Moderation please

Skip to the first unread message

dicegeorge

29 Nov 2007, 15:26:4329/11/2007
is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
not censorship
but the deleting of off topic messages
and adverts and spam...
i know it means a bit of work for someone
and some delays in getting emails
but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
so delays are ok,
there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!

what do others think?

[george]

robgraham

29 Nov 2007, 15:44:4229/11/2007

Agreed
Rob

The Medway Handyman

29 Nov 2007, 15:47:2229/11/2007

I don't think its possible on this sort of group. I run a few Yahoo Groups
where it is possible and spam can be controlled. Personally I reckon a DIY
Yahoo Group would be a good idea.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Hugh Jampton

29 Nov 2007, 15:59:4729/11/2007
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 20:47:22 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

> I don't think its possible on this sort of group. I run a few Yahoo Groups
> where it is possible and spam can be controlled. Personally I reckon a DIY
> Yahoo Group would be a good idea.

Yuk :-( You jest I hope !
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Hugh Jampton

29 Nov 2007, 15:57:5729/11/2007

Not possible - this newsgroup is unmoderated. Why not try killfiling
people/subjects you don't wish to see ? Having said that, I don't know if
that's possible using Google - if it isn't, why not try using a proper
newsreader ?
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

jon_...@ntlworld.com

29 Nov 2007, 16:07:2929/11/2007
On 29 Nov, 20:26, dicegeorge <dicegeo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah,but...this is a bit of a community, not just a forum for
discussing DIY. Sometimes it's nice to have OT discussions too. I
certainly enjoy finding out what other people on here think about non-
DIY subjects too.

...and the delete button is very easy to use!
Jon.

Clive George

29 Nov 2007, 16:08:4729/11/2007
"dicegeorge" <diceg...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I think you don't understand what sort of list you're posting to. This is
usenet, not a web forum. One of the reasons it succeeds is because there's
no moderation.

It's easy enough to ignore messages, even through google groups. Just don't
read stuff which isn't of interest.

chluve

The Natural Philosopher

29 Nov 2007, 16:14:5529/11/2007
dicegeorge wrote:
> is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,

No.

> not censorship
> but the deleting of off topic messages
> and adverts and spam...
> i know it means a bit of work for someone
> and some delays in getting emails
> but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
> so delays are ok,
> there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
> if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
> this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!
>
> what do others think?

It cannot be done effectively on Usenet.

> [george]

The Natural Philosopher

29 Nov 2007, 16:16:1629/11/2007
Sponsors me and I'll set up a BBS system.

I'll even let drivel on it.

Everyone needs a good larf now and again..

John Rumm

29 Nov 2007, 16:39:5729/11/2007
The Medway Handyman wrote:

> I don't think its possible on this sort of group. I run a few Yahoo Groups
> where it is possible and spam can be controlled. Personally I reckon a DIY
> Yahoo Group would be a good idea.

Personally I loath web based fora... much rather have proper newsreader
access.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Burns

29 Nov 2007, 16:44:5229/11/2007
On 29/11/2007 20:26, dicegeorge wrote:

> is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,

> what do others think?

I think you don't realise how usenet works (much as we'd all like less
spam/religion/whatever).

Andy Burns

29 Nov 2007, 16:46:3229/11/2007

> Personally I reckon a DIY
> Yahoo Group would be a good idea.

-1

Lobster

29 Nov 2007, 16:51:2229/11/2007

Agreed - I have just a few filters set up looking for keywords in the
subject field: one clobbers mohammed/muhammed/islam/allah/muslim;
another one does $$$/xxx/penis/fuck/porn; one for nike, and last but not
least, MI5 persecution.

That reduces the amount of junk coming through enormously.

David

John Rumm

29 Nov 2007, 17:03:0529/11/2007
dicegeorge wrote:

> is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,

No, not at all really (not through lack of will, but more down to
technical limitations).

> not censorship
> but the deleting of off topic messages
> and adverts and spam...

Yes you can do this, but you are starting from the wrong place since you
are using google to access usenet. Its great for searching old articles,
but not so good for actively following a live group.

Try a proper newsreader and news server[1], you will find much of the
spam is deleted before you ever see it. Any that is left can be removed
from view with a single keystroke. You also get full control over how
messages are displayed and threaded. It makes it much simpler to follow
conversations, focus on what interests you and ignore what does not.

> i know it means a bit of work for someone
> and some delays in getting emails
> but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
> so delays are ok,

I disagree - part of the attraction of the group for me is that you get
very fast feedback and can have multiway exchanges in the space of minutes.

> there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,

If you have it all correctly threaded, and could simply hit "k" any time
you saw a thread that did not interest you, you find it far more palatable.

To be fair, a tolerance of a certain amount of off topic ness makes the
group more rewarding IME. You can come here and ask all sorts of
questions and know you will get a common sense answer, even if not
strictly DIY related. I often learn most when threads drift off topic
into new areas.

> if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
> this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!
>
> what do others think?

This comes up from time to time... the answer always seems to come down
to what we have is not perfect, but it is preferable to the alternatives.

[1] Your internet access seems to come through entanet. They appear to
have a server that responds to a ping on news.enta.net It might be worth
pointing Thunderbird at that and seeing if it is a live news feed.

dicegeorge

29 Nov 2007, 17:37:0829/11/2007
i get digests coming in 215 a time into my inbox,
then i can click them and get posts by topics in google groups in my
browser..

didnt know theres a usenet way in,
ive never used usenet,
theres a news thingy in outlook express but ive never used it...

how?

[g]

Andy Champ

29 Nov 2007, 17:40:5929/11/2007
The Medway Handyman wrote:

> I don't think its possible on this sort of group. I run a few Yahoo Groups
> where it is possible and spam can be controlled. Personally I reckon a DIY
> Yahoo Group would be a good idea.

