Re: Please excuse some very noob questions

nickarsow

Jun 29, 2012, 1:22:52 AM6/29/12
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

1. AUAV1 is not a clone of UDB4, but of UDB3. The difference between them is RE4 which is not implemented on AUAV1 and of cource the price.
2. As the 3DR telemetry transmitter supports standard UART, all UDBx/AUAVx can support it.
3. This telemetry kit could be used just for digital data transmission up to 250kbps.
4. This question will be answered by developers.
5. Both concepts ( UDB and APM ) are perfect but APM is a bit oriented towards Ncopters rather than planes. MatrixPilot is oriented towards planes. So, it depends on you which one to choose.

Best regards

Nick Arsov

Peter Hollands

Jun 29, 2012, 2:58:20 AM6/29/12
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
Matt N

The UDB3 and AUAV1 use a 5V dspic30F series cpu. The supplied memory on that cpu is two small for running some of the newer features in MatrixPilot, including bi-directional MAVLink. The UDB4 uses a 3.3V dspic33F series cpu with around 15 times the RAM compared to the dspic30F cpu.

The plugin modules that you refer to in MAVProxy are fairly new code from Tridge and that branch of MAVproxy is not yet our own trunk development code. However, Matt C. is now using that branch for his development, and he has added his own plugin module to create an audio variometer, that emits sounds from his ground station depending on whether his glider is in lift or a downdraft.

Matt C. has been saying that the newer version of MAVProxy is only working in Linux, so I have not yet looked seriously at porting it to our trunk. I want to first understand in detail, what the Linux dependency is in detail. As a strategy it makes most sense for us to stay immediately downstream of Tridge's updates, and then apply our own. So I personally, would like to upgrade to using the MAVProxy plugin module system, if we can finesse the Windows aspects of the upgrade.

In general, when comparing APM2 to the UAV DevBoard, I would summarize that the strength of the UDB / MatrixPilot is that
  • MatrixPilot has  developed a super IMU at it's core. The Maths is world leading, thank to William Premerlani. The Code is fully interrupt based with correct interrupt priorities. So if you want to do things like vertical hovering, or acrobatic work, that historically tends to be the field of the UDB.
  • The Logo flight control language is pretty unique. We can control our flights using an aircraft version of the famous LOGO language which was originally developed at MIT.  It is incredibly powerful, and recently Ben Levitt (the author for LOGO on MP), has introduced "Conditional" IF statements, and the concepts of Logo Interrupts. That means that MatrixPilot is just starting to be used by our lead test pilots for things like "Auto Thermalling". The plane can automatically use a Thermal to gain more lift while on it's way between waypoints.
  • Our own project is stronger terms of our Airplane use, than our Quad usage  which is still very much an emerging area for the UDB. Mark Whitehorn appears to be making great progress by building on Bill's work.

    Matt C's recent work on improving MP for his 5 meter wingspan glider is going well . Matt has a full channel mixing system, new air speed control features, and bi-directional MAVLink PID tuning and calibration features (as well as the audio variometer previously mentioned). Most of his code is now in trunk.

    The APM team, and in particular Tridge, has been working with Bill to try and see if he can make the latest IMU algorithms work in their quads ... because the algorithm, in theory, may offer better orientation and positioning.

Historically, the UAV Devboard and Ardu*** projects have been developed alongside each other. For now, we are benefiting greatly from Tridge's python based MAVLink work, and historically, we have freely shared our IMU algorithms with the Ardu team when they have asked for it.

I have always felt that the too strength of a community is it's people. I personally have really enjoyed developing new ideas with this group of talented individuals.

Best wishes, Pete

Keith Merrill

Jun 29, 2012, 5:54:05 AM6/29/12
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
I just started UAV a few months ago. I decided on the UDB4 board. I have not been disappointed. I have bought two more UDB4 boards for my other airplanes and look to buy more for other aircraft that I fly. I do not have experience with the other board.

I have successfully flown in Manual mode, Stabilize mode, and waypoint mode. I am currently working on wireless telemetry and wireless video.

I have many years in the RC hobby. I feel this is a plus in starting UAV. Understanding the flight characteristics of aircraft and being proficient with "Manual" recovery is not required but is helpful. Seek out your local RC club and get some help. There should be a trainer in the club that can save you some headaches getting your plan put together, flying and train you. They will have some great recommendations on RC transmitters, receivers, speed controls, motors and batteries. Make sure you ask a good sampling of RC club members what are their preferences on equipment. I always maintain that you should use and fly what your RC club is flying. Local hobby stores tend to stock parts and equipment for the club. My local hobby store gives a 10% discount to club members which often times beats internet purchases and saves time.

Some advice I got from this UAV forum was to start with a foam type airplane. This was good advice. Easy Star, Fun Cub and twin star are some good choices.

What you can't find in the gentlenav wiki for MatrixPilot and UDB4 the forum members are so kind to respond and help.

Keith

Jun 29, 2012, 2:20:24 PM6/29/12
to uavdevboard
Hi Matt,

I decided on the UDB and MatrixPilot several years ago and had a
similar background (aerospace engineer with no RC experience). The
deciding factors for me were:

- The team developing UDB/MatrixPilot. The autopilot/drones community
is great in general, but you won't find a more talented, helpful and
friendly team anywhere.

- The whitepapers written by Bill Premerlani. Bill is constantly
sharing his analysis, mathematics, and advancements in the form of
professionally written whitepapers. This seems to be unique to the
hobby. It's also why his efforts often lead community.

- The information sharing and helpful advice available 24x7 on this
forum, as well as on the gentlenav.com website.

Hope you choose UDB/MatrixPilot and join our fun group!

Best regards,
Phil

On Jun 28, 6:54 pm, Matt N <matthew.g.new...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quick Background: I'm an aerospace/mechanical engineer, but I have no real
> background in RC airplanes. Basically, my girlfriend just dumped me and I
> had nothing to do to keep my mind off it... until I started reading about
> UAV's... for no particular reason except this sounds like an awesome
> problem, I decided I'd like to build one. So my questions are:
>
> 1. What is the (is there a) difference between the UDB4 and the Arsov UAV
> Board?
> 2. Does the UDB4 (Arsov UAV Board?) support telemetry from this system?
> Does MatrixPilot?
> (https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_RadioTelemetry_Kit_915_Mhz_p/kt-telem...)

Matt N

Jun 29, 2012, 4:16:45 PM6/29/12
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
My apologies for the double post. This aircraft was given to me a while back and I never got around to playing with it, so I'm hoping I can use it and not have to buy something else (at least for the time being). (http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/3_516_2077_517/products_id/219666/n/Skyartec-Cessna-182-Brushless-RTF-Airplane-Blue?utm_source=Google-Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product-Feeds&source=google_ext). Does anything in particular stand out as a problem with this aircraft?

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:54:42 PM UTC-4, Matt N wrote:
Quick Background: I'm an aerospace/mechanical engineer, but I have no real background in RC airplanes. Basically, my girlfriend just dumped me and I had nothing to do to keep my mind off it... until I started reading about UAV's... for no particular reason except this sounds like an awesome problem, I decided I'd like to build one. So my questions are:

1. What is the (is there a) difference between the UDB4 and the Arsov UAV Board?
2. Does the UDB4 (Arsov UAV Board?) support telemetry from this system? Does MatrixPilot? (https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_RadioTelemetry_Kit_915_Mhz_p/kt-telemetry-3dr915.htm) This is the system APM2/ArduPilot recommends, and its much cheaper than the Xbee modules... and I'm a poor student.

Peter Hollands

Jun 29, 2012, 4:17:27 PM6/29/12
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
Matt N,

You said "1. With regards to LOGO... I have no problem coding a flightplan when the plane is on the ground, but when it's in the air commanding the plane from the command line seems virtually useless."

With LOGO you can command your plane from your transmitter using spare switches / channels while still looking at your plane in the sky.  For example, when in Autonomous mode,  I'm using my rudder control, to command whether my plane flies left autonomous circles, or right autonomous circles. Here is a link to Ben's example of that.

Most of us are flying with the plane in visual view. So for example, you could conceivably construct a Logo Loiter subroutine. When you flick a switch on your transmitter, Logo will interrupt what it is doing (what ever the main flight plan was), and instead will execute the Loiter subroutine. In practice, being able to watch your plane continuosly while flying is pretty important .... especially when learning (i.e. for the first year or two !), and especially if the software is new (which it nearly always is, because we like playing with the new features). It is for these reasons, that most of the experienced developers have not really been that much interested in getting the MAVLink change waypoints protocol working. It could be done, but currently no one is that interested.

