System clock must be correctly set when requesting request token

Hedley Robertson

Jul 13, 2009, 3:53:33 PM7/13/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi, this was a bit of a tricky one to figure out, one of our
developers was having an issue where he would always get a 401
unauthorized from Twitter when requesting a request token. Turns out
that his virtual machine that he was running the code on was losing
time, badly. It was 3 days behind. Once I corrected the time,
Twitter oauth started working again. Makes sense now that I think
about it, but without any real error message it was hard to correctly
guess the nature of the problem.

Hope this helps someone later on.

Cheers.

Hedley Robertson

Blaine Garrett

Jul 13, 2009, 6:04:34 PM7/13/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Wow. Thank you for posting this! This fixed my problem. My host didn't
have the time sync initialized on the server I use and it was 2 hours
off. He enabled it and my code worked first try. Thank you so much.

Fyi: Original issue was posted in:
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/a200cf769aca513c?fwc=1
Thanks to everyone who helped try to figure this out.

On Jul 13, 2:53 pm, Hedley Robertson <hedley.robert...@gmail.com>

Dheepak

Aug 12, 2009, 4:43:00 AM8/12/09
to Twitter Development Talk