Timeline -> much slower

1 view

Emmanuel Blot

Feb 14, 2007, 6:09:00 PM2/14/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've upgraded our main server tonight [from trunk], and the rendering
for the Timeline view has suddenly become hardly usable.

From about 2-3 seconds with the previous version [4710], the rendering
now takes over 10 seconds [4757]. The server is running Apache
2.0.58/Python 2.4/mod_python, with a LDAP authentication backend and
SQLite for the DB backend.

I run a couple of test on my laptop and tracd a couple of minutes ago
with wget: w/ the very same Timeline events, it takes ~ 1.5 seconds to
retrieve the timeline with [4682], ~ 2.0 seconds with [4878]

I've run all the tests over 10 times for each configuration, and no
change has been made in the wiki or in the repository - so resync
should not be a source of slowness.

Is this a known issue?

Cheers,
Manu

Emmanuel Blot

Feb 14, 2007, 6:21:27 PM2/14/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
> Is this a known issue?

I should have mentionned that while the web client is waiting for the
server response, 'top' command shows that a single Apache process eats
up 99% of the CPU time [Pentium-III 1GHz] for 10 seconds.

Cheers,
Manu

Christian Boos

Feb 15, 2007, 4:37:51 AM2/15/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Emmanuel Blot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've upgraded our main server tonight [from trunk], and the rendering
> for the Timeline view has suddenly become hardly usable.
>
> >From about 2-3 seconds with the previous version [4710], the rendering
> now takes over 10 seconds [4757].

Ok, I've been able to identify the culprit... It's because r4737 and
4743 changed the way to produce the ticket summaries, by requiring the
ticket context's full-blown resource instead of the (already available)
ticket summary.
I expected some performance impact, but not that much, so I'll find a
way to fix that. Sorry for the inconvenience!

-- Christian

Emmanuel Blot

Feb 15, 2007, 5:02:51 AM2/15/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
> Sorry for the inconvenience!

Not a big deal: I just wanted to red-flag this issue before 0.11 release ;-)

Cheers,
Manu

Christian Boos

Feb 16, 2007, 10:41:43 AM2/16/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Emmanuel Blot wrote:
>> Sorry for the inconvenience!
>>

> Not a big deal: I just wanted to red-flag this issue before 0.11 release ;-)

Ok, this should be fixed with r4768, please try out.
I also tried to cache the resources, but the speed improvements were not
that great and I'm not sure of all the implications of such a cache, so
I finally didn't commit it.

If you have lots of attachments, #4312 will hurt the performance as well ...

-- Christian

Emmanuel Blot

Feb 16, 2007, 12:50:30 PM2/16/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

> Ok, this should be fixed with r4768, please try out.

Timeline rendering has decreased from 26.5 seconds down to 9.5
seconds, so this is a major improvement.

It still a bit slow, but it's much closer to the user experience we
were used to get before the regression. We probably need a faster
server though ;-)

Thanks a lot,
Manu

--