OT - For the smokers!

BRG

Mar 8, 2008, 6:19:17 PM3/8/08
Passive smoking - more infomation for those addicted to the weed - it's
interesting to see that that they are now advising smokers with children to
partake of their fix outside rather than in the home - an excerpt and the
link are below.
He said: "Passive smoking at home, exposing children to smoke they cannot
escape from, increases the risk of them getting ear disease, sticky runny
noses and sore throats, and further down the track, some of these ENT
symptoms can in due course led on to worse diseases such as asthma."

He added: "We need to keep banging the drum. We need to publicise the fact
that every cigarette you smoke is a cigarette that your child is smoking
also."

That was taken from this link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7284793.stm and posted to
re-ignite (argh!) the subject after that rather long thread in Mosquito
Repellent - things are getting a little dull at the moment!

Enjoy!

BRG

Rod

Mar 8, 2008, 6:33:19 PM3/8/08

Regardless of anything else, I'd like to see any evidence that "some of
these ENT symptoms can in due course le[a]d on to worse diseases such as
asthma". (That is, asthma specifically being caused by the ENT
symptoms.) Sounds like argument by assertion...

--
Rod

onset.
<www.thyromind.info> <www.thyroiduk.org> <www.altsupportthyroid.org>

Frank Erskine

Mar 8, 2008, 7:01:38 PM3/8/08
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 23:19:17 -0000, "BRG" <br...@invalllid.com> had
this to say:

>Passive smoking - more infomation for those addicted to the weed - it's
>interesting to see that that they are now advising smokers with children to
>partake of their fix outside rather than in the home - an excerpt and the
>link are below.
>He said: "Passive smoking at home, exposing children to smoke they cannot
>escape from, increases the risk of them getting ear disease, sticky runny
>noses and sore throats, and further down the track, some of these ENT
>symptoms can in due course led on to worse diseases such as asthma."
>
>He added: "We need to keep banging the drum. We need to publicise the fact
>that every cigarette you smoke is a cigarette that your child is smoking
>also."

I feel sorry (genuinely) for those youngsters in push-chairs (or
buggies, to use an horrible expression), whose parents smoke and cough
fumes/sputum or whatever all over them even in the open air.

<OT>
And feed them pies/pasties/chips/sausage rolls at virtually every
'meal' as they (the parents) waddle through shopping centres.
</OT>

And then totally expect the NHS (at _our_ expense) to sort out the
numerous illnesses that their kids develop.

--
Frank Erskine

Dave Plowman (News)

Mar 8, 2008, 7:23:01 PM3/8/08
In article <63gl7kF...@mid.individual.net>,

BRG <br...@invalllid.com> wrote:
> He added: "We need to keep banging the drum. We need to publicise the
> fact that every cigarette you smoke is a cigarette that your child is
> smoking also."

Nothing like a bit of wild exaggeration to make a point, I suppose.

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The Medway Handyman

Mar 8, 2008, 7:36:38 PM3/8/08
BRG wrote:
> Passive smoking - more infomation for those addicted to the weed -
> it's interesting to see that that they are now advising smokers with
> children to partake of their fix outside rather than in the home - an
> excerpt and the link are below.
> He said: "Passive smoking at home, exposing children to smoke they
> cannot escape from, increases the risk of them getting ear disease,
> sticky runny noses and sore throats, and further down the track, some
> of these ENT symptoms can in due course led on to worse diseases such
> as asthma."

Here we go again. Groupthink. More unsubstantiated claims to support the
RASF's cause. No evidence to support the spurious claims of course.

Perhaps you could explain why asthma has increased substantially in the last
decade whilst smoking has decreased substantially? No of course you can't.
Inconvenient fact I know, but being a RASF you will no doubt choose to
ignore it.

> He added: "We need to keep banging the drum. We need to publicise the
> fact that every cigarette you smoke is a cigarette that your child is
> smoking also."

Also typical of the RASF's. If you can't find any credible evidence to
support your claim, try emotional blackmail. "Smoking might harm little
babies & fluffy bunnies". Rather like the Babies on Bayonets propaganda in
WW2 designed to convince a gullible public that our enemies were also the
anti Christ.

Just goes to show how fanatical RASF's can be. Far worse than Al-Qaeda in
their opinions IMO.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

The Medway Handyman

Mar 8, 2008, 8:03:37 PM3/8/08

Just for the record, smokers contribute around £12 billion a year in tax,
and according to NHS oficial figures "smoking related diseases" cost them
£1:5 billion a year to treat. If you present as a smoker of course, almost
everything is attributed to smoking. Even so, we contribute 8 times what we
cost the NHS.

I have no idea what pie eating (or even passive pie eating) costs the NHS.

Message has been deleted

nafuk

Mar 9, 2008, 3:33:13 AM3/9/08
On 9 Mar, 00:36, "The Medway Handyman"

17,000 under-5s are hospitalised each year as a result of respiratory
conditions caused by their parents smoking
Royal College of Physicians, Smoking and the Young, 1994.

Also, a full economic costing of smoking shows the cost is greater
than the tax revenue.

Rod

Mar 9, 2008, 3:45:45 AM3/9/08
The Medway Handyman wrote:
<snip>

> I have no idea what pie eating (or even passive pie eating) costs the NHS.

But you don't have to eat them - just breath in the fumes as you go by.

(Sounds like a cue for the anti-Morrisons brigade.)

Rod

Mar 9, 2008, 3:48:38 AM3/9/08
Anne Jackson wrote:
<snip>
> I blame the amount of really _stinking_ cleaning stuff that's currently
> marketed.

Chav perfume?

cerberus

Mar 9, 2008, 4:26:21 AM3/9/08
> On 9 Mar, 00:36, "The Medway Handyman"
> <davidl...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> BRG wrote:
Snipped>

> 17,000 under-5s are hospitalised each year as a result of respiratory
> conditions caused by their parents smoking
> Royal College of Physicians, Smoking and the Young, 1994.
>
> Also, a full economic costing of smoking shows the cost is greater
> than the tax revenue.

Any statistics showing respiratory conditions caused by traffic fumes &
industrial pollution (including the use of pesticides) by any chance???

Don.

dennis@home

Mar 9, 2008, 5:14:36 AM3/9/08

"cerberus" <cerb...@thegatesofhell.com> wrote in message

Of course there is.. however traffic fumes and industry are getting less
each year.. clean air act, cats, etc.
Now its smokers turn to contribute and about time too.

Dirty drug habit that it is.. get hooked by a high.. suffer from withdrawal
symptoms.. claim its still giving them a high and that they enjoy it..
typical addict.. can't admit the truth.. its the lows they suffer from and
they don't get highs after a few weeks/months.

Anyway smokers soon get upset if you whip a bottle of evostick out and open
it in the pub.. its my choice to glue sniff if I want, I can't help it that
it pollutes their air at least *I* get a high even if I have to share it
with them. I can't help it if they then suffer withdrawal from not having
the Evostick when they go home either.. they can start sniffing too if its a
problem. There are no studies that show secondary glue sniffing is dangerous
so what do they have to complain about? Next they will be saying it ruins
the taste of their pint.. I don't care as long as I get my fix. Look on the
bright side their kids will be able to get a good sniff off their clothes
when they get home too so they will be acclimatized by the time they are old
enough to go into a pub.

dennis@home

Mar 9, 2008, 5:17:27 AM3/9/08

"The Medway Handyman" <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> Just for the record, smokers contribute around £12 billion a year in tax,
> and according to NHS oficial figures "smoking related diseases" cost them
> £1:5 billion a year to treat. If you present as a smoker of course,
> almost everything is attributed to smoking. Even so, we contribute 8
> times what we cost the NHS.

