How to remove old vinyl bumper stickers from car body?

AL_n

Mar 24, 2012, 1:58:53 PM3/24/12
Can anyone advise how to remove old vinyl stickers from a car's bodywork
without damaging the paintwork? I tried peeling them off, but there is no
way!

Many thanks,

Al

dennis@home

Mar 24, 2012, 2:08:36 PM3/24/12

"AL_n" <fgdf...@fghfghfg.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone advise how to remove old vinyl stickers from a car's bodywork
> without damaging the paintwork? I tried peeling them off, but there is no
> way!

AIUI they remove the vinyl wrap from cars using a heat gun.. try a hair
dryer.

AL_n

Mar 24, 2012, 2:14:31 PM3/24/12
"dennis@home" <den...@killspam.kicks-ass.net> wrote in news:jkl2j5$r1f$1
@news.albasani.net:

> AIUI they remove the vinyl wrap from cars using a heat gun.. try a hair
> dryer.

Thanks. I've heard that advice, and it may be the only way.

I wonder if anyone knows a method that is less of a risk to the paintwork.

Al

michael adams

Mar 24, 2012, 2:46:49 PM3/24/12

"AL_n" <fgdf...@fghfghfg.com> wrote in message
If you own a car whose paintwork can be damaged by your
hair dryer, I suggest you either buy yourself another car
or another hair dryer.

michael adams

Chris J Dixon

Mar 24, 2012, 3:46:46 PM3/24/12
michael adams wrote:

>"AL_n" <fgdf...@fghfghfg.com> wrote in message
>> "dennis@home" <den...@killspam.kicks-ass.net> wrote in news:jkl2j5$r1f$1
>> @news.albasani.net:
>>
>>> AIUI they remove the vinyl wrap from cars using a heat gun.. try a hair
>>> dryer.
>>
>> Thanks. I've heard that advice, and it may be the only way.
>>
>> I wonder if anyone knows a method that is less of a risk to the paintwork.
>
>If you own a car whose paintwork can be damaged by your
>hair dryer, I suggest you either buy yourself another car
>or another hair dryer.

;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
ch...@cdixon.me.uk

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Jules Richardson

Mar 24, 2012, 4:17:53 PM3/24/12
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 18:14:31 +0000, AL_n wrote:

> "dennis@home" <den...@killspam.kicks-ass.net> wrote in news:jkl2j5$r1f$1
> @news.albasani.net:
>
>> AIUI they remove the vinyl wrap from cars using a heat gun.. try a hair
>> dryer.
>
> Thanks. I've heard that advice, and it may be the only way.

It worked for me with our van - just take it slowly and once you have a
corner lifted direct the heat between the sticker and the paintwork. I'm
not sure how resistant modern paints are to sun fading - it was fine with
the van (2008) but on an older vehicle you might end up with obvious
outlines of where the stickers used to be...

cheers

Jules

John Williamson

Mar 24, 2012, 5:10:07 PM3/24/12
Hair dryer and be prepared to use a colour restorer such as T-cut on all
the paintwork.

Even if it's not faded in the sunlight, the exposed paint will probably
have traffic film ground in and oxidation of the surface. It's not too
bad on a car when you compare it with the same job on a coach or bus.

Then polish it to make it easier next time.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

fred

Mar 24, 2012, 6:16:12 PM3/24/12
In article <mY6dnfal1-UCi_PS...@brightview.co.uk>, michael
adams <mjad...@ukonline.co.k> writes
The difficulty is that a hairdrier really doesn't have the oomph and a
heatgun could easily be too aggressive. Too little heat and any poorly
bonded paintwork will lift, too much and you have effected the perfect
heat based paint strip.

My choice would be a heatgun on low, not too close, with much wafting
and pulling the sticker with minimum possible force, only pull when it
is clear it wants to come off.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

ss

Mar 24, 2012, 8:22:27 PM3/24/12
On 24/03/2012 22:28, Huge wrote:
> On 2012-03-24, AL_n<fgdf...@fghfghfg.com> wrote:
>> Can anyone advise how to remove old vinyl stickers from a car's bodywork
>> without damaging the paintwork? I tried peeling them off, but there is no
>> way!
>
> Hot air gun. Then peel them off.

They use this test with hairdressing students to show the effect of heat
damage to hair.

As you may not have a heat gun use a hair dryer, try this, Let the
hairdryer heat up then Hold the dryer 1 inch away from your skin and see
how long you can keep it there (ouch), now try from afar and slowly
bring nearer to your skin and see how the heat increases. This will give
you a measure on what `heat` you are applying to the sticker from a
certain distance. If you just start heating without knowing you could do
some damage.
Message has been deleted

AL_n

Mar 25, 2012, 9:47:20 AM3/25/12
ss <wee...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:iztbr.26018$VY2....@fx05.am4:
Thanks to all for the suggestions. It is done!

Al