Re: Tech Support (Anthony Edmistone)

Anthony

Sep 13, 2010, 12:06:21 PM9/13/10
to ubun...@lists.ubuntu.com
I'm not entirely sure what Ian Fleming is trying to do.  However I do understand the issue with trying to wade through the mailing list submissions from Ubuntu-au and I'm wondering why this mail list subscription cannot be switched over to a NNTP or Newsgroup server?

The advantages are that when people respond to a question, it places the answers under the original question indented to the right so anyone can see it's a response to the first post.  It's also a alot easier to search for key words in a newsgroup then the mailing list.  And control of who has access to the newsgroup and who does not would be much easier.

I've submitted a screen-dump to illustrate what I'm trying to point out.

Anyone think this would be worth looking into?

Anthony

Newsgroups.png

Ubuntu Lists

Sep 19, 2010, 1:53:22 PM9/19/10
to ubun...@lists.ubuntu.com
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 02:06:21 +1000
Anthony <i.lurv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not entirely sure what /Ian Fleming/ is trying to do.

One Ian Fleming wrote boy-toy stories, aka James Bond 007

> However I
> do understand the issue with trying to wade through the mailing list

from what I receive, this mailing list is /very/ low volume. Are you
saying you receive lots of emails per day from this mailing list?

<snip>

> subscription cannot be switched over to a NNTP or Newsgroup server?
>
> The advantages are that when people respond to a question, it places
> the answers under the original question indented to the right so
> anyone can see it's a response to the first post. It's also a alot

good mail clients can categorise and thread very well

> easier to search for key words in a newsgroup then the mailing list.

I'd say search functions are roughly equal between news readers and
mail clients

> And control of who has access to the newsgroup and who does not would
> be much easier.

in un-moderated newsgroups such as a.o.l.u. (depicted in your
screen-shot) there is no control over who posts to or who reads articles
other than access limitations. mailing lists have an email subscription
and confirmation process (whether functional or not) and therefore at
least the conceptual ability to control the flow of mail and access.

So, how is control easier in a newsgroup, keeping in mind that moderated
newsgroups are effectively censored and the spirit of OSS is, well,
freedom?

> I've submitted a screen-dump to illustrate what I'm trying to point
> out.
>
> Anyone think this would be worth looking into?

no

> Anthony

Paul Gear

Sep 20, 2010, 12:00:23 AM9/20/10
to ubun...@lists.ubuntu.com
On 14/09/10 02:06, Anthony wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what Ian Fleming is trying to do.  However I do understand the issue with trying to wade through the mailing list submissions from Ubuntu-au and I'm wondering why this mail list subscription cannot be switched over to a NNTP or Newsgroup server?

You can already read this list via NNTP at gmane.org.  The name of the group is gmane.linux.ubuntu.region.australia.  There are RSS and Web interfaces as well as NNTP.

Paul
paul.vcf

George Patterson

Sep 20, 2010, 5:53:01 AM9/20/10
to Anthony, ubuntu-au
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 2:06 AM, Anthony <i.lurv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure what Ian Fleming is trying to do.  However I do

Who is Ian Fleming?

> understand the issue with trying to wade through the mailing list
> submissions from Ubuntu-au and I'm wondering why this mail list subscription
> cannot be switched over to a NNTP or Newsgroup server?

Ahhggg. So you want everyone to use a external server which is going
to be slower than using their ISP's email server?

> The advantages are that when people respond to a question, it places the
> answers under the original question indented to the right so anyone can see
> it's a response to the first post.  It's also a alot easier to search for
> key words in a newsgroup then the mailing list.  And control of who has
> access to the newsgroup and who does not would be much easier.

This is standard with better mail clients such as Sylpheed, I'm sure
that there are plenty of others. BWT, Google's Gmail threads the email
beautifully.

> I've submitted a screen-dump to illustrate what I'm trying to point out.
>
> Anyone think this would be worth looking into?

I'm sure we can all think of better projects to collectively spend our
time. This suggestion is a big no from me also.

Regards

George

andrew clarke

Sep 20, 2010, 4:12:14 PM9/20/10
to ubun...@lists.ubuntu.com
On Tue 2010-09-14 02:06:21 UTC+1000, Anthony (i.lurv...@gmail.com) wrote:

> I'm not entirely sure what Ian Fleming is trying to do. However I do
> understand the issue with trying to wade through the mailing list
> submissions from Ubuntu-au and I'm wondering why this mail list
> subscription cannot be switched over to a NNTP or Newsgroup server?
>
> The advantages are that when people respond to a question, it places
> the answers under the original question indented to the right so
> anyone can see it's a response to the first post.

Thunderbird can already do this (tree view, grouping messages by
thread) with email.

View -> Sort by -> Threaded

Mutt also does this. Also Sylpheed, as I recall.

> It's also a alot easier to search for key words in a newsgroup then
> the mailing list.

Searching for text in email folders using Thunderbird (or Mutt) isn't
difficult.

> And control of who has access to the newsgroup and who does not would
> be much easier.

I don't think you can claim that without first-hand knowledge of the
access control mechanisms made available by the newsgroup and mailing
list software.