Insect/moth infestation

Paul Edwards

Jan 3, 2001, 6:09:35 AM1/3/01
I guess this counts as DIY, since I'd like to deal with the problem myself
if possible...

I moved into a new house back in May. House is c20 yrs old, fitted carpets.
Back in the summer I noticed quite a lot of tiny moth-like things flying
around (or were they flies - I don't know). I also noticed quite a lot of
small white objects appearing in the carpets, mainly in the downstairs loo
but also in the more inaccessible edges of the lounge carpet. These white
objects are typically about 8mm long and tubular in shape, looking almost
like tiny little scrolls of paper. I strongly suspect that the white objects
are linked to the moth-like creatures, and indeed have a fine example of
white object with a dead insect half hatched from it!

I hoovered very thoroughly in all the places where the white objects
appeared, but I notice that they are now reappearing (no moth-like creatures
at the moment though).

Anyone got any idea what these are, and any advice on what I should do about
them?

Many thanks,
Paul
wo...@hornist.co.uk
pa...@hornist.co.uk

kay

Jan 3, 2001, 3:16:30 PM1/3/01
Try alt.consumers.pest-control , You sound like you have an infestation of
common clothes moth or case-bearing clothes moth - basically the same with
minor pupal differences. The adult moths don't do any damage they rely on
food reserves built up in the larval stage. Treatment is the same for both
species. Depending on how bad the infestation is you need to at least spray
around the edges of all carpets in rooms where larval evidence is found,
lift the edge of the carpet and look for pupal cases (the scrolls of paper
you describe). If there are lots of these cases then you probably need to
lift the carpet and spray the floor and underside of the carpet. Treat using
a 'crawling insect killer' it will say something along the lines of
ants,cockroaches etc. Once sprayed leave without vacuuming for at least two
weeks to allow time for eggs to hatch and larvae to contact the insecticide.
Do this once every four weeks until you don't see anymore moths, you
should'nt need to do it more than twice. If after a couple of months you
still have a problem then call in a professional as the problem may lie
elsewhere - they can be associated with birds nests and some moths are pests
of stored products. If there was a problem with clothes or stored fabrics
then you would see adult moths in drawers,cupboards etc. If you are
interested do a web search for Tinea pellionella(case bearing clothes moth)
and Tineola bisselliella(common clothes moth).

"Paul Edwards" <pa...@praxis-cs.co.uk> wrote in message

nikkiba...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2012, 6:40:36 AM3/26/12
Hi - yes, you sound as if you have carpet moths. There is a great new site for moth prevention: http://www.mothprevention.com/ selling the UK's widest range for moth control and prevention, with lots of great advice too. They have recently started international shipping, so can help you anywhere in the word. Good luck!

Andy Burns

Mar 26, 2012, 6:54:48 AM3/26/12
nikkiba...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, 3 January 2001 Paul Edwards wrote:
>
>> I noticed quite a lot of tiny moth-like things flying around
>
> you sound as if you have carpet moths.

You don't think they'll have eaten all his carpets in 11 years then?

John Rumm

Mar 26, 2012, 6:57:57 AM3/26/12
On 26/03/2012 11:40, nikkiba...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, 3 January 2001 11:10:04 UTC, Paul Edwards wrote:

[snip]

> Hi - yes, you sound as if you have carpet moths. There is a great new site for moth prevention:
> http://www.iamspammingmyowncompany.com/ selling the UK's widest range....

Nice bit of timely advice there, only 11 years late!

--
Cheers,

John.

nikkiba...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2012, 7:14:38 AM3/26/12
I didn't look at the date. Why is it still up there if you are not looking for helpful replies? What I sent was completely relevant.

Andy Burns

Mar 26, 2012, 7:23:20 AM3/26/12
nikkiba...@gmail.com wrote:

> Why is it still up there if you are not looking for helpful replies?

When something is posted to USENET any news server can archive it for as
long as it sees fit, Google chooses to make it visible within their
"Groups" web pages, actually I thought they did prevent replies to very
old messages.

John Rumm

Mar 26, 2012, 7:28:44 AM3/26/12
On 26/03/2012 12:14, nikkiba...@gmail.com wrote:

> I didn't look at the date. Why is it still up there if you are not looking for helpful replies?

By "up there" I take it you mean google's archive of usenet? The answer
would be because its an archive of usenet dating right back to the early
years - nothing gets deleted, that is kind of the point of it.

However typical news servers and newsreader applications will expire
older articles within a few months typically, so posts such as your
appear as dangling replies not actually attached to any particular thread.

> What I sent was completely relevant.

Did not say it wasn't, and indeed our group FAQ (that acts in lieu of a
formal group charter), permits company representatives to post about
their product where it is specifically relevant to a question (although
cautions against attempting to disguise the fact that you are a company
representative)

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/about.html#can

Adrian Brentnall

Mar 26, 2012, 8:37:18 AM3/26/12
On 26/03/2012 12:14, nikkiba...@gmail.com wrote:
If there's one thing more amusing than ineptly amateurish spammers.....

"I found this great site" ....and all of that ilk

......it's when they then come back to justify their actions!

You always wonder if the companies that are paying these clueless people
to do this, realise what a negative impression it promotes ??

Adrian