Compilation of trema-trema-3f8148a on ruby (ruby 1.9.2p290) fails

Shrey

Sep 5, 2011, 1:06:26 AM9/5/11
to trema-dev
Hi,

We tried compiling a copy of Trema source code on a local machine
(i686, with Ruby version 1.9.2p290). It fails with the following
error:

---8<---
$ ruby build.rb
.mono.rant:419: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting keyword_then
or ',' or ';' or '\n'
when String: obj
^
.mono.rant:427: warning: else without rescue is useless
.mono.rant:462: syntax error, unexpected keyword_end, expecting $end
end # module Rant
^
---8<---

This is a fresh untarred copy with no modifications at our end.
Running the same code on a machine hosting ruby version 1.8.7 worked
fine. Am I not doing something correct or is this a known issue that
the trema build will not work on Ruby version 1.9.2p290?

In case any further information is required, please do let me know.

Regards,
Shreyansh

Yasuhito Takamiya

Sep 5, 2011, 1:28:10 AM9/5/11
to trem...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shrey,

We have not been testing Trema on Ruby 1.9.x so far because as you may
know, Ruby 1.9 is still in development.

Of course, if there will be more (potential) 1.9 users, we will port
Trema into 1.9

Regards,
Yasuhito

Shrey

Sep 5, 2011, 2:54:58 AM9/5/11
to trema-dev
Hi Yasuhito-san,

> We have not been testing Trema on Ruby 1.9.x so far because as you may
> know, Ruby 1.9 is still in development.

Thanks for confirmation. I understand the issue.
I was just trying to run Trema on a latest version of Ruby. I
apologize that I actually ignored the fact that ruby 1.9 is still not
stable.

> Of course, if there will be more (potential) 1.9 users, we will port
> Trema into 1.9

I will try and see if we can help here.

Regards,
Shrey

dadicool

Oct 17, 2011, 2:05:50 AM10/17/11
to trema-dev
Given that most distributions are moving to 1.9.x as the default, it
would be great to include support that version soon.

Shrey, did you get this to work on 1.9 or did you just switch to 1.8?

Yasuhito Takamiya

Oct 21, 2011, 12:49:08 AM10/21/11
to trem...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dali,

I think moving to 1.9 isn't really hard, just removing some 1.8
dependent syntax parts will work.

The real problem is that we need to run automatic CI tests (cruise.rb)
to ensure that ruby1.9 support is not broken,
but currently we do not have enough resource (servers) for that.

Does anyone know free hosting servers that can run Jenkins or other CI tools?

Regards,
Yasuhito

Dali Kilani

Oct 21, 2011, 12:55:35 AM10/21/11