wosch-booster icon

John Stumbles

Oct 17, 2006, 4:31:11 PM10/17/06
What does the bottom icon, below the spanner, look like to you?

http://i11.tinypic.com/4c7t7cp.jpg

Anyone else see a Gent with a Top Hat carrying a ladder?

It's on a Worcester Bosch 35CDi

According to the manuals it's the 'Central Heating Boost Button', but
unfortunately they don't say what it does.

Peter Parry

Oct 17, 2006, 4:43:21 PM10/17/06
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:31:11 GMT, John Stumbles
<john.s...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>According to the manuals it's the 'Central Heating Boost Button', but
>unfortunately they don't say what it does.

Don't be silly, it's clearly the chimney cleaner button. Pressing it
injects gas into the out pipe. This is followed by a microprocessor
controlled spark initiation sequence which initiates a hyper
conductive event and by DNA replication (as seen on CSI) instantly
cleanses the exhaust orifice of all waste matter (except where such
an event is prohibited by local ordinance and social acceptability).

As you undoubtedly live in a non-approved area the inbuilt position
sensing module has disabled the feature to ensure your continued well
being.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Bob Eager

Oct 17, 2006, 5:01:48 PM10/17/06

Blast air out to clean the flue???

Looks like a sweep and his ladder to me...

Matt

Oct 17, 2006, 5:01:57 PM10/17/06
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:31:11 GMT, John Stumbles
<john.s...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

It's actually officially referred to as the "chimney sweep button" in
the manuals on the Bosch Greenstar range. Not really a user control
as such but used in combination with others to enter the service mode.

Ed Sirett

Oct 17, 2006, 6:21:49 PM10/17/06

This is the euroglyphic for testmode. I'm surprised you've not seen it
before, do they have no Vaillant suppliers on your patch?

You'll find this on a number of models. I'm fairly sure that you
hold it in for a number of seconds and then the boiler goes flat out for
a period of time or until something is about to overheat.

Gas Fitting Standards Docs here: http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFittingStandards

Peter Parry

Oct 17, 2006, 6:54:40 PM10/17/06
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:21:49 +0100, Ed Sirett
<e...@makewrite.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>This is the euroglyphic for testmode.

Nice to see the EU following its long established tradition of
clarity and understandability when it comes to such things.

Test mode = anorexic man carrying ladder while wearing top hat -
obvious innit?

John Stumbles

Oct 17, 2006, 6:57:49 PM10/17/06
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:21:49 +0100, Ed Sirett wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:31:11 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:
>
>> What does the bottom icon, below the spanner, look like to you?
>>
>> http://i11.tinypic.com/4c7t7cp.jpg
>>
>> Anyone else see a Gent with a Top Hat carrying a ladder?
>>
>> It's on a Worcester Bosch 35CDi
>>
>> According to the manuals it's the 'Central Heating Boost Button', but
>> unfortunately they don't say what it does.
>
> This is the euroglyphic for testmode. I'm surprised you've not seen it
> before, do they have no Vaillant suppliers on your patch?
>
> You'll find this on a number of models. I'm fairly sure that you
> hold it in for a number of seconds and then the boiler goes flat out for
> a period of time or until something is about to overheat.

Sounds like you're talking about the spanner one - the other W-Bs I've put
in recently (i-junior & variants) all have this and as you say if you hold
it in for 10s or so it goes into full-bore mode. I'm not sure I'd put an
engineer-mode button on the front panel, least of all amongst user
controls, but I fear W-B have rather lost the plot (or their engineers
have lost out to pointy-haired managers & 'designers') when it comes to
user interface design.

F'rinstance:

1. take the 'Eco' button, which switches OFF the DHW pre-heat. It'd be
more logical (IMHO) to have a button to switch this ON, but 'eco'
obviously has more cachet (to a certain mindset) so you now have a switch
which you switch ON to turn OFF a function. If they really wanted to be
'eco' (and were prepared to spend a minute amount of money on it rather
than just choose a trendy label) they could have made the pre-heat
controllable by a timer.

2. Worse, they even have this (now redundant) control on the non-combi
version (12i or 24i System).

3. all the LEDs are so pastel-hued you can't actually
see them unless it's pretty dim in the room.

John Stumbles

Oct 17, 2006, 6:57:49 PM10/17/06
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:01:57 +0100, Matt wrote:

> It's actually officially referred to as the "chimney sweep button" in
> the manuals on the Bosch Greenstar range.

Which manuals are you looking at? The User and Inst&Service ones for this
actual boiler say it's 'Central Heating Boost Button'

John Stumbles

Oct 17, 2006, 6:57:50 PM10/17/06

That'll be it then!
I'll dig out my asbestos underpants for the commissioning :-)

Bob Eager

Oct 17, 2006, 7:19:31 PM10/17/06
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:21:49 UTC, Ed Sirett <e...@makewrite.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> > It's on a Worcester Bosch 35CDi

> You'll find this on a number of models. I'm fairly sure that you

> hold it in for a number of seconds and then the boiler goes flat out for
> a period of time or until something is about to overheat.

