Baths - Steel or acrylic - Which is best?

David Smithz

Mar 3, 2006, 10:49:22 AM3/3/06
Hi there,

Further to an earlier posting I am looking into Bathroom suites. All the big
stores seem to of gone acrylic but older folk (e.g. parents) seem to say
steel baths are better (but they do not know much about plastic ones).

Also I am quite tempted by a "shower" bath I saw in B&Q. It retails at £220,
but where you would stand in it for having a shower, it gives a bit of extra
space. This appealed to me and is not available (or harder to find) in
steel.

Any opinions?

Kind regards

Dave

Christian McArdle

Mar 3, 2006, 11:01:03 AM3/3/06
> Also I am quite tempted by a "shower" bath I saw in B&Q. It retails at
£220,
> but where you would stand in it for having a shower, it gives a bit of
extra
> space. This appealed to me and is not available (or harder to find) in
> steel.

I prefer steel, although fancy shapes are usually only found in plastic. If
you go plastic, make sure it is nice and thick, especially if you expect to
stand in it.

Christian.

Mary Fisher

Mar 3, 2006, 11:14:42 AM3/3/06

"Christian McArdle" <cmcar...@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk> wrote in message

I prefer cast iron.

Mary

Christian McArdle

Mar 3, 2006, 11:22:01 AM3/3/06
>> I prefer steel, although fancy shapes are usually only found in plastic.
>
> I prefer cast iron.

Well yes. I prefer to bathe in champagne and have hot chocolate taps, but it
ain't gonna happen!

Christian.

Mary Fisher

Mar 3, 2006, 11:29:25 AM3/3/06

"Christian McArdle" <cmcar...@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk> wrote in message

This morning, while the ground was solid and the pond and bird baths turned
to deep ice, I bathed in free hot water because the sun was shining!

Bathing in champagne is a waste though, it's best for internal use only :-)
While bathing is a good idea ...

Our cast iron bath was brought round by the rag and bone many years ago, the
price? A glass of whisky in the pub.

Mary

> Christian.

Christian McArdle

Mar 3, 2006, 11:34:10 AM3/3/06
> Bathing in champagne is a waste though, it's best for internal use only
:-)
> While bathing is a good idea ...

I can't stand drinking the stuff, so I'll probably be sipping on a nice cool
Trappist beer instead whilst feeling those refreshing bubbles.

Christian.

TheScullster

Mar 3, 2006, 11:47:47 AM3/3/06
Make sure, if you go acrylic, that it is well supported, both underneath the
base and round the rim.
I bought a reinforced "aqanite coated" acrylic bath, supported it with a 2"
x 1" timber frame all round.
Cetainly solid enough for a 13 stoner.

Phil

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Mar 3, 2006, 11:43:25 AM3/3/06

The glaze on an arcrylic bath tends to wear giving a dull appearence after
some time.
--

Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

a2z

Mar 3, 2006, 11:41:33 AM3/3/06

If you chose an acrylic bath, especially if from the cheaper end of the
range, I recommend fixing it on a wooden frame to support the upper rim (top
end, long side and bottom end if necessary) which goes against the walls. If
you don't then the bath will probably move as it fills with water, and move
even more when someone stands in it. A gap will appear between the edge of
the bath and the sealant, which will allow water to penetrate. This isn't an
usually an issue with a metal bath as it is a rigid structure.

Mary Fisher

Mar 3, 2006, 12:15:22 PM3/3/06

"Christian McArdle" <cmcar...@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk> wrote in message

:-)

Mary

> Christian.

Helen Deborah Vecht

Mar 3, 2006, 12:49:03 PM3/3/06
"TheScullster" <ph...@dropthespam.com>typed

> Phil

Erm, surely the weight of the bather is hardly the issue, as the water
in the tub usually weighs rather more??

I don't know how many litres/gallons normally fill a tub but I suspect
it's rather more than 90 litres/20 gallons (which weigh >14 stone)

--
Helen D. Vecht: helen...@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.

Nigel Molesworth

Mar 3, 2006, 1:19:55 PM3/3/06
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:49:03 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

>Erm, surely the weight of the bather is hardly the issue, as the water
>in the tub usually weighs rather more??

Yes and no.

>I don't know how many litres/gallons normally fill a tub but I suspect
>it's rather more than 90 litres/20 gallons (which weigh >14 stone)

The bath I'm looking at holds around 200 litres (so 200kg). But when I
get in there is another 120kg on top. Even 90kg adds 50%.

--
Nigel M

Helen Deborah Vecht

Mar 3, 2006, 1:34:24 PM3/3/06
Nigel Molesworth <re...@thegroup.email.invalid>typed

> Yes and no.

So only an insignificant proportion of your body gets submerged?

I like to soak/wallow in the tub and fill it enough to allow this.

The bath is therefore not full before I get in.

I would imagine you put maybe 150 litres into the bath and submerge
about 50 of your kg.

The weight of the filled bath is then 270kg.

Lobster

Mar 3, 2006, 1:36:27 PM3/3/06
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> "TheScullster" <ph...@dropthespam.com>typed
>

>>Make sure, if you go acrylic, that it is well supported, both
>>underneath the
>>base and round the rim.
>>I bought a reinforced "aqanite coated" acrylic bath, supported it with a 2"
>>x 1" timber frame all round.
>>Cetainly solid enough for a 13 stoner.
>
> Erm, surely the weight of the bather is hardly the issue, as the water
> in the tub usually weighs rather more??

True, but the bather's weight tends to be localised... if he's sitting
in just a few inches of water (ie not enough to impart significant
buoyancy) then his weight will largely be concentrated beneath his
buttocks. Then when he stands up (maybe showering?), it's even worse -
the whole weight is transmitted downwards through the small area of his
feet. And that's when the bath is most likely to crack, not when he's
lying down almost floating, with just his nose sticking out of the water.

David

Nigel Molesworth

Mar 3, 2006, 1:42:53 PM3/3/06
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 18:34:24 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

>I would imagine you put maybe 150 litres into the bath and submerge
>about 50 of your kg.
>
>The weight of the filled bath is then 270kg.

The submerged quantity is only relevant if it causes an overflow,
Archimedes and all that. But I agree that 120kg + 150kg = 270kg

--
Nigel M

Matt

Mar 3, 2006, 1:50:13 PM3/3/06
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 18:36:27 GMT, Lobster
<davidlobs...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>True, but the bather's weight tends to be localised... if he's sitting
>in just a few inches of water (ie not enough to impart significant
>buoyancy) then his weight will largely be concentrated beneath his
>buttocks. Then when he stands up (maybe showering?), it's even worse -
>the whole weight is transmitted downwards through the small area of his
>feet. And that's when the bath is most likely to crack, not when he's
>lying down almost floating, with just his nose sticking out of the water.

......which is when the bath comes through the ceiling.

Guy King

Mar 3, 2006, 2:15:54 PM3/3/06
The message <9r3h02l6tdec1u8mm...@4ax.com>
from Matt <pa...@duluxthesh.aggydog.com> contains these words:

> .......which is when the bath comes through the ceiling.

My great uncle had a sunken bath in rural Kent in the 1920s. He'd seen
one at the fleapit in some Amerian film and decided it was his heart's
desire.

The effect in the bathroom was by all accounts[1] rather good but
somewhat spoiled if you went into the kitchen and saw the claw-feet
poking through the ceiling.

The same g-uncle had an inside-outside tap. Apparently the water rates
were more for an outdoor tap so he had a hatch in the wall to allow
access to the inside tap. A hatch big enough for the watering can.

[1] And there were many - the Lukehursts were a very large family and
most of them "happened past" to see the magnificent ablutions.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Glenn Booth

Mar 3, 2006, 2:44:03 PM3/3/06

"Mary Fisher" <mary....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Our cast iron bath was brought round by the rag and bone many years ago,
> the price? A glass of whisky in the pub.