It isn't possible. And this group is far better than some of the ones I
watch. At least *most* of the posts are relevant.

Andy

geoff

29 Nov 2007, 17:55:1929/11/2007
In message
<9c9189e4-e36a-4b39...@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
dicegeorge <diceg...@gmail.com> writes

>is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,

The short answer (and the long one) is No

Its an unmoderated group

nobody has the authority to decide what should be posted here, the only
redress you have is to complain to the ISP of commercial posters

If you want to try and get the nikewanker's account pulled, go and do it
yourself (see title of the newsgroup)

--
geoff

Ed Sirett

29 Nov 2007, 17:50:3529/11/2007

This is an /unmoderated/ USENET Newsgroup.
There is no charter let alone a moderator.

Yes, we have had a bit more spam of late. Because USENET is a somewhat
archaic protocol we have to a large extent been left alone from the
bleeding edge of bulk posts. Complaining to the offenders ISP is frankly
"deck chairs on the titanic". So you just need a good enough news-reader
to skip over the spam and the ding dong threads. And of course the
resident troll. (Every online community has its pillock).

Sla#s

29 Nov 2007, 18:11:5129/11/2007

How to....
Find the name of your ISPs news server. (You can also get separate paid for
ones but most real ISPs have them.) This should be on it's set up page.
Then go >Tools>Accounts>News and enter your details. It is recommended that
you "mung" your email address by putting an easily noticed spoiler in it.
(See mine.)
Outlook Exp will then ask if you want to get the available news groups - as
the Usenet is so large this can take a while...
Now chose the groups you want to join - Set the synchronization settings (I
recommend you download 'headers only')
After that it should be self evident.

You will find the Usenet is FAR better than forums!

Slatts

John Rumm

29 Nov 2007, 18:27:5229/11/2007
dicegeorge wrote:

> i get digests coming in 215 a time into my inbox,
> then i can click them and get posts by topics in google groups in my
> browser..

Yup, ok if you have no alternative, but far from ideal.

> didnt know theres a usenet way in,
> ive never used usenet,

Usenet predates the web (in fact predates the Internet!) by several years.

> theres a news thingy in outlook express but ive never used it...
>
> how?

OE, will work ok, although there are better free alternatives.
Thunderbird (www.mozilla.com) should feel fairly similar but is a little
more capable.

To set it up you just need to know the name of your ISPs news server -
in you case you could try the one I mentioned before. Go to the
Accounts... option on the tools menu, and click Add account. Fill in the
bits asked for. Once you have that set you can have it get the list of
groups (beware there are over 100 of thousand on usenet now) and
subscribe to the ones you want.

If it turns out your ISP does not have a server there are some on the
net you can access for a token fee like news.individual.net

(email me if you want more guidance on setup)

geoff

29 Nov 2007, 18:33:2929/11/2007
In message <finh4e$2rpr$1...@energise.enta.net>, Sla#s
<ph...@KNOTslatts.net> writes

>dicegeorge wrote:
>> i get digests coming in 215 a time into my inbox,
>> then i can click them and get posts by topics in google groups in my
>> browser..
>>
>> didnt know theres a usenet way in,
>> ive never used usenet,
>> theres a news thingy in outlook express but ive never used it...
>>
>> how?
>
>How to....
>Find the name of your ISPs news server. (You can also get separate paid
>for ones but most real ISPs have them.) This should be on it's set up
>page.

or

http://www.motzarella.org/

or the german server

>Then go >Tools>Accounts>News and enter your details. It is recommended
>that you "mung" your email address by putting an easily noticed spoiler
>in it. (See mine.)

Or go to Mozilla and download thunderbird

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

--
geoff

Frank Erskine

29 Nov 2007, 18:45:4329/11/2007

'meds' is another one to KF...

In fact almost anything with '$' is worth killfiling.

--
Frank Erskine

Dorothy Bradbury

29 Nov 2007, 19:06:0329/11/2007
"dicegeorge" <diceg...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
> and some delays in getting emails

Sounds like you are reading NNTP via Email.

Email based mailing-lists & web-forums can implement
moderation, but on USENET it is not a practical solution.

Even on mailing-lists & web-forums, true moderation is
undesireable because it introduces significant latency which
destroys conversational interaction & limits contribution.

Web-forums instead tend to implement filtering based on
user reports, outsourcing the task to whoever sees it first.
Click "report to moderator" gets offending posts deleted.
As such it requires little moderator effort or latency.

Change how you view uk.d-i-y by using an NNTP client
(Newsreader) or view it via one of the web forums (HTTP).
NTTP clients can filter spam by subject keywords or size,
web forums can implement similar filtering (automatically).

They always said NNTP was dead in the mid 1990s, but
it seems to survive quite well - depends on subject area.

uk.d-i-y can be frightening at times re questions.
However its real asset is the ability to use www.deja.com
(Google :-) to search through the past and be able to see
questions, answers. It allows notices to assess their own
skills because they don't know what they don't know and
that can be the most dangerous. Learning never stops.

Might stop some trying £20 chainsaws as "safe-n-cheap".
Answers may be wrong, but that is a risk with Usenet in
providing answers from demolish (saniflow) to unvented.

So if you can get HTTP access consider using Google.
That way you can not only read groups, but search. A
purely NTTP experience via email/webforum is limited.
--
DB.

Dave Plowman (News)

29 Nov 2007, 19:23:0629/11/2007
In article
<9c9189e4-e36a-4b39...@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

> what do others think?

This is your first post and it's off topic...

