How to make a slow drip?

Andrew Gabriel

Mar 25, 2012, 7:29:19 AM3/25/12
Background:
I've got some seedlings almost ready to plant out, but it's going to
be too dry. I have several empty 2l pepsi-max bottles, and I thought
about filling them, with a pin-prick in the bottom, and allowing them
to slowly drain. However, even with the thinnest pin and tiniest prick,
the water drains out too fast - would like it to last a few days.
Any ideas for using these bottles and getting a slower flow rate?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Paul - xxx

Mar 25, 2012, 7:32:34 AM3/25/12
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

> Background:
> I've got some seedlings almost ready to plant out, but it's going to
> be too dry. I have several empty 2l pepsi-max bottles, and I thought
> about filling them, with a pin-prick in the bottom, and allowing them
> to slowly drain. However, even with the thinnest pin and tiniest
> prick, the water drains out too fast - would like it to last a few
> days. Any ideas for using these bottles and getting a slower flow
> rate?

You might be better off with something flatter, like a large tray. I'd
guess the height of the water in a bottle creates an slight extra
pressure 'forcing' out the water through the hole .. a lower water
height wouldn't produce as high a pressure.

Just a thought ..

--
Paul - xxx
Mark cavendish Danny Hart

Lobster

Mar 25, 2012, 7:39:48 AM3/25/12
On 25/03/2012 12:32, Paul - xxx wrote:
> Andrew Gabriel wrote:
>
>> Background:
>> I've got some seedlings almost ready to plant out, but it's going to
>> be too dry. I have several empty 2l pepsi-max bottles, and I thought
>> about filling them, with a pin-prick in the bottom, and allowing them
>> to slowly drain. However, even with the thinnest pin and tiniest
>> prick, the water drains out too fast - would like it to last a few
>> days. Any ideas for using these bottles and getting a slower flow
>> rate?
>
> You might be better off with something flatter, like a large tray. I'd
> guess the height of the water in a bottle creates an slight extra
> pressure 'forcing' out the water through the hole .. a lower water
> height wouldn't produce as high a pressure.

That could be achieved by laying the pin-pricked bottle on its side
(would need to have the cap fitted and vacuum-releasing hole made in the
'upper' side of the recumbent bottle)

David

Andy Bartlett

Mar 25, 2012, 8:26:59 AM3/25/12

"Andrew Gabriel" <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
Sit the potted seedlings in a shallow tray/container. Fill 2l bottle(s) up
with water, invert and place in tray. Adjust bottle height wrt to tray to
adjust the water level you want. As the water in the tray gets absorbed by
the seedlings/evaporates then air is allowed into your bottles and water
comes out autofilling to your desired height. You could also fit a >6mm dia
plastic tube to the bottle outlet, suspend the bottle at a greater height
and adjust the other end of the tube dipped in the tray.

Dave Liquorice

Mar 25, 2012, 9:19:12 AM3/25/12
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:29:19 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

> However, even with the thinnest pin and tiniest prick, the water drains
> out too fast - would like it to last a few days. Any ideas for using
> these bottles and getting a slower flow rate?

Cap on or cap off? Presumably cap off. Put the cap on and adjust so
that air can only get in slowly, it might be a very fine
adjustment...

--
Cheers
Dave.

The Medway Handyman

Mar 25, 2012, 8:37:35 AM3/25/12
On 25/03/2012 12:29, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Sorry, thought the thread was about Dennis.

Dave Liquorice

Mar 25, 2012, 9:44:52 AM3/25/12
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 13:26:59 +0100, Andy Bartlett wrote:

> Sit the potted seedlings in a shallow tray/container. Fill 2l bottle(s)
> up with water, invert and place in tray. Adjust bottle height wrt to
> tray to adjust the water level you want. As the water in the tray gets
> absorbed by the seedlings/evaporates then air is allowed into your
> bottles and water comes out autofilling to your desired height.

