Fridge freezer fault

DaveA

Jan 13, 2003, 7:34:12 AM1/13/03
Our fridge/freezer is 2 years old,its the type with the fridge on top
and a 4 drawer freezer underneath. Problem is that recently i noticed
that the food in the bottom drawer is defrosting even though the food
in the other shelves remains frozen. Even defrosting the freezer hasnt
helped. I find this very strange as the fridge works fine and the
coolent piipe in the freezer is a continuose run from top to bottom,
so why is the top of the pipe freezing and the bottom of the pipe not
very cold. Does this mean i need a new freezer or could i replace a
component or have it repaired if so about how much would it cost?.
Thanks in advance Dave

Will Dean

Jan 13, 2003, 7:46:17 AM1/13/03
"DaveA" <davero...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Is the fridge-freezer in a cold place? (Like a garage)

Will

DaveA

Jan 13, 2003, 7:52:50 AM1/13/03

No its in a kitchen,its also got an ambient temp switch that it says
should be on if the temp drops below 18 degrees,ive tried this and its
still the same

Eric Pickup

Jan 13, 2003, 2:11:06 PM1/13/03
A loss of refrigerant or a poor compressor can both lead to the last shelf
on the line not getting as cold as the others.
The only way to check would be to check the suction line pressure. Not a job
for the amateur sorry to say. Check the joints around the compressor for
oily deposits which would indicate a refrigerant leak.
If the fridge use R12 gas ( it should say on the comp or inside the fridge
on a label) then it is not usually a viable repair.
Hope this helps.
Eric.

OldScrawn

Jan 15, 2003, 6:38:25 PM1/15/03
Sounds exactly like the current symptoms of my 14 month old indesit FF. First
the temp warning light came on, though both seemed to be cooling. I pushed the
superfreeze button and the operation light came on OK, but on checking a couple
of hours later the freezer was getting hot inside the cabinet, maybe 40 C.
Phone currys. You have to phone this number. Phone it, oh all we can do is sell
you an insurance policy for £99 which will cover the repair plus another year.
So I think OK, cough up now, get it fixed and argue Sale of Goods act later.
Give them credit card number & all the details. They give you another phone
number. Phone up, arrange for repair man to come on Tuesday. One Tuesday, a
washing machine repair man arrives. Helpfully, he phones the fridge man.
Apparently it's probably the memory card. MEMORY CARD???? Plug it in again and
it will probably work, he says, but you ought to get a new card. Arrange for
the fridge man to come next week with new card. It seems that these frost free
things have some sort of timer / memory to manage auto defrosting, but it can
go wrong and fail to switch back to cooling mode. Anyway we have plugged it in
again and it does seem to be working (but I'm not risking the freezer yet). Oh
for the good old days when you could diagnose and usually mend things, not just
replace black boxes.....