Does that include all the treatment of non smokers illnesses caused by
secondary smoking or do you just ignore that as you claim there are no
effects? How about the other non NHS costs? Like sick pay, disability pay,
etc. you appear to forget that.

Frank Erskine

Mar 9, 2008, 5:17:54 AM3/9/08
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 01:03:37 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
<davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> had this to say:

Ah - right. So it's perfectly OK to blow smoke all over your kids
then, and pass on terminal illnesses; the taxes raised by government
will more than compensate for that.

If we really _have_ to contribute to the NHS, why not spend on
treatment of unavoidable illness?

--
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine

Mar 9, 2008, 5:24:36 AM3/9/08
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 09:14:36 -0000, "dennis@home"
<den...@killspam.kicks-ass.net> had this to say:

>Anyway smokers soon get upset if you whip a bottle of evostick out and open
>it in the pub.

It's nowhere near as good as it used to be... :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Rob

Mar 9, 2008, 5:47:30 AM3/9/08

Rather dated research? I'm not sure of the solution to the problem. I
don't think emotional blackmail and legislation is the way. In the words
of Brooker/Lewis:

----

Once upon a time, in between scrawling allegorical fables about lions
and wardrobes, CS Lewis said something prescient. "Of all tyrannies," he
wrote, "a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be
the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than
under omnipotent moral busybodies.

The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some
point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will
torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own
conscience."

----

Rich coming from Lewis but food for thought ;-)

> Also, a full economic costing of smoking shows the cost is greater
> than the tax revenue.

Costs of smoking are enormous - but i don't know of an economic model
that demonstrates what you say. The BMJ tend to report an eight-fold
'profit' on treating smoking related illness. Do you have a source?

Rob

cerberus

Mar 9, 2008, 6:09:21 AM3/9/08
> "cerberus" <cerb...@thegatesofhell.com> wrote in message
>> Snipped>
>>> 17,000 under-5s are hospitalised each year as a result of
>>> respiratory conditions caused by their parents smoking
>>> Royal College of Physicians, Smoking and the Young, 1994.
>>>
>>> Also, a full economic costing of smoking shows the cost is greater
>>> than the tax revenue.
>>
>> Any statistics showing respiratory conditions caused by traffic
>> fumes & industrial pollution (including the use of pesticides) by
>> any chance???
>
> Of course there is.. however traffic fumes and industry are getting
> less each year.. clean air act, cats, etc.
> Now its smokers turn to contribute and about time too.

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

This well-known saying is part of a phrase attributed to Benjamin Disraeli
and popularized in the U.S. by Mark Twain: There are three kinds of lies:
lies, damned lies, and statistics. The semi-ironic statement refers to the
persuasive power of numbers, and succinctly describes how even accurate
statistics can be used to bolster inaccurate arguments.

Don.

The Medway Handyman

Mar 9, 2008, 6:58:06 AM3/9/08

Clutching at straws again Dennis? Just to please you, lets assume there is
a link between passive smoking & ill heath. In that case the £10:5 billion
surplus should cover it with a bit left over - making smokers 'health
neutral'.

The Medway Handyman

Mar 9, 2008, 7:09:30 AM3/9/08

Nonody said they wanted to deliberately blow smoke over children or fluffy
bunnies. There is no evidence to suggest that doing so would 'pass on
terminal illness's'. The emotive argument yet again.

Have none of the RASF's noticed BTW? Passive smoke travels upwards when
expelled from active smokers lings, not downwards. Since children & fluffy
bunnies are usually much shorter than smokers (even though smoking stunts
your growth) they are unlikely to recieve much.

Cue RASF to claim that children & fluffy bunnies on stilts could still be
effected. Or that smoking midgets..............