On your wish list, I  recommend also getting an OpenLog. The OpenLog will record your telemetry in parallel to your wirelesss telemetry system. I recommend it because the OpenLog is very simple, and very reliable. It will record every flight, when you fly as long as it has an SD RAM chip inserted. Power up the plane, and you can be pretty certain the OpenLog is recording (just watch for the blue flashing light). By contrast, It is very easy to lose crucial telemetry when using a wireless system.

The  wireless sysetm is useful for tuning up the PID's gains of your plane. In that scenario it is useful to have another person with you, changing the PID's as requested from a PC, when verbally requested by you while you are flying. Using the wireless telemetry changes the PID tuning process from days to minutes. (for an experienced user :-) ) I have tried that and it is  a super facility.

In general the FTDI USB sparkfun device for connecting to your PC is also highly recommended as a way of testing the telemetry connection, before  adding the additional lump of technology which is your wireless telemetry communications.

Best wishes, Pete

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Matt N <matthew....@gmail.com> wrote:
Wow, thank you guys so much for the thoughtful responses! I'd love to hear about some of the problems William Premerlani is working on now, maybe I could help (looks like phil just answered this question! I'll check out the whitepapers)! If you don't mind I have a few more/ some follow up questions.

1. With regards to LOGO... I have no problem coding a flightplan when the plane is on the ground, but when it's in the air commanding the plane from the command line seems virtually useless. For example if I want the aircraft to fly to a specified GPS coordinate (from what I can gather) I have to convert the GPS coordinate (lat,lon,alt) to an (x,y,z) position with respect to the origin (which I gather is the initial position of the aircraft?), and then I have to devise and calculate a path to get there, and then convert that all to the LOGO language. This is simple enough when the plane is on the ground, but at least to me seems impossible to do in real time when the plane is in the air.

2. With regards to telemetry... has anyone on here used this system (https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_RadioTelemetry_Kit_915_Mhz_p/kt-telemetry-3dr915.htm)? Am I wrong in thinking that 250 kbps seems like plenty of data to send digital video? I see you can configure it for how much redundancy you want, so you aren't necessarily getting 250 kbps of unique data, but for my purposes (close range, read <1km, and not as a serious FPV system but just to see the video in real time for kicks) a low quality video stream seems more than possible. Any documentation for how to set up this telemetry system with UDB?

3. Once I get a system up and running, how can I help the community? I'm proficient in C, but realistically I'm not a great programmer. My real expertise is in applied mathematics and aerospace engineering.

4. I've put together a shopping list for myself. I'd really appreciate it if someone could check it out and tell me if I'm: a. missing something, b. have something I don't need, c. would be better off replacing an item on my list with another item.

UDB4

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11115

GPS (I found this on Amazon for much cheaper than on sparkfun. Can someone confirm that this GPS is indeed compatible?)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G51DVA/ref=sc_pgp__m_A1NKCEX1KZICS0_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1NKCEX1KZICS0&n=&s=&v=glance

Header Pins

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/116

.1” Series Socket Housing

Can someone refer me to a retailer that sells these in the US? I haven’t been able to find one. Alternatively, I could probably find one if someone could explain what these are/ what we use them for (they’re used to connect the battery to the UDB, no?)?

4AA Battery Holder

http://www.frys.com/product/2966085?source=googleps&gclid=CNmhjNqE9LACFUFV4AodWnccEw

PP3 Snap Connector

http://sumaoutlet.com/10-pcs-9volt-9v-snap-on-battery-clip-connector-t-type-p-3705.html?zenid=3u87i64ee931jivvrn75i8nep6

Breakout Board For FT232RL USB to Serial

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/718 (Is this necessary?)

pickit3

http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?Keywords=PG164130

Telemetry

https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_RadioTelemetry_Kit_915_Mhz_p/kt-telemetry-3dr915.htm (has anyone used this system? Any documentation for how to hook it up to UDB?)

[...]

Matt N

Jun 29, 2012, 9:04:15 PM6/29/12
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again for all the support guys. I'm having trouble finding the "socket housings and terminals" suggested in the UDB4 start guide. Will these jumper wires work? http://www.adafruit.com/products/266

Tom Pittenger

Jun 29, 2012, 9:36:13 PM6/29/12
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
oOoOo I like those!

Phil Giacalone

Jun 29, 2012, 10:54:17 PM6/29/12
to uavdevboard
Hi Matt,

Someone recommended this vendor a while ago. I've used them for
jumpers, headers, etc. They do a nice job and the prices are
reasonable.

Pololu Robotics & Electronics
(702) 262-6648
www.pololu.com

Best regards,
Phil

On Jun 29, 6:04 pm, Matt N <matthew.g.new...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks again for all the support guys. I'm having trouble finding the
> "socket housings and terminals" suggested in the UDB4 start guide. Will
> these jumper wires work?http://www.adafruit.com/products/266
>

> On Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:54:42 PM UTC-4, Matt N wrote:
>
> > Quick Background: I'm an aerospace/mechanical engineer, but I have no real
> > background in RC airplanes. Basically, my girlfriend just dumped me and I
> > had nothing to do to keep my mind off it... until I started reading about
> > UAV's... for no particular reason except this sounds like an awesome
> > problem, I decided I'd like to build one. So my questions are:
>
> > 1. What is the (is there a) difference between the UDB4 and the Arsov UAV
> > Board?
> > 2. Does the UDB4 (Arsov UAV Board?) support telemetry from this system?
> > Does MatrixPilot? (
> >https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_RadioTelemetry_Kit_915_Mhz_p/kt-telem...)

Phil Giacalone

Jun 29, 2012, 11:19:34 PM6/29/12
to uavdevboard
Hi Matt,

Nice looking plane. My only concern would be the prop in the front.
From personal experience when I was a noob pilot, having a propeller
in the front is asking for trouble. They always seem to 'find' the
ground first :-) My first few flight attempts lasted about 2 seconds
-- nose diving into the ground. I quickly changed to a pusher prop
plane, which are much more friendly when first learning to fly and
(especially) land. These crashes also sent me on a search for an
autopilot, which led me to UDB/MatrixPilot.

Anyway, I fly a Dynam Hawksky, which is a foam pusher prop. There are
a bunch of similar planes out there, like the Easy Star that Keith
mentioned.

Best regards,
Phil

On Jun 29, 1:16 pm, Matt N <matthew.g.new...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My apologies for the double post. This aircraft was given to me a while
> back and I never got around to playing with it, so I'm hoping I can use it
> and not have to buy something else (at least for the time being).
> (http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/3_516_2077_517/pro...).
> Does anything in particular stand out as a problem with this aircraft?
>

> On Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:54:42 PM UTC-4, Matt N wrote:
>
> > Quick Background: I'm an aerospace/mechanical engineer, but I have no real
> > background in RC airplanes. Basically, my girlfriend just dumped me and I
> > had nothing to do to keep my mind off it... until I started reading about
> > UAV's... for no particular reason except this sounds like an awesome
> > problem, I decided I'd like to build one. So my questions are:
>
> > 1. What is the (is there a) difference between the UDB4 and the Arsov UAV
> > Board?
> > 2. Does the UDB4 (Arsov UAV Board?) support telemetry from this system?
> > Does MatrixPilot? (
> >https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_RadioTelemetry_Kit_915_Mhz_p/kt-telem...)

Matt N

Phil Giacalone

Jun 30, 2012, 5:00:44 AM6/30/12
to uavdevboard
Hi Matt,

I think you'll be able to get the UDB and MatrixPilot working. I had
the same concerns when I got started, but the team on this forum
helped me get past any problems.

Here's a video that gives a short overview of the UBD electronics,
wiring and operating modes. Hopefully this will be of some help.

http://youtu.be/FNQE5_0JUXY

Best regards,
Phil
> >https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_RadioTelemetry_Kit_915_Mhz_p/kt-telem...)

crashmatt

Jun 30, 2012, 11:21:47 AM6/30/12
to uavde...@googlegroups.com
Matt,  Welcome to the gang.

If somebody has not recommended it yet, you might consider HILSIM (hardware in loop simulation).  Instead of flying a real model you can fly a simulated one which the autopilot can connect to.  This makes your learning curve rather less expensive.  There is some frustration doing the HILSIM setup but I believe it is worthwhile.

Regards Matt

Phil Giacalone

Jul 2, 2012, 5:23:35 PM7/2/12
to uavdevboard
Hi all,

There were a few errors in the video I posted earlier so I created a
new version that should be more accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiyON1ESklk

I've removed the old version to avoid confusion.

Best regards,
Phil