Materials for patch repair to tarmac driveway.

Anode

Oct 28, 2011, 5:45:47 AM10/28/11
A tradesman's van has gouged out a small area from my tarmac drive. The
damaged area is about 100mm x 50 mm, and about 6mm deep.

There is a wide variety of products that claim to make cold repairs to
damaged tarmac. Can anyone recommend any particular product suitable for
this (minor) level of damage?

I am more interested in a repair that inhibits further
disintegration/weather damage taking place around the existing damage, than
I am in the cosmetic standard of the repair. It may be helpful to just pour
on some suitable sealer, but I don't know what.

(I live near to a tarmac making plant: could I usefully try to get a small
amount of anything from them that would help with this specific repair?)

Anode.

NT

Oct 28, 2011, 6:32:20 AM10/28/11
On Oct 28, 10:45 am, "Anode" <an...@munge.com> wrote:
>  A tradesman's van has gouged out a small area from my tarmac drive. The
> damaged area is about 100mm x 50 mm, and about 6mm deep.
>
> There is a wide variety of products that claim to make cold repairs to
> damaged tarmac. Can anyone recommend any particular product suitable for
> this (minor)  level of damage?

any cold lay tarmac is good.

> I am more interested in a repair that inhibits further
> disintegration/weather damage taking place around the existing damage, than
> I am in the cosmetic standard of the repair. It may be helpful to just pour
> on some suitable sealer, but I don't know what.

bitumen, but its soft, so be sure to include some stone - you then
have tarmac, albeit without the fine powder in the bitumen.

> (I live near to a tarmac making plant: could I usefully try to get a small
> amount of anything from them that would help with this specific  repair?)
>
> Anode.

yes, a bit of tarmac, add a tiny amount of paraffin, let it work its
way in, then you have cold lay tarmac.

NT

Paul - xxx

Oct 28, 2011, 6:36:38 AM10/28/11
Put some money in a local charity and I'll send you enough for a patch
that size! reply email is legit ..

This is what I use on our playgrounds and car-park/driveway at school.

http://www.twistfix.co.uk/products/masonry-floor-treatments/tarmac-pothole-repair-product.html

For small areas, as you describe, I use a wooden mallet to tamp it
down, the more you flatten it the better for water dispersion. It
works brilliantly and can be merged or formed around grids quite easily
using the mallet, if necessary.

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"

NT

Oct 28, 2011, 6:49:07 AM10/28/11
On Oct 28, 11:36 am, "Paul - xxx" <notcheckede...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Anode wrote:
> > A tradesman's van has gouged out a small area from my tarmac drive.
> > The damaged area is about 100mm x 50 mm, and about 6mm deep.
>
> > There is a wide variety of products that claim to make cold repairs
> > to damaged tarmac. Can anyone recommend any particular product
> > suitable for this (minor)  level of damage?
>
> > I am more interested in a repair that inhibits further
> > disintegration/weather damage taking place around the existing
> > damage, than I am in the cosmetic standard of the repair. It may be
> > helpful to just pour on some suitable sealer, but I don't know what.
>
> > (I live near to a tarmac making plant: could I usefully try to get a
> > small amount of anything from them that would help with this specific
> > repair?)
>
> Put some money in a local charity and I'll send you enough for a patch
> that size!  reply email is legit ..
>
> This is what I use on our playgrounds and car-park/driveway at school.
>
> http://www.twistfix.co.uk/products/masonry-floor-treatments/tarmac-po...
>
> For small areas, as you describe, I use a wooden mallet to tamp it
> down, the more you flatten it the better for water dispersion.  It
> works brilliantly and can be merged or formed around grids quite easily
> using the mallet, if necessary.

Last time I looked, cold lay tarmac was about £6 in wickes

NT

Paul - xxx

Oct 28, 2011, 7:21:05 AM10/28/11
> Last time I looked, cold lay tarmac was about Ł6 in wickes

We don't have an account with Wickes and we don't pay retail prices
anyway .. and ICBA to pay for stuff out of my own pocket and claim it
back!

Bill

Oct 28, 2011, 8:01:04 AM10/28/11
In message
<026c9d47-4bd7-44ac...@h5g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>, NT
<meow...@care2.com> writes
>Last time I looked, cold lay tarmac was about Ł6 in wickes

After getting advice here, we invested in a bag of this stuff for about
a pound more than that at the local woodyard. I saw the cheaper Wickes
price the next day.
My son put some over some tree root damage. He didn't trust the
instructions and heated it up with a blowlamp after he had laid it. I
think the blowlamp was unnecessary.

I 'borrowed' some of the bag and filled in a deep hole (dug through the
drive by some animal) and another shallow area. I laid it cold, but had
put it in the front footwell of the car beforehand with the heater
running flat out to improve the "give".

