Ferrari Wheel Review

Marc Goldman

Sep 13, 2000, 5:58:56 AM9/13/00

I just got the Thurstmaster Ferrari wheel and was considering doing a write
up, then the message below appeared on rec.games.video.Sega and pretty much
says everything that I wanted to say about it so I thought I'd post it hear.

I will add that initially I found it harder to play the MSR demo with it,
but I'm improving now (down to 1:03 from 1:07), it is a little awkward
hitting 'A' for the handbrake at first but I hear you'll be able to
customise this in the final version (I'd like to map it to the brake pedal
if all courses in the game are going to be as handbrake heavy, haven't used
the real brake yet!). It is definitely more fun with a wheel.

I got mine from gameplay.com for £35

Cheers
Marc

<no...@REMOVE.mint.net> wrote in message

I ordered the Thrustmaster Racing Wheel for Dreamcast direct from
their online shop. Cost is $50. Arrived in 4 days and I've been
testing it since this afternoon. Overall impression: Very good. No
significant flaws detected. It's very nice looking and build quality
seems good so far.

The wheel comes with a gas/brake pedal unit (placed on the floor, of
course), a clamp, and detachable suction cups. There are two sets of
"paddles" behind the wheel (2 on the left and 2 on the right). The top
set is digital and is meant to control shifting. The bottom set is
analog and can be used for accel/brake if you don't wish to use the
floor pedals. There are 2 digital pads on the wheel so you can use
either your left or your right thumb to easily navigate through menus.
In addition to the standard ABXY and start buttons, there is a mode
button on the face of the wheel to change between wheel and standard
controller modes (in case a game does not have proper wheel support
built-in.) There is one VMU slot located on the base of the unit which
can hold either a VMU or a jump pack. I was hoping the slot would be
on the wheel itself so that the jump pack could be better felt. I also
wished there were 2 slots so you wouldn't have to have another
controller plugged into the DC to save files in case you are using a
jump pack. Tension in the wheel is good and is not too heavy or too
light.

The two foot pedals are of equal size and tension. One problem with
the pedal unit is that it too easily slides around. If you are using
both feet for driving then you can pretty much keep it steady with the
weight of your heels. Using one foot to drive is a little trickier,
but not impossible. You will need to find some way to anchor it
properly for best results.

The wheel is officially licensed by Ferrari, whatever that means.
There is a Ferrari logo located right in the center of the wheel, so
this would go well with F355 Challenge. Overall, the thing looks very
slick and professional.

For $50 this is very good considering the apparent quality of this
product. I recommend it to anyone looking for a wheel.

Steve Ives

Sep 13, 2000, 6:40:49 AM9/13/00

"Marc Goldman" <marc.g...@nottingham.ac.uk> wrote in message

> I just got the Thurstmaster Ferrari wheel and was considering doing a
write
> up, then the message below appeared on rec.games.video.Sega and pretty
much
> says everything that I wanted to say about it so I thought I'd post it
hear.

<snip>

As anyone used a Joytech jolt pack with this whhel? I have both, and my
joytech memory card and jolt pack are both unrecognised in the wheel,
although they work fine in a standard controller. MY Sega VMU is recognised,
however.

There's a note in the Jolt pack package, saying it must be installed in the
second VMU slot - could this have anything to do with it?

Any advice gratefully received.

Steve

chris hodgkinson

Sep 13, 2000, 7:30:47 AM9/13/00
I just got the Thurstmaster Ferrari wheel and was considering doing a write
up, then the message below appeared on rec.games.video.Sega and pretty much
says everything that I wanted to say about it so I thought I'd post it hear.

I found msr quite easy with the steering wheel and found using the handbrake
easy as well. I managed to clock a 57.925 yesterday with it. As for f355
the wheel is very good and actually feels like your driving because when you
see your hands move, you can see the hands on the wheel move at the same
time. One note jap memory cards don`t work in the wheel.
chris

I will add that initially I found it harder to play the MSR demo with it,
but I'm improving now (down to 1:03 from 1:07), it is a little awkward
hitting 'A' for the handbrake at first but I hear you'll be able to
customise this in the final version (I'd like to map it to the brake pedal
if all courses in the game are going to be as handbrake heavy, haven't used
the real brake yet!). It is definitely more fun with a wheel.

I got mine from gameplay.com for £35

Cheers
Marc

Alistair Jones

Sep 13, 2000, 9:00:53 PM9/13/00
Is there any force feedback effects with this wheel?

Are your time with the wheel better or worse than with the standard
controller?

Marc Goldman

Sep 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/14/00

"Alistair Jones" <alis...@am1001.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Is there any force feedback effects with this wheel?

No. I don't believe the Dreamcast supports force feedback.

> Are your time with the wheel better or worse than with the standard
> controller?

Much better.

BK Toh

Sep 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/14/00

>"Alistair Jones" <alis...@am1001.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Is there any force feedback effects with this wheel?
>
>No. I don't believe the Dreamcast supports force feedback.

The sad thing is that they didn't even throw in the rumble pack
support which was available in the PS version
:(

Remove nospam when replying