Devnest Recap

Jason Costa

May 17, 2011, 3:58:06 PM5/17/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi everyone,

Thanks again to those of you who spent the evening with us this past
Thursday at #devnestSF. We had a great time seeing so many of you, and
hope you enjoyed yourselves too. We started off the night with talks
from Dick Costolo and Ryan Sarver, then saw presentations from four
great companies in the ecosystem: DataMinr, Klout, The Guardian, and
Quora. A big thanks to all four of them for coming out.

We also had a chance to do Q&A with Ryan and Matt Harris from the
Platform team. We heard some solid questions from the audience around
an OAuth 2 implementation, the status of the JavaScript API and
@anywhere, opening up an API for the t.co shortener, and more. We’re
hoping to eventually upload videos from the event, but don’t have a
timeline as of yet for that.

Just to recap on some of the statistics we revealed during the event:

- the platform now receives 13 Billion API requests a day
- 600,000 developers are working with the Twitter API
- 900,000 applications have integrated with the Twitter API

Additionally, we saw other exciting activities in the ecosystem over
the past six months:

- ~$1 Billion in acquisitions
- ~$475 Million in venture capital investment

As I mentioned above, we had some great ecosystem company
presentations too:

- DataMinr sent out an alert regarding Osama Bin Laden’s death 20
minutes before Bloomberg reported it, and the detection was based on
only 19 tweets.
- Klout is now serving almost 1 Billion API calls monthly, with more
than 4 billion graph edges scored daily and over 6 billion tweets
analyzed for user topics every three months.
- Guardian discussed how they were able to pull down a massive volume
of tweets, and analyze public sentiment around Tony Blair at the
Chilcott Inquiry.
- Quora illustrated how they effectively use the Twitter OAuth sign-in
flow, and noted how they see an average of 30 click-throughs when a
user tweets an answer out.

If you attended the event and have feedback, please feel free to send
me a note (jason...@twitter.com) - I’d love to hear how you felt
about it. We want to do more of these in the future, and your feedback
will help us to better calibrate those events.

BB

May 18, 2011, 6:46:13 PM5/18/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Hello Jason and other folks that made it to #devnestSF,

I did not make it out. I had one huge question and I wonder if any of
the other folks had it:

When (if ever) will twitter open up embedding in the details pane to
new companies? (specifically video players)

Did anyone else ask this? What is the answer?

Thank you very much,
BB
> me a note (jasonco...@twitter.com) - I’d love to hear how you felt

Jason Costa

May 18, 2011, 8:16:16 PM5/18/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi BB - it looks like Matt has answered this question in another
thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/6b37774d6db29b9

Thanks,

@jasoncosta

Orian Marx

May 30, 2011, 10:32:27 PM5/30/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi Jason,

When will the video of this event be available?

@orian
> me a note (jasonco...@twitter.com) - I’d love to hear how you felt

Jason Costa

May 31, 2011, 2:31:00 PM5/31/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi Orian - we've hit some transcoding issues on the video files, and
are doing what we can to plow through those. That said, I can't give a
timeline yet on when these will be available. Hoping sooner than later
though.

@jasoncosta

On May 30, 7:32 pm, Orian Marx <or...@orianmarx.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> When will thevideoof this event be available?

Jason Kolb

Jun 7, 2011, 11:29:13 AM6/7/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to see the videos as well, are they still going to be posted?

Thanks!

Jason Costa

Jun 17, 2011, 8:02:34 PM6/17/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Just to close the loop on this thread, these videos have been posted.

You can find them here: http://www.youtube.com/twitterapi