Ubunchu! Episode 07 & 06 released!

瀬尾 浩史 ( Hiroshi Seo )

May 27, 2011, 5:30:18 AM5/27/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've just released two new episodes of "Ubunchu!" at my English blog!

Ubunchu! Episode 06: A Perfect Day for Koala
http://seotch.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/ubunchu06/

Ubunchu! Episode 08: Have You Mooed Today?
http://seotch.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/ubunchu08/

Ep6 is an episode about the release day of Karmic Koala.
As you can see It's a bit outdated and not so related to Ubuntu or Linux.
That's why I hesitated to make it public, but we can't go without 6, anyway. ;)

I hope you guys enjoy it!

瀬尾浩史 @ 架空線 / Hiroshi Seo @ AerialLine
=>E-Mail : s...@aerialline.com (Business) seo...@gmail.com (Private)
=>Website : http://www.aerialline.com/ (Japanese)
=>Website : http://seotch.wordpress.com/ (English)
=>Phone : 050 5806 7234
=>Mobile Phone: 080 5683 6036
=>Skype ID : seotch
=>Twitter : http://twitter.com/seotch
=>Gmail/Google talk: seo...@gmail.com

Martin Owens

May 27, 2011, 7:56:48 AM5/27/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic! Thanks for the release Seotch-san, I'm preparing the editing
directories now.

First job we need from those still in the mailing list is transcription.
Start entering here:

Chapter 06 -
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoU0j7W2_dPTdDd4d21JWlVhRHJRZFhnTk51TDMwV0E&hl=en_US&authkey=CKjmm9sG

Chapter 08 -
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoU0j7W2_dPTdEFHTmczRVZHdjBhWnRVMl9nMlNDQWc&hl=en_US&authkey=CI_m9pMC

I'm excited to be on the home stretch at last, thank you, thank you
Seotch-san!

Best Regards, Martin Owens

zedtux

May 28, 2011, 9:31:30 AM5/28/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello Seo,

Thank you for those episodes!
I think I can tell from the French Translation team that we're happy to
translate them soon!

Great job!

Tua-tua keladi. Makin tua makin brengsek.

May 28, 2011, 2:13:23 PM5/28/11
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Martin Owens <doct...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fantastic! Thanks for the release Seotch-san, I'm preparing the editing
> directories now.
>
> First job we need from those still in the mailing list is transcription.
> Start entering here:
>
> Chapter 06 -
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoU0j7W2_dPTdDd4d21JWlVhRHJRZFhnTk51TDMwV0E&hl=en_US&authkey=CKjmm9sG
>
> Chapter 08 -
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoU0j7W2_dPTdEFHTmczRVZHdjBhWnRVMl9nMlNDQWc&hl=en_US&authkey=CI_m9pMC
>
> I'm excited to be on the home stretch at last, thank you, thank you
> Seotch-san!
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens

Oh man... I am far away from home right now.
Better go back ASAP, but YAY! :D

--

http://blackclaw.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/tidak-ada-pendakian-se-epic-ini/

Tua-tua keladi. Makin tua makin brengsek.

May 28, 2011, 2:14:20 PM5/28/11
2011/5/27 瀬尾 浩史 ( Hiroshi Seo ) <seo...@gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just released two new episodes of "Ubunchu!" at my English blog!

YAY!!! :D :D :D :D

--
http://blackclaw.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/tidak-ada-pendakian-se-epic-ini/

Yuen Hoe Lim

May 29, 2011, 4:25:13 AM5/29/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Think I should probably make a little sound here :P I'm new in the list, having begun lurking somewhere in the middle of the long hiatus between chapter 7's release and now. Can I ask about how the process works here? So we have the googledoc spreadsheets and anyone could just leap on and directly edit transcriptions and translations in? Or is there some other procedure? What does a newbie need to know :P

I should probably introduce myself too. I'm Jason, or moofang if you prefer my online handle. I'm Malaysian by nationality, Chinese by ethnicity, and am currently living in Singapore. I've been reading ubunchu since the beginning and have been running a chapterly review on my blog since chapter 3. I can read and understand a modest bit of Japanese, and at some point I decided to latch on to this list to see if I might be of any help at some point :)

----
Jason "moofang" Lim Yuen Hoe
http://yuenhoe.co.cc/

Martin Owens

May 31, 2011, 8:40:00 AM5/31/11
On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 16:25 +0800, Yuen Hoe Lim wrote:
> So
> we have the googledoc spreadsheets and anyone could just leap on and
> directly edit transcriptions and translations in? Or is there some
> other
> procedure? What does a newbie need to know :P

Hey Yuen,

Yeah so we have a google document which people collaborate on with these
steps:

* Transcription (type in the Japanese into the gdoc)
* Translation (rough, into Engrish or similar)
* Complete Translation (into full English)
* Other Translations (into French, etc)

I've already completed the editing for both edition, I have files
waiting for words to fill them up. There is an extra step of creating a
stop page which I have asked the Ubuntu group for volunteers to help.