The Medway Handyman

Mar 9, 2008, 8:36:00 AM3/9/08
dennis@home wrote:

> Anyway smokers soon get upset if you whip a bottle of evostick out
> and open it in the pub.. its my choice to glue sniff if I want, I
> can't help it that it pollutes their air at least *I* get a high even
> if I have to share it with them. I can't help it if they then suffer
> withdrawal from not having the Evostick when they go home either..
> they can start sniffing too if its a problem. There are no studies
> that show secondary glue sniffing is dangerous so what do they have
> to complain about? Next they will be saying it ruins the taste of
> their pint.. I don't care as long as I get my fix. Look on the bright
> side their kids will be able to get a good sniff off their clothes
> when they get home too so they will be acclimatized by the time they
> are old enough to go into a pub.

First of all Dennis, let me congratulate you on admitting on a public forum
that you are a habitual glue sniffer. Thats a brave thing to do.

I now realise why your attitude to smokers is so irrational. The thought of
an inconsiderate smoker sparking up & setting your glue on fire must be a
constant worry and your ability to think clearly must be affected by the
fumes.

Glue sniffing, like smoking is a perfectly legal activity. If your local
pub had a sign outside saying "This Pub Allows Glue Sniffing" then, since I
don't especially like your filthy addiction, I would choose not to go in. I
would go to the pub with the sign "Smoking is allowed in this Pub". Then we
would both be happy.

Dirty drug habit that glue sniffing.. get hooked by a high.. suffer from

withdrawal symptoms.. claim its still giving them a high and that they enjoy
it.. typical addict.. can't admit the truth.. its the lows they suffer from
and they don't get highs after a few weeks/months.

I hope you can manage to give it up.

--

Message has been deleted

Rod

Mar 9, 2008, 8:56:24 AM3/9/08
Anne Jackson wrote:
> The message from Rod <poly...@ntlworld.com> contains these words:

>> Anne Jackson wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> I blame the amount of really _stinking_ cleaning stuff
>>> that's currently marketed.
>>>
>> Chav perfume?
>
> No, I have no experience of chavs, or their perfume. I found
> Marks & Spencer's bathroom cleaner to be one of the worst
> cleaners available in the 'take your breath away' stakes.
>
> Now, if it can affect MY breathing, what would it do to
> that of a child?

Actually agreed completely. Just a cheap jibe in my last post. The
absolute worst has to be urinal blocks (usually added in copious
quantities to mask the smell of poorly-functioning urinals).

Washing liquids/powders and softeners are pretty gross - you shouldn't
be forced to smell other peoples' clothes in the high street. (However I
word that it comes out with possibly unfortunate connotations. Sorry.)

The DVD we watched last night smells of lavender!

The amazing variety of smell releasing devices advertised all the time.
And these things use electricity as well.

The Medway Handyman

Mar 9, 2008, 9:05:01 AM3/9/08
Anne Jackson wrote:
> The message from Rod <poly...@ntlworld.com> contains these words:
>> Anne Jackson wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> I blame the amount of really _stinking_ cleaning stuff
>>> that's currently marketed.
>>>
>> Chav perfume?
>
> No, I have no experience of chavs, or their perfume. I found
> Marks & Spencer's bathroom cleaner to be one of the worst
> cleaners available in the 'take your breath away' stakes.
>
> Now, if it can affect MY breathing, what would it do to
> that of a child?

Ever stood next to a field of oil seed rape? Makes your eyes water & brings
on coughing fits. I had to have a fag to calm down :-)

Message has been deleted

Steve Walker

Mar 9, 2008, 9:58:51 AM3/9/08

I look forward to similar articles about the havoc wreaked upon the world's
children by adult users of drugs, alcohol, motor cars, polluting chemicals,
brutal economic policies, and of course weapons of war. In the interim, I
shall maintain my generous "no-charge" policy to any infant that chooses to
be downwind of me.

cerberus

Mar 9, 2008, 9:59:29 AM3/9/08
> The message from "The Medway Handyman"
> <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> contains these words:

>> Anne Jackson wrote:
>>> The message from Rod <poly...@ntlworld.com> contains these words:

