[Trac-dev] String freeze in preparation for 0.12b1

Christian Boos

Apr 28, 2010, 4:23:25 AM4/28/10
to Trac Development, fly...@gmail.com, jan...@webduo.pl, lau...@grauw.nl, gha...@gmail.com, mikko.ra...@peda.net, trai...@instigate.am, cra...@gmail.com, jo...@sindominio.net, zen...@gmail.com, hongs...@gmail.com, perm...@mesias.brnonet.cz, da...@cirt.net, chaves...@gmail.com, tmano...@knowledge.gr, pongrac...@startit.hu, peter...@vtav.hu, les...@watter.org, guil...@freedom.ind.br, Pedro Algarvio, ale...@gmail.com, vez...@gmail.com, raul....@degestec.com, mujda...@gmail.com, Lele Gaifax, Alexandr Prudnikov, Itamar O, felix....@oss.schwarz.eu, Mikael Relbe, die...@steloj.de, Omae, Jun
Dear fellow translators,

We're about to release Trac 0.12b1, which will be our first "release"
involving a translation effort.
Therefore, we don't have yet an established procedure for dealing with
translations and translators, but the usual thing to do is to provide a
"string freeze" period during which translators can finalize their
contributions, in order to reach 100% coverage of their message catalog.

I don't know how long this period should be, hopefully waiting a few
days from now will be enough, so that we can (at last!) release 0.12b1
at the end of this week. Indeed, we already have 5 languages at 100%.

After the beta1, we'll do the same and use a few days or a week of
string freeze before packaging rc1, although there will probably be only
a few updates in that period. For example, I'll try to add the common
workflow action and state names, along with defining a way to add extra
translations for custom action and state, through the trac.ini; there
will be also consolidation changes, like the one from
http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/9277.

If all goes well, there shouldn't be more than a week or two after the
beta1, before we release the rc1.
In the one week test period that will follow the rc1, we won't change
the strings either.

Recently, we have seen some tremendous activity around L10N, with no
less than 7 contributors gaining direct commit access to their
messages.po file (lgaifax - it, itamaro - he, fschwarz - de, mrelbe -
sv, wdiestel - eo, aprudnikov - ru, jomae - ja), more contributions
submitted via Transifex, and last but not least, seeing Remy helping me
to twist the code in order to get properly extracted msgids ;-)
So a big "thank you" to all who made this happen.

I've CC'ed all the people who are or were principal translators for one
language, in the hope to also get some updates for the all languages,
especially those which are still in dire need of care...

-- Christian