--
*Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

TheOldFellow

30 Nov 2007, 03:45:4530/11/2007
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:26:43 -0800 (PST)
dicegeorge <diceg...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think you should learn how to filter your usenet groups. It's easier
if you use a proper newsreader.

Or perhaps we should rename the group UK-DIY-Mohammed.

R.

TheOldFellow

30 Nov 2007, 03:47:2530/11/2007

Unless you use a proper Usenet Reader.

R.

TheOldFellow

30 Nov 2007, 03:53:2830/11/2007

DON'T USE OUTLOOK EXPRESS! It's from Microsoft, and every penny they
earn goes to help destroy the universe :-) It also attracts criminals.

Use a proper Usenet Reader like Forte, or if you want it integrated
into your email: Mozilla Thunderbird or Seamonkey.

R.

TheOldFellow

30 Nov 2007, 03:58:1830/11/2007
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:06:03 GMT
"Dorothy Bradbury" <dorothy...@dorothybradbury.co.uk> wrote:

> "dicegeorge" <diceg...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
> > and some delays in getting emails
>
> Sounds like you are reading NNTP via Email.
>
> Email based mailing-lists & web-forums can implement
> moderation, but on USENET it is not a practical solution.

Not quite true. It depends on the way your usenet reader (aka
nntp-client) works. Some just provide an on-line access to the nntp
server's store - with these there needs to be filter on what it will
display. Others download the news to your machine, and then you can
process the incoming stream to remove stuff permanently.

So it is quite practical, but you need to choose your solution with
care, and since the bandwidth sellers want you to use bandwidth, they
mostly push the on-line access.

R.

Happy Hunter

30 Nov 2007, 04:17:0530/11/2007

"dicegeorge" <diceg...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
> not censorship
> but the deleting of off topic messages
> and adverts and spam...
> i know it means a bit of work for someone
> and some delays in getting emails
> but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
> so delays are ok,
> there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
> if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
> this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!
>
> what do others think?
>
> [george]

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/moderated-ng-faq/

The Natural Philosopher

30 Nov 2007, 04:22:0730/11/2007
It still cannot be done. Moeratin that is.

Kill files are not moderation.

> R.

John Stumbles

30 Nov 2007, 06:01:4830/11/2007
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:26:43 -0800, dicegeorge wrote:

> what do others think?

This is the uk DIY newsgroup: you're expected to moderate it yourself :-)

--
John Stumbles

My karma ran over my dogma

Sla#s

30 Nov 2007, 11:14:3830/11/2007
TheOldFellow wrote:
<SNIP>>

> DON'T USE OUTLOOK EXPRESS! It's from Microsoft, and every penny they
> earn goes to help destroy the universe :-) It also attracts
> criminals.

I've been using OE since I gave up using CS Nav and I've never had a problem
with it.
On advice from newsgroups I tried Thunderbird and Forte but just could not
get on with them and ended up going back to OE. There's nothing wrong with
it... in moderation :-)

Slatts

Alan

30 Nov 2007, 12:59:5830/11/2007
In message <20071130084...@gmail.com>, TheOldFellow
<theold...@gmail.com> wrote

>Or perhaps we should rename the group UK-DIY-Mohammed.

Surely uk.d-i-y-Teddy

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

TheOldFellow

30 Nov 2007, 13:21:1830/11/2007
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:59:58 +0000
Alan <junk_...@amac.f2s.com> wrote:

> In message <20071130084...@gmail.com>, TheOldFellow
> <theold...@gmail.com> wrote
>

> >Or perhaps we should rename the group UK-DIY-Mohammed.
>
> Surely uk.d-i-y-Teddy

You can't be serious. Think of all the chaps called Edward who would
be terrible upset.

Lobster

30 Nov 2007, 14:00:3430/11/2007
John Rumm wrote:

> OE will work ok, although there are better free alternatives.

> Thunderbird (www.mozilla.com) should feel fairly similar but is a little
> more capable.

Well I swapped to Thunderbird from OE (both used as newsreaders only)
about a couple of years ago. Apart from the warm fuzzy glow I get from
using a non-MS product, I can't really claim to see much difference!

David

geoff

30 Nov 2007, 14:50:4630/11/2007
In message <xuGdnUzSvN2ISNLa...@pipex.net>, Happy Hunter
<not...@scotland.nothing> writes
Well,

1/ I certainly don't want this NG moderated, and

2/ who is going to do it ?

--
geoff

Roger

30 Nov 2007, 15:11:4730/11/2007
The message <yw9phvD9...@ntlworld.com>
from geoff <ra...@kateda.org> contains these words:

> 1/ I certainly don't want this NG moderated, and

Neither would I.

> 2/ who is going to do it ?

I am sure Dribble would be very keen. ;-)

--
Roger Chapman

A.Lee

30 Nov 2007, 15:27:1530/11/2007
geoff <ra...@kateda.org> wrote:
> In message <xuGdnUzSvN2ISNLa...@pipex.net>, Happy Hunter
> <not...@scotland.nothing> writes
> >"dicegeorge" <diceg...@gmail.com> wrote in message...

> >> is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
> >> what do others think?

> >http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/moderated-ng-faq/

> 1/ I certainly don't want this NG moderated, and
>
> 2/ who is going to do it ?

AIUI, this group cannot be made 'moderated'. The FAQ link above relates
to non-uk groups, as this is a uk. hierarchy, it is ruled by the UK
Usenet Committee, who would'nt pass such a proposal.

If someone proposes a .moderated group, then it would be debated, then a
vote taken. It would fail without doubt.

A similar thing has happened in the last few years with uk.legal. There
were so many troll postings that it was getting very hard to read
anything decent in there, so a uk.legal.moderated group was proposed and
passed, and both groups are alive and well, the unmoderated group still
full of trolls and 'slagging off' posts, and the .moderated group full
of readable posts.

