Subject and sentiment mapping at conferences and workshops

alexcoley

Mar 16, 2010, 9:57:45 AM3/16/10
to UK Government Data Developers
I've been to quite a few conferences recently and enjoyed using
Twitter to enhance my experience.

As a medium and a platform Twitter is uniquely suited to conference
coverage. I've personally found it fantastic for navigating what's hot
at mass meetings, for over hearing what is going on in parallel
sessions and for interacting and contributing with other attendees.

But surely that data (the tweets themselves) have a use after the
conference?

- Who said what and when?
- What were the most talked about topics?
- Which sessions had the biggest buzz?

Please explore this example from the National Digital Inclusion
conference 2010. I have used TwapperKeeper to create an RSS archive of
tweet data (on the #NDI10 hashtag) which I then exported to a .tar
file (beta pilot) and from there into a spreadsheet
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-government-data-developers/web/NDI10_archive.xls?hl=en-GB

I wondered if a flash based tool could be used to map sentiment by
session/topic by giving positive/negative meanings to words and
applying this to tweet traffic. Perhaps some real meaning and value
could come out of conferences that anyone can access and use. Could we
provide something beyond the press releases and corporate web channels
that focus on raising profile more than solving problems?

Please do give feedback on this idea.

Thanks,

Alex

p.s. I also blogged about this here: http://www.alexcoley.co.uk/blog/200/after-the-conference/

Ewan McIntosh

Mar 16, 2010, 10:06:25 AM3/16/10
to uk-government-...@googlegroups.com
This kind of sentiment detection worked really well for 4iP-supported Festbuzz (http://www.festbuzz.com) during the Edinburgh Festivals. The team behind it produce similar systems for other festivals, conference clients etc...

Ewan

--------------------------
Ewan McIntosh

NoTosh Limited
digital media  |  education
27 Lauriston Street, Edinburgh,
EH3 9DQ. United Kingdom.

m: 00 44 (0)791 992 1830

This email and any files transmitted are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify ew...@notosh.com

NoTosh Limited (Company No. SC370379), incorporated in Scotland has its registered office at 27 Lauriston Street, Edinburgh EH3 9DQ UK.

Christopher Gutteridge

Mar 16, 2010, 10:05:39 AM3/16/10
to uk-government-...@googlegroups.com, Dave Challis, Mark Borkum
Related work on twitter analysis:
Shredded Tweet: http://pegasus.chem.soton.ac.uk/search?q=%23dev8d (Mark
Borkum)

& using twitter to monitor changes in a community over the course of an
event (Dave Challis)
http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/webteam/2010/03/04/dev8d-twitter-network-part-2/

--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/people/cjg

Lead Developer, EPrints Project, http://eprints.org/

Web Projects Manager, School of Electronics and Computer Science,
University of Southampton.

Andy Turner

Mar 16, 2010, 11:20:34 AM3/16/10
to uk-government-...@googlegroups.com
Twitter is clearly one of the more popular Microblogging services, but OpenMicroblogging is the way forward IMHO.

Best wishes,

Andy

Andy Powell

Mar 16, 2010, 11:29:31 AM3/16/10
to uk-government-...@googlegroups.com
Not quite what you are looking for, and it's very primitive in comparison to the kind of analysis you suggest, but you can see a summary of the #NDI10 tweets at:

http://andypowe11.net/summarizr/?tkhashtag=NDI10

(In theory this will work for any TwapperKeeper archive but I haven't made any attempt to test it properly).

Andy

--
Andy Powell
Research Programme Director

www.eduserv.org.uk

alexcoley

Mar 16, 2010, 3:35:48 PM3/16/10
to UK Government Data Developers
Cheers Andy. It's a damn good start.

I really like it!

Do you have any plans to develop it further?

Alex

Martin Nolan

Mar 16, 2010, 4:07:26 PM3/16/10
to uk-government-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We've created a couple of website's (and have the rest of the city domains
registered - I know my fingers hurt now). We are looking at ways of
incorporating or expanding the power/use of these websites to the general
public by incorporating government (and any other) useful information.

http://www.oxford-city-guide.co.uk/
http://www.manchester-city-guide.co.uk/

As an example we would like to enhance
http://www.oxford-city-guide.co.uk/schools/1/primary/-/-/-/schools-in-the-ox
ford-area.html in order to link out to the primary school sats, secondary
school average grades and so on.

I would very much welcome any ideas, links to data sources or help in making
these sites become a really powerful resource.

Regards

Martin

Martin Nolan | Managing Director | Crash Media Group Ltd
Registered in England & Wales No - 3729433

Tel: 0870 350 5044
Fax: 0870 350 5088
Mob: 0771 1049400

Ade Stevenson

Mar 17, 2010, 5:19:46 AM3/17/10
to UK Government Data Developers
Hi Andy

Looks really good.

Are the figures after the names the total number of tweets, or am I
being dim (e.g. in top 10 tweeters)? If so, on a test on
http://andypowe11.net/summarizr/?tkhashtag=terrafuture I'm not sure
the figures are coming out right, as I def tweeted more than 4 times.
Does look really good though, and presume that'sa minor blip.

Ade
__________________________________
Adrian Stevenson
UKOLN Research and Development Team
University of Bath
Bath
BA2 7AY
UK

Tel: +44 (0) 161 445 4934
Email: a.ste...@ukoln.ac.uk
http://www.twitter.com/adrianstevenson
WWW: http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/

Richard Wallis

Mar 17, 2010, 6:00:21 AM3/17/10
to uk-government-...@googlegroups.com
With reference to schools, check out what Stuart Harrison has been up to at Lichfield District Council: http://blogs.talis.com/nodalities/2009/11/stuart-harrison-talks-with-talis-about-lichfield-and-public-data.php

~Richard.
Richard Wallis
Technology Evangelist, Talis
Tel: +44 (0)870 400 5422 (Direct)
Tel: +44 (0)870 400 5000 (Switchboard)
Tel: +44 (0)7767 886 005 (Mobile)

Skype: richard.wallis1

Find out more about Talis at http://www.talis.com/
shared innovation™

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis Information Ltd or its employees. The content of this email message and any files that may be attached are confidential, and for the usage of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then please return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an unauthorised recipient is prohibited.

Talis Information Ltd is a member of the Talis Group of companies and is registered in England No 3638278 with its registered office at Knights Court, Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YB.