PagodaCMS

Ed Singleton

Feb 28, 2007, 9:39:06 AM2/28/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know anything about PagodaCMS?

http://www.pagodacms.org/

Apparently it's built on TG, and was demoed at PyCon, but I can't find
any solid info on it.

I'm building a CMS at the moment and there's no point duplicating
work, particularly as this is likely to be better than what I'm
making.

Ed

Jim Steil

Feb 28, 2007, 10:57:49 AM2/28/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I went to the session on it and saw a demo. I talked with the guys
afterward and asked that they announce on this list when they are ready
to release something. They talked about a March time-frame to have
something out. I don't remember their names, but suspect that they
watch this list and will get back to you (us).

-Jim

Matthew Bevan

Feb 28, 2007, 5:06:36 PM2/28/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
> I'm building a CMS at the moment and there's no point duplicating
> work, particularly as this is likely to be better than what I'm
> making.

I, too, am building (and have a partially complete) CMS based on
TurboGears and SQLObject inheritance. And I agree - it would be nice
to get more information about other CMS development initiatives so as
to either decide to wait, or to at least get a good idea of where
other projects are going so I can position mine better.

Matthew Bevan, Systems Administrator
Top Floor Computer Systems Ltd.

Ian Charnas

Feb 28, 2007, 7:40:56 PM2/28/07
to TurboGears
Right now there's three of us working on PagodaCMS. It's myself,
Brian Beck, and Chris Hesse. We're working about 20 hours a week on
it, and our target demo date is at the end of march. At that time
we'll be asking people to help out with the core components, and to
help write plugins to support different content types. PagodaCMS will
be licensed under the MIT license. Until then, please check out the
screencast that we just put online. There's a link to it from our
homepage: http://www.pagodacms.org

Also, right now we're looking for someone familiar with writing code
tests. If you are familiar with writing tests with nose, test
fixtures, or using selenium (for testing client-side stuff), please
contact us directly!

Brief Feature rundown:
* sits on top of any turbogears app, only two lines of code to
integrate
* focuses ONLY on content management, doesn't take over your entire
site
* uses SQLAlchemy and genshi
* revisioned content in multiple languages
* 37-signals style of humane interface
* extreme attention paid to easy-to-understand terminology and simple
workflow
* pages can have attachments, content can have inline "placeholders"
* plugins will directly support "static" content (think document) and
will also provide thin wrappers around turbogears apps that handle
news feeds, calendars, photo galleries, blogs, etc

peace,
-Ian Charnas

Joshua J. Kugler

Feb 28, 2007, 8:17:17 PM2/28/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday 28 February 2007 15:40, Ian Charnas wrote:
> Until then, please check out the
> screencast that we just put online. There's a link to it from our
> homepage: http://www.pagodacms.org

Great screen cast! One suggestion. I had to *crank* my volume all the way
up, and even there there were several times I could barely hear the speaker.
Other than that, it looks great.

Can you post the google groups address on the main page?

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/ ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111

Sanjay

Mar 1, 2007, 3:38:28 AM3/1/07
to TurboGears
Just curious to know what database it uses - Postgres, MySQL or
anything else...

thanks
Sanjay

Jorge Godoy

Mar 1, 2007, 6:10:48 AM3/1/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
"Sanjay" <skpa...@gmail.com> writes:

> Just curious to know what database it uses - Postgres, MySQL or
> anything else...

It uses SQL Alchemy. Theoretically it won't interfere with your choice (but
it also won't use database optimizations for some types of queries and
datatypes).

--
Jorge Godoy <jgo...@gmail.com>

Ed Singleton

Mar 1, 2007, 10:02:03 AM3/1/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On 2/28/07, Matthew Bevan <matt....@topfloor.ca> wrote:

> > I'm building a CMS at the moment and there's no point duplicating
> > work, particularly as this is likely to be better than what I'm
> > making.
>
> I, too, am building (and have a partially complete) CMS based on
> TurboGears and SQLObject inheritance. And I agree - it would be nice
> to get more information about other CMS development initiatives so as
> to either decide to wait, or to at least get a good idea of where
> other projects are going so I can position mine better.

Well, I'd be interested in a discussion about it sometime.

I'm building a very bog standard CMS (currently used for
www.starttalkingideas.org but soon to be used for a few other sites).

It just has a hierarchy of pages with content on them, my colleagues
can edit them, and the Web Editor QAs them before they go live.
There's no content types atm. They're all served up by a default
method on the root controller. When I need some dynamic content (such
as a form) I create a series of controllers with the same path as the
page I need to override.

It's all largely come about because I've been making it up as I go
along. I have started to see some (huge) limitations in my system,
and have been thinking recently about a longer term way of dealing
with it. I decided to widgetise everything, so that content, forms
etc are just widgets. I was thinking that you could then store the
name of the widget, args and kwargs in the db (which is kind of what
I'm doing already with my portlets, which are just widgets, so I don't
know why I didn't think of it before), but the problem I'm having is
that it works fine as long as args and kwargs are just bits of text,
but if they are lists or objects, it becomes hard to store them in the
db.

Anyway, you'd be welcome to see my code. It will be open sourced if
it gets good enough (my employer is non-profit), but there's currently
a lot of deployment specific stuff in there.

Ed

Ed Singleton

Mar 1, 2007, 10:17:36 AM3/1/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On 2/28/07, Matthew Bevan <matt....@topfloor.ca> wrote:

> > I'm building a CMS at the moment and there's no point duplicating
> > work, particularly as this is likely to be better than what I'm
> > making.
>
> I, too, am building (and have a partially complete) CMS based on
> TurboGears and SQLObject inheritance. And I agree - it would be nice
> to get more information about other CMS development initiatives so as
> to either decide to wait, or to at least get a good idea of where
> other projects are going so I can position mine better.

Well, I'd be interested in a discussion about it sometime.

isaac

Mar 1, 2007, 1:19:05 PM3/1/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I just watched the screencast, and I'm quite impressed... looking
forward to trying it out.

--i

Ian Charnas

Mar 1, 2007, 2:32:34 PM3/1/07
to TurboGears
Joshua, thanks for the feedback. Our apologies about the screencast
volume, we were in a rush to catch our plane to pycon and didn't have
time to correct it.

We just posted links to the "announcements" and "discussion" google
groups on the homepage. There's also a pagoda-coders google group for
anyone that might want to help write plugins or hack at the core once
it's ready for public scrutiny.

-ian

On Feb 28, 8:17 pm, "Joshua J. Kugler" <jos...@eeinternet.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 February 2007 15:40, Ian Charnas wrote:
>
> > Until then, please check out the
> > screencast that we just put online. There's a link to it from our
> > homepage:http://www.pagodacms.org
>
> Great screen cast! One suggestion. I had to *crank* my volume all the way
> up, and even there there were several times I could barely hear the speaker.
> Other than that, it looks great.
>
> Can you post the google groups address on the main page?

> --
> Joshua Kugler

> Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmerhttp://www.eeinternet.com

Ian Charnas

Mar 1, 2007, 2:41:44 PM3/1/07
to TurboGears
Sanjay, Jorge, hello! Jorge is right, we have chosen not to use any
stored procedures or database-specific indexes... so you will be able
to use Postgres, MySQL, or even sqlite... if it works with SQLAlchemy,
it should work with Pagoda. One exception is that the database must
support unicode, which causes some people trouble in MySQL.
-ian

Ian Charnas

Mar 1, 2007, 2:49:59 PM3/1/07
to TurboGears
Ed, thanks for the note. The other two core developers and myself
have been working on the design for Pagoda for a few months now, and
we have a solid foundation of code written that lets us do
multilingual revisioned content and supports the kind of plugins and
templates that seem best to us. As soon as we have a working demo
we'd like to open up the code and get feedback and assistance from
other developers, and that means you! Please join any of the Pagoda
google groups that fit your interests:
pagoda-talk (regular discussion)
pagoda-coders (developers only)
pagoda-announcements (announcements only)

many thanks,
-Ian

> Well, I'd be interested in a discussion about it sometime.
>

> I'm building a very bog standard CMS (currently used forwww.starttalkingideas.orgbut soon to be used for a few other sites).

Olli Wang

Mar 1, 2007, 3:00:24 PM3/1/07
to TurboGears
Actually, I'm more curious about how to migrate database schema. If
one day needing to change the model, nowadays we have to drop and
create. The upgrade would be a serious situation. If we already
published many article on Pagoda, I think no one would like to upgrade
if we need to drop database first. :(

Richard Harding

Mar 1, 2007, 4:40:12 PM3/1/07
to turbo...@googlegroups.com

This sounds like a good reason to get into the tgmigrate from the
cogbin. I've been starting to look at it as a good method for me to work
with another developer as we build out a project. In this way db changes
should be able to be handled in a more graceful way with some work put
into place to help migrate data as well as create newly formed items.

Rick