HYPNOSIS, Hypnotic Regression.

sn...@lsl.co.uk

Jan 7, 1993, 9:23:34 AM1/7/93
Hi folks,

Odd request this, but..

I want to find some people who can induce hypnotic regression, you know, where
they take you back to some earlier point in your life to work through something
in the past. I'd also like to know who NOT to go to.

I have some things I want our of my head, seems like one way to go about it.

Some of you will probably think the snail is well odd now, oh well.
--
sn...@lsl.co.uk

"Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless
means to side with the powerful, not to be Neutral."
Quote by Freire.
Poster by OXFAM.

Alan Greig

Jan 7, 1993, 11:41:56 AM1/7/93
In article <1993Jan7.1...@lsl.co.uk>, sn...@lsl.co.uk writes:
> Hi folks,
>
> Odd request this, but..
>
> I want to find some people who can induce hypnotic regression, you know, where
> they take you back to some earlier point in your life to work through something
> in the past. I'd also like to know who NOT to go to.

Take care here. While this can probably help in some cases I believe
that "False memory syndrome" under regression hypnosis is now well
documented.

Faulty recall of child abuse, alien abduction and satanic covens can
be induced by the hypnotist merely suggesting things to the patient.

> I have some things I want our of my head, seems like one way to go about it.

As long as you take care as to what else might be got into your head...
--
Alan Greig Janet: Al...@UK.AC.DUNDEE-TECH
Dundee Institute of Technology Internet: Al...@DCT.AC.UK

J Strobridge

Jan 7, 1993, 3:11:06 PM1/7/93
ccd...@dct.ac.uk (Alan Greig) writes:

>> I want to find some people who can induce hypnotic regression, you know, where
>> they take you back to some earlier point in your life to work through something
>> in the past. I'd also like to know who NOT to go to.

>Take care here. While this can probably help in some cases I believe
>that "False memory syndrome" under regression hypnosis is now well
>documented.

I must agree with this warning - be very careful here. It's
not even so much what the hypnotist suggests that causes invented
memories but the fact that no memories exist in the first place and so
the patient starts to invent them almost like dreaming, picking up bits
and pieces of almost anything that seems to make sense and sticking them
together in a story. The sense of logical reality seems to be
suppressed during hypnosis and on waking the whole invented story is
accepted as a "true" memory and, if there are later regression processes
the story is gradually built up on each occasion.

This is slightly worrying since I've heard that the police are
prepared to accept statements from witnesses under hypnosis when
questioned about some crime or other they may have seen.

I've also heard scare stories that patients under regular
hypnosis can become highly susceptable to the situation and can easily
fall into a hypnotic condition without warning. Whether this is true
or not I've no idea!

Think I'll stick to dreaming!

jill

Dave Quinn

Jan 8, 1993, 5:10:05 AM1/8/93
to mail...@demon.co.uk
In article <29...@castle.ed.ac.uk>, ese...@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Strobridge) writes:

|> the patient starts to invent them almost like dreaming, picking up bits
|> and pieces of almost anything that seems to make sense and sticking them
|> together in a story.

Really? I was aware of the problems of hypnotic suggestion but had never
heard of the mind just making things up on its own except maybe in children.

I would be very interested to know what you base that on.

|> I've also heard scare stories that patients under regular
|> hypnosis can become highly susceptable to the situation and can easily
|> fall into a hypnotic condition without warning. Whether this is true
|> or not I've no idea!

I somehow doubt it. Some people naturally succumb to hypnosis more readily
than others. And I would hazard a guess that you can *learn* to go under,
so practise would make this easier. But saying that people can sort of
flip out with little provocation seems to be wandering into the realms
of Science Fiction.