Hold in for 10 seconds, flat out for 15 minutes..

raden

Oct 17, 2006, 7:19:29 PM10/17/06
In message <3knaj2db9bsh4aubf...@4ax.com>, Peter Parry
<pe...@wpp.ltd.uk> writes

>On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:21:49 +0100, Ed Sirett
><e...@makewrite.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>This is the euroglyphic for testmode.
>
>Nice to see the EU following its long established tradition of
>clarity and understandability when it comes to such things.

Shirly, it should be a box with "Testmode" written in unintelligibly
small type in 10 different languages within its borders

--
geoff

djc

Oct 17, 2006, 8:47:41 PM10/17/06
John Stumbles wrote:

> 1. take the 'Eco' button, which switches OFF the DHW pre-heat. It'd be
> more logical (IMHO) to have a button to switch this ON, but 'eco'
> obviously has more cachet (to a certain mindset) so you now have a switch
> which you switch ON to turn OFF a function.

Indeed, not to mention the waste of energy (however small, it's the
principle) for that little green lamp

If they really wanted to be
> 'eco' (and were prepared to spend a minute amount of money on it rather
> than just choose a trendy label) they could have made the pre-heat
> controllable by a timer.

Tis on my 24jnr. the Hot Water part of the dual channel timer controls
eco mode. Not that I've found the pre-heat any use. At best you get,
cold from the dead leg of pipework, then a slug of hot that was sitting
in the boiler, then another shot of cold while it starts up. Unless used
very recently, in which case the pre heat isn't needed

> 3. all the LEDs are so pastel-hued you can't actually
> see them unless it's pretty dim in the room.

? I find the blue (very 'in' these days it would seem) on-light (reminds
me of the flame window of an old Ascot) a pretty effective night light.

--
djc

Andy Hall

Oct 18, 2006, 1:31:11 AM10/18/06
On 2006-10-17 23:21:49 +0100, Ed Sirett <e...@makewrite.demon.co.uk> said:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:31:11 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:
>
>> What does the bottom icon, below the spanner, look like to you?
>>
>> http://i11.tinypic.com/4c7t7cp.jpg
>>
>> Anyone else see a Gent with a Top Hat carrying a ladder?
>>
>> It's on a Worcester Bosch 35CDi
>>
>> According to the manuals it's the 'Central Heating Boost Button', but
>> unfortunately they don't say what it does.
>
> This is the euroglyphic for testmode. I'm surprised you've not seen it
> before, do they have no Vaillant suppliers on your patch?
>
> You'll find this on a number of models. I'm fairly sure that you
> hold it in for a number of seconds and then the boiler goes flat out for
> a period of time or until something is about to overheat.

Yes, mine (MAN Micromat) has this as well.

It's used when adjusting the settings on the gas valve during
commissioning - it can be pressed and then the fan speed wound up to
the top and down to the bottom while CO2 levels are measured.

Matt

Oct 18, 2006, 4:17:06 AM10/18/06

Sorry, John, my post was only in reference to the Bosch Greenstars
that I am more familiar with, I assumed that the button would be
generic across the entire range. I just had a quick look again and on
the W-B models with the Bosch Heatronic controller such as the
Greenstars the button doesn't provide any boost.

Guy King

Oct 18, 2006, 4:21:35 AM10/18/06
The message <3knaj2db9bsh4aubf...@4ax.com>
from Peter Parry <pe...@wpp.ltd.uk> contains these words:

> Test mode = anorexic man carrying ladder while wearing top hat -

Me, I'd have had the spanner as testmode.

--
Skipweasel

manat...@hotmail.com

Oct 18, 2006, 8:08:14 AM10/18/06

To be used by femaoles only. It gives the heating a boost to raise the
temperature so you can lie naked on the bed and wait for Robin
Askwith[1] to come along.

MBQ

[1] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071357/

Guy King

Oct 18, 2006, 10:15:28 AM10/18/06
The message <1161173294.2...@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
from "manat...@hotmail.com" <manat...@hotmail.com> contains these words:

> To be used by femaoles only. It gives the heating a boost to raise the
> temperature so you can lie naked on the bed and wait for Robin
> Askwith[1] to come along.

Just pray it doesn't turn out to be George Formby.

John Stumbles

Oct 18, 2006, 6:37:19 PM10/18/06
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 00:47:41 +0000, djc wrote:

> ? I find the blue (very 'in' these days it would seem) on-light (reminds
> me of the flame window of an old Ascot) a pretty effective night light.

P'raps there's a market for add-on blue neon lights illuminating the
underside of the boiler? :-)

John Stumbles

Oct 18, 2006, 6:47:10 PM10/18/06
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:17:06 +0100, Matt wrote:

> Sorry, John, my post was only in reference to the Bosch Greenstars
> that I am more familiar with, I assumed that the button would be
> generic across the entire range. I just had a quick look again and on
> the W-B models with the Bosch Heatronic controller such as the
> Greenstars the button doesn't provide any boost.

Not sure I'm with you there. This _is_ a Greenstar (i.e. current
condensing model).

Andy Hall

Oct 18, 2006, 6:53:42 PM10/18/06

You mean you're not giving fluffy dice with every installation like BG
do ? ;-)