New Photo upload feature: What's new & coming on the API side

Arnaud Meunier

Jun 1, 2011, 2:34:34 PM6/1/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Hey developers,

We have just announced a couple of new exciting features at the All Things D conference, one of which is the ability to upload photos to twitter.com.

Uploading photos to Twitter is currently available on the twitter.com desktop version, and its access is initially limited to a very small number of users. In the next couple of weeks, as we progressively ramp up the number of users who have access to the feature, we'll provide you with more details about how you can use the "Tweet-with-photo" API.

For now, the only change you'll notice on the API side is a new "media" entity in the status object. We encourage you to support rendering, and to help you with that, we just revamped the Tweet Entities documentation page, describing in detail how you can use this structured data: http://dev.twitter.com/pages/tweet_entities

Note that we also updated our API Terms of Service [1] and our Display Guidelines [2] to include this new feature.

As ever, if you have questions about the new media entity or our ToS changes, let us know on the list or through @twitterapi.

Arnaud / @rno

jenny

Jun 1, 2011, 3:13:06 PM6/1/11
to Twitter Development Talk, arn...@twitter.com
Could you provide a public example? The example media link on
http://dev.twitter.com/pages/tweet_entities
leads to a protected tweet (http://t.co/4H6O41O) .

Thanks,
Jenny

CodeWarden

Jun 1, 2011, 3:16:34 PM6/1/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Arnaud - Can someone give some links to some tweets with the photos so
we can test our thumbnail/viewing implementation?

Also - Can someone give a synopses of what changed in the api_terms ?

thx,

Paul

Arnaud Meunier

Jun 1, 2011, 3:20:18 PM6/1/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hey Paul,

- The first Public Tweets with Photos will come by the end of the week. We'll of course update the documentation as soon as it will be live :)
- Concerning API Terms, you can take a look on our TOS diff here: http://dev.twitter.com/pages/api_terms_diff

Arnaud / @rno

Change your membership to this group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/twitter-development-talk

timanrebel

Jun 1, 2011, 5:19:28 PM6/1/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Any leads on when third party developers will get the option to upload
photos and videos to Twitter? We as Mobypicture.com would love to be
able to post the photo/video to Twitter as well, instead of only the
tweet

Liz Pullen

Jun 1, 2011, 5:44:13 PM6/1/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Similar services on Twitter clients and other social networks screen
for objectionable content.

Will Twitter have some system to avoid the pitfalls faced by other,
similar services? If the content is uploaded on to Twitter's servers,
you are taking responsibility for it.

Liz
l...@whatthetrend.com

Yusuke Yamamoto

Jun 2, 2011, 11:51:54 AM6/2/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The media-entities look very similar to url-entities.
Are media entity URLs appear in urls object as well?

Best,
--
Yusuke Yamamoto
yus...@mac.com

this email is: [x] bloggable/tweetable [ ] private
follow me on : http://twitter.com/yusukeyamamoto
subscribe me at : http://samuraism.jp/

Arnaud Meunier

Jun 2, 2011, 12:56:02 PM6/2/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hey Yusuke,

No, media URLs will not appear in the URL array.

Arnaud / @rno

Arnaud Meunier

Jun 2, 2011, 3:12:24 PM6/2/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

The first public tweet with a twitter.com uploaded photo has just been published. We just updated our JSON example on the Tweet entities documentation page: https://dev.twitter.com/pages/tweet_entities#media

We're excited to see you guys support rendering of these photos. Let us know how it goes!

Arnaud / @rno

Paul Haddad

Jun 2, 2011, 3:15:20 PM6/2/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Arnaud,

Can you provide guidance on the thumbnail size, specifically will it be at least 150x150 (that's what the sample has and IMO is a good thumbnail size).

Arnaud Meunier

Jun 2, 2011, 3:44:14 PM6/2/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hey Paul,

Thumbnails are 150x150 maximum. For your information, here are the max sizes we're using today. Note that these sizes might change in the future!

- THUMBNAIL: 150x150 max (cropping if necessary)
- SMALL: 340x680 max (fit)
- MEDIUM: 600x1200 max (fit)
- LARGE: 1024x2048 max (fit)

Arnaud / @rno

Rich

Jun 2, 2011, 3:59:11 PM6/2/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Excellent, just tested the entity code I wrote this morning and with
great relief it works and I'm extracting thumbnails automatically!