This group (d-i-y) has very few trolls, and even fewer adverts, so there
is no real need for any moderation.
Alan

John Rumm

30 Nov 2007, 16:16:4830/11/2007
Lobster wrote:

To be fair, there are not overwhelming reasons to prefer it - just a
bunch of smaller things. It threads properly and does not get confused
if someone changes a thread title, it does sig blocks correctly and can
quote better (although there is a third party IE fix for this). The
filtering seems more flexible. It does not use IE to render HTML and all
the baggage that brings. It has offline newsgroup access if required.
The storage of messages etc is in a fairly simple and open text format
that is readily shifted in and out of other apps rather than bespoke MS
format files.

Andy Champ

30 Nov 2007, 16:26:5830/11/2007

Dunno why. The name comes from *Theodore* Roosevelt...

Andy

The Medway Handyman

30 Nov 2007, 16:54:3230/11/2007

I used it & swapped back to OE. Bloody useless.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Steve

30 Nov 2007, 17:46:0030/11/2007
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:54:32 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

> Lobster wrote:
>> [11 quoted lines suppressed]

> I used it & swapped back to OE. Bloody useless.

Thunderbird is useless as a newsreader, its great as a email client but the
NG part needs a lot of work.

I would recommend 40tude dialog, its the newsreader that got me off OE onto
something thats more useable than the alternatives, and has quite advanced
filtering. Used in combination with thunderbird makes for a great
combination.

Steve

Richard Perkin

30 Nov 2007, 18:53:0230/11/2007
Steve <sp...@puppet-headDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote in

Xnews anybody?
<http://xnews.newsguy.com/>

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the <AT> in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

Dorothy Bradbury

30 Nov 2007, 20:26:3230/11/2007
I am aware filtering is possible via a NNTP client.

My comment was w.r.t. creating a Moderated Newsgroup as
defined via the usual RFD CFV process. Since uk.d-i-y is a
national hierarchy I have not checked whether it has rules
for newsgroup change - I last read the RFCs in 1995.

A moderated newsgroup operates by a local NNTP client
emailing posts to the group moderator or by a user directly
emailing a post to a group moderator. Group moderator
may be a 'bot/human and will only post the message to
the moderated newsgroup if it is allowed - "anti-spam".
Human moderator processing introduces high latency,
disrupting a topic area which is mainly conversational.

Even if it were possible to change uk.d-i-y to a moderated
group it is not a practical solution for a DIY topic area.

Someone could try to created a moderated uk.d-i-y.disc
however I suspect it would fail to get the requisite votes.
Moderated newsgroups are for qualified research areas,
where the latency suits "spare minutes on Janet" and a
poster can tolerate interactivity worse than a call centre.
--
DB.

John Rumm

30 Nov 2007, 20:30:2130/11/2007
Richard Perkin wrote:

> Steve <sp...@puppet-headDOT.coDOT.uk> wrote in

>>> I used it & swapped back to OE. Bloody useless.
>> Thunderbird is useless as a newsreader, its great as a email
>> client but the NG part needs a lot of work.
>>
>> I would recommend 40tude dialog, its the newsreader that got me
>> off OE onto something thats more useable than the alternatives,
>> and has quite advanced filtering. Used in combination with
>> thunderbird makes for a great combination.
>
> Xnews anybody?
> <http://xnews.newsguy.com/>

or forte or tin or...

I thought a new article may be of assistance here since these questions
seem to crop up from time to time:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Newsgroup_access_tips

Could anyone who can spare a moment, slap their favoured newsreader in
at the end, and include quick setup details, and *more importantly* some
basic tips in to help people get the best out of it?

geoff

30 Nov 2007, 20:51:5430/11/2007
In message <cL24j.62$zw...@newsfe3-win.ntli.net>, Dorothy Bradbury
<dorothy...@dorothybradbury.co.uk> writes

perhaps it could be called uk.someonediditforme

--
geoff

TheOldFellow

1 Dec 2007, 02:39:4001/12/2007

Indeed, but chaps called Edward tend to be called Ted around here at
least. Personally, I'm a Dick. ;-)

At least Mohammed is on-topic. He made up his own religion and then
sold it to people (at sword point mostly) - you don't get more DIY than
that.

R.

The Natural Philosopher

1 Dec 2007, 02:46:0801/12/2007
He didn't make it up. Its a straight adaption of Judaism. Just Like
Christianity. Judaism with Part 'P' ;-)

At least Jesus was a carpenter...

Dave Plowman (News)

1 Dec 2007, 03:55:5401/12/2007
In article <cL24j.62$zw...@newsfe3-win.ntli.net>,

Dorothy Bradbury <dorothy...@dorothybradbury.co.uk> wrote:
> A moderated newsgroup operates by a local NNTP client
> emailing posts to the group moderator or by a user directly
> emailing a post to a group moderator. Group moderator
> may be a 'bot/human and will only post the message to
> the moderated newsgroup if it is allowed - "anti-spam".
> Human moderator processing introduces high latency,
> disrupting a topic area which is mainly conversational.

Have you *any* idea of the work involved for a group of this size?
Effective moderation with unlimited access means reading every single post
from unknown or first time poster - and soon after it's received to be of
any use. You'd probably have to allocate an hour a day 24/7.

--
*I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Skipweasel

1 Dec 2007, 04:19:1401/12/2007
In article <tWDOIEsH...@ntlworld.com>, ra...@kateda.org says...

> perhaps it could be called uk.someonediditforme

uk.galmi (get a little man in).
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.

Dorothy Bradbury

1 Dec 2007, 08:22:1901/12/2007
"Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message

> Have you *any* idea of the work involved for a group of this size?