Martin,

Alexandre

May 31, 2011, 12:57:53 PM5/31/11
to Ubunchu!
Awesome! Thank you for releasing these. Now lets see what I can do
to help the English release.

Anton Ekblad

Jun 9, 2011, 6:11:14 AM6/9/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
I was lurking for a bit to see if anyone would fill in panel numbers, names and the other boring stuff, but I guess nobody's going to unless I do it. It's really too bad that the future is so uncertain; things are really starting to get interesting, what with SICP making an appearance and everything going completely psychedelic. :)

Martin Owens

Jun 9, 2011, 10:42:00 AM6/9/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Basically, anyone who steps forward to do a bit of the work will be
richly rewarded with virtual flowers and showered in virtual hugs.

:-D

Martin,

Tua-tua keladi. Makin tua makin brengsek.

Jun 9, 2011, 12:57:56 PM6/9/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com

I think the rest just don't know how you do it, Anton, sire.. Know
which panels and type all those fuzzy letters isn't something that
everyone can do. :)

Anton Ekblad

Jun 9, 2011, 8:47:41 PM6/9/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
OK, first draft of ep06 is done. Have a go at it, it's probably full of inconcistencies with the style of the previous releases.

The part about Akane and SICP really deserves its own chapter, with "the Wizard" being her actual love and Akiha the evil $SOMETHING that took over the school, stole the Wizard and drove Akane out, with Akane coming back from training in a desolate wasteland to kick Akiha's ass.

If anyone's a School Rumble fan, imagine something like the part where Harima starts drawing manga about himself being an outcast coming back to rescue Tenma from Karasuma and his evil minions.

Martin Owens

Jun 9, 2011, 9:58:18 PM6/9/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Anton,

So are we skipping the transcription step for these chapters and moving
directly onto the English?

I'll start preparing the svgs as soon as I can.

Martin,

Anton Ekblad

Jun 10, 2011, 2:57:49 PM6/10/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
I don't think the transcription part is very useful; there is no sloppy handwriting to decipher and when translating, going by the source material is much preferrable since you don't have the full context of what's being said if you're just reading the lines from a spreadsheet. The only real "use" I can see for it is running it through Google Translate or similar, but I really hope nobody's doing that to produce "translations" and I definitely don't think we should put any effort into supporting malpractice like that.

Martin Owens

Jun 10, 2011, 3:32:08 PM6/10/11
On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 11:57 -0700, Anton Ekblad wrote:
> The only real
> "use" I can see for it is running it through Google Translate or
> similar,
> but I really hope nobody's doing that to produce "translations" and I
> definitely don't think we should put any effort into supporting
> malpractice
> like that.

the only use I used it for was to reposition the English within the
right parts of the page. A sort of sanity check.

Otherwise it's not a problem, I think I'll go through the English and
re-edit some parts that you weren't sure on and then if you're happy
with the edits the editing can begin.

Martin,

Anton Ekblad

Jun 10, 2011, 5:20:12 PM6/10/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good. I hope more people will join in the proof reading though; mistakes always happen with things like this, and the more people who look for them the better our chance to catch them.

...so, anyone who finds something odd, unnatural, out of character, flat out wrong or otherwise amiss with the draft, please do speak up!

ayoopdog

Jun 10, 2011, 9:03:01 PM6/10/11
to Ubunchu!
I'm going to translate them all into Nepalese this summer. Probably
will take a while

Yuen Hoe Lim

Jun 11, 2011, 5:34:28 AM6/11/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Awesome work with the translation! Just did a read-through, here are some suggestions:

- Page 1 panel 3 Akane, how about "Thanks to today being the long awaited release day of "Karmic Koala", the new Ubunchu version"? I think this'll make it clearer that they got carried away in chat last night because of the release day, and also it'd be great to clarify that Karmic Koala is a new Ubuntu version for non-Linux readers, since the original text does so too.

- Page 2 panel 1 Akane, how about "It isn't even that great of a login screen, but I'd still like to see it with my own eyes"? Or perhaps "It's probably just an ordinary login screen, but I still want to see it with my own eyes".

- Page 2 panel 3 one speech bubble missing, presumably Risa saying "Hello~" (やほです~)

- Perhaps we should either use "wizard" or "magician" for both references to SICP (page 3 panel 1 and page 4 panel 1) :P

- Page 5 panel 3 how about adding an "Alright" in the beginning? Not sure if its just personal perference but it flows better for me if its "Alright I give in!". also, the typo "sloop" -> "sleep" :)

- Page 6 panel 4, how about "Why am I running about spreading Windows on such a fine Koala day?", thought Koala climate felt abit weird, but again might just be a personal thing

Just my 2c feel free to ignore them completely xP Awesome chapter. Probably gonna result in yet another Akane-fanboying post at my blog when it gets released :D

----
Jason "moofang" Lim Yuen Hoe
http://yuenhoe.co.cc/

Message has been deleted

Yuen Hoe Lim

Jul 13, 2011, 11:46:47 AM7/13/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've read chapter 8 and really liked it! And so Anton doesn't always end up doing all the work, I've gone ahead and translated it and filled in the chapter 08 spreadsheet. Please take a look and comment/ammend/correct/proofread! In particular I'm pretty bad with the SFX stuff so hope someone can help with that >.< This is my first ever manga translation attempt so be gentle :)

I think these latest two chapters are really looking good. I hope there'll be more :)

----
Jason "moofang" Lim Yuen Hoe
http://yuenhoe.co.cc/

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:46 AM, Anton Ekblad <an...@ekblad.cc> wrote:

On Saturday, June 11, 2011 11:34:28 AM UTC+2, Jason "moofang" wrote:
Hi,

Awesome work with the translation! Just did a read-through, here are some suggestions:

- Page 1 panel 3 Akane, how about "Thanks to today being the long awaited release day of "Karmic Koala", the new Ubunchu version"? I think this'll make it clearer that they got carried away in chat last night because of the release day, and also it'd be great to clarify that Karmic Koala is a new Ubuntu version for non-Linux readers, since the original text does so too.

Sure.

- Page 2 panel 1 Akane, how about "It isn't even that great of a login screen, but I'd still like to see it with my own eyes"? Or perhaps "It's probably just an ordinary login screen, but I still want to see it with my own eyes".

Sure, again.

- Page 2 panel 3 one speech bubble missing, presumably Risa saying "Hello~" (やほです〜)

Oops!

- Perhaps we should either use "wizard" or "magician" for both references to SICP (page 3 panel 1 and page 4 panel 1) :P

I made it wizard in both instances, since "the wizard book" is SICP's more or less official nickname.

- Page 5 panel 3 how about adding an "Alright" in the beginning? Not sure if its just personal perference but it flows better for me if its "Alright I give in!". also, the typo "sloop" -> "sleep" :)

Fixed.

- Page 6 panel 4, how about "Why am I running about spreading Windows on such a fine Koala day?", thought Koala climate felt abit weird, but again might just be a personal thing

I don't think there really is a way to make that sentence sound good so I don't have any strong feelings either way. I guess yours is a bit better, so let's go with that. Perhaps we could rewrite it to something like "why am I running about spreading Windows when I'm supposed to be welcoming the Koala?"

Anton Ekblad

Jul 14, 2011, 2:18:25 AM7/14/11
to Ubunchu!
Looks good at a quick glance; I'll take a closer look at it when I get
off work tonight.

I was meaning to do something about ch8 for the last few weeks, but
then there was this new Minecraft update, and then I discovered Game
of Thrones so I sort of got distracted. :)

On 13 Juli, 17:46, Yuen Hoe Lim <yuenho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've read chapter 8 and really liked it! And so Anton doesn't always end up
> doing all the work, I've gone ahead and translated it and filled in the
> chapter 08 spreadsheet. Please take a look and
> comment/ammend/correct/proofread! In particular I'm pretty bad with the SFX
> stuff so hope someone can help with that >.< This is my first ever manga
> translation attempt so be gentle :)
>
> I think these latest two chapters are really looking good. I hope there'll
> be more :)
> ----
> Jason "moofang" Lim Yuen Hoehttp://yuenhoe.co.cc/

Anton Ekblad

Jul 15, 2011, 12:20:26 PM7/15/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com
I sat down and looked through the script; all in all, good job! Comments:

Page 1, panel 1: "if you put that in it's going to break" isn't anywhere near as ambiguous as 入れたら壊れちゃう. Since the source material is using the classic "gee, they weren't doing anything naughty at all, even though last panel had me absolutely convinced that they were" I think we should aim to capture that ambiguity too; perhaps something like "it's not going in"?