Great job guys, just bring on the Upload API :)

On Jun 2, 8:12 pm, Arnaud Meunier <arn...@twitter.com> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> The first public tweet with a twitter.com uploaded photo has just been
> published. We just updated our JSON example on the Tweet entities
> documentation page:https://dev.twitter.com/pages/tweet_entities#media
>
> We're excited to see you guys support rendering of these photos. Let us know
> how it goes!
>
> Arnaud / @rno <http://twitter.com/rno>
>

> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Arnaud Meunier <arn...@twitter.com> wrote:
> > Hey Yusuke,
>
> > No, media URLs will not appear in the URL array.
>
> > Arnaud / @rno <http://twitter.com/rno>

artesea

Jun 2, 2011, 4:00:35 PM6/2/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Thanks for making the example live. Have now got it displaying the
thumbs in http://dab.argh.tc/ however I've "retweeted" the message
using the oldskool method of "RT @twitter: #Photos on Twitter: taking
flight http://t.co/qbJx26r << now supported in dab.argh" but this
doesn't bring out any media entities, just the url ones, but I have no
method of converting "expanded_url" : "http://twitter.com/twitter/
status/76360760606986241/photo/1" to "media_url": "http://p.twimg.com/
AQ9JtQsCEAA7dEN.jpg".
Is there a simple algorithm behind it, or will you be supporting
people who just copy and paste the url in to their statuses in the
future?

Ryan / @artesea

On Jun 2, 8:12 pm, Arnaud Meunier <arn...@twitter.com> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> The first public tweet with a twitter.com uploaded photo has just been
> published. We just updated our JSON example on the Tweet entities
> documentation page:https://dev.twitter.com/pages/tweet_entities#media
>
> We're excited to see you guys support rendering of these photos. Let us know
> how it goes!
>
> Arnaud / @rno <http://twitter.com/rno>
>

> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Arnaud Meunier <arn...@twitter.com> wrote:
> > Hey Yusuke,
>
> > No, media URLs will not appear in the URL array.
>
> > Arnaud / @rno <http://twitter.com/rno>

Tom van der Woerdt

Jun 2, 2011, 4:05:44 PM6/2/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Arnaud / @rno,

Will you (and the rest of the dev/platform team, of course) also make these available via services such as Embed.ly (OEmbed)?

Currently my entire image implementation depends on parsing images from the tweet's text instead of the entities, and I'd like to keep it like that. :-)

Tom

Arnaud Meunier

Jun 2, 2011, 4:40:11 PM6/2/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ryan,

We're working on this, and it will be supported in the future (the media entity will be populated even if you copy & paste "manually" the URL).

Arnaud / @rno

Frank Ash

Jun 2, 2011, 4:55:55 PM6/2/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Arnold, can u say a general time when devs will have access to the upload function?

Terence Eden

Jun 3, 2011, 11:45:17 AM6/3/11
to Twitter Development Talk
I've written a quick tutorial for getting and displaying the media in
PHP.
http://shkspr.mobi/blog/index.php/2011/06/displaying-twitter-photos-via-entities/

Looking forward to seeing the upload API.
Message has been deleted

Tom van der Woerdt

Jun 6, 2011, 10:29:41 AM6/6/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I'm not Arnaud, but I can assure you that it won't happen.

Tom

On 6/6/11 4:25 PM, Julien Larios wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've implemented in Picsi this new way of photo sharing on Twitter
> (along with Twitpic support) and it works fine (based on Twitter4J 2.2.3).
> These pictures can be used in the 2 firsts Picsi apps: Media RSS
> export and ZIP backup
>
> But Arnaud (or should I say 'Dear Raptor fan' ? ;), do you know if
> external picture hosting services (like Twipitc) will be made
> available via this API branch?
> That would be great to grab all kind of photo via a single API syntax
> (instead of funky tweet parsing)
>
> Thanks

> --
> Twitter developer documentation and resources: https://dev.twitter.com/doc
> Issues/Enhancements Tracker:
> https://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/list
> Change your membership to this group:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/twitter-development-talk

> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21forum/twitter-development-talk>

Scott Wilcox

Jun 6, 2011, 10:31:52 AM6/6/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Completely agree with Tom on that one.

--
Scott Wilcox

@dordotky | sc...@dor.ky | http://dor.ky
+44 (0) 7538 842418 | +1 (646) 827-0580

Arnaud Meunier

Jun 6, 2011, 12:16:11 PM6/6/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com, Julien Larios
Hey Julien,

For now we're focusing on opening the Twitter Photo API endpoints to third party developers. These new API endpoints will be dedicated to Twitter media hosting, you won't be able to use them as a bridge/proxy for other media hosting services.