Yes - it depends...

> In article <cL24j.62$zw...@newsfe3-win.ntli.net>,
> Dorothy Bradbury <dorothy...@dorothybradbury.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Group moderator may be a 'bot

...on whether your intention is just to use a 'bot to filter spam.

If your intention is human moderation...

"Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message

> You'd probably have to allocate an hour a day 24/7.

... it would exceed that from experience moderating a mailing list,
although moderators can be numerous & distributed "groupware style".

Moderating USENET is not practical.
o It works well for .announce groups relating to say service providers
o It works poorly for conversational discussion. I would not vote for it.

Moderation involves risk.
o Moderating on spam via a 'bot is one thing
o Moderating further risks censorship and loses common-carrier status
o Moderating risks interest by various organisation vs responsibility of
poster
o Getting rid of a moderator due to high processing latency can be hard

Moderating is not practical. It is simpler to filter at the newsreader
level.
--
DB.

Stuart Noble

1 Dec 2007, 08:24:4001/12/2007

And we know the sort of person that is attracted to moderating

Lobster

1 Dec 2007, 09:44:1101/12/2007
Lobster wrote:
> Hugh Jampton wrote:

>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:26:43 -0800 (PST), dicegeorge wrote:
>>
>>> is it possible to have this list moderated a bit please,
>>> not censorship
>>> but the deleting of off topic messages
>>> and adverts and spam...
>>> i know it means a bit of work for someone
>>> and some delays in getting emails
>>> but its not like we're emailing cos of a house on fire,
>>> so delays are ok,
>>> there seems to be more and more off topic spam on here,
>>> if i want to debate religion i will find a group to debate it
>>> this is the tool room not the church or the brothel or the shop!
>>
>> Not possible - this newsgroup is unmoderated. Why not try killfiling
>> people/subjects you don't wish to see ? Having said that, I don't know if
>> that's possible using Google - if it isn't, why not try using a proper
>> newsreader ?
>
> Agreed - I have just a few filters set up looking for keywords in the
> subject field: one clobbers mohammed/muhammed/islam/allah/muslim;
> another one does $$$/xxx/penis/fuck/porn; one for nike, and last but not
> least, MI5 persecution.

...and have just added a new one to detect ">>>" or "<<<"!

David

John Stumbles

1 Dec 2007, 09:53:2101/12/2007
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 01:26:32 +0000, Dorothy Bradbury wrote:

> Someone could try to created a moderated uk.d-i-y.disc
> however I suspect it would fail to get the requisite votes.

There is also the problem that the moderation mechanism doesn't work: just
take a look at comp.lang.perl.moderated - it is full of the same sort of
vandalism that afflicts comp.os.linux.misc (amd I daresay other groups).
Indeed I understand there is a hackers' ng in the alt. heirarchy
(alt.2600?) that is moderated but has no moderators: you have to know
enough to hack your way past the moderation mechanism in order to
contribute to the group!

--
John Stumbles

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again

Dave Plowman (News)

1 Dec 2007, 09:56:5401/12/2007
In article <fed4j.1006$jy3...@newsfe7-win.ntli.net>,

Dorothy Bradbury <dorothy...@dorothybradbury.co.uk> wrote:
> > You'd probably have to allocate an hour a day 24/7.

> ... it would exceed that from experience moderating a mailing list,
> although moderators can be numerous & distributed "groupware style".

It was a guess from me being a co-moderator on a group which receives
about 5 requests to join/leave per day and has some 2000 members. What we
do is moderate the first post from a newbie then let them get on with it.
At the first sign of anyone breaking the rules they go back on moderation.
If they continue to break the rules - which are very basic anyway - apart
from their posts not being forwarded to the group they get removed. Dunno
how many chances they get - it's never happened to me while I've been
moderating. It's a Yahoo group and very little in the way of actual spam
gets even to the starting post.

--
*There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and shit head's*

John Stumbles

1 Dec 2007, 09:58:0101/12/2007
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 07:46:08 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> At least Jesus was a carpenter...

There's a story I like about a shrink[1] in a loon^H^H^Hmental hospital.
One of his patients claimed to be Jesus, so the shrink says "I understand
you're a carpenter?". The patient has to admit that he is, so the shrink
puts him to work to make some shelves for his office.

[1] Milton Ericsson, for those to whom the name means anything.

John Stumbles

1 Dec 2007, 09:59:2901/12/2007
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:11:47 +0000, Roger wrote:

> I am sure Dribble would be very keen. ;-)

You must be joking. He'd be very keen to tell whoever was doing the work
how it should be done, no doubt ... :-)

--
John Stumbles

Procrastinate now!

David Hansen

1 Dec 2007, 10:13:4501/12/2007
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:50:46 GMT someone who may be geoff
<ra...@kateda.org> wrote this:-

>1/ I certainly don't want this NG moderated, and
>
>2/ who is going to do it ?

As has been pointed out by others, this is a DIY group and people
moderate it for themselves as they see fit, rather than getting
someone else to do it for them.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Dave Plowman (News)

1 Dec 2007, 10:03:0301/12/2007
In article <sgd4j.1009$jy3...@newsfe7-win.ntli.net>,

Stuart Noble <stuart_no...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> And we know the sort of person that is attracted to moderating

Heh heh. Most only enforce the rules of the particular group. The one I'm
involved with - a car one - got set up because the founder was fed up of
flame wars and excessive bad language on a similar one he read - and of
course purely commercial posts. But it does have several members who are
in the trade and a great source of useful information - and because of
that I'm sure get benefit from it too in terms of business.

I'd be perfectly happy if this group was moderated in a similar light
touch way - but it simply isn't going to happen.

