Clarification: TortoiseCVS icon overlays conflict with TortoiseSVN

John M. Linebarger

Jun 21, 2009, 12:59:14 AM6/21/09
to d...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
To clarify a post I made an hour or so ago:  I've done more investigation, and the source of my problem is that TortoiseCVS directly conflicts with TortoiseSVN when it comes to the display of overlay icons on my Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2 machine.  I have the latest 64-bit versions of both programs installed, and no matter the order of installation, when both are installed TortoiseCVS wins.  No TortoiseSVN icons are displayed in Windows Explorer at all.
So I uninstalled TortoiseCVS (and got the TortoiseSVN icons back), and installed WinCVS instead.  Not an ideal solution, but it is functional, because a project I am on has several repositories, some CVS, some SVN.  Any fix to this problem on the horizon?  I saw some talk on Web postings about using common icon overlay handlers, but that does not seem to be the case for the current 64-bit versions.  TortoiseCVS is evidently too aggressive, and TortoiseSVN is too much of a good citizen.  ;)

Thanks!  Enjoy!

John M. Linebarger, PhD
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA

Stefan Küng

Jun 21, 2009, 1:42:14 AM6/21/09
to d...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

You can use the 'unstable' version of TCVS:
http://testpilot.tortoisecvs.org/

That one uses the TortoiseOverlays component we implemented so that all
Tortoise clients (SVN, Git, Hg, CVS, ...) can use the same overlay slots.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

signature.asc

M_Z

Jun 21, 2009, 10:21:53 AM6/21/09
to d...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Yes, but getting them to all use the same version of the DLL is
problematic... Tried installing TortoiseHg and its menu items wouldn't show
because that version was expecting 1.0.3 or 1.0.4, and TSVN had installed
1.0.5 already.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=757&dsMessageId=2363966

Stefan Küng

Jun 21, 2009, 10:25:37 AM6/21/09
to d...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
M_Z wrote:
> Yes, but getting them to all use the same version of the DLL is
> problematic... Tried installing TortoiseHg and its menu items wouldn't show
> because that version was expecting 1.0.3 or 1.0.4, and TSVN had installed
> 1.0.5 already.

If the menus don't show up, that's a different problem. The
TortoiseOverlays dll is *only* for the overlays. Menus and all the rest
is done in the corresponding app, not the shared overlays component.
Also, versioning isn't a problem because the TortoiseOverlays.dll
implements a simple COM object, and the Tortoise app don't even link to
it - they're called by that overlays component, not the other way around.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=757&dsMessageId=2363967

signature.asc