 24, 2004, 5:48:29 AM11/24/04
deKay wrote:

>> The only difference is in terms of naming. But I dont' think that
>> renaming to uk.games.video.handheld.misc and
>> uk.games.video.handheld.gameboy is necessary.
>
> ugv.handheld.misc would create the orphan group ugv.handheld anyway.

Eh?

There's no orphan group uk.games.video

Chris Croughton

Nov 24, 2004, 5:08:09 AM11/24/04
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:48:51 +0000, FatHippy
<{$spamtrap$}@fathippy.net> wrote:

> In message <slrncq6bac...@ccserver.keris.net>, Chris Croughton
> <ch...@keristor.net> writes
>>

>>Oh, true, but it's a silly one because I read that RFD at least 4 times
>>and didn't spot the obvious.
>
> Word blindness. We've all had it at one point or another.
> Given that the person who drafted the proposal in the first place has
> admitted that he didn't spot the ommission either..........:-)

It's always harder to spot errors in something you wrote yourself,
because you know what it should have said. I get really annoyed when I
see a post or email I've sent with silly errors that I really know
better (there/their/they're, for instance, I know perfectly well which
one I mean, I think the right one, my fingers type something different
and reading it at the time I see what I thought I typed rather than
what's really there, then when I see it coming back I get annoyed).

>>> I appreciate that making an honest mistake and admitting it in unnc is
>>> normally enough to get you tracked down by a bunch of anal compulsive,
>>> dribbling onanists and hung from the nearest tree with your election
>>> mandate stuffed up your arse, while said onanists caper about like CS
>>> gas crazed chimps; but the ugv* hierarchy are a more civilised lot and
>>> are quite capable of recognising this for what it was, rather than some
>>> subversive and perfidious attempt on your part to undermine the very
>>> fabric of society.
>>
>><g> A mixed metaphor, but appreciated...
>
> <grin>
>
> Yes, quite.

How does one undermine a fabric? I'd like to try <g>...

> I think the overall sentiment to be correct though, and in many
> respects, I think that I could prove most of it to be a statment of
> fact, if it ever came to court.

Hmm, you might have dificulty proving the "dribbling onanists" bit,
unless you are much more intimate with the regulars here than I want to
think about <g>.

> I have some difficulty understanding why any sane person takes on *any*
> of the roles in UKV/ "Da Committee"/Control etc. given the amount of
> in-group cannabalism and vitriol that is exhibited by some. It really is
> an unpleasant place to be, and one I am happy to only have to visit when
> I need to.

"Because it needs to be done". I don't like having 'power', or telling
other people what to do (it's why I have avoided management positions at
work, I left my first job because they wanted to 'promote' me to
management), but all of my family have a tendency to see that something
needs doing and so do it. It's known in some places as "insufficient
reluctance" (or "didn't run fast enough")...

> Keep on truckin' Chris and don't let the bastards grind you down. :-)

"Illegitimi non carborundum" is a good motto <g>...

Chris C

Adam D. Barratt

Nov 24, 2004, 5:09:37 AM11/24/04
In article <e2n8q0d1rlmvo0o6q...@4ax.com>, "deKay"
<an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote in uk.net.news.config:
[...]

> ugv.handheld.misc would create the orphan group ugv.handheld anyway.

Not on any vaguely competently managed server it won't. (Witness the
lack of the groups `uk' and `uk.net.news').

Adam
--
*** The previous line contains the naughty word "$&".\n
if /(ibm|apple|awk)/; # :-)

FatHippy

Nov 24, 2004, 6:30:22 AM11/24/04
In message <slrncq8nc9...@ccserver.keris.net>, Chris Croughton
<ch...@keristor.net> writes
>On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:48:51 +0000, FatHippy
> <{$spamtrap$}@fathippy.net> wrote:
>
>> In message <slrncq6bac...@ccserver.keris.net>, Chris Croughton
>> <ch...@keristor.net> writes
>>>
>>>Oh, true, but it's a silly one because I read that RFD at least 4 times
>>>and didn't spot the obvious.
>>
>> Word blindness. We've all had it at one point or another.
>> Given that the person who drafted the proposal in the first place has
>> admitted that he didn't spot the ommission either..........:-)
>
>It's always harder to spot errors in something you wrote yourself,
>because you know what it should have said. I get really annoyed when I
>see a post or email I've sent with silly errors that I really know
>better (there/their/they're, for instance, I know perfectly well which
>one I mean, I think the right one, my fingers type something different
>and reading it at the time I see what I thought I typed rather than
>what's really there, then when I see it coming back I get annoyed).

