postgres idle in transaction

Kenneth Gonsalves

Mar 30, 2007, 7:29:21 AM3/30/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
hi,
i have been running trac .10 with postgres on a debian sarge box with
apache2 and mod_python. My box is freezing and i am finding hundreds
of processes or postgres idle in transaction from the trac database.
Is this a trac problem? any clues as what to do?

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves
Associate, NRC-FOSS
law...@au-kbc.org
http://nrcfosshelpline.in/web/

Christian Boos

Mar 30, 2007, 7:50:20 AM3/30/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> hi,
> i have been running trac .10 with postgres on a debian sarge box with
> apache2 and mod_python. My box is freezing and i am finding hundreds
> of processes or postgres idle in transaction from the trac database.
> Is this a trac problem? any clues as what to do?

I was not able to reproduce those "postgres idle in transaction" issues
that were already reported (#4347, #4987), but the upcoming 0.10.4
features an improved repository resync scheme and the old resync scheme
that it replaces was possibly the reason for those "idle in transaction"
connections, so I think it would be worth checking if this fixes the
problem for you.

We could probably prepare a 0.10.4rc1 package, but in the meantime you
can also install from sources, see:
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload#Tracstable

-- Christian

John Hampton

Mar 30, 2007, 11:58:01 AM3/30/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Christian Boos wrote:
> Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
>> hi,
>> i have been running trac .10 with postgres on a debian sarge box with
>> apache2 and mod_python. My box is freezing and i am finding hundreds
>> of processes or postgres idle in transaction from the trac database.
>> Is this a trac problem? any clues as what to do?

The other option is to set poolable = False in the
trac/db/postgres_backend.py. Just look for the line that says poolable
=True and switch it to False. Then restart your server. That cleared
up the 'idle in transaction' processes for me.

-John

Kenneth Gonsalves

Mar 30, 2007, 10:07:02 PM3/30/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

w00t - it is working - thanks

Brad Anderson

Mar 31, 2007, 10:17:28 AM3/31/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

> On 30-Mar-07, at 9:28 PM, John Hampton wrote:
>
>> Christian Boos wrote:
>> The other option is to set poolable = False in the
>> trac/db/postgres_backend.py. Just look for the line that says
>> poolable
>> =True and switch it to False. Then restart your server. That cleared
>> up the 'idle in transaction' processes for me.
>
> w00t - it is working - thanks

Cool. Please note that even after I set poolable = False I would still get
the error on occasion. I have yet to update my PROD server with Christian's
fix for multiple sync's, and when I do, hopefully the issue goes away forever.

BA