Putting a ceiling on requests from users and IPs on the whitelist

Alex Payne

Jan 20, 2009, 6:48:35 PM1/20/09
to Twitter Development Talk, twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com
Up until now we've allowed users and IPs on our whitelist an unlimited
number of requests per hour. When our whitelist was in the tens and
low hundreds, this made sense. Now that we have more developers on the
whitelist than we can reasonably maintain close communication with, we
need to put a ceiling on the number of requests per hour whitelisted
accounts and IPs can make.

Starting later this week we'll be limiting those on the whitelist to
20,000 requests per hour. Yes, you read that right: twenty THOUSAND
requests per hour. According to our logs, this accounts for all but
the very largest consumers of our API. This is essentially a
preventative measure to ensure that no one API client, even a
whitelisted account or IP, can consume an inordinate amount of our
resoures.

If you run one of the services that routinely exceed 20k
requests/hour, please get in contact with us (a...@twitter.com) as soon
as possible. Chances are good that you'll simply need to slow your
crawl rates, implement more caching on your end, and limit requests to
only active accounts. We're happy to work with you to find solutions.

--
Alex Payne - API Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x

Alex Payne

Jan 23, 2009, 1:19:00 PM1/23/09
to btan, Twitter Development Talk, twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com
The image link is a singleton tag; it does not require a closing tag.

You can request whitelisting at http://twitter.com/help/request_whitelisting.