Reminder: Status IDs are changing at 10am PDT/5pm UTC Tuesday 12th October 2010

Matt Harris

Oct 12, 2010, 2:03:13 AM10/12/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

Just a quick reminder that Snowflake (the new way we will generate
Status IDs) is scheduled to go live at 10am PDT/5pm UTC Tuesday 12th
October 2010 - today for many of you and tomorrow for those of you who
are on PDT. We'll send a Tweet on @twitterapi as a reminder just
before we do this, and another after Snowflake is enabled.

The original announcement along with more information can be found in
our Announcements archive:
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-api-announce/browse_thread/thread/7982e3b037eeef95

Best,

@themattharris
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/themattharris

artesea

Oct 12, 2010, 4:51:25 AM10/12/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Quick question, for the timeline I've been using max_id=123456789 as a
method of paging backwards instead of page=2. This stops the last few
tweets from the previous page appearing at the top as more people
tweet.
So if the last tweet on the current page has an ID of 123456790, I
make a request for max_id=123456789 (minus one to stop the same tweet
appearing).
However if the tweets will no longer be directly incremental, will
this method still work or could the odd tweet disappear (I assume they
would need to be posted at the same millisecond, but it could be
possible)?

Thanks
Ryan

On Oct 12, 7:03 am, Matt Harris <thematthar...@twitter.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Just a quick reminder that Snowflake (the new way we will generate
> Status IDs) is scheduled to go live at 10am PDT/5pm UTC Tuesday 12th
> October 2010 - today for many of you and tomorrow for those of you who
> are on PDT. We'll send a Tweet on @twitterapi as a reminder just
> before we do this, and another after Snowflake is enabled.
>
> The original announcement along with more information can be found in
> our Announcements archive:
>  http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-api-announce/browse_thread/thr...
>
> Best,
>
> @themattharris
> Developer Advocate, Twitterhttp://twitter.com/themattharris

Tom van der Woerdt

Oct 12, 2010, 2:25:07 PM10/12/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com, Twitter Development Talk
Actually, the minus one part will be fine as well.

Tom

On Oct 12, 2010, at 8:10 PM, Jim Chevalier <jchev...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Ryan,
>
> The link that Matt Harris pointed to states:
> "...parameters such as max_id and since_id will work as
> expected...things like counting Tweets by subtracting status IDs will
> not be possible."
>
> So, on the one hand it seems like you'll be able to continue without
> modification ... but on the other hand, it seems like you will have to
> modify your methods - specifically, the "minus one to stop the same
> tweet appearing" part.
>
> I'm guessing that you'll have to slightly modify your code to not use
> a 'less one' approach, but hopefully someone else can give you a more
> solid answer.
>
> -Jim

> --
> Change your membership to this group: http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk

Jim Chevalier

Nathaniel Irons

Oct 13, 2010, 3:36:19 AM10/13/10
On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 1:51 AM, artesea <ryanc...@gmail.com> wrote:

However if the tweets will no longer be directly incremental, will
this method still work or could the odd tweet disappear (I assume they
would need to be posted at the same millisecond, but it could be
possible)?

By my read of the Snowflake announcement, there's no guarantee of correct numerical ordering for new-style IDs generated within a second of each other. That still may not be a problem for you in practice, but be aware that nobody's promising millisecond accuracy.

  -nat