Please remove older subversion versions for 0.12 prerequisites.

Sam

Dec 18, 2010, 4:10:37 AM12/18/10
to Trac Development
Hello,
I've spent one day trying to get trac 0.12.x working with subversion
1.3.1.
On the target system I have no choice but to use 1.3.1.

On http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracInstall#OptionalDependencies it
is stated that "Older versions starting from 1.0, like 1.2.4, 1.3.2 or
1.4.2, etc. should still work. For troubleshooting information, check
the TracSubversion page."

For my case that seems wrong, the cause: the python svn bindings do
not compile all necessary functionality.
The trac file svn_fs.py uses since revision 10130 core functionality
like "svn_path_canonicalize" which does exist in svn 1.3.x but is
excluded from the swig wrapper, therefore missing in python binding.
Those funny things result always in an error like:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/trac/admin/console.py", line 107,
in onecmd
File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/trac/versioncontrol/svn_fs.py",
line 81, in _to_svn
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute
'svn_path_canonicalize'

I got the 1.3.1 and 1.3.2 source and checked that via
$ subversion-1.3.2/subversion/bindings/swig$ fgrep "canonicalize"
`find .`

and got no results.

I've tested 1.5.0 and also 1.4.0 which do deliver results for
canonicalize, therefore I assume that subversion prior to 1.4.0 won't
work.

I suggest to state a hint that at least <=1.3.x does not work on some
machines.

Thanks
Sam

Remy Blank

Dec 20, 2010, 3:51:51 AM12/20/10
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Sam wrote:
> I've tested 1.5.0 and also 1.4.0 which do deliver results for
> canonicalize, therefore I assume that subversion prior to 1.4.0 won't
> work.

Thanks for the analysis.

> I suggest to state a hint that at least <=1.3.x does not work on some
> machines.

I would just state that 1.4.x might still work, and remove any mention
of <1.4. Would you mind editing the page to integrate your findings?

Thanks!
-- Remy

signature.asc

Sam

Dec 20, 2010, 8:53:02 AM12/20/10
to Trac Development
Hello,
done. I was unsure editing the wiki since it might be just some issue
of my system.
But if others get it to work with < 1.4.0 they should tell that :)

Regards
Sam