OT: fox cr*pping in the garden

mike

May 30, 2008, 6:42:29 PM5/30/08
The local urban fox seems to have decided to use our lawn as its
latrine.

It voided its bowels on a tarp I left out a while ago.

Last week I accidentally mowed over one of its stinking expulsions and
yesterday -- the coup de grace -- I stepped in its latest reeking
deposit.

Much as I like wildlife, is there any way to dissuade it from leaving
me any more unwanted gifts?

This is a genuine request for advice and not a sordid attempt to lower
the tone of the newsgroup.

Lobster

May 31, 2008, 3:51:18 AM5/31/08
mike wrote:

> Much as I like wildlife, is there any way to dissuade it from leaving
> me any more unwanted gifts?

It's been discussed here a number of times - try googling this ng - ISTR
the answer was to treat your boundaries with Renardine, human urine or
tiger pooh from your local zoo...

David

The Medway Handyman

May 31, 2008, 4:10:57 AM5/31/08

mike wrote:

> This is a genuine request for advice and not a sordid attempt to lower
> the tone of the newsgroup.

We quite like lowering the tone :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Rod

May 31, 2008, 4:19:11 AM5/31/08
The Medway Handyman wrote:
> mike wrote:
>
>> This is a genuine request for advice and not a sordid attempt to lower
>> the tone of the newsgroup.
>
> We quite like lowering the tone :-)

After a while, it gets low enough to be an unidentifiable hum...... :-)

--
Rod

onset.
<www.thyromind.info> <www.thyroiduk.org> <www.altsupportthyroid.org>

mike

May 31, 2008, 4:37:58 AM5/31/08
On May 31, 8:51 am, Lobster <davidlobsterpot...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> It's been discussed here a number of times - try googling this ng - Renardine, human urine or

> tiger pooh from your local zoo...

Thanks for the heads-up. It seems Renardine has been banned but there
are various citronella alternatives.

I just don't want anything that stops the cat using the garden as its
toilet. I've already had sound advice from the group about removing
cat pee smells from the hall carpet.....

Lobster

May 31, 2008, 6:52:45 AM5/31/08

Sounds like your tack should defintely be along the lines of treating
the boundaries of your property to dissuade fox ingress, rather than
fox-proofing the entire area of the property: I imagine most anti-fox
agents will be anti-moggy too!

David

Andy Dingley

May 31, 2008, 6:51:06 AM5/31/08
On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:42:29 -0700 (PDT), mike <mike...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Much as I like wildlife, is there any way to dissuade it from leaving
>me any more unwanted gifts?

Set up a webcam to watch it. That always makes them vanish.

Mary Fisher

May 31, 2008, 9:37:12 AM5/31/08

"mike" <mike...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

On May 31, 8:51 am, Lobster <davidlobsterpot...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> It's been discussed here a number of times - try googling this ng -
> Renardine, human urine or
> tiger pooh from your local zoo...

> Thanks for the heads-up. It seems Renardine has been banned

?

First I've heard of that. I've got some, I'll do you a deal :-)

Mary

Mary Fisher

May 31, 2008, 9:37:45 AM5/31/08

"Rod" <poly...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> The Medway Handyman wrote:
>> mike wrote:
>>
>>> This is a genuine request for advice and not a sordid attempt to lower
>>> the tone of the newsgroup.
>>
>> We quite like lowering the tone :-)
>>

> After a while, it gets low enough to be an unidentifiable hum...... :-)

LOL!!!

Mary

unop...@mail.com

May 31, 2008, 1:51:17 PM5/31/08
On 31 May, 14:37, "Mary Fisher" <mary.fis...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> "mike" <miken...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

You're memory may be at fault, Mary, as I'm sure you've complied with
the legal requirement to dispose of it before now...

<URL:http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/approvals.asp?id=1567>

Regards,

Sid

Andy Dingley

May 31, 2008, 2:16:40 PM5/31/08
On Sat, 31 May 2008 10:51:17 -0700 (PDT), unop...@mail.com wrote:

>You're memory may be at fault, Mary, as I'm sure you've complied with
>the legal requirement to dispose of it before now...
>
><URL:http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/approvals.asp?id=1567>

What was the problem with this? AFAIR Renardine was just bone oil
(pyrrols) and had been used as a deterrent since the Victorians. Did
the approval just expire, or was anything actually found to be hazardous
about it?

Mary Fisher

May 31, 2008, 2:28:02 PM5/31/08

<unop...@mail.com> wrote in message

I haven't.

> <URL:http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/approvals.asp?id=1567>

Renardine isn't a pesticide, it doesn't kill fox.It's a deterrent.

Well, that was the claim ... I aver that it didn't kill fox and nor did it
deter them for long.

Mary

RW

May 31, 2008, 3:48:15 PM5/31/08

"mike" <mike...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Serious problem solver for Foxes is.....

Diesel.

Soak a rag with ordinary diesel.
Drag it around the perimeter of your garden, replenishing the rag as
required with more diesel.
Ensure it don't get too close to wanted fauna and flora.
Every time the fox gets near it they usually turn away.

If it's a persistent fox then repeat on each high point or unusual area (As
in not your normal garden....Like your tarp) and it *will* work

Works every time.

ARWadworth

May 31, 2008, 4:47:08 PM5/31/08

"Andy Dingley" <din...@codesmiths.com> wrote in message

That should do the trick.

Adam

unop...@mail.com

May 31, 2008, 8:09:08 PM5/31/08
On 31 May, 19:28, "Mary Fisher" <mary.fis...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> <unope...@mail.com> wrote in message

Well, Renardine is made up from bone oil, which contains a fair amount
of pyrroles (ring compounds where four of the members of the ring are
carbon atoms, and the fifth is nitrogen). The Material Safety Data
Sheet (MSDS) for pyrrole (the simplest member of the group of pyrroles
- all others having some other organic group substituting one or more
of the hydrogen atoms attached to the pyrrole ring) is available here:

<URL:http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/PY/pyrrole.html>

the key phrases are " Harmful by inhalation, ingestion or skin
absorption. Ingestion may be fatal. Long-term exposure may cause liver
damage.", so it's not stuff you want to be chucking around your
vegetable patch (or anywhere else for that matter).

That said, it looks like the reason it's not approved is that the
manufacturer wasn't able to provide a sufficiently tight specification
of the make up of bone oil for a risk assessment to be made (which is
hardly surprising, given how it is manufactured) - see page 49 here:
<URL:http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/uploadedfiles/Web_Assets/ACP/
ACP_annrep_2001.pdf>.

Incidentally, if you have an arsenic atom in the ring instead of a
nitrogen atom, the family of compound are known as arsoles. That's
chemists' humour for you.

Cheers,

Sid