Who originated this song: "Northwest Passage" ?

InTheNeighborhood

May 7, 2010, 9:35:59 PM5/7/10
I've always believed this was a Stan Rogers song from the beginning,
but I have learned of an Albion Band song, "Wolfe", with same melody
but different lyrics, as here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH9C2GIVOZM

Who appropriated the melody? Did the late Stan Roger's source this
from an older source, or did he compose it himself? Did Ashley
Hutchings get this from Rogers or an older source?

Hoping to be enlightened,

Neil Kosloff

Tony Quinn

May 8, 2010, 5:56:32 AM5/8/10
In message
<2b2cff45-16dd-4704...@k19g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
InTheNeighborhood <ordina...@gmail.com> writes

It's my understanding that Rogers *did* write it, but Ashley thought
that it was trad and recycled the tune...
--
If one person has delusions, we call them psychotic. If, however, 1.5 billion
people have delusions we must apparently call them a religious group, and

Michael Liebmann

May 8, 2010, 11:03:33 PM5/8/10

"Tony Quinn" <to...@tqvideo.co.uk> wrote in message

> In message
> <2b2cff45-16dd-4704...@k19g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
> InTheNeighborhood <ordina...@gmail.com> writes
>>I've always believed this was a Stan Rogers song from the beginning,
>>but I have learned of an Albion Band song, "Wolfe", with same melody
>>but different lyrics, as here:
>>
>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH9C2GIVOZM
>>
>>Who appropriated the melody? Did the late Stan Roger's source this
>>from an older source, or did he compose it himself? Did Ashley
>>Hutchings get this from Rogers or an older source?
>
> It's my understanding that Rogers *did* write it, but Ashley thought that
> it was trad and recycled the tune...
> --
It is a Stan Rogers piece of music.

And I miss him. He was taken from us too soon.