>>> No, I have no experience of chavs, or their perfume. I found
>>> Marks & Spencer's bathroom cleaner to be one of the worst
>>> cleaners available in the 'take your breath away' stakes.
>>>
>>> Now, if it can affect MY breathing, what would it do to
>>> that of a child?
>
>> Ever stood next to a field of oil seed rape? Makes your eyes water
>> & brings on coughing fits. I had to have a fag to calm down :-)
>
> I live and work amongst fields of oil seed rape, and it stinks! Worst
> bastard crop ever devised! I was never allergic to _anything_ until
> the farmers of Perthshire decided that this was the best money-maker.
>
> Which is why I have little regard for the problems that farmers
> encounter. They have little regard for the health of people in
> the surrounding areas, and they're the greediest shower imaginable.

Add to that, all the chemicals they use. Herbicides/Pesticides along with
their nefarious crop spraying. Hormones added to animal feeds & even
injected into the amimals themselves. Rivers polluted & eventually the
watertable itself. Oestrogen laced fish namely Salmon & Trout sold openly!.

Then along comes some prat claiming that the ills of mankind are caused by
passive smoking! I wonder whether he's a card carrying member of
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm..

Don.

Steve Walker

Mar 9, 2008, 10:00:26 AM3/9/08
Anne Jackson wrote:
> The message from "The Medway Handyman"
> <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> contains these words:
>
>> Perhaps you could explain why asthma has increased substantially in
>> the last
>> decade whilst smoking has decreased substantially? No of course you
>> can't. Inconvenient fact I know, but being a RASF you will no doubt
>> choose to ignore it.
>
> I blame the amount of really _stinking_ cleaning stuff that's
> currently marketed.

Indeed - what the hell do they put in Cillit Bang, for example?

Steve Walker

Mar 9, 2008, 10:01:20 AM3/9/08
dennis@home wrote:

> Anyway smokers soon get upset if you whip a bottle of evostick out
> and open it in the pub..

Not at all - enjoy yourself.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Mar 9, 2008, 10:57:02 AM3/9/08
drugs began to take hold. I remember "BRG" <br...@invalllid.com> saying
something like:

>Passive smoking -

Waster troll. Why don't you fuck off to alt.anti.smoking.nazis. where
your sort are tolerated?
--

Dave

dennis@home

Mar 9, 2008, 11:40:36 AM3/9/08

"The Medway Handyman" <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Just making it up to support your addiction again.

dennis@home

Mar 9, 2008, 11:44:58 AM3/9/08

"The Medway Handyman" <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Since when have any smokers even thought about not breathing down their
nostrils?
You really are desperate to justify your habit.
Be a man and admit that like most addicts you just don't care and never have
and never will.

dennis@home

Mar 9, 2008, 11:47:20 AM3/9/08

"Frank Erskine" <frank....@btinternet.com> wrote in message

I've got some of the old stuff if a smoker starts to annoy me.
Pour a bit on a tin lid and leave it and see if they blow themselves up.

At work we used to have Freon sprays to fault find circuits.. they were good
as you could spray them about and they were harmless to everyone except
smokers.

dennis@home

Mar 9, 2008, 11:50:44 AM3/9/08

"Rod" <poly...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> The DVD we watched last night smells of lavender!

Which one? I *really* want to avoid it. Does it carry a warning?

Rod

Mar 9, 2008, 12:50:48 PM3/9/08

House M.D. Season 3 DVD 6. Must check the rest... Just checked - all
three outer cases (what were jewel cases on CDs)/all 6 DVDs. Can't
easily detect whether the smell originates from the DVD or the case. No
warning that I have noticed. I just thought it odd.

dennis@home

Mar 9, 2008, 3:14:52 PM3/9/08

> dennis@home wrote:
>>

>> "Rod" <poly...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> The DVD we watched last night smells of lavender!
>>
>> Which one? I *really* want to avoid it. Does it carry a warning?
>>

> House M.D. Season 3 DVD 6. Must check the rest... Just checked - all three
> outer cases (what were jewel cases on CDs)/all 6 DVDs. Can't easily detect
> whether the smell originates from the DVD or the case. No warning that I
> have noticed. I just thought it odd.

