Trains of the future - Pop Sci Archive slide show of past concepts

3 vues

Jerry Schneider

non lue,
2 déc. 2010, 14:43:2202/12/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Actually, train (transit) "ideas" that did not get anywhere -- but
were thrilling at the time to some. Only one was a small vehicle
concept (out of 10).

http://www.popsci.com/cars/gallery/2010-11/archive-gallery-thrilling-trains

Bruce Attah

non lue,
5 déc. 2010, 14:36:5505/12/2010
à transport-innovators
Item 10 links to an article from 1972 about UMTA, and it reports that
the DoT was betting heavily on LIM-powered air-cushioned vehicles. It
has pictures of some of these, as well as Airtrans, and a Transrapid
prototype that uses an inverted-T guideway. It has a couple of
paragraphs on PRT, and says this:

"TACV development is still at a fairly early state -- it will probably
arrive in the late 1970s or early 1980s. MAGLEV is at an even earlier
stage -- look for it in the late 1980s. And because of the formidable
problems of integrating PRT systems into present urban transit systems
(or into city buildings themselves) it's unlikely that PRT will come
into widespread use before the 1980s."

According to the article,the Shinkansen's top speed was 125 mph at
that time, and maintenance was a pain.

It also says "Really high-speed ground systems -- above 200 mph --
demand unconventional suspension and contact systems; wheels on tracks
just don't work well at these speeds."

Link: http://books.google.com/books?id=VvyLShXydNgC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA91

Item 8 is from 1961, and is about Eric Laithwaite's early experiments
with the use of LIM for vehicle propulsion. The linked article
contains the remark that: "Wheels probably won't be used anyway; they
would cause trouble at 200 m.p.h. A strong possibility is a wheel-less
air-supported train"

http://books.google.com/books?id=VSEDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA77
> http://www.popsci.com/cars/gallery/2010-11/archive-gallery-thrilling-...

WALTER BREWER

non lue,
5 déc. 2010, 20:13:0905/12/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
I like one of the first pictures. Cars in real gridlock!!

"They" didn't get it then and "they" still don't get it now;

Transportation is not an end product, it is one major means to achieve
productivity, and social mobility.

People want, and productivity needs on demand personal transportation.

Walt Brewer

Link: http://books.google.com/books?id=VvyLShXydNgC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA91

http://books.google.com/books?id=VSEDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA77

Brad Templeton

non lue,
6 déc. 2010, 00:27:1706/12/2010
à transport-innovators
Transportation is for more than "social" mobility and productivity. I
mean it is mobility of course, but we also in many cases just plain
seek to be in different places, even if we can get all the
productivity without it. Even when we have full virtual reality like
Rainbow's End or Star Trek Holodecks, I suspect we'll still like to
actually go places to do things, though not quite as much.

Dennis Manning

non lue,
6 déc. 2010, 01:43:1406/12/2010
à transport-...@googlegroups.com
Brad:

Fascinating point. Will all the information we can get about places and
people all over the world via the net increase or decrease our individual
desires to travel the world?

You hinted it might reduce the desire. I'd speculate it might increase it.
If you don't know anything about a different place or culture what would
motivate your travel? Could the reverse be true? The more you learn about
far away places the more you want go there and see them in person. I suspect
the latter.

Dennis