AKA a "chicken waterer", much better than holes and air control of
some
sort.

http://www.fowlvisions.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/babbis-water-bot
tle-comple.jpg
http://www.waldeneffect.org/20090831water.jpg

Place the seedlings tray inside another waterproof one on top of a
mat of somesort (old towel?) dangle the end of the towel into a small
container that is topped up from the inverted drinks bottle. Water is
carried by capillary action to the seedling tray. Use a "sports cap"
on the bottle and position it just at the desired water level in the
small container. The caps of most water/softdrinks bottles are all
interchangeable.

--
Cheers
Dave.

ss

Mar 25, 2012, 8:58:15 AM3/25/12
Or a shallow tray of water just above the height of the seed tray and a
piece of linen from water to seed tray, may just slowly transfer to the
seed tray (dont know the correct terminology)

The Natural Philosopher

Mar 25, 2012, 9:23:47 AM3/25/12
to davi...@blueyonder.co.uk
The Medway Handyman wrote:
> On 25/03/2012 12:29, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
>
> Sorry, thought the thread was about Dennis.

He has already been constructed in an aberrant moment followed by 9
months of unskilled Labour.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

ARWadsworth

Mar 25, 2012, 10:32:48 AM3/25/12
The Medway Handyman wrote:
> On 25/03/2012 12:29, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
>
> Sorry, thought the thread was about Dennis.

Thats another keyboard you owe me.

--
Adam

Owain

Mar 25, 2012, 11:32:35 AM3/25/12
On Mar 25, 12:29 pm, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
> Background:
> I've got some seedlings almost ready to plant out, but it's going to
> be too dry. I have several empty 2l pepsi-max bottles, and I thought
> about filling them, with a pin-prick in the bottom, and allowing them
> to slowly drain. However, even with the thinnest pin and tiniest prick,
> the water drains out too fast - would like it to last a few days.
> Any ideas for using these bottles and getting a slower flow rate?

use a misting spray powered by a solenoid and activate every few
hours

controlled by a Raspberry Pi if your seedlings can wait that long...

Owain

dennis@home

Mar 25, 2012, 2:02:08 PM3/25/12

"Andrew Gabriel" <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Background:
> I've got some seedlings almost ready to plant out, but it's going to
> be too dry. I have several empty 2l pepsi-max bottles, and I thought
> about filling them, with a pin-prick in the bottom, and allowing them
> to slowly drain. However, even with the thinnest pin and tiniest prick,
> the water drains out too fast - would like it to last a few days.
> Any ideas for using these bottles and getting a slower flow rate?

Well its easy.
You need a bit of string/rag and no hole.
Put the string in the top and let it dangle down the side.
Capillary action will do the rest.

I see the usual clowns didn't help much.

Rod Speed

Mar 25, 2012, 2:25:21 PM3/25/12
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

> Background:
> I've got some seedlings almost ready to plant out, but it's going to
> be too dry. I have several empty 2l pepsi-max bottles, and I thought
> about filling them, with a pin-prick in the bottom, and allowing them
> to slowly drain. However, even with the thinnest pin and tiniest
> prick, the water drains out too fast - would like it to last a few days.

> Any ideas for using these bottles and getting a slower flow rate?

I'd try putting the screw cap back on and contolling the outflow that way.

Personally I use a solenoid and dripper.

Rod Speed

Mar 25, 2012, 3:02:46 PM3/25/12
ss wrote
> Dave Liquorice wrote
>> Andrew Gabriel wrote

>>> However, even with the thinnest pin and tiniest prick, the water
>>> drains out too fast - would like it to last a few days. Any ideas
>>> for using these bottles and getting a slower flow rate?

>> Cap on or cap off? Presumably cap off. Put the cap on and adjust so
>> that air can only get in slowly, it might be a very fine adjustment...

> Or a shallow tray of water just above the height of the seed tray and a piece of linen from water to seed tray, may
> just slowly transfer to the seed tray (dont know the correct terminology)

Wick.

Mate of mine has just tried that, its not too bad, but suffers from the
problem that you get quite a bit of evaporation from the feeder tray.

I prefer the inverted bootle myself.

Tho I much prefer a proper solenoid valve and dripper. Much more expensive tho.

Rod Speed

Mar 25, 2012, 3:24:28 PM3/25/12
Owain wrote
> and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote

>> Background:
>> I've got some seedlings almost ready to plant out, but it's going to
>> be too dry. I have several empty 2l pepsi-max bottles, and I thought
>> about filling them, with a pin-prick in the bottom, and allowing them
>> to slowly drain. However, even with the thinnest pin and tiniest
>> prick, the water drains out too fast - would like it to last a few days.
>> Any ideas for using these bottles and getting a slower flow rate?

> use a misting spray powered by a solenoid and activate every few hours

Drippers are better.

The misting spray works better for producing the seedlings from seed.

> controlled by a Raspberry Pi if your seedlings can wait that long...

Much cheaper to use just a simple digital timer.

McGyver

Mar 25, 2012, 3:32:22 PM3/25/12
on 3/25/2012, Andrew Gabriel supposed :
> Background:
> I've got some seedlings almost ready to plant out, but it's going to
> be too dry. I have several empty 2l pepsi-max bottles, and I thought
> about filling them, with a pin-prick in the bottom, and allowing them
> to slowly drain. However, even with the thinnest pin and tiniest prick,
> the water drains out too fast - would like it to last a few days.
> Any ideas for using these bottles and getting a slower flow rate?

Your method isn't working because you have an air leak around the lid.
Seal the lid and your method will be quite slow. Certainly more than a
few days per gallon.

McGyver

The Natural Philosopher

Mar 25, 2012, 7:15:44 PM3/25/12
and evaporation will ensure none of it reaches the plant pot.

> I see the usual clowns didn't help much.

And the usual clown has as usual rendered the usual non-answer.

dennis@home

Mar 26, 2012, 2:51:07 AM3/26/12

"The Natural Philosopher" <t...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> dennis@home wrote:
>>

>> "Andrew Gabriel" <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Background:
>>> I've got some seedlings almost ready to plant out, but it's going to
>>> be too dry. I have several empty 2l pepsi-max bottles, and I thought
>>> about filling them, with a pin-prick in the bottom, and allowing them
>>> to slowly drain. However, even with the thinnest pin and tiniest prick,
>>> the water drains out too fast - would like it to last a few days.
>>> Any ideas for using these bottles and getting a slower flow rate?
>>
>> Well its easy.
>> You need a bit of string/rag and no hole.
>> Put the string in the top and let it dangle down the side.
>> Capillary action will do the rest.
>>
> and evaporation will ensure none of it reaches the plant pot.

You have never done it then?

>> I see the usual clowns didn't help much.
>
> And the usual clown has as usual rendered the usual non-answer.

I didn't class you as *the* usual clown, just one of them.

Martin Brown

Mar 27, 2012, 2:39:30 AM3/27/12
On 25/03/2012 12:29, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> Background:
> I've got some seedlings almost ready to plant out, but it's going to
> be too dry. I have several empty 2l pepsi-max bottles, and I thought
> about filling them, with a pin-prick in the bottom, and allowing them
> to slowly drain. However, even with the thinnest pin and tiniest prick,
> the water drains out too fast - would like it to last a few days.
> Any ideas for using these bottles and getting a slower flow rate?

Drill a hole in the cap and insert a thin wall soft brass tube down to
the bottom and bend over in a U shape. Araldite or silicone to seal it.

3/4 fill the bottle with water, stand it upright and sleeve the lower
part with white paper and add black PVC tape to the top air space until
the right drips per day rate is obtained. Overnight when it cools the
pipe sucks air back into the bottle and the process begins again.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown