Play.com - Packing?

RCE Defiant

Sep 15, 2002, 6:43:44 PM9/15/02
Not been to play for a bit. WTF is Packing on the status page?

--
RCE Defiant
==========

Jizzmaster Zero

Sep 15, 2002, 6:45:41 PM9/15/02
"RCE Defiant" <uk_media_dv...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Not been to play for a bit. WTF is Packing on the status page?

i'd imagine it's one of play's monkeys stuffing your DVD into a jiffy bag ;)

--------
overwh...@btinternet.SPAM
change .SPAM to .com to reply by e-mail

it's time to take out your ear-plugs..
http://www.wastedandready.com

RCE Defiant

Sep 15, 2002, 6:50:02 PM9/15/02
Spouting off at the keyboard Jizzmaster Zero spewed:

> "RCE Defiant" <uk_media_dv...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Not been to play for a bit. WTF is Packing on the status page?
>>

> i'd imagine it's one of play's monkeys stuffing your DVD into a jiffy bag ;)

Excellent!

chris@ukaskew

Sep 15, 2002, 6:50:22 PM9/15/02

"Jizzmaster Zero" <overwh...@btinternet.SPAM> wrote in message

> "RCE Defiant" <uk_media_dv...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Not been to play for a bit. WTF is Packing on the status page?
> >

> i'd imagine it's one of play's monkeys stuffing your DVD into a jiffy bag
;)

And ironically this can take days.

Chris.

Jizzmaster Zero

Sep 15, 2002, 6:50:44 PM9/15/02
"chris@ukaskew" <secombeR...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Jizzmaster Zero" <overwh...@btinternet.SPAM> wrote in message
> > i'd imagine it's one of play's monkeys stuffing your DVD into a jiffy
bag
> ;)
>

> And ironically this can take days.

well, no-one said they were trained monkeys..

RCE Defiant

Sep 15, 2002, 6:55:23 PM9/15/02
Spouting off at the keyboard Jizzmaster Zero spewed:

They just throw the DVD's against a wall that has envelopes sticking out, any
that find thier way in get shipped.

Mike Gray

Sep 15, 2002, 6:55:57 PM9/15/02
> Not been to play for a bit. WTF is Packing on the status page?

An excuse for the bastards not to send my "Mafia" for PC out, apparently.

:: sulk ::

Mike

Ridwan Hughes

Sep 15, 2002, 11:22:20 PM9/15/02
In article <am333l$qdd$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>,
uk_media_dv...@hotmail.com says...

> They just throw the DVD's against a wall that has envelopes sticking out, any
> that find thier way in get shipped.

I am reminded of a Paul Hogan Show sketch where he's in his flat and asks
his m8 if he wants any toast, so Hogan slaps a couple of pieces of bread
onto a couple of nails sticking out of an asbesdos board on the wall, then
proceeds to 'toast' the bread with a blowtorch.

Got that bit on vid somewhere.

--
Rid

==aXnet==

Sep 16, 2002, 1:44:02 AM9/16/02
I like the way it says "Posted xx/09/02" then it still takes another week to
get here :)

"Mike Gray" <mike...@spammenotbtinternet.com> wrote in message

Pheasant Plucker®

Sep 16, 2002, 7:44:09 AM9/16/02
Generally it means just that...the disc is being packed and should be with
you in 2-3 days...unless it is like my copy of A Knights Tale which was
ordered 23/8 has been in stock consistently since its release and is still
showing as packing on my status page...

In defence of Play I have ordered the bulk of my 278 disc collection from
them and with the exception of one disc not arriving (which they replaced
after the mandatory10-14 days) I have had no problems - the odd rattler
excepted of course.

They even exchanged my Jurassic Park DTS disc over a year after I bought it
because of the problem on the DTS soundtrack that affected the original
pressing.

Regards,
-pp-

StainlessSteelRat

Sep 16, 2002, 9:15:56 AM9/16/02
Mike Gray wrote:
>> Not been to play for a bit. WTF is Packing on the status page?
>
> An excuse for the bastards not to send my "Mafia" for PC out, apparently.

Well mine was posted on the 9th Sep, and I still don't have it >:o(

--
StainlessSteelRat
"I want to share something with you: The three little sentences that will get you through life.

RCE Defiant

Sep 16, 2002, 9:17:44 AM9/16/02
Spouting off at the keyboard StainlessSteelRat spewed:

> Mike Gray wrote:
>>> Not been to play for a bit. WTF is Packing on the status page?
>>
>> An excuse for the bastards not to send my "Mafia" for PC out, apparently.
>
> Well mine was posted on the 9th Sep, and I still don't have it >:o(

One of mine has gone from packing to shipped. Stopwatch started NOW.

Christopher G Brannigan

Sep 16, 2002, 9:17:54 AM9/16/02

"==aXnet==" <notn...@foryou.com> wrote in message

> I like the way it says "Posted xx/09/02" then it still takes another week
> get here :)

happened to me with holy smoke....cunts

Christopher G Brannigan

Sep 16, 2002, 9:20:02 AM9/16/02

"Pheasant Plucker®" <phea...@plucker.not> wrote in message

> Generally it means just that...the disc is being packed and should be with
> you in 2-3 days...unless it is like my copy of A Knights Tale which was
> ordered 23/8 has been in stock consistently since its release and is still
> showing as packing on my status page...
>
> In defence of Play I have ordered the bulk of my 278 disc collection from
> them and with the exception of one disc not arriving (which they replaced
> after the mandatory10-14 days) I have had no problems - the odd rattler
> excepted of course.

I've bought a few disks and generally can get disks from CD-Wow a lot
quicker than bloody play....everything I've ordered from play has always had
something I wasn't happy about except Phoneix Nights....

John Edwards

Sep 16, 2002, 10:29:26 AM9/16/02
Christopher G Brannigan let their monkey loose on the keyboard. It
typed:

> I've bought a few disks and generally can get disks from CD-Wow a lot
> quicker than bloody play....everything I've ordered from play has
> always had something I wasn't happy about except Phoneix Nights....

Ahh. Phoenix nights. Got that from Play. Fantastic. Never saw the first
series and only managed to catch bits of the second. Top comedy.

--
John
16 September 2002 15:16

Systems Analysis is the process of finding exactly the right
wrench to pound in the correct screw.

Christopher G Brannigan

Sep 16, 2002, 11:25:13 AM9/16/02

"John Edwards" <tin...@nospam-tintop.plus.com> wrote in message

> Christopher G Brannigan let their monkey loose on the keyboard. It
> typed:
>

> > I've bought a few disks and generally can get disks from CD-Wow a lot
> > quicker than bloody play....everything I've ordered from play has
> > always had something I wasn't happy about except Phoneix Nights....
> >

> Ahh. Phoenix nights. Got that from Play. Fantastic. Never saw the first
> series and only managed to catch bits of the second. Top comedy.

I had never seen it at all. My dad likes it so I ordered it for him. Just
finished watching it all today and it was very funny. The first episode was
the best.

Gerry: oh hello sue, is yer 'usband still in t'ospital?
Sue: no no
Gerry: thats good
Sue: he's dead...

and the bit in (I think) episode 3 or 4 when the horse is shagging the
mechanical bull....oh and Karate Kid The Musical.....funny as hell....

John Parkinson

Sep 16, 2002, 1:17:17 PM9/16/02
Christopher G Brannigan wrote:

>I've bought a few disks and generally can get disks from CD-Wow a lot
>quicker than bloody play....

Yup.

Ordered 2 disks from Play (both in stock) on Thursday, one from CD-Wow
(also in stock) on Friday and this morning's post only had the one from
cd-wow...

I think that's cd-wow being particularly good with their posting rather
than play being bad though.

--
John Parkinson --- Step over the Borderline
<http://www.destiny.org.uk> <http://borderline.mediahall.co.uk>

Lithurge

Sep 16, 2002, 2:16:38 PM9/16/02
"Pheasant Plucker®" <phea...@plucker.not> wrote in

> Generally it means just that...the disc is being packed and should be
> with you in 2-3 days...unless it is like my copy of A Knights Tale
> which was ordered 23/8 has been in stock consistently since its
> release and is still showing as packing on my status page...

snip
> Regards,
> -pp-

Snip

E-mail em, I've had a couple get 'stuck' on packing. I give em 4 days
tops then mail. They've always replied & always shipped the following
day. (Famous last words).

Nick

Phil Hughes

Sep 16, 2002, 5:52:32 PM9/16/02
"Christopher G Brannigan" <sp...@spam.com> wrote in message

> I've bought a few disks and generally can get disks from CD-Wow a lot
> quicker than bloody play....everything I've ordered from play has always
had
> something I wasn't happy about except Phoneix Nights....

I am amazed by the amount of people complaining about Play recently. I have
been buying from them since May last year, and would have done sooner had it
not been for so many negative posts about them on this news group. I have
not had a reason to complain about Play in all the time I've ordered from
them, and have bought around 120 discs from them so far.

I mainly pre-order from them, and every order has arrived on the day of
release, with the odd few arriving on the Tuesday. Only when they don't
have enough stock does it take any longer, and even then I haven't waited
more than an extra week.