Ah, that is quite a different malaise.
Dyslexic and disobediant digits is a well documented Usenet phenomenon.
Often occurs when perhaps you are distracted, tired, drunk, stoned or
posting at odd hours in the morning. Or in some cases, all of the above.

>>><g> A mixed metaphor, but appreciated...
>>
>> <grin>
>>
>> Yes, quite.
>
>How does one undermine a fabric? I'd like to try <g>...

Just go to the bottom of it with a large shovel and start digging.
Unless of course it is the fabric of the space/time continuum, in which
case you can approach it from any direction/dimension you want.
You will still need a shovel however.

:-)

>> I think the overall sentiment to be correct though, and in many
>> respects, I think that I could prove most of it to be a statment of
>> fact, if it ever came to court.
>
>Hmm, you might have dificulty proving the "dribbling onanists" bit,
>unless you are much more intimate with the regulars here than I want to
>think about <g>.

Yes, with the benefit of hindsight, I might have been better clarifying
that.
Dribbling, in this context, was supposed to infer "drool from the chin"
as often found in the phrase "dribbling idiot". I can see however, that
my inclusion of the word right next to the word onanist could imply
something quite different. Certainly, if I had meant it in that way, I
would have at least included the word "impotent" and may have tried to
also include the words "futile attempt, flaccid and rancid seepage"

>> I have some difficulty understanding why any sane person takes on *any*
>> of the roles in UKV/ "Da Committee"/Control etc. given the amount of
>> in-group cannabalism and vitriol that is exhibited by some. It really is
>> an unpleasant place to be, and one I am happy to only have to visit when
>> I need to.
>
>"Because it needs to be done". I don't like having 'power', or telling
>other people what to do (it's why I have avoided management positions at
>work, I left my first job because they wanted to 'promote' me to
>management), but all of my family have a tendency to see that something
>needs doing and so do it. It's known in some places as "insufficient
>reluctance" (or "didn't run fast enough")...

Yes, I have been there on many occasions myself.
I am currently trying to extricate myself from a management job and go
back to "wielding spanners", which is where I am happiest.

deKay

Nov 24, 2004, 6:34:07 AM11/24/04
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 24 Nov
2004 10:48:29 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.net.news.config,

yawatina tan reek esk "Tim Miller" <ne...@economic-truth.co.uk> fornis do
marikano es bono tan el:

>>> uk.games.video.handheld.gameboy is necessary.

>> ugv.handheld.misc would create the orphan group ugv.handheld anyway.
>>
>Eh?
>
>There's no orphan group uk.games.video

True. I assume the uk.* hierarchy is different then, as in other hierarchies
it is considered bad form to create a child group of a non-existant parent
group.

I have only been involved in comp., alt., free., and rec. group creation
previously, and this argument has come up for ALL of those (even free., where
ANYTHING goes...)

Paul Harper

Nov 24, 2004, 8:05:40 AM11/24/04
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:30:22 +0000, FatHippy
<{$spamtrap$}@fathippy.net> wrote:

>Unless of course it is the fabric of the space/time continuum, in which
>case you can approach it from any direction/dimension you want.
>You will still need a shovel however.

And a sonic screwdriver.

Chris Croughton

Nov 24, 2004, 7:58:26 AM11/24/04
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:34:07 +0000, deKay
<an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 24 Nov
> 2004 10:48:29 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.net.news.config,
> yawatina tan reek esk "Tim Miller" <ne...@economic-truth.co.uk> fornis do
> marikano es bono tan el:

>>> ugv.handheld.misc would create the orphan group ugv.handheld anyway.
>>>
>>Eh?
>>
>>There's no orphan group uk.games.video
>
> True. I assume the uk.* hierarchy is different then, as in other hierarchies
> it is considered bad form to create a child group of a non-existant parent
> group.

Er, not in either alt.* or rec.*.

> I have only been involved in comp., alt., free., and rec. group creation
> previously, and this argument has come up for ALL of those (even free., where
> ANYTHING goes...)