--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses*

Roger

1 Dec 2007, 11:23:5401/12/2007
The message <lFe4j.118$ov2...@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>
from John Stumbles <john.s...@ntlworld.com> contains these words:

> > I am sure Dribble would be very keen. ;-)

> You must be joking. He'd be very keen to tell whoever was doing the work
> how it should be done, no doubt ... :-)

He would also be very keen to block all the posts that highlight him as
an ignorant moron with a monumental ego.

--
Roger Chapman

Lobster

1 Dec 2007, 12:23:2901/12/2007
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <sgd4j.1009$jy3...@newsfe7-win.ntli.net>,
> Stuart Noble <stuart_no...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> And we know the sort of person that is attracted to moderating
>
> Heh heh. Most only enforce the rules of the particular group. The one I'm
> involved with - a car one - got set up because the founder was fed up of
> flame wars and excessive bad language on a similar one he read

> I'd be perfectly happy if this group was moderated in a similar light

> touch way - but it simply isn't going to happen.

So presumably the moderator of this car group doesn't permit the
interminable ding-dong threads between the likes of Drivel and certain
other members of this group.....????

David

Dave Plowman (News)

1 Dec 2007, 13:43:3601/12/2007
In article <lMg4j.626$wD...@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net>,

Absolutely not.

You can disagree all you want but just just repeating you're wrong or
whatever without explaining why you think that certainly wouldn't be
tolerated.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*

geoff

1 Dec 2007, 15:09:3101/12/2007
In message <4f4a4a8...@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)"
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> writes

>In article <cL24j.62$zw...@newsfe3-win.ntli.net>,
> Dorothy Bradbury <dorothy...@dorothybradbury.co.uk> wrote:
>> A moderated newsgroup operates by a local NNTP client
>> emailing posts to the group moderator or by a user directly
>> emailing a post to a group moderator. Group moderator
>> may be a 'bot/human and will only post the message to
>> the moderated newsgroup if it is allowed - "anti-spam".
>> Human moderator processing introduces high latency,
>> disrupting a topic area which is mainly conversational.
>
>Have you *any* idea of the work involved for a group of this size?

The OP doesn't seem to have much of an idea about anything concerning
newsgroups, so, probably not.

--
geoff

geoff

1 Dec 2007, 15:19:2601/12/2007
In message <119649516...@proxy01.news.clara.net>, The Natural
Philosopher <a@b.c> writes

>> At least Mohammed is on-topic. He made up his own religion and then
>> sold it to people (at sword point mostly) - you don't get more DIY than
>> that.
>> R.
>He didn't make it up. Its a straight adaption of Judaism. Just Like
>Christianity. Judaism with Part 'P' ;-)

Well, it's a pick and mix of several religions, xtianity included

>At least Jesus was a carpenter...

Well, a tradesman, I think is the currently accepted translation

the Nazareth Handyman

--
geoff

Ed Sirett

1 Dec 2007, 15:36:4501/12/2007

Quite so; the skills to do it properly are inversely proportional to the
desire to do it.

John Rumm

1 Dec 2007, 18:09:3601/12/2007
Skipweasel wrote:
> In article <tWDOIEsH...@ntlworld.com>, ra...@kateda.org says...
>> perhaps it could be called uk.someonediditforme
>>
> uk.galmi (get a little man in).

A little discriminatory against us BFBs...

Martin Pentreath

1 Dec 2007, 18:38:3001/12/2007
On 30 Nov, 23:53, Richard Perkin <f000nur...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it
> is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
> It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
> -- Oxford University Press, Edpress News

Unreadable rubbish!

If the author of this is trying to teach people about grammar and
punctuation then they should first teach themselves about inverted
commas.

The Medway Handyman

1 Dec 2007, 19:56:5601/12/2007
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <cL24j.62$zw...@newsfe3-win.ntli.net>,
> Dorothy Bradbury <dorothy...@dorothybradbury.co.uk> wrote:
>> A moderated newsgroup operates by a local NNTP client
>> emailing posts to the group moderator or by a user directly
>> emailing a post to a group moderator. Group moderator
>> may be a 'bot/human and will only post the message to
>> the moderated newsgroup if it is allowed - "anti-spam".
>> Human moderator processing introduces high latency,
>> disrupting a topic area which is mainly conversational.
>
> Have you *any* idea of the work involved for a group of this size?
> Effective moderation with unlimited access means reading every single
> post from unknown or first time poster - and soon after it's received
> to be of any use. You'd probably have to allocate an hour a day 24/7.

Not true IME. I run the worlds largest Yahoo group for mentalists (the
branch of magic devoted to simulated mind reading - Derren Brown stuff in a
nutshell). It has 350+ members worldwide.

Access isnt unlimited to be fair, but prospective members have to satisfy me
of a genuine interest in the subject before they can join. It works out OK,
takes very little time. I currently only have one member whose posts are
'moderated' because he became abusive to another member.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

The Medway Handyman

1 Dec 2007, 20:00:2001/12/2007

Oi!

John Stumbles

2 Dec 2007, 00:20:5202/12/2007
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:19:26 +0000, geoff wrote:

> Well, a tradesman, I think is the currently accepted translation

TradesPERSON, purleease! :-)

--
John Stumbles

Bob the builder / it'll cost 'yer
Bob the builder / loadsa dosh

Andy Hall

2 Dec 2007, 03:04:5002/12/2007
On 2007-12-02 01:00:20 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
<davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> said:

> geoff wrote:
>> In message <119649516...@proxy01.news.clara.net>, The Natural
>> Philosopher <a@b.c> writes
>>> He didn't make it up. Its a straight adaption of Judaism. Just Like
>>> Christianity. Judaism with Part 'P' ;-)
>>
>> Well, it's a pick and mix of several religions, xtianity included
>>

>>> At least Jesus was a carpenter...
>>
>> Well, a tradesman, I think is the currently accepted translation
>>
>> the Nazareth Handyman
>
> Oi!

Don't feel bad about it - it was said "Can anything good come from Nazareth?"

That hasn't changed in millennia - it's still just as bad - doesn't
even have an esplanade......

Dave Plowman (News)

2 Dec 2007, 04:54:3202/12/2007
In article <spn4j.1431$kt3...@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,

The Medway Handyman <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > Have you *any* idea of the work involved for a group of this size?
> > Effective moderation with unlimited access means reading every single
> > post from unknown or first time poster - and soon after it's received
> > to be of any use. You'd probably have to allocate an hour a day 24/7.

> Not true IME. I run the worlds largest Yahoo group for mentalists (the
> branch of magic devoted to simulated mind reading - Derren Brown stuff
> in a nutshell). It has 350+ members worldwide.

The one I co-moderate has over 2000 members world wide.

> Access isnt unlimited to be fair, but prospective members have to
> satisfy me of a genuine interest in the subject before they can join.
> It works out OK, takes very little time. I currently only have one
> member whose posts are 'moderated' because he became abusive to another
> member.

The mechanics of an email group are very different to Usenet. For a start
it is only accessed via the one route - Yahoo in your case. Newsgroups are
available from loads of servers.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

kent

2 Dec 2007, 06:57:2002/12/2007
If no-one replies to off-topic postings, then they disappear from the
front page in a matter of hours.

Steve Firth

2 Dec 2007, 07:12:0902/12/2007
kent <kenk...@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> If no-one replies to off-topic postings, then they disappear from the
> front page in a matter of hours.

And if you bothered to learn how to use Usenet groups you would realise
what a load of bollocks your statement is.

Andy Hall

2 Dec 2007, 07:19:1302/12/2007
On 2007-12-02 11:57:20 +0000, kent <kenk...@btopenworld.com> said:

> If no-one replies to off-topic postings, then they disappear from the
> front page in a matter of hours.

Front page of what?

Si

2 Dec 2007, 07:20:4902/12/2007
In message
<fd07f824-86b8-42cd...@w56g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
kent <kenk...@btopenworld.com> writes

>If no-one replies to off-topic postings, then they disappear from the
>front page in a matter of hours.

What front page? That of Google Groups? That's an idiosyncratic way of
accessing usenet.

--
Si

kent

2 Dec 2007, 07:48:5402/12/2007
On Dec 2, 12:20 pm, Si <SimonW@ag&r$vo.f$3o&m> wrote:
> In message
> <fd07f824-86b8-42cd-9a05-9415dba3d...@w56g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
> kent <kenkn...@btopenworld.com> writes

> >If no-one replies to off-topic postings, then they disappear from the
> >front page in a matter of hours.
>
> What front page? That of Google Groups? That's an idiosyncratic way of
> accessing usenet.
>
> --
> Si

Please tell me more about this.

Si

2 Dec 2007, 08:22:0802/12/2007
In message
<346fc18f-2f4f-4bbc...@w56g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
kent <kenk...@btopenworld.com> writes
>Please tell me more about this.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet>

Google Groups offers a limited view on usenet via a web-browser. OTOH,
dedicated usenet software <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_client> can
offer a more flexible interface.

--
Si

Stuart Noble

2 Dec 2007, 08:33:2702/12/2007

So when do I start?

John Rumm

2 Dec 2007, 09:36:0802/12/2007
kent wrote:
> If no-one replies to off-topic postings, then they disappear from the
> front page in a matter of hours.

Only if you choose to order whole threads based on the order in which
posts contained in them are received. Not always a very logical ordering.

John Rumm

2 Dec 2007, 09:37:0602/12/2007

We started writing a bit on this the other day... needs work, but some
of the basics are there:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Newsgroup_access_tips

geoff

2 Dec 2007, 10:23:3902/12/2007
>If no-one replies to off-topic postings, then they disappear from the
>front page in a matter of hours.

Only for the clueless google groupies

If you are not using the right tool for the job, it's a bit silly making
generalised statements which don't apply to normal people

for those of us using a newsreader, you normally set the expiry (usually
a couple of days)

--
geoff

geoff

2 Dec 2007, 10:23:4102/12/2007

ISTR it was discussed well enough earlier in the thread

oh, it disappeared from yours in a couple of hours ?

google for it in the google group archives then...

--
geoff

geoff

2 Dec 2007, 10:35:3102/12/2007
In message <47526722@qaanaaq>, Andy Hall <an...@hall.nospam> writes
yeah, but better magicians ...

walking on water, raising the dead, water into wine,

they could pull a proper rabbit out of a hat in those days in front of
an audience of 5000

--
geoff

geoff

2 Dec 2007, 10:35:3102/12/2007
In message <Ugr4j.3150$Dh6....@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>, John Stumbles
<john.s...@ntlworld.com> writes

>On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:19:26 +0000, geoff wrote:
>
>> Well, a tradesman, I think is the currently accepted translation
>
>TradesPERSON, purleease! :-)

I don't subscribe to this new PC culture

anyway "man" in that case covers both genders, it always has (as in
German), it's only the PC crowd who don't actually understand the
correct use of English who fall for this wank

--
geoff

dicegeorge

2 Dec 2007, 11:05:4502/12/2007

aha - i didnt know about the newsnet method,
am trying to get my ISP to let me use usenet news,
i stumbled into this group through a google search,
and have only used yahoo groups before,
i now see that this is a different animal,
clicking links in emails like
* Moderation please - 4 messages, 3 authors
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_thread/thread/afb15345d59ef257?hl=en-GB
is a bit annoying...

and yes , the moderation i was suggesting was as in yahoo groups
where new members are put on moderation
then removed from moderation
when theyve proved themselves to be on-topic-ish
and yes it does take up someones time

thanks

[george]

The Medway Handyman

2 Dec 2007, 12:00:5302/12/2007
geoff wrote:
> In message <47526722@qaanaaq>, Andy Hall <an...@hall.nospam> writes
>> On 2007-12-02 01:00:20 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
>> <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> said:

>>> Oi!
>>
>> Don't feel bad about it - it was said "Can anything good come from
>> Nazareth?" That hasn't changed in millennia - it's still just as bad -
>> doesn't
>> even have an esplanade......
>>
> yeah, but better magicians ...

Oi! Again!

> walking on water, raising the dead, water into wine,

I can turn wine into water very effectively.............

> they could pull a proper rabbit out of a hat in those days in front of
> an audience of 5000

Nah. Wasn't that the loaves & fishes trick? (I reckon they were up his
sleeve).

The Medway Handyman

2 Dec 2007, 12:03:5002/12/2007

I have the odd wind up with some people over the term 'manageress'. Its not
really a proper word, manager comes from 'mana' meaning 'guiding hand' or
similar, its not a gender specific word.

Mike Clarke

2 Dec 2007, 12:31:0202/12/2007
In article <WzB4j.52460$JA1....@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk> The Medway
Handyman wrote:

> I have the odd wind up with some people over the term 'manageress'.  Its
> not really a proper word, manager comes from 'mana' meaning 'guiding hand'
> or similar, its not a gender specific word.

But in due cource the PC brigade will want to replace "manager"
with "personer" despite this.

--
Mike Clarke

geoff

2 Dec 2007, 12:43:0302/12/2007
In message <13l5qun...@corp.supernews.com>, Mike Clarke
<UCEb...@milibyte.co.uk> writes
But that would indicate that one is elevated above the other

... can't have that, can you ?

--
geoff

Andy Hall

2 Dec 2007, 13:12:2502/12/2007

It'll be OK. Think in terms of man-ager, then women are covered too.....

TheOldFellow

2 Dec 2007, 13:25:3802/12/2007
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 08:04:50 +0000
Andy Hall <an...@hall.nospam> wrote:

> Don't feel bad about it - it was said "Can anything good come from Nazareth?"

Especially now that the Israelis have surrounded it with a bloody great
wall.

R. +

John Stumbles

2 Dec 2007, 14:54:3102/12/2007
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 09:54:32 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

>> Not true IME. I run the worlds largest Yahoo group for mentalists (the
>> branch of magic devoted to simulated mind reading - Derren Brown stuff
>> in a nutshell). It has 350+ members worldwide.
>
> The one I co-moderate has over 2000 members world wide.

Reading's Freecycle group claims over 7K members and it's probbaly not the
largest. They're run as Yahoo groups, and moderated.

So yah boo to you guys ;-)

--
John Stumbles

I'm less competitive than you

Andy Champ

2 Dec 2007, 16:23:5502/12/2007
It's not the members, but the traffic. 338 messages in the last week (=
48 per day) is a rather lower level than we get here. We've had 45 in
the last 3 hours!

Andy

jkn

2 Dec 2007, 19:05:3002/12/2007
> There's a story I like about a shrink[1] in a loon^H^H^Hmental hospital.
> One of his patients claimed to be Jesus, so the shrink says "I understand
> you're a carpenter?". The patient has to admit that he is, so the shrink
> puts him to work to make some shelves for his office.
>
> [1] Milton Ericsson, for those to whom the name means anything.

The spelling is Milton Erickson in this case, & FWIW he'd have hated
to be described as a 'shrink' - rather the founder of modern clinical
hypnosis.
</pedant>

A variant on this approach is that the 'shrink' comes in with wood,
nails and tools, and starts sawing and hammering away. "What are you
making?", says the patient. "Oh, it's a cross..." says the other ...

J^n

geoff

2 Dec 2007, 19:35:1302/12/2007
In message
<75ac0b28-3f34-4a70...@e4g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, jkn
<jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> writes
Jesus walks into a hotel, slaps some nails down on the counter and asks
..

"can you put me up for the night ?"

--
geoff

Andy Hall

3 Dec 2007, 00:50:4803/12/2007

Not any more. He went to B&Q first

http://tinyurl.com/3d5zb4

John Stumbles

3 Dec 2007, 04:15:0003/12/2007
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 16:05:30 -0800, jkn wrote:

>> [1] Milton Ericsson, for those to whom the name means anything.
>
> The spelling is Milton Erickson in this case

Oops, my bad

> A variant on this approach is that the 'shrink' comes in with wood,
> nails and tools, and starts sawing and hammering away. "What are you
> making?", says the patient. "Oh, it's a cross..." says the other ...

Bandler, I think?

--
John Stumbles

geoff

3 Dec 2007, 14:27:5703/12/2007
In message <47539938@qaanaaq>, Andy Hall <an...@hall.nospam> writes

No, you're mixing it up with him hanging around for easter

I've had that on my office wall for about 5 years now ...

--
geoff

Andy Hall

3 Dec 2007, 14:38:4703/12/2007
On 2007-12-03 19:27:57 +0000, geoff <ra...@kateda.org> said:

>>> Jesus walks into a hotel, slaps some nails down on the counter and asks ..
>>> "can you put me up for the night ?"
>>
>> Not any more. He went to B&Q first
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3d5zb4
>>

> No, you're mixing it up with him hanging around for easter
>
> I've had that on my office wall for about 5 years now ...

Have you been reported to the religious police yet?

It's loading more messages.