Could just be someone has dropped an air freshener in the warehouse/shop, I
doubt if I will buy that set so I am fairly safe. ;-)

nightjar

Mar 9, 2008, 3:25:47 PM3/9/08

"BRG" <br...@invalllid.com> wrote in message

> Passive smoking - more infomation for those addicted to the weed - it's
> interesting to see that that they are now advising smokers with children
> to partake of their fix outside rather than in the home - an excerpt and
> the link are below.
> He said: "Passive smoking at home, exposing children to smoke they cannot
> escape from, increases the risk of them getting ear disease, sticky runny
> noses and sore throats, and further down the track, some of these ENT
> symptoms can in due course led on to worse diseases such as asthma."
>
> He added: "We need to keep banging the drum. We need to publicise the fact
> that every cigarette you smoke is a cigarette that your child is smoking
> also."

My father was a 60-a-day smoker and I grew up in a city where you could
often see the pollution from coal fires in the air. I even recall there
being a brownish haze in the room during the worst smogs. I do not recall
being untypical of my generation in not suffering bronchial problems or
asthma, despite routine exposure to far higher levels of contaminants than
kids are likely to meet anywhere today. I find the evidence for the supposed
effects of secondary smoking to be very dubious and, for the record, I am a
non-smoker

Colin Bignell

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Frank Erskine

Mar 9, 2008, 4:56:09 PM3/9/08
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 20:43:46 GMT, <m...@privacy.net> had this to say:

>On 9 Mar,

>Isn't it water based these days? Or is that something else of that nature?

According to a tin I bought a bit ago it contains heptane & isomers,
solvent naptha (petroleum), light aromatic, <0·1% benzene.

It still smelled nicer a few decades ago...

--
Frank Erskine

Stephen Howard

Mar 9, 2008, 5:08:05 PM3/9/08
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 20:56:09 +0000, Frank Erskine
<frank....@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 20:43:46 GMT, <m...@privacy.net> had this to say:
>
>>On 9 Mar,
>> Frank Erskine <frank....@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 09:14:36 -0000, "dennis@home"
>>> <den...@killspam.kicks-ass.net> had this to say:

>>> It's nowhere near as good as it used to be... :-)
>>>
>>Isn't it water based these days? Or is that something else of that nature?
>
>According to a tin I bought a bit ago it contains heptane & isomers,
>solvent naptha (petroleum), light aromatic, <0·1% benzene.
>
>It still smelled nicer a few decades ago...

It changed to a new formula quite recently....probably a slightly
different solvent. It's not as good in performance terms...and it
doesn't smell as nice.

They do a water-based version...I've found it to be rubbish.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

The Medway Handyman

Mar 9, 2008, 7:19:08 PM3/9/08

Oh, so now you also admit to assaulting smokers? You are a dangerous
fanatic who needs locking up. One step away from suicide bombing.

Dave Plowman (News)

Mar 9, 2008, 7:49:47 PM3/9/08
In article <uZGdnV3W0pQ...@giganews.com>,

nightjar <cpb@<insert my surname here>.me.uk> wrote:
> My father was a 60-a-day smoker and I grew up in a city where you could
> often see the pollution from coal fires in the air. I even recall there
> being a brownish haze in the room during the worst smogs. I do not
> recall being untypical of my generation in not suffering bronchial
> problems or asthma, despite routine exposure to far higher levels of
> contaminants than kids are likely to meet anywhere today. I find the
> evidence for the supposed effects of secondary smoking to be very
> dubious and, for the record, I am a non-smoker

Yes- we're constantly being told how much air pollution from factories,
homes, cars etc has been reduced. And smoking certainly has. Yet
apparently asthma among the young is on the increase.

