tail light

Gary

Mar 16, 2012, 7:12:03 AM3/16/12
My small Suzuki bike has 12v battery electrics

It is 09 reg and the tail bulb lasted till 3 weeks ago now I have fitted
2 more.
The side light filament is just blowing. stop is OK . the head light is
OK and is the original . any suggestions. the replacement this week
lasted 4x 10 mile journeys.

Gary

Chris Bartram

Mar 16, 2012, 7:22:22 AM3/16/12
Check the connections are clean and firm, test the voltage regulator.

Dave Plowman (News)

Mar 16, 2012, 7:18:36 AM3/16/12
In article <5eF8r.58788$6J5....@newsfe17.ams2>,
Check the voltage of the battery with the engine running but nothing else
switched on, and speed up the engine to about 2000 rpm. Voltage should not
go over about 14.5. I'd guess you'll see something rather higher.

--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Roger Mills

Mar 16, 2012, 7:46:38 AM3/16/12
+1
Yes, it's either an over-voltage problem or a bad connection causing
them to be turned on and off rapidly. Bulbs don't like either of these.
Do the lights flicker (before the bulbs fail!) or are they steady? Are
they brighter than usual?
--
Cheers,
Roger

gri...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2012, 8:05:49 AM3/16/12
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:12:03 +0000, Gary <g.goo...@dottesco.net>
wrote:
1. Make sure the bulbs you're using are a decent quality - not Ring or
some unknown make.

2. I'd also suspect a vibration change by checking out the rubber
grommets or similar on any mounting bolts - this has the look of a
vibratory failure.

3. Another poss is the over-voltage situation; the tail light is on
all the time and prone to blowing if your reg/rec is defective and
overcharging the battery.

My money's on 2.

hugh

Mar 16, 2012, 12:13:07 PM3/16/12
In message <5eF8r.58788$6J5....@newsfe17.ams2>, Gary
<g.goo...@dottesco.net> writes
Takes over-voltage to blow a bulb.
--
hugh

Bob Minchin

Mar 16, 2012, 1:54:53 PM3/16/12
Another possible cause is excessive vibration eg if the light is on a
loose mudguard or similar but I agree that poor voltage regulation is a
very likely cause.

Bob

Tim Lamb

Mar 16, 2012, 3:32:58 PM3/16/12
In message <4va6m7h34guqurcs0...@4ax.com>,
gri...@gmail.com writes
And 4. Make sure the brake filament is not permanently energised and
overcooking the tail filament.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Gary

Mar 18, 2012, 3:26:43 PM3/18/12
You are all comming up with the same thoughts as me. I will report back
when it is cured.
As a point of interest the Head light and all the other lights, like the
number plate and speedo are always on and they have not suffered. so I
am inclined to the vibration or /and bad connections.
Thanks

Gary

Gary

Apr 8, 2012, 5:32:29 PM4/8/12
For anyone interested the Voltage checked out OK. The connections were
OK and all was tight EXCEPT the bulb in the holder was quite floppy. so
I put a bit of tape around the base of the bulb and that had the effect
of making the bulb tight in the holder. So far it has worked for two
weeks. 3 times longer than before. The holder is not damaged. Just a
sloppy fit.

The bike is a single cylinder and has never been a problem before. But
the bulbs are defiantly suffering vibration. Time will tell. ( This
bulb was the 2nd in a twin pack so it is a good comparison)
Message has been deleted

Gary

Apr 8, 2012, 5:49:28 PM4/8/12
On 08/04/2012 22:34, Tim Streater wrote:
> In article <Mtngr.14169$Tg1....@fx30.am4>,
> Gary <g.goo...@dottesco.net> wrote:
>
>> The bike is a single cylinder and has never been a problem before.
>> But the bulbs are defiantly suffering vibration.
>
> Shaking their little fists at you are they? :-)

oops but it nearly fits... ( must do better with the spelling in
future.... :-( )

Gary

Jul 9, 2013, 8:21:28 AM7/9/13
over a year and still going strong.