Philips DVD711 - Region Free?!?!

Richard Powell

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
Just purchased the above DVD player - previously only had DVD via the
computer.
Anyway I put in an American DVD NTSC format disc in the machine, which I
actually bought in the States (the disc that is), and which I know for a
fact is only available in the USA and yes it played no problem.
Would appreciate if anyone had an answer to this - could the disc itself be
region free as it certainly isn't Region 2?
I bought the player in shitty old Dixons so it certainly hasn't been
prechipped.
Haven't got another American DVD either to verify things.

So whats going on?

Thanks everyone,

Richard