The complaints about receiving "rattlers" has not been my experience either.
possibly 2 oe 3 have arrived in this condition. But this has nothing to do
with Play, rather they are being knocked out of their holder during
transport.

I have nothing but praise for this company, and after such a pleasant DVD
buying experience with them, I have expanded my orders to Games and CD's as
well - all of which have arrived within a reasonable amount of time.

Mike Gray

Sep 16, 2002, 6:59:04 PM9/16/02
> I am amazed by the amount of people complaining about Play recently.

It's because their service genuinely has gone downhill. I must have had
about 100 items from them, DVDs, CDs, Games... they used to be absolutely
excellent. Now their web site is effectively a pack of lies ("ships in 24
hours" being my particular favourite) - and the new 'packing' status seems
to take about a week. I mean, really, even if you have to train people,
putting it in a jiffy ain't that difficult.

They've slowed down, basically and become slightly less reliable. That's why
people are complaining. I haven't had (m)any rattlers from them, though.

Mike

RCE Defiant

Sep 16, 2002, 7:22:18 PM9/16/02
Spouting off at the keyboard John Edwards spewed:

> Christopher G Brannigan let their monkey loose on the keyboard. It
> typed:
>

>> I've bought a few disks and generally can get disks from CD-Wow a lot
>> quicker than bloody play....everything I've ordered from play has
>> always had something I wasn't happy about except Phoneix Nights....
>>

> Ahh. Phoenix nights. Got that from Play. Fantastic. Never saw the first
> series and only managed to catch bits of the second. Top comedy.

Phoenix nights is a big stinking pile of shite. I don't know what poeple see in
it. I saw the comedian who stars in it on Paramount the other week at a show he
did at Blackpool Tower. That was funny as.

Christopher G Brannigan

Sep 16, 2002, 8:07:03 PM9/16/02

> Spouting off at the keyboard John Edwards spewed:
> > Christopher G Brannigan let their monkey loose on the keyboard. It
> > typed:
> >

> >> I've bought a few disks and generally can get disks from CD-Wow a lot
> >> quicker than bloody play....everything I've ordered from play has
> >> always had something I wasn't happy about except Phoneix Nights....
> >>

> > Ahh. Phoenix nights. Got that from Play. Fantastic. Never saw the first
> > series and only managed to catch bits of the second. Top comedy.
>
> Phoenix nights is a big stinking pile of shite. I don't know what poeple
see in
> it. I saw the comedian who stars in it on Paramount the other week at a
show he
> did at Blackpool Tower. That was funny as.

Phil Kay I believe. Yeah saw that...it's out on dvd too. I didn't find his
stand up that funny but I thought Phoenix Nights was excelent. I'd seen it
when it was first on and didn't really like it but then my dads been really
into it this summer so I order it for him on dvd and watched it all
today....very funny...

McBain

Sep 17, 2002, 2:40:55 AM9/17/02
I am getting a bit fed up of their service and have also noticed a
significant decline in their service. I have ordered over 100 items (CDs,
DVDs, PCCD, etc) and most have arrived on time but things are now going
missing in the post and one item even arrived incomplete. I have had 4 DVDs
go missing and even more frustrating the PCCD game Mafia still hasn't
arrived and that was on preorder (6/9/02). They sent this by recorded
delivery and they won't send out a replacement for 14 days - this means that
i have to wait at least three weeks in total (already waited two weeks) for
my copy of Mafia. Luckily i have a copy of Medieval : Total War to pass the
time!!!

On the whole, play are really good and excellent value for money (although
ASDA's prices are still very good for DVDs) but their postage system really
does suck.

McBain

Still waiting for Mafia ....

"Mike Gray" <mike...@spammenotbtinternet.com> wrote in message

John Edwards

Sep 17, 2002, 4:05:41 AM9/17/02
McBain let their monkey loose on the keyboard. It typed:

I think it's a classic case of a large increase in customers. They were
fantastic, so word spread and loads of people have started to use them as
a supplier. Now they appear to be struggling to meet demand. This doesn't
mean they won't do so, as long as they are hiring new staff and expanding
then things should start to return to normal. I think they just need a
bit of time.

--
John
17 September 2002 09:02

I don't feel this is useful information as I've basically told
you nothing.

Mike Gray

Sep 17, 2002, 5:36:18 AM9/17/02
> go missing and even more frustrating the PCCD game Mafia still hasn't

Same here, and I am *not* pleased about that.

Mike

StainlessSteelRat

Sep 17, 2002, 5:46:04 AM9/17/02
Mike Gray wrote:
>> go missing and even more frustrating the PCCD game Mafia still hasn't
>
> Same here, and I am *not* pleased about that.

Not much help, but I just received 50% of the few DVD's and games I had on order (about 20 in
total), including Mafia.

--
StainlessSteelRat
"Don't worry, no-one will mourn one less lawyer in the world."

RCE Defiant

Sep 17, 2002, 5:57:22 AM9/17/02
Spouting off at the keyboard StainlessSteelRat spewed:

> Mike Gray wrote:
>>> go missing and even more frustrating the PCCD game Mafia still hasn't
>>
>> Same here, and I am *not* pleased about that.
>
> Not much help, but I just received 50% of the few DVD's and games I had on
> order (about 20 in total), including Mafia.

I thought one of mine had come until I realised it was pr0n from the U.S.
Suspisciously ripped at the side so you could see what it was. I bet my mum was
pleased. Saying that I don't even try to hide them. She once tidied my room
and made three piles of DVDs with porn at the top. My video wardrobe has
shelves in it and one is dedicated to the 'adult' stuff ;-) My GF loves trying
to embarass me by showing her friends when they are around. I don't do
embarrassed.

John Edwards

Sep 17, 2002, 6:04:06 AM9/17/02
RCE Defiant let their monkey loose on the keyboard. It typed:

> She once tidied my room and made three piles of DVDs with porn at the
> top.

"Piles of DVDs"??

You mean you just leave your DVDs lying around?!? Don't they get damaged? I
used to leave piles of CDs around until they started getting stood on.
Everything is safely in racks or on shelves now.

Last time I buy a DVD off you. I wondered why the case was all manky ;)

--
John

"Listen up son, and pay attention.
How ya' gonna learn anything if you
always got your head in a book?"

- Foghorn Leghorn

RCE Defiant

Sep 17, 2002, 6:10:17 AM9/17/02
Spouting off at the keyboard John Edwards spewed:

> RCE Defiant let their monkey loose on the keyboard. It typed:

>> She once tidied my room and made three piles of DVDs with porn at the
>> top.
>

> "Piles of DVDs"??
>
> You mean you just leave your DVDs lying around?!? Don't they get damaged? I
> used to leave piles of CDs around until they started getting stood on.
> Everything is safely in racks or on shelves now.
>
> Last time I buy a DVD off you. I wondered why the case was all manky ;)

Piles of DVD's in cases! The only thing that touches my shiny discs is a bit of
dust.

Pheasant Plucker®

Sep 17, 2002, 2:39:57 PM9/17/02
Already done that - four times;

23/8 - Ordered A Knights Tale - Superbit
31/8 - I sent email asking where the DVD is - web site is showing
Outstanding/Packing
1/9 - Received Auto-Reply message saying my enquiry is being dealt with and
you will reply within 24 hours
5/9 - Five days later I send second email asking 24 hours from when
exactly??
6/9 - Received yet another Auto-reply telling me my enquiry will be dealt
with in 24 hours
6/9 - I sent third email explaining that my original enquiry was sent 31/8 -
it is now 6/9 and no reply
11/9 - Fourth email. Still no response from Play. Still showing as
Outstanding/Packing
13/9 - Reply from Play saying disc has been posted.
17/9 - Still no disc - bloody web site _STILL_ showing as packing!

As I said I have ordered most of my 300 disc collection from them and have
found their service to be second to none.
Not sure what has gone wrong this time.

Don't think it will put me off and it shouldn't stop me from buying from
them again. Their good service far outweighs the bad in my case.

Regards,
-pp-

"Lithurge" <bogof...@bogoff.net> wrote in message

Paul Hilling

Sep 18, 2002, 9:31:51 PM9/18/02
>"Mike Gray" <mike...@spammenotbtinternet.com> wrote...

>I mean, really, even if you have to train people, putting it in a jiffy
>ain't that difficult.

True, but I've no idea how play organises their picking/packing operation.
Being all orders are 1 disc in a packet, shouldn't take that long. It's
usually a case of the routine involved.

For example we have some people who pick the DVD from it's location in the
warehouse, and take it to the packers. They then have to enter the dispatch
note #, scan the item(s), pack it up, and send it down for posting. Larger
orders take more time. But you can figure an average 1-2 minutes per order
to actually pack it. More if it's bulky/cumbersome.

>They've slowed down, basically and become slightly less reliable. That's
why
>people are complaining. I haven't had (m)any rattlers from them, though.

I haven't either. The last discs I had off of Play were allegedly posted on
the Saturday, and I didn't get them till the following Friday.

--
Paul Hilling :- [ROT-13 the reply address]

Save Farscape, see http://www.savefarscape.com

No computer components were harmed during the creation of this post,
however several billion electrons were abused to ensure its safe delivery.