We used my lump hammer at both sites, and I think it has worked
brilliantly, but we haven't yet seen its performance under frost..
--
Bill

Anode

Oct 28, 2011, 1:19:42 PM10/28/11

"NT" <meow...@care2.com> wrote in message
On Oct 28, 10:45 am, "Anode" <an...@munge.com> wrote:
> A tradesman's van has gouged out a small area from my tarmac drive. The
> damaged area is about 100mm x 50 mm, and about 6mm deep.
>
> There is a wide variety of products that claim to make cold repairs to
> damaged tarmac. Can anyone recommend any particular product suitable for
> this (minor) level of damage?

any cold lay tarmac is good.

NT

Thank you for letting me know that when I do this repair I would be all
right using cold lay tarmac - I appreciate your help, and the further
information you added.

Anode.

Another John

Oct 28, 2011, 1:25:32 PM10/28/11
In article <j8dtk7$p0t$1...@speranza.aioe.org>, "Anode" <an...@munge.com>
wrote:

> A tradesman's van has gouged out a small area from my tarmac drive. The
> damaged area is about 100mm x 50 mm, and about 6mm deep....

So ... 4" by 2" by 0.25"? I need to know more about tarmac drives:
why isn't this so tiny as to be completely insignificant? (This is a
genuine question!)

Or are we all assuming that Anode got his mms and his cms mixed up?

Cheers
John

Phil L

Oct 28, 2011, 2:16:06 PM10/28/11
Following on from the cold lay advice you've received so far....

the gravel size of the cold lay stuff is 6mm, so you won't get any in
without mashing the stones.

If it were mine, I would deepen the hole to 25mm minimum and square off the
sides too, then fill proud and flatten with a piece of wood and lump hammer,
then just the hammer

Anode

Oct 28, 2011, 3:11:28 PM10/28/11

"Paul - xxx" <notchec...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anode wrote:
>
>> A tradesman's van has gouged out a small area from my tarmac drive.
>> The damaged area is about 100mm x 50 mm, and about 6mm deep.
>>
>> There is a wide variety of products that claim to make cold repairs
>> to damaged tarmac. Can anyone recommend any particular product
>> suitable for this (minor) level of damage?
>>
>> I am more interested in a repair that inhibits further
>> disintegration/weather damage taking place around the existing
>> damage, than I am in the cosmetic standard of the repair. It may be
>> helpful to just pour on some suitable sealer, but I don't know what.
>>
>> (I live near to a tarmac making plant: could I usefully try to get a
>> small amount of anything from them that would help with this specific
>> repair?)
>
> Put some money in a local charity and I'll send you enough for a patch
> that size! reply email is legit ..
>
> This is what I use on our playgrounds and car-park/driveway at school.

Thank you for your kind and helpful reply, Paul. Have emailed you with
further information.

Anode.

Anode

Oct 28, 2011, 3:15:16 PM10/28/11

"Phil L" <neverc...@hoitmail.com> wrote in message
That sounds very sound and sensible advice, Phil. If I use cold lay
material. I shall certainly follow the way you suggest.

Thank you

Anode

Roberts

Oct 28, 2011, 3:37:32 PM10/28/11
I bought some in a plastic sack from Wickes to widen a church drive. Just
laid it out and flattened it with a heavy garden roller. Some six years
later it is still OK despite heavy use.
Robbie
"Anode" <an...@munge.com> wrote in message

dennis@home

Oct 28, 2011, 4:01:40 PM10/28/11

"Anode" <an...@munge.com> wrote in message

When I needed to repair the tarmac around a carport post I put in, I put the
removed tarmac in a low oven for an hour and then hammered it back in the
hole. It works if the tarmac is newish, it may work for older stuff but I
haven't tried it. You could try it on the stuff you dig out, it may save you
having to buy some stuff.

Anode

Oct 29, 2011, 6:00:34 AM10/29/11

"Bill" <Billa...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>Last time I looked, cold lay tarmac was about �6 in wickes
>
> After getting advice here, we invested in a bag of this stuff for about a
> pound more than that at the local woodyard. I saw the cheaper Wickes price
> the next day.
> My son put some over some tree root damage. He didn't trust the
> instructions and heated it up with a blowlamp after he had laid it. I
> think the blowlamp was unnecessary.
>
> I 'borrowed' some of the bag and filled in a deep hole (dug through the
> drive by some animal) and another shallow area. I laid it cold, but had
> put it in the front footwell of the car beforehand with the heater running
> flat out to improve the "give".
>
> We used my lump hammer at both sites, and I think it has worked
> brilliantly, but we haven't yet seen its performance under frost..
> --
> Bill

Thanks for sharing that information, Bill.

Anode

Anode

Oct 29, 2011, 6:05:12 AM10/29/11

"Roberts" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I bought some in a plastic sack from Wickes to widen a church drive. Just
>laid it out and flattened it with a heavy garden roller. Some six years
>later it is still OK despite heavy use.
> Robbie

That is very encouraging, Robbie. Thank you for the information.

Anode.

Anode

Oct 29, 2011, 6:07:44 AM10/29/11

"dennis@home" <den...@killspam.kickass.net> wrote in message
Interesting idea - thanks for the suggestion.

Anode.