Wiki: Chrome

NT

Feb 24, 2012, 10:14:03 AM2/24/12
Any more suggestions welcome

NT

There are 3 varieties of chrome plate:
* chrome plated plastic - prone to peeling off
* chrome plated steel - prone to rusting & peeling in bathrooms etc
* chrome plated brass - long term durable

==Soldering==
Chrome is not solderable. When soldering chrome plated pipe, scrape
the chrome off where necessary.

==Cleaning==
A cloth, cream cleaner & hot water remove dirt, a plastic scourer
removes limescale. Avoid steel scourers, these are harder than the
chrome. Avoid acids.

==See Also==
* [[Special:Allpages|Wiki Article Index]]
* [[Special:Categories|Wiki Subject Categories]]

[[Category:Bathrooms]]
[[Category:Cleaning]]
[[Category:Plumbing]]
[[Category:Metal]]

Nightjar

Feb 24, 2012, 12:46:38 PM2/24/12
On 24/02/2012 15:14, NT wrote:
> Any more suggestions welcome
>
> NT
>

> There are 3 varieties of chrome plate:
> * chrome plated plastic - prone to peeling off
> * chrome plated steel - prone to rusting& peeling in bathrooms etc
> * chrome plated brass - long term durable

Chromium plating is not limited to those substrates: stainless steel,
zinc alloy (mazak) castings, brass, copper and steel are all possible
and there may be others I don't know about. Plastic is slightly
different, as that is vacuum deposited, rather than electroplated. There
is also hard chromium plating, which is applied as a wearing surface to
things like plastic injection moulds.

The following applies to electroplating for decorative or corrosion
protection:

The finish may be mirror finish, bright, dull, satin, pearl or black.

The durability does not depend upon the substrate, but upon the
specifications of the plating.

Electro-plating for corrosion protection is the subject of BS EN 12540:
2000, which specifies four different service conditions:

1 - Indoors in warm, dry conditions
2 - Indoors where condensation may occur
3 - Service outdoors in temperate conditions
4 - Service outdoors in severe corrosive conditions. e.g. a marine
environment.

So, although a service condition 1 plated article may well be prone to
rusting or peeling in a bathroom, one plated to service condition 4
would not.

Colin Bignell

John Rumm

Feb 24, 2012, 12:53:20 PM2/24/12
On 24/02/2012 15:14, NT wrote:
> Any more suggestions welcome

There seems to be more titles, links and other stuff than actual content!

> There are 3 varieties of chrome plate:
> * chrome plated plastic - prone to peeling off
> * chrome plated steel - prone to rusting& peeling in bathrooms etc
> * chrome plated brass - long term durable

What about chromed copper pipe?

--
Cheers,

John.

NT

Feb 24, 2012, 1:42:54 PM2/24/12
On Feb 24, 5:46 pm, Nightjar <c...@insert.my.surname.here.me.uk>
wrote:
Are you ok with me or you putting all that into the article? You
clearly know more about it than I do!

NT

Adrian C

Feb 24, 2012, 2:04:42 PM2/24/12
On 24/02/2012 15:14, NT wrote:
> Any more suggestions welcome
>
> NT

Avoiding Hexavalent chromium poisoning during welding of chrome alloys?

--
Adrian C

John Rumm

Feb 24, 2012, 2:16:53 PM2/24/12
On 24/02/2012 17:46, Nightjar wrote:

> Electro-plating for corrosion protection is the subject of BS EN 12540:2000

Now there is a spectacularly dull document ;-)

(superseded by BS EN ISO 1456:2009 apparently)

Nightjar

Feb 24, 2012, 2:22:33 PM2/24/12
On 24/02/2012 19:16, John Rumm wrote:
> On 24/02/2012 17:46, Nightjar wrote:
>
>> Electro-plating for corrosion protection is the subject of BS EN
>> 12540:2000
>
> Now there is a spectacularly dull document ;-)
>
> (superseded by BS EN ISO 1456:2009 apparently)

Thank you for the correction. I haven't had to have anything chromium
plated since 2005, so I've not been keeping up to date.

Colin Bignell

Nightjar

Feb 24, 2012, 2:27:20 PM2/24/12
I used to have to specify chromium plating for things we made. Use as
much or as little as you want, although see John's post for a more up to
date British Standard number.

Colin Bignell

NT

Feb 24, 2012, 3:02:48 PM2/24/12
Please tell us :) I certainly dont know.

NT

NT

Feb 24, 2012, 3:12:56 PM2/24/12
On Feb 24, 3:14 pm, NT <meow2...@care2.com> wrote:
> Any more suggestions welcome
>
> NT

If I may quote John too, we will have a total rewrite so far:

NT

Chrome

This article is about chrome electroplating for decorative or
corrosion protection. There is also hard chromium plating, which is
applied as a wearing surface to things like plastic injection moulds.

Chrome plate comes in several finishes: mirror finish, bright, dull,
satin, pearl or black.

Substrates used are: steel, brass, stainless steel, zinc alloy (mazak)
castings, brass, copper and steel are all possible and there may be
others I don't know about. Plastic is slightly different, as that is
vacuum deposited, rather than electroplated.

==Durability==
[...]

==Standards==
Electro-plating for corrosion protection is the subject of BS EN
12540:2000. Now there is a spectacularly dull document ;-). It was
superseded by BS EN ISO 1456:2009 apparently.

John Rumm

Feb 24, 2012, 7:47:38 PM2/24/12
Aside from being a few pages longer, its equally content free!

Adrian C

Feb 25, 2012, 5:04:39 AM2/25/12
Nor do I (yet). That was me nonchalantly googling Chromium and Julia
Roberts. Should have stuck to just googling at Julia Roberts. ;-)

So some links ...

Chromium is found in various forms and compounds, some beneficial to
health and some not.

http://www.water.org.uk/static/files_archive/1Chromium_-_Water_UK.pdf

Hexavalent Chromium's use as a rust treatment, famously caused this
incident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_groundwater_contamination

Hexavalent Chromium is a carcinogen a hazard to those working stainless
steel,

http://www.weldreality.com/Safety%20stainless%20issues.htm

and as an additive in Cement also causes skin dermatitis.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/cis26.pdf

General H&S advice on handling Chromium compounds

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg346.pdf

And where to buy to swallow, as some forms are also good for ya....

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/categories.asp?cid=11

--
Adrian C

Halmyre

Feb 25, 2012, 5:38:44 AM2/25/12
On Feb 25, 10:04 am, Adrian C <em...@here.invalid> wrote:
> On 24/02/2012 20:02, NT wrote:

> >> Avoiding Hexavalent chromium poisoning during welding of chrome alloys?
>
> > Please tell us :) I certainly dont know.
>
> Nor do I (yet). That was me nonchalantly googling Chromium and Julia
> Roberts. Should have stuck to just googling at Julia Roberts. ;-)
>
> So some links ...

I'm confused, is Julia Roberts interchangeable with Chromium?

Julia Roberts is found in various forms and compounds, some beneficial
Hexavalent Julia Roberts's use as a rust treatment, famously caused
this
incident.

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_groundwater_contamination

Hexavalent Julia Roberts is a carcinogen a hazard to those working
stainless
steel,

http://www.weldreality.com/Safety%20stainless%20issues.htm

General H&S advice on handling Julia Roberts

 http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg346.pdf

--
Halmyre

Jim K

Feb 25, 2012, 7:16:16 AM2/25/12
On Feb 24, 7:22 pm, Nightjar <c...@insert.my.surname.here.me.uk>
wrote:
now he tells us.....

;>)
Jim K

Andrew Gabriel

Feb 26, 2012, 4:17:01 PM2/26/12
In article <11b94176-dc90-4252...@t5g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
NT <meow...@care2.com> writes:
> ==Soldering==
> Chrome is not solderable. When soldering chrome plated pipe, scrape
> the chrome off where necessary.

Any tips on how to? Took me ages.

Also it's unsuitable for pushfit connections - too hard for the
gripping teeth to grip reliably, which can result in the fitting
being pushed off under pressure sometime later.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Nightjar

Feb 26, 2012, 7:52:55 PM2/26/12
On 26/02/2012 21:17, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> In article<11b94176-dc90-4252...@t5g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
> NT<meow...@care2.com> writes:
>> ==Soldering==
>> Chrome is not solderable. When soldering chrome plated pipe, scrape
>> the chrome off where necessary.
>
> Any tips on how to? Took me ages.

Heat with a blow lamp and plunge into hydrochloric acid. That will strip
it back to the base metal fairly rapidly. It is, obviously, a somewhat
hazardous process, so wear suitable protective equipment while doing so
and it is not a method I would include in the Wiki.

Colin Bignell

Adam Aglionby

Feb 26, 2012, 9:17:51 PM2/26/12
On Feb 24, 3:14 pm, NT <meow2...@care2.com> wrote:
Triple plated chrome as used on to alloys with varying success...

is copper electroplate, followed by nickel silver followed by chrome.

someat to do with electrolytic effects think?

Varying success means some bases look ok and then flake and peel.

Home chroming , despite what some websites will try and sell you , is
not a viable excercise.

Cheers
Adam

John Rumm

Feb 26, 2012, 11:22:55 PM2/26/12
On 27/02/2012 00:52, Nightjar wrote:
> On 26/02/2012 21:17, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
>> In
>> article<11b94176-dc90-4252...@t5g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> NT<meow...@care2.com> writes:
>>> ==Soldering==
>>> Chrome is not solderable. When soldering chrome plated pipe, scrape
>>> the chrome off where necessary.
>>
>> Any tips on how to? Took me ages.
>
> Heat with a blow lamp and plunge into hydrochloric acid. That will strip

How concentrated out of interest? Would brick acid do it? Patio cleaner?

> it back to the base metal fairly rapidly. It is, obviously, a somewhat
> hazardous process, so wear suitable protective equipment while doing so
> and it is not a method I would include in the Wiki.

Yup, probably wise not to ;-)

Nightjar

Feb 27, 2012, 8:51:39 AM2/27/12
On 27/02/2012 04:22, John Rumm wrote:
> On 27/02/2012 00:52, Nightjar wrote:
>> On 26/02/2012 21:17, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
>>> In
>>> article<11b94176-dc90-4252...@t5g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,

>>> Any tips on how to? Took me ages.
>>
>> Heat with a blow lamp and plunge into hydrochloric acid. That will strip
>
> How concentrated out of interest? Would brick acid do it? Patio cleaner?

I always had 36% HCL to hand, as we used that in the flux we made for
soldering stainless steel - half Baker's fluid No 1, one quarter 36% HCL
and one quarter water. I never tested it at lower concentrations,
although the flux would also strip chrome if you were not careful where
it went.

Colin Bignell

Nightjar

Feb 27, 2012, 8:56:27 AM2/27/12
On 27/02/2012 02:17, Adam Aglionby wrote:
> Triple plated chrome as used on to alloys with varying success...
>
> is copper electroplate, followed by nickel silver followed by chrome.
>
> someat to do with electrolytic effects think?

It is about adhesion. Copper will plate well onto many things. Nickel
will plate well onto copper. Chrome will plate well onto nickel. A
nickel undercoat (or up to three depending upon specification) also
gives a white metal under the chrome, which improves the looks.

Colin Bignell

Andrew May

Feb 27, 2012, 9:10:20 AM2/27/12
On 26/02/2012 21:17, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> In article<11b94176-dc90-4252...@t5g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
> NT<meow...@care2.com> writes:
>> ==Soldering==
>> Chrome is not solderable. When soldering chrome plated pipe, scrape
>> the chrome off where necessary.
>
> Any tips on how to? Took me ages.
>
> Also it's unsuitable for pushfit connections - too hard for the
> gripping teeth to grip reliably, which can result in the fitting
> being pushed off under pressure sometime later.

I've had success grinding it off by gently rotating the pipe against a
grinding wheel, or ideally something like a Tormek water-cooled wheel to
get a better finish. Carfeul though that you only take the chrome of and
don't start to grind down the copper as well.

John Rumm

Feb 27, 2012, 9:34:48 AM2/27/12
On 27/02/2012 13:51, Nightjar wrote:
> On 27/02/2012 04:22, John Rumm wrote:

>>> Heat with a blow lamp and plunge into hydrochloric acid. That will strip
>>
>> How concentrated out of interest? Would brick acid do it? Patio cleaner?
>
> I always had 36% HCL to hand, as we used that in the flux we made for
> soldering stainless steel - half Baker's fluid No 1, one quarter 36% HCL
> and one quarter water.

That sounds like what one might term and "aggressive" flux ;-)