Where are, for instance:

rec
rec.arts
rec.arts.sf
rec.music
rec.music.collecting
alt.fan
alt.wesley.haters.die
alt.wesley.haters.die.die
alt.support

etc.? In the case of the alt.*.die.die.die groups several layers are
created at once (none of the parent groups with fewer than one 'die'
exist).

There is a body of opinion, dating from when Usenet was new, which is
the opposite to yours, that a well-managed hierarchy should only have
'leaf' groups (with no group having a subgroup) so that the general
group is called .misc (or in rare cases .general). The technical
reasons for this are (probably) no longer valid...

Perhaps you are thinking of one of the common implementations of a
newsbase, where group elements are direcory names. In that case an
extra parent directory would indeed be created on the server, but there
would be no group there (it would take up a whole inode!) because it
wouldn't appear in the active file.

Chris C

Paul Harper

Nov 24, 2004, 8:11:13 AM11/24/04
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:41:21 +0000, Chris Croughton
<ch...@keristor.net> wrote:

>Oh, I know. The Nokia 6310 is one of the simplest, and that has
>Bluetooth, WAP and gods know what else. I use it as a phone and ignore
>the rest. Yes, I've done the "OK, but what about phone calls?" thing as
>well...

Yup. My ancient Nokia 7110 is still doing sterling service as a phone
& texter. If I need anything else I use something better designed than
a mobile phone for it.

Chris Croughton

Nov 24, 2004, 7:41:21 AM11/24/04
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:15:59 +0000, Mother
<@ {m} @@101fc.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:08:43 +0000, Chris Croughton
> <ch...@keristor.net> wrote:
>
>>and regard a mobile phone as
>>only for making and occasionally receiving phone calls.
>

> Try to buy 'a phone' these days. The sales executive was very keen to
> tell me how many games, text messages, photos and video the phones can
> handle - together with a super deals on airtime for text messages and
> photo messages. (I think I've sent one txt in the last 3 years) I
> got a very strange 'look' when I asked what it was like for making
> calls...

Oh, I know. The Nokia 6310 is one of the simplest, and that has
Bluetooth, WAP and gods know what else. I use it as a phone and ignore
the rest. Yes, I've done the "OK, but what about phone calls?" thing as
well...

Chris C

deKay

Nov 24, 2004, 8:31:06 AM11/24/04
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 24 Nov
2004 12:58:26 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.net.news.config,
yawatina tan reek esk Chris Croughton <ch...@keristor.net> fornis do marikano
es bono tan el:

>> True. I assume the uk.* hierarchy is different then, as in other hierarchies

>> it is considered bad form to create a child group of a non-existant parent
>> group.
>
>Er, not in either alt.* or rec.*.
>
>> I have only been involved in comp., alt., free., and rec. group creation
>> previously, and this argument has come up for ALL of those (even free., where
>> ANYTHING goes...)
>
>Where are, for instance:
>
> rec
> rec.arts

Yes, I know. I didn't say it didn't happen, I said it was bad form.

>Perhaps you are thinking of one of the common implementations of a
>newsbase, where group elements are direcory names.

No, I'm thinking of the arguments that cropped up in the past over the
creation of groups I have been a part of.

I'm happy to admit I am probably wrong on this issue, but that is how it was
outlined to me on multiple occasions in the past.

Pete Fenelon

Nov 24, 2004, 8:43:04 AM11/24/04
Paul Harper <pa...@harper.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:41:21 +0000, Chris Croughton
> <ch...@keristor.net> wrote:
>
>>Oh, I know. The Nokia 6310 is one of the simplest, and that has
>>Bluetooth, WAP and gods know what else. I use it as a phone and ignore
>>the rest. Yes, I've done the "OK, but what about phone calls?" thing as
>>well...
>
> Yup. My ancient Nokia 7110 is still doing sterling service as a phone
> & texter. If I need anything else I use something better designed than
> a mobile phone for it.
>
> Paul.

I still think the 6150 was an advance on any of its predecessors - and
all of its successors....

pete
--
pe...@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

Sprite

Nov 24, 2004, 9:42:26 AM11/24/04

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:03:09 -0000, "Sprite"
> <sue.k...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>The Nintendo DS is not a Gameboy - there is a future Gameboy planned
>>though
>>no details have been unveiled as yet.
>
> So what, DS posts could quite happily exist in the gameboy group.
> There are several there already and I see no one moaning.

There is no proper home for them. There are also DS posts in the Gamecube
group, and in the misc group. Surely it makes more sense to have one home
for them all?

The DS is not a Gameboy. Why is it treated any differently? The Nintendo
64 had it's own group, as does the Gamecube, and of course the Gameboy. The
DS is a new console, but we're not asking for a DS-specific group - there
are many more handhelds on the horizon as other companies want to take on
Nintendo in this market, it would be an ideal place to discuss them.

uk.games.video.misc has proven that having a general group for cross-console
discussion etc is a worthwhile plan, whilst still having set places for each
of the others. I do not see why having a handheld group would create such a
problem. Yes, GB posts could go there but should probably stay in the
Gameboy group, as is the case with other console specific discussion in
regards to ugvm. How about if people wanted to ask a question about many
handhelds - ie. "Which should I get?". PSP owners wouldn't see it if they
stuck to the Playstation Group, for example, and no one else with experience
of the other handhelds would be able to offer advice if it just stayed in
the Gameboy group.

>>uk.games.video.handheld would provide
>>an ideal place for discussion for not only DS and PSP users
>
> I know but this RFD does nothing to solve the problem of a group that
> will be made redundant if the handheld group is created.

You don't know it would be made redundant. uk.games.video.gamecube,
uk.games.video.xbox and uk.games.video.playstation all exist happily with
uk.games.video.misc around.

Until it can definitely be said that it would be killing the gb group,
getting rid of it shouldn't be an option until it clearly is dying.

>>(PSP posts could flood the PS2 newsgroup and people would not be happy
>
> The charter of the playstation group states...
>
> "This group is for the discussion of the Sony Playstation range
> (including the Playstation, the PSone, and the Playstation 2, plus any
> other games consoles bearing the "Playstation" name) and its games and
> peripherals."
>
> Therefore PSP posts would be very much on topic in the group. It is
> not exactly a high traffic group either.

This charter was made before the announcement of the PSP. People are
already getting annoyed in ugvm because of the volume of DS posts. The PSP
is farther off and so this will occur, too, either in ugvm or ugvp. It
makes sense to have a home for both the DS and the PSP and the lesser-known
handhelds of past, present and future.

>>- just look in
>>uk.games.video.misc to see what trouble the flood of DS posts is doing,
>>and
>>Half Life 2 for that matter...),
>
> If you think that is a flood, you are not very experienced with
> usenet.

On the contrary I have been using usenet for the last 8 years.

No, it's not a flood in the unbearable sense but it means that a lot of
people don't want to bother reading through all the posts on something that
they have absolutely no interest in. In a handheld group, theoretically,
all of the posters would be interested in the subject matter. ugvm is *too*
generalised for this to be the case.

> Also interesting choice of examples because while it could be argued
> that the DS has no group and therefore by definition, discussions
> belong in the misc group. HL2 discussions belong in
> uk.games.computer.misc. What point are you trying to make and do you
> think anything will change if the handheld group is created.

uk.games.computer.misc isn't part of the ugv* hierarchy, whereas this
handheld group would be. People who post in the ugv* hierarchy may not have
known of the existence of ugcm (I certainly didn't), whereas they would know
of the handheld group as this is being discussed heavily there.

I think things will definitely change, the ugv* hierarchy is quite a
close-knit online community if you will, and will definitely support
uk.games.video.handheld if/when it is created.

>>but also users of mobile phone gaming,
>>N-Gage for example, or games on their PDAs, The Gizmondo and also the
>>Zodiac
>>as well as a host of other retro handhelds such as the Gamegear.
>
> The charter of the misc group states. "Group for the UK-centric
> discussion of all aspects of the video-game industry, except those for
> which existing newsgroups exist in the uk.games.video.* hierarchy."

Yes, so we want to create a new group for the home of handheld discussion.
What is your point, here?

> It is easy to see why regular readers of the group could mistake it
> for the groovy gangs secret hideout however.

So we're friendly and know our own way of doing things etc, but is that not
half the point of newsgroups? The other half being giving answers to
questions and discussing things like the imminent release of a new game or
what-have-you... all of which occurs.

--
Sue

Steve Jackson

Nov 24, 2004, 11:14:47 AM11/24/04
Would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel laz?

> I will object to any fast track on the basis that the new group makes
> an existing (and low traffic) group redundant. This RFD makes no
> attempt to address that.

The Gameboy group should stay, at least for a short time to allow people the
chance to move over to the new group. You are so far alone in your opinion.

> I would be rather concerned if the committee did not consider this a
> "well founded" objection.

For reasons already stated by others in this thread I do not think it is well
founded at all.

> Perhaps the proponent should address my
> concerns instead of ignoring me.

You had made one post previously to which an adequate reply that I agreed
with was made by someone else. I have hardly been ignoring you, but it is
something I will do quite happily in the future if you are going to take that
tone with me.

--
:: Steve Jackson Gamertag: SteJay City of Heroes: Blue-Vixen on Victory
:: Use Amazon? http://tinyurl.com/4kdn to help a preschool charity
:: "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega." - Brodie (Mallrats)

Mike Stanton

Nov 24, 2004, 12:35:13 PM11/24/04

"Mother" <"@ {m} @"@101fc.net> wrote in message

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:08:43 +0000, Chris Croughton
> <ch...@keristor.net> wrote:
>
>>and regard a mobile phone as
>>only for making and occasionally receiving phone calls.
>
> Try to buy 'a phone' these days. The sales executive was very keen to
> tell me how many games, text messages, photos and video the phones can
> handle - together with a super deals on airtime for text messages and
> photo messages. (I think I've sent one txt in the last 3 years) I
> got a very strange 'look' when I asked what it was like for making
> calls...

LOL

When I went to buy *my* first mobile this year as opposed to all those I
have bought or taken contracts on for my children, my daughter went with me
and told the sales person I was a "mobile virgin."

--
Mike

Molly Mockford

Nov 24, 2004, 1:59:54 PM11/24/04
At 11:30:22 on Wed, 24 Nov 2004, FatHippy <{$spamtrap$}@fathippy.net>
wrote in <HnMGbVuO...@fathippy.net>:

>In message <slrncq8nc9...@ccserver.keris.net>, Chris Croughton
><ch...@keristor.net> writes

>>How does one undermine a fabric? I'd like to try <g>...

>Just go to the bottom of it with a large shovel and start digging.
>Unless of course it is the fabric of the space/time continuum, in which
>case you can approach it from any direction/dimension you want.
>You will still need a shovel however.

Unless Eddy's still there, in which case be careful.

>Dribbling, in this context, was supposed to infer "drool from the chin"
>as often found in the phrase "dribbling idiot". I can see however, that
>my inclusion of the word right next to the word onanist could imply
>something quite different.

Especially to those familiar with the works of John Cooper Clarke,
specifically the lines "He makes love like a footballer - he dribbles
before he shoots".

>Yes, I have been there on many occasions myself.
>I am currently trying to extricate myself from a management job and go
>back to "wielding spanners", which is where I am happiest.

Ah, Usenet. I first read that as "wielding spammers".

FatHippy

Nov 24, 2004, 2:13:51 PM11/24/04
In message <vn19q09kgl1ohplan...@4ax.com>, Paul Harper
<pa...@harper.net> writes

>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:30:22 +0000, FatHippy
><{$spamtrap$}@fathippy.net> wrote:
>
>>Unless of course it is the fabric of the space/time continuum, in which
>>case you can approach it from any direction/dimension you want.
>>You will still need a shovel however.
>
>And a sonic screwdriver.

Accepted. :-)

FatHippy

Nov 24, 2004, 2:23:03 PM11/24/04
In message <TVfMJyUq...@molly.mockford>, Molly Mockford
<nospam...@mollymockford.me.uk> writes

>At 11:30:22 on Wed, 24 Nov 2004, FatHippy <{$spamtrap$}@fathippy.net>
>wrote in <HnMGbVuO...@fathippy.net>:

[snip]

>>Dribbling, in this context, was supposed to infer "drool from the
>>chin" as often found in the phrase "dribbling idiot". I can see
>>however, that my inclusion of the word right next to the word onanist
>>could imply something quite different.
>
>Especially to those familiar with the works of John Cooper Clarke,
>specifically the lines "He makes love like a footballer - he dribbles
>before he shoots".

LOL.
Nothing more to say, is there. ;-)

>>Yes, I have been there on many occasions myself.
>>I am currently trying to extricate myself from a management job and go
>>back to "wielding spanners", which is where I am happiest.
>
>Ah, Usenet. I first read that as "wielding spammers".

That works both ways, because I just read that as "welding spammers" and
was nodding my head vigourously in agreement, while reaching for the
torch and the oxyacetylene.

Chris Croughton

Nov 25, 2004, 7:19:16 AM11/25/04
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:09:01 +0000, laz
<m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 00:22:40 +0000, sp...@gbafaq.co.uk (Jim Taylor)
> wrote:
>
>>Other way round for me, I'd rather see a new group and then get the
>>gameboy group removed.
>
> Does this mean you will be volunteering to RFD the gameboys groups
> removal or are you hoping someone else will.
>
> Surely it makes more sense to do this all at the same time.

It won't happen. The proposal is not to rename the gameboy (or any
other) newsgroup, it is to create a new newsgroup for general discussion
about games on handhelds. Any proposal to remove the gameboy group will
have to be separate (and will need to justify that removal with
statistics indicating that it is unused, which you have not done so
far).

Even in cases of 'renaming', the old group is not removed immediately,
time is given for its users to move over to the new one (months,
usually) and if there were still a core group of users of the old group
it would likely not be deleted even then, unless there were some
technical reason (namespace, for instance) why it had to be removed.

Chris C

Chris Croughton

Nov 25, 2004, 7:10:55 AM11/25/04
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:31:06 +0000, deKay
<an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 24 Nov
> 2004 12:58:26 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.net.news.config,
> yawatina tan reek esk Chris Croughton <ch...@keristor.net> fornis do marikano
> es bono tan el:

I deny it! I didn't reek of tan while fornicating americans! <g>

(Out of interest, how many and which languages are in that?)

>>> True. I assume the uk.* hierarchy is different then, as in other hierarchies
>>> it is considered bad form to create a child group of a non-existant parent
>>> group.
>>
>>Er, not in either alt.* or rec.*.
>>
>>> I have only been involved in comp., alt., free., and rec. group creation
>>> previously, and this argument has come up for ALL of those (even free., where
>>> ANYTHING goes...)
>>
>>Where are, for instance:
>>
>> rec
>> rec.arts
>
> Yes, I know. I didn't say it didn't happen, I said it was bad form.

I disagree that it is bad form, and so do all those who prefer '.misc'
groups (and there are many involved with the Big8 and altnet as well as
in regional hierarchies). My point is that it's not unique to the uk.*
hierarchy, it has been a feature of all of the hierarchies since Usenet
started. Perhaps one side is temporarily out-shouting the other in some
places at the moment, but it's certainly not an absolute rule.

>>Perhaps you are thinking of one of the common implementations of a
>>newsbase, where group elements are direcory names.
>
> No, I'm thinking of the arguments that cropped up in the past over the
> creation of groups I have been a part of.

Well, since they were arguments presumably there were people on both
sides. Both proclaiming that their way was the One True Way and the
other was "bad form" (or worse).

> I'm happy to admit I am probably wrong on this issue, but that is how it was
> outlined to me on multiple occasions in the past.

By one side, presumably, since there are vociferous people on both.

You may be confusing it with the "bad form" (in the Big8 at least) of
creating a subgroup just to get the name (using the dots as
punctuation), where there is no intention of it being a sub-hierarchy.
For instance, names like

alt.xxx.die.die.die
alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe

are indeed seen as "bad form" outside altnet, where they were a running
joke) because there was no intention of creating (for instance)

alt.xxx.die.die.live

or indeed in most cases alt.xxx. anything else. That is also "bad form"
in uk.* as well, if a name wants punctuation it uses a hyphen. But
there is no reason that, for instance, uk.games, uk.gov or uk.local have
to exist (they don't, and the latter two don't even have any kind of
'misc' group).

Chris C

deKay

Nov 25, 2004, 4:33:24 PM11/25/04
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Thu, 25 Nov
2004 12:10:55 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.net.news.config,

yawatina tan reek esk Chris Croughton <ch...@keristor.net> fornis do marikano
es bono tan el:

>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:31:06 +0000, deKay
> <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 24 Nov
>> 2004 12:58:26 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.net.news.config,
>> yawatina tan reek esk Chris Croughton <ch...@keristor.net> fornis do marikano
>> es bono tan el:
>
>I deny it! I didn't reek of tan while fornicating americans! <g>
>
>(Out of interest, how many and which languages are in that?)

None. And none :)

Andrew Hodgson

Nov 25, 2004, 6:34:55 PM11/25/04
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 02:28:04 -0000, "Sprite"
<sue.k...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

[...]
>Sorry to sound dumb but, "big 8"?

Non-regonal hierarchies with a managed procedure. E.G. comp.*,
misc.*, rec.*, sci.*, talk.*, humanities.*, news.* and soc.*. These
are all managed under the same procedures, and are the most
distributed hierarchies across sites.

Andrew.
My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.

Molly Mockford

Nov 25, 2004, 9:33:04 PM11/25/04
At 21:33:24 on Thu, 25 Nov 2004, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote
in <9rjcq096jvq31728i...@4ax.com>:

>Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Thu, 25 Nov
>2004 12:10:55 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.net.news.config,
>yawatina tan reek esk Chris Croughton <ch...@keristor.net> fornis do marikano
>es bono tan el:
>
>>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:31:06 +0000, deKay
>> <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 24 Nov
>>> 2004 12:58:26 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
>>>uk.net.news.config,
>>> yawatina tan reek esk Chris Croughton <ch...@keristor.net> fornis do
>>>marikano
>>> es bono tan el:
>>
>>I deny it! I didn't reek of tan while fornicating americans! <g>

But you didn't say whether or not it was good.

>>(Out of interest, how many and which languages are in that?)
>
>None. And none :)

Esperanto?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Geoff Berrow

Nov 26, 2004, 9:06:51 AM11/26/04
I noticed that Message-ID: <qkceq0p8g5gsmfrh7...@4ax.com>
from Mother contained the following:

>spent around an hour trying to tell me how something called
>predictive text works. Apparently it makes texting easy and fast...

As long as you can spell.

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

kat

Nov 26, 2004, 9:15:24 AM11/26/04
Geoff Berrow said

> I noticed that Message-ID:
> <qkceq0p8g5gsmfrh7...@4ax.com> from Mother contained
> the following:
>
>> spent around an hour trying to tell me how something called
>> predictive text works. Apparently it makes texting easy and fast...
>
> As long as you can spell.

Just use easy words.:-)

I love predictive text, but strangely, the younger members of the family
never use it.

--
kat
>^..^<

Adam D. Barratt

Nov 26, 2004, 9:09:23 AM11/26/04
In article <04deq0du5ehi64mo7...@4ax.com>, "Mother"
<"@ {m} @"@101fc.net> wrote in uk.net.news.config:
> On 24 Nov 2004 11:09:37 +0100, "Adam D. Barratt"
> <usene...@adam-barratt.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>Not on any vaguely competently managed server it won't. (Witness the
>>lack of the groups `uk' and `uk.net.news').
>
> Doesn't stop giganews et al still carrying uk.net.news though...

Giganews appear to be immune to clue. They did express an interest in
cleaning up their group list, but then went quiet.

Still, better than Nildram's response. *sigh*

Adam
--
Brigands will demand your money or your life, but a woman will demand
both.

Trooper

Nov 26, 2004, 10:33:45 AM11/26/04
kat loved his monkey enough to say...

because you can't use txt spk in predictive text.

--
Trooper
use...@trooperlooper.co.uk.invalid (remove the obvious)

kat

Nov 26, 2004, 10:57:07 AM11/26/04
Trooper said

> kat loved his monkey enough to say...

HER!

That is a sexist attribution. :-)

>> Geoff Berrow said
>>
>>> I noticed that Message-ID:
>>> <qkceq0p8g5gsmfrh7...@4ax.com> from Mother contained
>>> the following:

>>> As long as you can spell.
>>
>> Just use easy words.:-)
>>
>> I love predictive text, but strangely, the younger members of the
>> family never use it.
>>

> because you can't use txt spk in predictive text.

Can't say they do much of that either....

--
kat
>^..^<

It is loading more messages.