Re: [The Trac Project] #6423: Full diff option in changeset view

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven

Dec 3, 2007, 5:04:23 AM12/3/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
-On [20071203 10:58], The Trac Project (nor...@edgewall.com) wrote:
>Changes (by cboos):
>Comment:
>
> It already is: simply enter e.g. 'all' for the number of lines of context,
> or the empty string.
>
> And as surprising as it seems, it's even documented in
> TracChangeset#DiffViews.

Then I would like to raise an usability point:

if you see a textbox that contains a number and is labeled 'Show ... lines
around each change', then typing in the word 'all' seems a bit forced. From a
linguistic point of view it works, since the sentence would then read 'Show
all lines around each change', but it is not intuitive (documented or not).

In my opinion you violate the constraint of showing the user a number as a
default and allow a text option. What do others think?

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
I saw you born . . . when did you get so much older than me?

Emmanuel Blot

Dec 3, 2007, 5:16:12 AM12/3/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
> In my opinion you violate the constraint of showing the user a number as a
> default and allow a text option. What do others think?

I'll tend to agree. It looks like more like a command-line hack than
an intuitive GUI feature. Plus, there is no link to the documentation
page (TracChangeset#DiffViews), so it is unlikely that a regular user
finds the hidden syntax.

Cheers,
Manu

Christian Boos

Dec 3, 2007, 5:20:10 AM12/3/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> -On [20071203 10:58], The Trac Project (nor...@edgewall.com) wrote:
>
>> Changes (by cboos):
>> Comment:
>>
>> It already is: simply enter e.g. 'all' for the number of lines of context,
>> or the empty string.
>>
>> And as surprising as it seems, it's even documented in
>> TracChangeset#DiffViews.
>>

> Then I would like to raise an usability point:
>
> if you see a textbox that contains a number and is labeled 'Show ... lines
> around each change', then typing in the word 'all' seems a bit forced. From a
> linguistic point of view it works, since the sentence would then read 'Show
> all lines around each change', but it is not intuitive (documented or not).
>
> In my opinion you violate the constraint of showing the user a number as a
> default and allow a text option. What do others think?

Well, obviously with the multilingual support, this "Show _all_ " hack
is no longer going to make sense.
So feel free to propose a patch for 0.12.

-- Christian

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven

Dec 3, 2007, 5:45:49 AM12/3/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
-On [20071203 11:20], Christian Boos (cb...@neuf.fr) wrote:
>Well, obviously with the multilingual support, this "Show _all_ " hack
>is no longer going to make sense.

Hah, I did not even think of that yet. You got a good point there.

>So feel free to propose a patch for 0.12.

I'll see about that, yes.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/

Tonight your soul sleeps, but one day you will feel real pain, maybe
then you will see me as I am: a fragile wreck on a storm of emotion...