Arnaud / @rno

On Jun 6, 2011, at 7:25 AM, Julien Larios <julien...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi there,

I've implemented in Picsi this new way of photo sharing on Twitter (along with Twitpic support) and it works fine (based on Twitter4J 2.2.3).
These pictures can be used in the 2 firsts Picsi apps: Media RSS export and ZIP backup

But Arnaud (or should I say 'Dear Raptor fan' ? ;), do you know if external picture hosting services (like Twipitc) will be made available via this API branch?
That would be great to grab all kind of photo via a single API syntax (instead of funky tweet parsing)

Thanks

Tom van der Woerdt

Jun 7, 2011, 8:46:26 AM6/7/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

From a 'pretty reliable source' I got some information about the new API endpoint, how it works, etc. You probably won't be able to use it yet but I feel like sharing this information anyway :-)

Endpoint: https://upload.twitter.com/1/statuses/update_with_media.json
Parameters:
    * media (the image, I guess),
    * status (the text which you will also want),
    * probably all other ones which currently work with update.json (lat, lon, etc).

The API will give you a Not Found error! This is because this is still an unreleased API and only a very select of clients has access to it.

I currently don't have any information about how to upload several images (I guess you'd simply post another media item, but I don't know).

Tom

PS: I believe I just described an API which throws "Not Found" for all of you. Well done Tom, very convincing.

lucky

Aug 1, 2011, 7:36:02 AM8/1/11
to Twitter Development Talk
@Arnaud & others: How can I retrieve the photos posted on Twitter?
Which API to use?
I need this info urgently. Thanks in advance.
-lucky

On Jun 7, 5:46 pm, Tom van der Woerdt <i...@tvdw.eu> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>  From a 'pretty reliable source' I got some information about the new
> API endpoint, how it works, etc. You probably won't be able to use it
> yet but I feel like sharing this information anyway :-)
>
> Endpoint:https://upload.twitter.com/1/statuses/update_with_media.json
> Parameters:
>      * media (the image, I guess),
>      * status (the text which you will also want),
>      * probably all other ones which currently work with update.json
> (lat, lon, etc).
>
> *The API will give you a Not Found error!* This is because this is still
> an unreleased API and only a very select of clients has access to it.
>
> I currently don't have any information about how to upload several
> images (I guess you'd simply post another media item, but I don't know).
>
> Tom
>
> PS: I believe I just described an API which throws "Not Found" for all
> of you. Well done Tom, very convincing.
>
> On 6/6/11 6:16 PM, Arnaud Meunier wrote:
>

> > Hey Julien,
>
> > For now we're focusing on opening the Twitter Photo API endpoints to
> > third party developers. These new API endpoints will be dedicated to
> > Twitter media hosting, you won't be able to use them as a bridge/proxy
> > for other media hosting services.
>
> > Arnaud / @rno
>
> > On Jun 6, 2011, at 7:25 AM, Julien Larios <julien.lar...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:julien.lar...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >> Hi there,
>
> >> I've implemented in Picsi this new way of photo sharing on Twitter
> >> (along with Twitpic support) and it works fine (based on Twitter4J
> >> 2.2.3).
> >> These pictures can be used in the 2 firsts Picsi apps: Media RSS
> >> export and ZIP backup
>
> >> But Arnaud (or should I say 'Dear Raptor fan' ? ;), do you know if
> >> external picture hosting services (like Twipitc) will be made
> >> available via this API branch?
> >> That would be great to grab all kind of photo via a single API syntax
> >> (instead of funky tweet parsing)
>
> >> Thanks
>
> >> --
> >> Twitter developer documentation and resources:
> >>https://dev.twitter.com/doc
> >> API updates via Twitter:https://twitter.com/twitterapi
> >> Issues/Enhancements Tracker:
> >>https://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/list
> >> Change your membership to this group:
> >>https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/twitter-development-talk
> >> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21forum/twitter-development-talk>
> > --
> > Twitter developer documentation and resources:https://dev.twitter.com/doc
> > API updates via Twitter:https://twitter.com/twitterapi
> > Issues/Enhancements Tracker:
> >https://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/list
> > Change your membership to this group:
> >https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/twitter-development-talk
> > <https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21forum/twitter-development-talk>

Taylor Singletary

Aug 1, 2011, 12:28:01 PM8/1/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Lucky,

Photos posted with Twitter's new photo service appear as links within tweets, much like any other URL in tweets. There's no explicit API to just fetch images posted on Twitter, or just images posted using the new Twitter photo functionality.

@episod - Taylor Singletary

--
Have you visited the Developer Discussions feature on https://dev.twitter.com/discussions yet?

Twitter developer links: