Twitter Profile Image(s)

Ricardo Sousa

Feb 21, 2009, 5:28:52 PM2/21/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Hello,

I'm working as the developer of a Wordpress plugin that pulls twittar
avatars into wordpress comments. What it actually does is to pull the
avatar img each time user comments but the problem is that users
change the avatar often so we need to make API calls very often.

The default syntax url for Twitter profile images is:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitter_production/profile_images/80319404/avatars_bigger.png
(avatars is the name of the image in user computer)

The problem is is that "avatars" change whenever users change avatar
making it impossible to store the user's avatar url in DB and forcing
me to do a lot of API calls in order to get the most recent image.
What i want is to be able to call directly the user profile image
whitout need to call API first. Any ideas?

My question is if there's another syntax which is independent from the
image name? Something like:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitter_production/profile_images/80319404/bigger.png

If yes: How can i do that without need to call the API on each page
load (which is huge and terrible)?

if no: is that planned?

dougw

Feb 21, 2009, 11:12:11 PM2/21/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Ricardo,
It's not possible through the API as it stands, and has been brought
up before as a shortcoming. I didn't find any duplicate issues in my
searches. Sounds like an enhancement defect to report: add
http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/entry

@dougw

On Feb 21, 5:28 pm, Ricardo Sousa <thericardoso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working as the developer of a Wordpress plugin that pulls twittar
> avatars into wordpress comments. What it actually does is to pull the
> avatar img each time user comments but the problem is that users
> change the avatar often so we need to make API calls very often.
>
> The default syntax url for Twitter profile images is:
>
> http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitter_production/profile_images/80319404/av...
> (avatars is the name of the image in user computer)
>
> The problem is is that "avatars" change whenever users change avatar
> making it impossible to store the user's avatar url in DB and forcing
> me to do a lot of API calls in order to get the most recent image.
> What i want is to be able to call directly the user profile image
> whitout need to call API first. Any ideas?
>
> My question is if there's another syntax which is independent from the
> image name? Something like:
>
> http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitter_production/profile_images/80319404/bi...

dougw

Feb 22, 2009, 11:43:59 AM2/22/09
to Twitter Development Talk
I take that back, Ricardo. I looks like this has already been
officially requested.

Be sure to star it if you want to add your vote.

http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=242

@dougw

On Feb 21, 11:12 pm, dougw <igu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ricardo,
> It's not possible through the API as it stands, and has been brought
> up before as a shortcoming. I didn't find any duplicate issues in my
> searches. Sounds like an enhancement defect to report: addhttp://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/entry

Shannon Whitley

Feb 23, 2009, 10:06:43 AM2/23/09
to Twitter Development Talk
You may want to look at the SPIURL project:

http://code.google.com/p/spiurl/

It provides static urls for each Twitter profile image.
> > > if no: is that planned?- Hide quoted text -

Noah

Feb 23, 2009, 10:28:21 AM2/23/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Another option would be to run your avatar comparison checks through
the search API instead of the general API. It's still an API hit, but
I believe hits to the search API are not counted against your
authenticated standard API limits.

On Feb 23, 10:06 am, Shannon Whitley <shannon.whit...@gmail.com>