I was out looking for baths today. The only cast iron one I could find was
£1300.
Ouch. I was hoping to get the hardware for the whole bathroom for that!

Regards,

Glenn.

Dave Plowman (News)

Mar 3, 2006, 2:47:09 PM3/3/06
In article <6AZNf.29490$wl....@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,

David Smithz <dave...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Further to an earlier posting I am looking into Bathroom suites. All the
> big stores seem to of gone acrylic but older folk (e.g. parents) seem
> to say steel baths are better (but they do not know much about plastic
> ones).

Best ones are cast iron.

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mary Fisher

Mar 3, 2006, 2:58:50 PM3/3/06

"Glenn Booth" <gl...@thenoos.co.uk> wrote in message

Um.

I might be persuaded to do you a deal, Guv ...

Mary

Ed Sirett

Mar 3, 2006, 3:23:35 PM3/3/06

Steel is cheaper and stronger.
The plastic is warmer (but really it not a problem with either) and comes
in a bigger variety of shapes and colours.

mcbri...@aol.com

Mar 3, 2006, 3:45:59 PM3/3/06
What about colours? My 1981 bathroom suite is the same colour as the
Gills of a Mushroom. These days it seems that you can have any colour
as long as it is white.

Chris.

Mary Fisher

Mar 3, 2006, 3:50:49 PM3/3/06

<mcbri...@aol.com> wrote in message

> What about colours? My 1981 bathroom suite is the same colour as the
> Gills of a Mushroom. These days it seems that you can have any colour
> as long as it is white.

Hurrah!

Mary

> Chris.

Guy King

Mar 3, 2006, 4:01:57 PM3/3/06
The message <4e01f6d...@davenoise.co.uk>
from "Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> contains these words:

<Baths>

> Best ones are cast iron.

Hmm, they're durable but they also take forever to warm up. Unless you
have the hot-feed wrapped round the back of the head-end to preheat it
I'll pass on cast iron if you don't mind. Can't stand leaning back
against a cold slab.

Mary Fisher

Mar 3, 2006, 4:17:37 PM3/3/06

"Guy King" <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> The message <4e01f6d...@davenoise.co.uk>
> from "Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> contains these words:
>
> <Baths>
>> Best ones are cast iron.
>
> Hmm, they're durable but they also take forever to warm up.

No they don't!

They're at room temperature!

> Unless you
> have the hot-feed wrapped round the back of the head-end to preheat it
> I'll pass on cast iron if you don't mind. Can't stand leaning back
> against a cold slab.

<shakes head>

I sometimes wonder about some folk ... :-)

Mary

Guy King

Mar 3, 2006, 4:22:38 PM3/3/06
The message <1141418759....@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
from mcbri...@aol.com contains these words:

> My 1981 bathroom suite is the same colour as the Gills of a Mushroom.

Yeah, I hate cleaning the bath, too.

Mary Fisher

Mar 3, 2006, 4:33:28 PM3/3/06

"Guy King" <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> The message <1141418759....@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
> from mcbri...@aol.com contains these words:
>
>> My 1981 bathroom suite is the same colour as the Gills of a Mushroom.
>
> Yeah, I hate cleaning the bath, too.

An enamelled cast iron bath takes very little cleaning - just a spray with
the shower :-)

Mary

Adrian Boliston

Mar 3, 2006, 4:45:34 PM3/3/06
"David Smithz" <dave...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hi there,
>
> Further to an earlier posting I am looking into Bathroom suites. All the
> big stores seem to of gone acrylic but older folk (e.g. parents) seem to
> say steel baths are better (but they do not know much about plastic ones).
>
> Also I am quite tempted by a "shower" bath I saw in B&Q. It retails at
> £220, but where you would stand in it for having a shower, it gives a bit
> of extra space. This appealed to me and is not available (or harder to
> find) in steel.
>

> Any opinions?
>
> Kind regards

When I replaced my bathroom at my old home I got a "carronite" bath, which I
think cannot be beaten as it has the strength of steel yet the warmth of
plastic.

Nick

Mar 3, 2006, 4:55:14 PM3/3/06
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

> The glaze on an arcrylic bath tends to wear giving a dull
appearence after
> some time.

It is possible to polish an acrylic bath with Brasso, and it
comes up as good as new.
Once a steel bath becomes worn it's a huge job to resurface it.

Helen Deborah Vecht

Mar 3, 2006, 4:42:03 PM3/3/06
"Mary Fisher" <mary....@zetnet.co.uk>typed

> > Hmm, they're durable but they also take forever to warm up.

> No they don't!

> They're at room temperature!

Don't know about you, but I like my bathwater to be rather warmer than
room temperature (probably 40°C or 104°F).

My flesh is approximately 37°C and my room is about 21°C. A bath with
sides of 30° will still feel cold.

It will also cool the bath water.

> > Unless you
> > have the hot-feed wrapped round the back of the head-end to preheat it
> > I'll pass on cast iron if you don't mind. Can't stand leaning back
> > against a cold slab.

Nor can I.

> <shakes head>

> I sometimes wonder about some folk ... :-)

So do I...

DJC

Mar 3, 2006, 5:21:24 PM3/3/06
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> Erm, surely the weight of the bather is hardly the issue, as the water
> in the tub usually weighs rather more??
>
> I don't know how many litres/gallons normally fill a tub but I suspect
> it's rather more than 90 litres/20 gallons (which weigh >14 stone)

But the weight of the water is evenly distributed. Stepping into, or out
of, a bath is another matter.

--
David Clark
<http://www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk>

Bob Eager

Mar 3, 2006, 5:25:48 PM3/3/06
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 21:42:03 UTC, Helen Deborah Vecht
<helen...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> "Mary Fisher" <mary....@zetnet.co.uk>typed
>

> > > Hmm, they're durable but they also take forever to warm up.
>
> > No they don't!
>
> > They're at room temperature!
>
> Don't know about you, but I like my bathwater to be rather warmer than
> room temperature (probably 40░C or 104░F).

In any case, Mary's room will (she will probably claim) be at 0 degrees,
what with the 3 foot stone walls, the beaten earth floor etc. The only
heating will be a small cow.

Guy King

Mar 3, 2006, 5:56:19 PM3/3/06
The message <176uZD2KcidF-p...@rikki.tavi.co.uk>
from "Bob Eager" <rd...@spamcop.net> contains these words:

> In any case, Mary's room will (she will probably claim) be at 0 degrees,
> what with the 3 foot stone walls, the beaten earth floor etc. The only
> heating will be a small cow.

But think how warm it gets when it has a widdle. When I milked cows as a
teenager the water heater was rarely working and you learned on bitterly
cold days that a stream of cow urine is nice and warm.

Helen Deborah Vecht

Mar 3, 2006, 5:52:28 PM3/3/06
"Bob Eager" <rd...@spamcop.net>typed

> In any case, Mary's room will (she will probably claim) be at 0 degrees,
> what with the 3 foot stone walls, the beaten earth floor etc. The only
> heating will be a small cow.

Each to his/her own.

I am *really* unusual. I live in a centrally heated, double-glazed, 3
bedroomed 1930s semi-detached house ;-)

Dave

Mar 3, 2006, 6:28:39 PM3/3/06
Mary Fisher wrote:

> "Guy King" <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>The message <4e01f6d...@davenoise.co.uk>
>>from "Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> contains these words:
>>
>><Baths>
>>
>>>Best ones are cast iron.
>>
>>Hmm, they're durable but they also take forever to warm up.
>

> No they don't!
>
> They're at room temperature!

Room temp here might be as low as 28 F as wifey likes to open the
bathroom window after her shower in the morning. I like to take a bath
in the evening, as my little job can make me sweat a tad. By this time,
room temp is also the bath temp is outside temp. As others have said, a
cast iron bath takes ages to warm up.

Dave

Andy Hall

Mar 3, 2006, 6:34:49 PM3/3/06
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:29:25 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
<mary....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

>"Christian McArdle" <cmcar...@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I prefer cast iron.
>>
>> Well yes. I prefer to bathe in champagne and have hot chocolate taps, but
>> it
>> ain't gonna happen!
>
>This morning, while the ground was solid and the pond and bird baths turned
>to deep ice, I bathed in free hot water because the sun was shining!
>
>Bathing in champagne is a waste though, it's best for internal use only :-)
>While bathing is a good idea ...

Think what you could do with the chocolate taps though :-)

--

.andy

Guy King

Mar 3, 2006, 6:43:50 PM3/3/06
The message <3130303037363...@zetnet.co.uk>
from Helen Deborah Vecht <helen...@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:

> I am *really* unusual. I live in a centrally heated, double-glazed, 3
> bedroomed 1930s semi-detached house ;-)

You didn't mention the priest-hole. No, really, she's got a priest-hole.

Chris Cowley

Mar 3, 2006, 6:59:01 PM3/3/06
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 19:44:03 -0000, "Glenn Booth" <gl...@thenoos.co.uk>
wrote:

>I was out looking for baths today. The only cast iron one I could find was
>£1300.

Blimey. That makes me wish I hadn't stuck a lump hammer through ours and
thrown it in a skip when we moved in 7 years ago!
--
Chris Cowley

Helen Deborah Vecht

Mar 3, 2006, 8:02:33 PM3/3/06
Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk>typed

> The message <3130303037363...@zetnet.co.uk>
> from Helen Deborah Vecht <helen...@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:

> > I am *really* unusual. I live in a centrally heated, double-glazed, 3
> > bedroomed 1930s semi-detached house ;-)

> You didn't mention the priest-hole. No, really, she's got a priest-hole.

And you didn't mention the *other* priest hole...

Ian White

Mar 3, 2006, 6:32:29 PM3/3/06
Rather than remove our over-sized steel bath when it became ratty, we
had it lined with a drop-in acrylic shell which gave the same
advantages.

--
Ian White

Guy King

Mar 4, 2006, 4:24:27 AM3/4/06
The message <3130303037363...@zetnet.co.uk>
from Helen Deborah Vecht <helen...@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:

> > You didn't mention the priest-hole. No, really, she's got a priest-hole.

> And you didn't mention the *other* priest hole...

Yeah, well, I didn't want to give away /all/ your secrets!

David WE Roberts

Mar 4, 2006, 5:28:43 AM3/4/06
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 15:49:22 +0000, David Smithz wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Further to an earlier posting I am looking into Bathroom suites. All the
> big stores seem to of gone acrylic but older folk (e.g. parents) seem to
> say steel baths are better (but they do not know much about plastic
> ones).
>
> Also I am quite tempted by a "shower" bath I saw in B&Q. It retails at
> £220, but where you would stand in it for having a shower, it gives a
> bit of extra space. This appealed to me and is not available (or harder
> to find) in steel.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Kind regards
>

> Dave

[I was reading all the other posts to see if this was covered, but
eventually I lost the will to live]

For price, cheap pressed steel and cheap acrylic baths are much of a
muchness.

If you are bathing (filling and sitting in) again, much of a muchness.

When I did my second bathroom, I went for acrylic for the following
reason:

We shower mostly, so we were looking for a bath to shower in. Pressed
steel is shaped in curves, and so the standing area at the bottom of the
bath is quite small.
Acrylic baths are moulded and so the bases are flatter.

If you are paying a bit more money, then you can get acrylic baths with
wide strong bases ideal for a combination bath and shower tray.

Don't worry too much about the flexibility of cheap acrylic baths. I had a
major panic attack about out cheapo Homebase unit (and was reassured by
this NG).
With battens along the walls to support the rim, the cradle adjusted
nicely. the brackets from the wooden bits in the bath rim fixed to the
wall it all settled in nice and firmly.

My personal vote is for acrylic but that assumes you will be showering a
lot (or mostly). You did mention a shower bath :-)

HTH

Dave R

David Smithz

Mar 4, 2006, 5:57:30 AM3/4/06

"David WE Roberts" <nos...@talk21.com> wrote in message

> [I was reading all the other posts to see if this was covered, but
> eventually I lost the will to live]
>
> For price, cheap pressed steel and cheap acrylic baths are much of a
> muchness.
>
> If you are bathing (filling and sitting in) again, much of a muchness.
>
> When I did my second bathroom, I went for acrylic for the following
> reason:
>
> We shower mostly, so we were looking for a bath to shower in. Pressed
> steel is shaped in curves, and so the standing area at the bottom of the
> bath is quite small.
> Acrylic baths are moulded and so the bases are flatter.
>
> If you are paying a bit more money, then you can get acrylic baths with
> wide strong bases ideal for a combination bath and shower tray.
>
> Don't worry too much about the flexibility of cheap acrylic baths. I had a
> major panic attack about out cheapo Homebase unit (and was reassured by
> this NG).
> With battens along the walls to support the rim, the cradle adjusted
> nicely. the brackets from the wooden bits in the bath rim fixed to the
> wall it all settled in nice and firmly.
>
> My personal vote is for acrylic but that assumes you will be showering a
> lot (or mostly). You did mention a shower bath :-)

Thanks for this Dave. Yes definitely showing (at least three every morning)
much more then bathing (only the odd bath to be honest). I did like the look
of the bath that give the extra width in the shower bit.

B&Q for example have this shower bath with an extended bit that is flat (as
opposed to rounded like most) Not sure of the link will work but see

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=8200164&fh_search=shower+bath&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1141468850589

(be careful of the word wrap but if you search for 5060045950284 you will
see it). They do have a rounded one not listed on the wbesite, but it is
more money (about £100 more) and also means I have to buy a curved shower
screen (about £300 opposed to £100).

It is hard to tell anything about the quality of this bath so I welcome any
opinion of those in the know.
Also as I have now fitted a combi boiler I was going to go for a mixer
shower (I assume I am correct here). There was a nice looking one in B&Q for
about £330 (I think it had a 5 year guarantee too) but I did not really
understand why some were so much more then others. They all looked similar
function wise.

Is Mira a good one to get (not on website model I'm looking at).

So many decisions to make with my bathroom especially as my budget has
seemingly shot up from £1000 which is what my mates told me I could spend to
the £2750 I have been quoted for labour and the £1500 I'm looking to spend
on parts - boo hoo)

Cheers

The Medway Handyman

Mar 4, 2006, 6:41:16 AM3/4/06
David WE Roberts wrote:

>> Further to an earlier posting I am looking into Bathroom suites. All
>> the big stores seem to of gone acrylic but older folk (e.g. parents)
>> seem to say steel baths are better (but they do not know much about
>> plastic ones).

Personaly I'd go for acrylic, but heed the advice others have given - they
do need supporting carefully, especially underneath. The metal legs are OK,
but I also built a frame out of 2 x 2 to support the entire base of mine.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Chippy Roy

Chippy Roy

Mar 4, 2006, 8:10:38 AM3/4/06

.

Don't worry too much about the flexibility of cheap acrylic baths. I
had a
major panic attack about out cheapo Homebase unit (and was reassured
by
this NG).
With battens along the walls to support the rim, the cradle adjusted
nicely. the brackets from the wooden bits in the bath rim fixed to the
wall it all settled in nice and firmly.

My personal vote is for acrylic but that assumes you will be showering
lot (or mostly). You did mention a shower bath :-)

HTH

Dave R

The plastic/fibreglass bath that I installed has a timber/ply bearer
running along the underside of the bath and then the support feet are
fixed to this which takes the weight when you step into the bath. The
side and end where the panels are I framed up with 25mmx38mm sawn timber
and along the wall side there are two metal straps that screw to the
wall. When ready for tiling you should half fill the bath with water
which will settle it firmly, fix the tiles and leave for the tile
adhesive and grout to dry. I installed my bath eleven years ago and have
had no touble with it, I have only had to change the sealant which goes
around the bath and tile joint.
I hope this is helps you
Roy

--
Chippy Roy

Owain

Mar 4, 2006, 8:00:32 AM3/4/06
David Smithz wrote:
> Thanks for this Dave. Yes definitely show[er]ing (at least three every morning)

I'm all in favour of hygiene but three times in a morning sounds a
little obsessive-compulsive.

Owain

Blueyonder

Mar 4, 2006, 1:18:03 PM3/4/06

> "Guy King" <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> The message <4e01f6d...@davenoise.co.uk>
>> from "Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> contains these words:
>>
>> <Baths>
>>> Best ones are cast iron.
>>
>> Hmm, they're durable but they also take forever to warm up.
>
> No they don't!
>
> They're at room temperature!

That's right - and room temperature ain't hot ;-)

-- JJ

Mary Fisher

Mar 4, 2006, 2:23:59 PM3/4/06

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <helen...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Bob Eager" <rd...@spamcop.net>typed
>
>> In any case, Mary's room will (she will probably claim) be at 0 degrees,
>> what with the 3 foot stone walls, the beaten earth floor etc. The only
>> heating will be a small cow.
>
> Each to his/her own.
>
> I am *really* unusual. I live in a centrally heated, double-glazed, 3
> bedroomed 1930s semi-detached house ;-)

So do I.

Funny, innit.

Mike Halmarack

Mar 4, 2006, 2:29:16 PM3/4/06
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 18:18:03 GMT, "Blueyonder" <jud...@acadweb.co.uk>
wrote:

I've struggled through many a tight spot and up flights of stairs with
cast iron baths to enjoy the aesthetics. It played a large part in
making me the wreck I am. Knackered but clean with it. :-)
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

Cicero

Mar 5, 2006, 5:52:47 AM3/5/06

> "David WE Roberts" <nos...@talk21.com> wrote in message
>
>> [I was reading all the other posts to see if this was covered, but
>> eventually I lost the will to live]
>>
>><snipped>

> B&Q for example have this shower bath with an extended bit that is flat
> (as
> opposed to rounded like most) Not sure of the link will work but see
>
> http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=8200164&fh_search=shower+bath&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1141468850589

<snipped>

> It is hard to tell anything about the quality of this bath so I welcome
> any
> opinion of those in the know.
> Also as I have now fitted a combi boiler I was going to go for a mixer
> shower (I assume I am correct here). There was a nice looking one in B&Q
> for
> about £330 (I think it had a 5 year guarantee too) but I did not really
> understand why some were so much more then others. They all looked similar
> function wise.
>

><snipped>

=======================
Don't be deceived by this bath.

The dimensions for width 690mm minimum / 800mm maximum are not very
different from those of a standard bath which is usually about 700mm. You
might be better off just buying a standard bath unless you really need the
extra 100mm / 4" provided by the bath in the picture. And of course it's
actually narrower than standard at the normal 'sitting' end .

Cic.

Liam

Mar 5, 2006, 5:23:26 PM3/5/06
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 15:49:22 GMT, "David Smithz"
<dave...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi there,

>Further to an earlier posting I am looking into Bathroom suites. All the big
>stores seem to of gone acrylic but older folk (e.g. parents) seem to say
>steel baths are better (but they do not know much about plastic ones).
>

>Also I am quite tempted by a "shower" bath I saw in B&Q. It retails at £220,
>but where you would stand in it for having a shower, it gives a bit of extra
>space. This appealed to me and is not available (or harder to find) in
>steel.
>
>Any opinions?
>
>Kind regards
>
>Dave

Hello!
Having chipped the enamel on our cast iron bath at Christmas (I
dropped a hammer on it) my final choice for a replacement was a
Kaldewei Enamelled Steel bath Model 627. Lovely solid bath made from
3.5mm steel with a 30 year warranty. Well pleased with it and would
buy again but it was heavy to get into place in a small bathroom. The
bloke who delivered the bath was staggering under the weight and it
did have a label 'Akthung Not too be lifted by single person' on the
packing.