( *#/* ) Alex Technologies Ltd.
David Quinn ) *##*\## ( CP House,
da...@alex.com ( *###*_/-*##* ) 97-107 Uxbridge Road,
) _____/______ ( Ealing,London W5 5TL
_____________________(______\----------/_______)________________________

sn...@lsl.co.uk

Jan 8, 1993, 12:19:23 PM1/8/93
In article <1993Jan7.1...@dct.ac.uk>, ccd...@dct.ac.uk (Alan Greig) writes:
> In article <1993Jan7.1...@lsl.co.uk>, sn...@lsl.co.uk writes:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Odd request this, but..
>>
>> I want to find some people who can induce hypnotic regression, you know, where
>> they take you back to some earlier point in your life to work through something
>> in the past. I'd also like to know who NOT to go to.
>
> Take care here. While this can probably help in some cases I believe
> that "False memory syndrome" under regression hypnosis is now well
> documented.
>
> Faulty recall of child abuse, alien abduction and satanic covens can
> be induced by the hypnotist merely suggesting things to the patient.

I'm pretty sure no of these have happened in the past, I know what the problem
is (well the vague area), I want it sorted.

>> I have some things I want our of my head, seems like one way to go about it.
>
> As long as you take care as to what else might be got into your head...

This is a potential problem, I admit.

Richard Tobin

Jan 11, 1993, 7:28:54 AM1/11/93
In article <1993Jan7.1...@dct.ac.uk> ccd...@dct.ac.uk (Alan Greig) writes:
>Take care here. While this can probably help in some cases I believe
>that "False memory syndrome" under regression hypnosis is now well
>documented.

This confirms my view that hypnosis is a debugging mode for the human
brain.

It provides many of the standard facilities provided by debuggers:

- examining memory
- modifying memory
- control of output devices
- editing of input data ('your right hand feels very hot')
- setting breakpoints ('whenever you hear the word "fish"
shout "I'm a doughnut"')

Evidently the manufacturer forgot to disable the debugging feature
before releasing the product. Or maybe we're still in beta test.

-- Richard
--
Richard Tobin,
Human Communication Research Centre, R.T...@ed.ac.uk

Graham Wilson

Jan 14, 1993, 10:00:14 AM1/14/93
In article <1993Jan8.1...@alex.com> da...@alex.com (Dave Quinn) writes:
>In article <29...@castle.ed.ac.uk>, ese...@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Strobridge) writes:
>
>|> I've also heard scare stories that patients under regular
>|> hypnosis can become highly susceptable to the situation and can easily
>|> fall into a hypnotic condition without warning. Whether this is true
>|> or not I've no idea!

** Usually it takes a few attempts in order to hynotise someone properly.
The person must feel relaxed and come to trust you which makes this
initially a little difficult.

Generally, however, you cannot fall into hypnotic condition without
warning - You are talking more about a case of vivid day-dreaming.

>I somehow doubt it. Some people naturally succumb to hypnosis more readily
>than others. And I would hazard a guess that you can *learn* to go under,
>so practise would make this easier. But saying that people can sort of
>flip out with little provocation seems to be wandering into the realms
>of Science Fiction.

** There are certain focal points that if related to issues considered
while under deep hypnosis can help place someone into an easier trace
than would be normal at a later date in the futre.

Although on your point that some people succumb
to hypnosis more readily than others this is true. The more intelligent
the person the easier it is to hypnotise them. The more vivid an
imagination a person possesses the deep the hypnosis will be.

* Graham Wilson * lsg...@cck.coventry.ac.uk *
* LL.B. Law III * Coventry University *

Dave Quinn

Jan 15, 1993, 5:21:50 AM1/15/93
to mail...@demon.co.uk
In article <C0un0...@cck.coventry.ac.uk>, lsg...@cck.coventry.ac.uk (Graham Wilson) writes:
|> In article <1993Jan8.1...@alex.com> da...@alex.com (Dave Quinn) writes:
|> >In article <29...@castle.ed.ac.uk>, ese...@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Strobridge) writes:
|> Although on your point that some people succumb
|> to hypnosis more readily than others this is true. The more intelligent
|> the person the easier it is to hypnotise them. The more vivid an
|> imagination a person possesses the deep the hypnosis will be.

I would say that the criteria for being easy to hypnotise are a bit more
complicated than intelligence alone. The ability to relax and let your
concious mind calm down are probably more important.

Without being able to get into that state you have little chance of being
hypnotised. Though I think that anyone can learn to get into that state
with practise.

In this respect, what many people refer to as intelligence (logical
cognitive ability) is a definite handicap. Because they tend to use their
concious mind exclusively and have little access to any sort of intuition.

You get this sort of situation:-

Hypnotist: You are feeling sleepy.
Your brain: Am I feeling sleepy? My right hand feels a bit tingly.
Is it starting ?
Oh, my feet are feeling sort of hot.
Is that it?... blah blah blah

In other words your mind never shuts up long enough for you to just *feel*
sleepy! All in all, "intelligence" has a lot to answer for. I do agree that
imagination is important - but then again you can learn how to use that too.

Do you ever get the feeling that somewhere there is a Factory Recall Notice
for the human being sitting unopened on some celestial doormat??

Sunil Gupta

Jan 20, 1993, 9:44:35 AM1/20/93
Dave Quinn (da...@alex.com) wrote:

: I would say that the criteria for being easy to hypnotise are a bit more

: complicated than intelligence alone. The ability to relax and let your

: conscious mind calm down are probably more important.

Apparently the best time to hypnotise them is when they are in a natural state
of sleep. According to the theories of the mind, the subconscious mind is always
awake, but during waking hours the conscious part intercepts all messages to the
mind.

: Without being able to get into that state you have little chance of being

: hypnotised. Though I think that anyone can learn to get into that state
: with practise.

True, and if you want, I'll send you a step by step guide by email

[stuff blended]

: Do you ever get the feeling that somewhere there is a Factory Recall Notice

: for the human being sitting unopened on some celestial doormat??

I thought that was death. If you happen to accept various after life theories,
seems that there is a lot more to it than just ceasing to exist.

By the way whatever happened to alt.hypnosis.

Sunil Gupta ---- a computer scientist in my spare time
cs8...@uk.ac.brunel

Mr J W Bottomley

Jan 22, 1993, 6:48:08 AM1/22/93

>In this respect, what many people refer to as intelligence (logical
>cognitive ability) is a definite handicap. Because they tend to use their
>concious mind exclusively and have little access to any sort of intuition.

I don't think intelligence could ever be described as a handicap. If
intelligence is defined as the abilityt to form a new and appropriate,
flexible and accurate response to each new situation in the current
environment, then this is not a handicap.

As regards hypnosis, it worries me. What is someone doing in hypnosis
when they appear to accept `instructions' or `outside suggestions' from
the hypnotist that they would not normally do (although they might wish
to) in their fully concious state? An example is the hypnotic `cure' of
smoking addiction. My guess is that this is damaging, because the habit
addiction of smoking is replaced by setting up a new conditioned habit
of paying compulsive attention to the voice and instructions of
the hypnotist. I've had experience of knowing a number of people who have
been through this and after detailed talks with them have come to the
conclusion that the hypnotee is being partially, and only semi-conciously,
`dominated' by the hypnotis. This is voluntary, in the sense that they
have allowed this to happen, but only in a semi-concious state akin to
sleep, where they have not had sufficient normal perceptions, active
intelligence or self-will to contradict it. I think this is messing with
something poorly understood and I suspect that one day there will be massive
law suits against they hypnotists for screwing people up!

>In other words your mind never shuts up long enough for you to just *feel*
>sleepy! All in all, "intelligence" has a lot to answer for. I do agree that
>imagination is important - but then again you can learn how to use that too.

Imagination is surely part of intelligence. It seems to me that what you're saying here is that it might be good to sometimes suspend concious self-control
and thinking. I disagree with this. Of course, it might be good to sometimes
suspend unintelligent bad habits like anxiously worrying, which might be
what you are describing above, but they are not intelligent behaviour in
my book!

As regards hypnotic regression, I don't believe a word of it. Apart from
anything else, it doesn't add up logically. There are now approx. 40 times
as many people on the Earth as there were 500 years ago. How come the
Regressors manage to find an ancient dead soul in everyone they regress?
They should only hit about 1 in 40. Or do those dead souls go forth and
multiply. :-)

BTW, there are now more people alive than have ever lived, so don't
Jim Bottomley: ce...@uk.ac.warwick.csv ; apj...@uk.ac.cov.cck

Dave Quinn

Jan 22, 1993, 10:32:16 AM1/22/93
to mail...@demon.co.uk
In article <1jomto...@clover.csv.warwick.ac.uk>, ce...@csv.warwick.ac.uk (Mr J W Bottomley) writes:
|> In article <1993Jan15.1...@alex.com> ne...@alex.com writes:
|>
|> >In this respect, what many people refer to as intelligence (logical
|> >cognitive ability) is a definite handicap. Because they tend to use their
|> >concious mind exclusively and have little access to any sort of intuition.
|>
|> I don't think intelligence could ever be described as a handicap. If
|> intelligence is defined as the abilityt to form a new and appropriate,
|> flexible and accurate response to each new situation in the current
|> environment, then this is not a handicap.

Ok, you just defined intelligence as something completely different to
the statement you are disagreeing with. What you must mean is that you
disagree with my definition of intelligence. Fine, so do I. But my posting
says "what many people refer to ..." and is intended to make a point.

What I refer to are the 'voices' chattering away in your head that go to
make up your psyche. ( For anyone who isn't aware of the 'voices', try the
exercise of thinking of absolutely nothing for 5 minutes - anyone who
manages it is welcome to mail me!.) These 'voices' have been discussed at
length by Jung and others and go way out of the scope of this thread but
form a large part of your personality - wrinkles, neuroses and all.

|> As regards hypnosis, it worries me. What is someone doing in hypnosis

Clearly! If you don't like the idea of someone else trying to help you,
try meditation or just plain relaxation techniques. They are both very
beneficial for dealing with stress etc

|> As regards hypnotic regression, I don't believe a word of it.

|> blah blah blah

I don't know how we got onto this, but while were here... People are
capable of regressing themselves, without the aid of any other suggestion.

I sense a great deal of aggression and a deep mis-trust of others...

:-)

Sunil Gupta

Jan 29, 1993, 1:29:12 PM1/29/93
This may interest people in the West-London Region

.---. .--- .---. .---. .--- .---. .---. .---. .---.
| | | | | | | | | .-. | | | |
| | | | | | | | | `-' | | | |
|q--' +-- | --+ |q--' +-- `---. `---. / | | | |
| \ | | | | \ | | | | | | | |
| \ | | | | \ | | | | | | | |
+ `- `--- `---' + `-`--- `---' `---' -+- `---' + +

# # # # ### ### ### ### 0 ###
### \#/ ### # # # # \#\ # \#\
# # # # # # ### ### # ###

A regression hypnosis demonstration will be held this year. We are trying
to get it organized for the evening of Tuesday 9th February 1993.

Other details still haven't been fleshed out but I shall keep you all
informed when more details become available.

It will be by the hypnotist Jayadev, who has visited Brunel twice over the last
two years

Ticket/door prices have not been decided yet, but we hope to be able to keep
it to around the level for last year, which was about 2.50.

There is a maximum audience capacity of 240 people.

We expect the format to be much the same as last two years which will be

informal lecture
mass hypnotic regression (the whole audience voluntarily)
detailed hypnotic regression on best subjects
de-briefing
individual regression clinics over the next few days.

The price will also include a few vegetarian snacks, and discount on books
available in the regression session.

The regression session is being organised by the Vedic society, which is
a society of Brunel University's Student Union,

Disclaimer:
By the way, the University isn't responsible for holding the event or
connected to the event in any way. So if you have any queries, direct
them at me, by email, but NOT by letter to the University.`

This is a Bona fide student run event, I am NOT speaking on behalf of
the university. There is no connection implied or implicit between the
university and this event.

The date and time for the venue is still tentative. Please dont rely
upon these until confirmation is posted by me onto this newsgroup.