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

nightjar

Mar 9, 2008, 9:16:26 PM3/9/08

"Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <uZGdnV3W0pQ...@giganews.com>,
> nightjar <cpb@<insert my surname here>.me.uk> wrote:
>> My father was a 60-a-day smoker and I grew up in a city where you could
>> often see the pollution from coal fires in the air. I even recall there
>> being a brownish haze in the room during the worst smogs. I do not
>> recall being untypical of my generation in not suffering bronchial
>> problems or asthma, despite routine exposure to far higher levels of
>> contaminants than kids are likely to meet anywhere today. I find the
>> evidence for the supposed effects of secondary smoking to be very
>> dubious and, for the record, I am a non-smoker
>
> Yes- we're constantly being told how much air pollution from factories,
> homes, cars etc has been reduced.

I think anyone who recalls the 1953 London smog, or even recalls the smell
of traffic in a city street in the 1960s, will have little doubt about that.

> And smoking certainly has. Yet
> apparently asthma among the young is on the increase.

I favour the theory that kids don't now get enough exposure to disease early
on in life, so don't get their immune systems properly triggered. My parents
took the view that it was best I got any diseases going around as early as
possible, so, whenever the girl next door came down with something, I was
sent around to play with her. I actually came down with very little -
measles and german measles as I recall - but that could be because I had
been exposed to tuberculosis from a very young age. TB vaccination of
infants has been suggested as a way to combat asthma as, apparently, it
triggers a fairly deep level immune response.

Colin Bignell

dennis@home

Mar 10, 2008, 4:14:12 PM3/10/08

> dennis@home wrote:
>> "Frank Erskine" <frank....@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 09:14:36 -0000, "dennis@home"
>>> <den...@killspam.kicks-ass.net> had this to say:

>>> It's nowhere near as good as it used to be... :-)
>>
>> I've got some of the old stuff if a smoker starts to annoy me.
>> Pour a bit on a tin lid and leave it and see if they blow themselves
>> up.
>> At work we used to have Freon sprays to fault find circuits.. they
>> were good as you could spray them about and they were harmless to
>> everyone except smokers.
>
> Oh, so now you also admit to assaulting smokers? You are a dangerous
> fanatic who needs locking up.

No need, Freon has been banned as it may damage the ozone layer, wouldn't
want that as it is bad for innocent people as well as smokers.

> One step away from suicide bombing.

I assume that is you you are talking about as I certainly wouldn't want to
or need to resort to suicide bombing by myself. I would get some stupid
idiots like you to do it.

dennis@home

Mar 10, 2008, 4:14:57 PM3/10/08

"Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <uZGdnV3W0pQ...@giganews.com>,
> nightjar <cpb@<insert my surname here>.me.uk> wrote:
>> My father was a 60-a-day smoker and I grew up in a city where you could
>> often see the pollution from coal fires in the air. I even recall there
>> being a brownish haze in the room during the worst smogs. I do not
>> recall being untypical of my generation in not suffering bronchial
>> problems or asthma, despite routine exposure to far higher levels of
>> contaminants than kids are likely to meet anywhere today. I find the
>> evidence for the supposed effects of secondary smoking to be very
>> dubious and, for the record, I am a non-smoker
>
> Yes- we're constantly being told how much air pollution from factories,
> homes, cars etc has been reduced. And smoking certainly has. Yet
> apparently asthma among the young is on the increase.

And your point is?

The Medway Handyman

Mar 10, 2008, 4:43:09 PM3/10/08

Glue sniffer alert!

Rod

Mar 12, 2008, 4:27:43 AM3/12/08
Just because I gave up 2.5 years ago, I feel suitably smug to post this
for you:

<http://www.nosmokingday.org.uk/smokers/index.htm>

(Not really - just noticed and thought of uk.d-i-y's recent smoking
threads.)