Broken heatsink mounting: help!

Chris Holford

Jul 15, 2003, 10:11:35 AM7/15/03
Board is an Abit SA7. The heatsink is clamped onto a black plastic
moulding which appears to be screwed onto the motherboard and surrounds
the CPU socket. On of the 'legs' which sticks up from this has broken.
As a result one end of the heatsink cannot be tightly clamped to the
CPU. I've used a cable tie as a temporary bodge.

Can you get the proper fixture as a spare part? -if so. any idea where?
Any other suggestions?

(I built the computer for a friend; everything was O.K. when I handed it
over )

Thanks for any ideas.
--
Chris Holford

Piercarlo Grandi

Jul 16, 2003, 6:53:48 PM7/16/03
>>> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:11:35 +0100, Chris Holford
>>> <ch...@brownswell.demon.co.uk> said:

cholf> Board is an Abit SA7. The heatsink is clamped onto a black
cholf> plastic moulding which appears to be screwed onto the motherboard
cholf> and surrounds the CPU socket. On of the 'legs' which sticks up
cholf> from this has broken.

Ahh, the heatsink retaining clip is broken. That's bad news because it's
very difficult to gind them.

cholf> As a result one end of the heatsink cannot be tightly clamped to
cholf> the CPU. I've used a cable tie as a temporary bodge.

That's bad news, because heatsinks should be mounted with a lot of
pressure...

cholf> Can you get the proper fixture as a spare part? -if so. any idea
cholf> where?

Uhm, I just ordered by mistake (their description was quite misleading)
some socket 478 retaining brackets, and you are lucky, because as said
above they are very difficult to find...

These guys are selling them for about £1.50 each. Almost surely they
will fit your motherboard, and at that price it's worth trying:

http://www.lpl-online.co.uk/en-gb/dept_65.html

It is item FAN-09ADP, which they misdescribe as "Socket P4 423 - 478
Adaptor".

Piercarlo Grandi

Jul 17, 2003, 9:02:38 AM7/17/03
>>> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:53:48 +0100, pg...@sabi.Clara.co.UK
>>> (Piercarlo Grandi) said:

cholf> Board is an Abit SA7. The heatsink is clamped onto a black
cholf> plastic moulding which appears to be screwed onto the motherboard
cholf> and surrounds the CPU socket. On of the 'legs' which sticks up
cholf> from this has broken.

[ ... ]

cholf> Can you get the proper fixture as a spare part? -if so. any idea
cholf> where?

pg_nh> Uhm, I just ordered by mistake (their description was quite
pg_nh> misleading) some socket 478 retaining brackets, and you are
pg_nh> lucky, because as said above they are very difficult to find...

pg_nh> These guys are selling them for about £1.50 each. Almost surely they
pg_nh> will fit your motherboard, and at that price it's worth trying:

pg_nh> http://www.lpl-online.co.uk/en-gb/dept_65.html

pg_nh> It is item FAN-09ADP, which they misdescribe as "Socket P4 423 -
pg_nh> 478 Adaptor".

OK, just to be clear: it is actually a Socket 428 adaptor for socket 423
heatsinks (the other way round). It's a set of plastic bits that mount
into a socket 428 motherboard and allow it to host a socket 423 heatsink.

Now, this is rather pointless because socket 478 heatsinks are easy to
find and cheap; what would I thought it was was the opposite, the bits
that allow a socket 478 heatsink to be fit into a socket 423 motherboard,
as it is rather hard to find either socket 423 heatsinks, or the bits to
mount them on a socket 423 motherboard.

Chris Holford

Jul 25, 2003, 2:37:46 PM7/25/03
In article <yf34r1l...@leaf.home.sabi.co.UK>, Piercarlo Grandi
<pg...@sabi.Clara.co.UK> writes

>cholf> Board is an Abit SA7. The heatsink is clamped onto a black
>cholf> plastic moulding which appears to be screwed onto the motherboard
>cholf> and surrounds the CPU socket. On of the 'legs' which sticks up
>cholf> from this has broken.
snip

>pg_nh> These guys are selling them for about £1.50 each. Almost surely they
>pg_nh> will fit your motherboard, and at that price it's worth trying:
Many thanks for help; the item arrived yesterday.
--
Chris Holford