EER & EI(CO2)R ??

the_constructor

Apr 29, 2012, 9:57:46 AM4/29/12
A friend and I were discussing Energy Efficiency Rating and Enviromental
Impact (CO2) Rating as he is thinking of moving houuse. We have both seen
the results as shown on estate agents literature but doing various searches
on the web, we can not find out how these surveys are carried out, only that
CFL's, double glazed windows add to the scores.

Anyone got any concrete knowledge on the scoring system please.

Plenty of websites say that we can go on courses for X amount of £'s.

Kindest regards,

Jim G

Message has been deleted

Peter Parry

Apr 29, 2012, 10:26:52 AM4/29/12
On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 14:57:46 +0100, "the_constructor"
<the_con...@freeukisp.co.uk> wrote:

>We have both seen
>the results as shown on estate agents literature but doing various searches
>on the web, we can not find out how these surveys are carried out, only that
>CFL's, double glazed windows add to the scores.
>
>Anyone got any concrete knowledge on the scoring system please.

Guessology. A house I know has single thickness concrete walls
(1930's probably) and no more than 1inch of ratty fibreglass in the
loft with much missing. The roof was unlined so had a permanent gale
blowing through it. The "independent surveyor" took 20 minutes and
£90 to declare it had a cavity wall, modern insulation, low energy
lighting (there was none) and gave it a D rating.

harry

Apr 29, 2012, 10:27:46 AM4/29/12
Message has been deleted

Muddymike

Apr 29, 2012, 11:45:55 AM4/29/12
A friend and I were discussing Energy Efficiency Rating and Enviromental
>Impact (CO2) Rating as he is thinking of moving house. We have both seen
>the results as shown on estate agents literature but doing various searches
>on the web, we can not find out how these surveys are carried out, only
>that CFL's, double glazed windows add to the scores.
>
>Anyone got any concrete knowledge on the scoring system please.
>
>Plenty of websites say that we can go on courses for X amount of £'s.

I had to have one done on the holiday apartment we let. Absolute waste of
money, and the local authority agree it is!
The guy admitted he could only judge by what he could see and he can't see
the insulation in the cavity or floor! As the boiler is in the main house he
didn't look at that either!

Mike

The Natural Philosopher

Apr 29, 2012, 12:04:58 PM4/29/12
Huge wrote:
> On 2012-04-29, the_constructor <the_con...@freeukisp.co.uk> wrote:
>> A friend and I were discussing Energy Efficiency Rating and Enviromental
>> Impact (CO2) Rating as he is thinking of moving houuse. We have both seen
>> the results as shown on estate agents literature but doing various searches
>> on the web, we can not find out how these surveys are carried out, only that
>> CFL's, double glazed windows add to the scores.
>>
>> Anyone got any concrete knowledge on the scoring system please.
>
> It's all bullshit and handwaving.

+1

>> Plenty of websites say that we can go on courses for X amount of £'s.
>
> Because that's where the money is ...

+2

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Tony Bryer

Apr 29, 2012, 6:07:04 PM4/29/12
On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 14:57:46 +0100 The_constructor wrote :
> A friend and I were discussing Energy Efficiency Rating and Enviromental
> Impact (CO2) Rating as he is thinking of moving houuse. We have both seen
> the results as shown on estate agents literature but doing various searches
> on the web, we can not find out how these surveys are carried out, only that
> CFL's, double glazed windows add to the scores.
>
> Anyone got any concrete knowledge on the scoring system please.

The calculation methodology is called RDSAP (Google will tell you more) -
reduced data standard assessment procedure. SAP is the full calculation, used
for new homes where you have all the data available.

The rating is a function of the estimated CO2 output per year arising from
energy used for heating, hot water and lighting. The basic calc starts with
the fabric loss and assumed ventilation losses; hot water usage is a function
of floor area. There are all sorts of interplays within the calculation:
larger windows will increase the heat loss, but also increase solar gains
(particularly if south facing) and reduce the need for lighting. A larger hot
water cylinder loses more heat, but some of this heat useful heat and so on.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Andrew Gabriel

Apr 30, 2012, 4:12:04 AM4/30/12
In article <39-dnQRjq9JS1QDS...@brightview.co.uk>,
"the_constructor" <the_con...@freeukisp.co.uk> writes:
> A friend and I were discussing Energy Efficiency Rating and Enviromental
> Impact (CO2) Rating as he is thinking of moving houuse. We have both seen
> the results as shown on estate agents literature but doing various searches
> on the web, we can not find out how these surveys are carried out, only that
> CFL's, double glazed windows add to the scores.

Like others said, it's a complete waste of time.

It has turned out to be a job creation scheme for the unemployed.
The people who came forward to take part had no knowledge of the
Constrution industry and no knowledge of physics, and the procedure
and exams had to be dummed down to well below the point of being
completely useless, just to get enough accessors through the courses.

> Anyone got any concrete knowledge on the scoring system please.
>
> Plenty of websites say that we can go on courses for X amount of £'s.

It's a way of taxing you to take some folks off the unemployment
register, and to make money for those who provide the courses.
The results produced are not worth the paper they're written on,
and everyone in the industry knows this. When they're not even
allowed to look into the loft to see if it's insulated (the case
with someone in the family who had one done), that surely tells
you what a complete waste of money and effort this is.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andy Burns

Apr 30, 2012, 4:38:07 AM4/30/12
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

> Like others said, it's a complete waste of time.
> It's a way of taxing you to take some folks off the unemployment
> register

I looked at a few online for my neighbours and parents' neighbours, the
EPCs don't differentiate between condensing/non-condensing boilers, they
make assumptions about presence/absence of underslab insulation, if
they're not allowed to look in the loft, presumably if they can't see
any "plugs" they assume no cavity wall insulation too?

Since they're crap, you may as well just spend the least possible £35 on
one!