two way light switch

1 view

no-spam

Mar 8, 2001, 6:42:01 AM3/8/01
Hi, new to this group..I am looking for some advice on a circuit for a
two way light. Is there a good web site that may have diagrams?
Any help appreciated..
chr...@madasafish.com.(no-spam)

KJR

Mar 8, 2001, 3:09:57 PM3/8/01

Circuit:
1 1
o---------o
L----o o--------(lamp)------N
c o---------o c
2 2

^^^ ^^^
Two-way switches

--
Ken Redman
please reply to: ken_r...@hotmail.com

Dave Plowman

Mar 8, 2001, 9:48:43 AM3/8/01
In article <3AA7E715...@dummy.com>,

KJR <du...@dummy.com> wrote:
> Circuit:
> 1 1
> o---------o
> L----o o--------(lamp)------N
> c o---------o c
> 2 2

> ^^^ ^^^
> Two-way switches

That way will confuse most, as the switch pair are only at the existing
switch.
1 1
(blue) o---(new cable)------o-----(existing)------Red from lamp
(red) c o------( )---------o c
(yellow) o---( )------o-----( )------Black to lamp
2 2

Is easier, and saves using connector blocks, etc.

Simplest way is to run 1.0mm Triple and Earth between the two switches -
thats the cable which has red, yellow and blue sleeved conductors.

--
* The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman dave....@argonet.co.uk London SW 12
RIP Acorn

KJR

Mar 8, 2001, 6:30:03 PM3/8/01
Dave Plowman wrote:
> That way will confuse most, as the switch pair are only at the existing
> switch.
> 1 1
> (blue) o---(new cable)------o-----(existing)------Red from lamp
> (red) c o------( )---------o c
> (yellow) o---( )------o-----( )------Black to lamp
> 2 2
>
> Is easier, and saves using connector blocks, etc.

Mine was a circuit diagram, rather than an implementation plan, but
I like your way better!

Dave Plowman

Mar 8, 2001, 11:59:40 AM3/8/01
In article <3AA815FB...@dummy.com>,

KJR <du...@dummy.com> wrote:
> Mine was a circuit diagram, rather than an implementation plan, but
> I like your way better!

I nicked it from a proper sparks, after years of using connector
blocks.;-)

--
* OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Adam

Mar 9, 2001, 12:25:41 PM3/9/01
"KJR" <du...@dummy.com> wrote in message news:3AA815FB...@dummy.com...

While on this topic.

1) Is it possible to have a two-way switch with a dimmer on both switches?

2) is it possible to have a two-way switches and only one dimmer?

3) How are 3-way lights wired?

Just a thought, someone may have come up with something.

--
Our Homes Are Small & Expensive
Because We Are Not Allowed To

Make Land Available For The
People To Own & Use in the UK
http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/
.

Dave Plowman

Mar 9, 2001, 2:00:17 PM3/9/01
In article <98b3sn$fu6$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>,

Adam <ad...@NOSPPAMmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Is it possible to have a two-way switch with a dimmer on both
> switches?

Never seen one commercially, and it's not possible with standard dimmers,
but I have some at home that I made. Basically, it uses shaft encoders,
rather than pots, which send a digital signal - either 'up' or 'down' - to
the custom built dimmer electronics. Rather costly at the time.;-(

> 2) is it possible to have a two-way switches and only one dimmer?

Yes - most push on/off dimmers have a two way switch built in. But not the
type that turns down and then clicks off.

> 3) How are 3-way lights wired?

They are called intermediate switches and have 4 terminals instead of the
3 for a two-way.

o---------------------o o--------------------o
\ /
\/
---o 2 way 2 Way o---
/\
/ \
o---------------------o o--------------------o
Intermediate

--
* A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Chris French

Mar 10, 2001, 5:18:00 AM3/10/01
In message <3AA7E715...@dummy.com>, KJR <du...@dummy.com> writes

>no-spam wrote:
>>
>> Hi, new to this group..I am looking for some advice on a circuit for a
>> two way light. Is there a good web site that may have diagrams?
>> Any help appreciated..
>> chr...@madasafish.com.(no-spam)
>
>Circuit:
> 1 1
> o---------o
>L----o o--------(lamp)------N
> c o---------o c
> 2 2
>
> ^^^ ^^^
> Two-way switches

dddddddddddddd
--
Chris French, Leeds

Chris French

Mar 10, 2001, 6:03:52 PM3/10/01
In message <Sa7khHEY...@spennithorne.demon.co.uk>, Chris French
<newsp...@chrisfrench.org> writes

>dddddddddddddd

i ahve no idea where that came from........
--
Chris French, Leeds

Chris French

Mar 12, 2001, 5:45:16 PM3/12/01
In message <9843...@f90.n255.z2.fidonet.org>, Simon Avery
<SPAM.B.GO...@softhome.net> writes
>Chris French <newsp...@chrisfrench.org> wrote:
>
>Hello Chris
>
>>> dddddddddddddd
>> CF| i ahve no idea where that came from........
>
>Got a cat/small child/dog/hampster that could've strayed onto your
>keyboard?

small child is only 2 weeks I think she can be discounted...........

Cat - maybe but pretty cleaver to get all the key combinations to start
and post a new email
--
Chris French, Leeds