Panel 2: I'm guessing it's the sound Ubuntu makes when notifying the user that something just went horribly wrong.

Panel 3: I'd like to suggest a somewhat different wording for Akane's line: "You forced a rogue package on Ubunchu, making her cry; what sort of monsters are you Windows users?!" (The bit about Windows users being monsters being the only part that really matters, I just added the "forcing x on Ubunchu" since I thought it'd be fun to frame the action in a more human, less technical wording, since we're after all talking about making an OS cry here. (tl;dr making the anthro-moe more explicit)) I'm also curious about if that kitchen thing is some sort of proverb; never seen it used like that before.

Page 2, panel 5: I'd rather make it "whatever" or something that better conveys how much Masato cares (which is, not much presumably :)

Page 3, panel 3: I think "in the club" is a little unnecessary; it doesn't sound all that natural to me to tack it on to the end of the sentence like that. I think we should either drop it or figure out a way to better "integrate" it into its sentence.

Page 4, panel 4: I'd change the rightmost gnome's line to "you're useless when I'm not around" or something similar not referencing this particular task.

Page 6, panel 4: I think Masato is the master or perfector, rather than the decider, of kopipe. (Compare to 極める)

Page 7, panel 5: wouldn't "Ubunchu is still broken" sound more natural than "we haven't fixed Ubunchu yet"?

Page 9, panel 3: I think グイグイ is the SFX for nodding.

Yuen Hoe Lim

Jul 16, 2011, 3:42:26 AM7/16/11
to ubunchu-t...@googlegroups.com

I sat down and looked through the script; all in all, good job! Comments:

Thanks :)

Page 1, panel 1: "if you put that in it's going to break" isn't anywhere near as ambiguous as 入れたら壊れちゃう. Since the source material is using the classic "gee, they weren't doing anything naughty at all, even though last panel had me absolutely convinced that they were" I think we should aim to capture that ambiguity too; perhaps something like "it's not going in"?

lol okay. I've changed it to "No... d-don't put it in...". Hope that sounds suitably 'ambiguous' ^^

Panel 2: I'm guessing it's the sound Ubuntu makes when notifying the user that something just went horribly wrong.

Added.

Panel 3: I'd like to suggest a somewhat different wording for Akane's line: "You forced a rogue package on Ubunchu, making her cry; what sort of monsters are you Windows users?!" (The bit about Windows users being monsters being the only part that really matters, I just added the "forcing x on Ubunchu" since I thought it'd be fun to frame the action in a more human, less technical wording, since we're after all talking about making an OS cry here. (tl;dr making the anthro-moe more explicit)) I'm also curious about if that kitchen thing is some sort of proverb; never seen it used like that before.

Ok :P I'll prefix that with an "I can't believe " for better flow.

Page 2, panel 5: I'd rather make it "whatever" or something that better conveys how much Masato cares (which is, not much presumably :)

Hope you meant the second bubble (so "well, whatever") and not the first (for "whatever, I guess that's convenient").

Page 3, panel 3: I think "in the club" is a little unnecessary; it doesn't sound all that natural to me to tack it on to the end of the sentence like that. I think we should either drop it or figure out a way to better "integrate" it into its sentence.

Now that I'm rereading it you're right. I'll just take that out.

Page 4, panel 4: I'd change the rightmost gnome's line to "you're useless when I'm not around" or something similar not referencing this particular task.

Done.

Page 6, panel 4: I think Masato is the master or perfector, rather than the decider, of kopipe. (Compare to 極める)

Ok! Sounds much better now :)

Page 7, panel 5: wouldn't "Ubunchu is still broken" sound more natural than "we haven't fixed Ubunchu yet"?

Hmm okay.

Page 9, panel 3: I think グイグイ is the SFX for nodding.

Added.

Looking forward to the releases :)
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted