lee kucera

Feb 4, 2010, 5:54:13 PM2/4/10
to Bryson Perry, tinspire, ti-nspire...@googlegroups.com
From TI:

We have been made aware of an unauthorized posting of the updated OS for the TI-84+family on a website that is not affiliated with education.ti.com.

As tempting as it may be to download the OS, please refrain from downloading the OS from any website that is not housed under education.ti.com.

We expect that the OS will be available in the Downloads section of education.ti.com on February 15.

lee kucera
a.p. statistics

Most Wanted

Feb 4, 2010, 8:24:41 PM2/4/10
to tinspire
What's new in the OS? Anyone knows?

> leekuc...@gmail.com

Joe

Feb 5, 2010, 8:33:53 PM2/5/10
to tinspire
It is very interesting that TI would spend money updating the older
TI-84+ family because those calculators are competition for the newer
nspire products. If the update is significant, that would signal that
they don't envision cancelling older products in favor of the newer
nspire products, and that makes me wonder how long they will support
the low sales nspire family. Personally, I wish they would spend the
money improving the nspire family with things like step by step
solutions, color screen, built in battery charger, 3-d graphing of
multiple surfaces in color, a Voyage 300 nspire, input/output
statements, etc., which would cause nspire products to take over the
market of the older calculator designs, however clearly they have
declined to make such significant improvements. So one has to wonder
if TI see's the nspire program as a grand experiment that didnt' work
out, and will cut it just like they did Derive?

> leekuc...@gmail.com

Eric Findlay

Feb 5, 2010, 8:40:09 PM2/5/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
First of all, Joe, TI has said several times that the Nspire isn't
"competition" or meant to replace the 84 family. They're used for
different reasons, and right now, the 84 is still the most used graphing
calculator. This goes back to your other comment asking why companies
don't support older software. Your opinions are contradictory.

Secondly, the Nspire development team and the 84 development team are
different teams of people. It's possible for them to both work at the
same time.

--
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor
demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither

Most Wanted

Feb 6, 2010, 1:16:43 AM2/6/10
to tinspire
I don't think TI would ever try to develop step-by-step problem
solving b/c it would contradict to their philosophy (Ti calculators
are not answer boxes).
Furthermore, The Ti-Nspire cannot replace the current Ti-8X family
because the Nspire is a battery hog.

Most Wanted

Feb 6, 2010, 1:22:26 AM2/6/10
to tinspire
Instead of waiting for a "dream" calculator from TI which probably
won't become true in the near future, I have seen other options.
I myself don't have a PDA but I see a very good chance of having such
device to run Linux and a copy of Mathematica.
Of course, it's not comparable in speed to PC but hey, I have time to
wait for a few seconds more. I think it's the most feasible solution
for your need.

Joe

Feb 6, 2010, 8:09:35 AM2/6/10
to tinspire
Hi Eric Findlay,
With respect to your point about what TI said, obviously you are an
expert on such matters however may I point out that it is always wise
to take what a company says with a large dose of skepticism. That
what a company communicates publicly, is designed to further their
economic ambitions, and therefore is not necessarily indicative of the
truth of the matter? Now I realize that it is popular on this site to
be in lock step with TI, but lets not get carried away. It is obvious
to the most casual observer that in reality, nspire and the 83/84
products are indeed competing products regardless of what TI says.

No my opinions are not contradictory. You are making a broad sweeping
statement and in so doing, comparing apples to oranges. Windows xp
still offers many advantages and is still desirable and not obsolete.
But take an unbiased and realistic look at TI calculator products and
what do you see? They are all (including nspire) designs of a bygone
era. Perhaps you have noticed that even todays hand held electric
tooth brushes come with rechargable batteries and a battery charger
but not TI calculators. Color screens are standard on hand held
devices from video recorders to cell phones but there are no color
screens on any TI calculators and it would be difficult to find any up
to date math software that doesn't have excellent 3d graphing except
nspire products. They have none. There products suggest that TI is
out of touch with todays technology and needs to modernize their
products. In that regard it is my preference that they start with the
nspire products because of the faster processor.

Lastly I want to offer you a thought that doesn't seem to occur around
here. The better the TI products are, the more likely they are to
survive the competition. On the other hand if the nspire products get
canceled what kind of support do you think you will get for your
schools nspire calculators? Huh? And if that happens do you think
your school will ever let you spend another big chunk of money again?
It is in your best interests to urge TI to modernize their products
and, because they ignore the customer the only way to get that message
across is to do so repeatedly until they start making significant
improvements. To kick back and assume that it will happen naturally
is folly that amounts to nothing more than wishful thinking.

BTW have you actually seen a TI nspire or 84 calculator design team?
I think that might be a figment of peoples imagination. The credits
on my nspire Pc software suggest that work was contracted
out.

hastern

Feb 6, 2010, 10:11:38 AM2/6/10
to tinspire
re: battery hog?
that's not my experience. I've been using NiMH (notorious for short
shelf-life) in my class set of Nspire, and got from September to the
start of January. that with daily use of the handhelds.
that's with the current OS,set to power down after 1 minute and sleep
after 2 days. not sure how that will change now that I've attached the
Navigator cradles. I expect life will be about the same, since I
think the limiting factor is the NiMH shelf life, not the handheld
power consumption.

re: parallel universe
Eric, I'm sure you've realized by now that there are some posters on
this board who live in their own separate reality, and they love to
regale the rest of us with tales from their fantasy world.
I don't think it will every be possible to reconcile their world with
the one you and I live in.

re: upcoming Atlanta conference
it will be nice to go to Atlanta and catch up with those folks I got
to know on the Nspire and 84+ design teams. they're nice people.

Andy Kemp

Feb 6, 2010, 10:16:56 AM2/6/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Looking at what is in the update for the 84+ these feels like a fairly standard business practice of backporting some of the developments from a newer product.

All I could really see that had changed was the introduction of some of the pretty-print stuff for fractions and matrices...  I would assume that much of this is based upon work done for the Nspire, which has been repurposed to continue to support the current (large) TI84 userbase.  However it doesn't make a TI84 an Nspire, and I don't think it will have any significant impact on sales...

But that's just my take on things...

> leekuc...@gmail.com

hastern

Feb 6, 2010, 10:36:32 AM2/6/10
to tinspire
Andy:

The thought might also have been that if they can do pretty print on
the 30 and 34 multiview, why can't they do it on the 84+?

Andy Kemp

Feb 6, 2010, 10:38:31 AM2/6/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Indeed (Not had a chance to use the 30/34's as they are very rare in the UK)

Most Wanted

Feb 6, 2010, 2:09:13 PM2/6/10
to tinspire
Dear Hastern,

It was my experience with the Ti-NSpire CAS.
I used a set of rechargeable battery and it lasted about 3 weeks or
so.

Joe

Feb 6, 2010, 2:54:07 PM2/6/10
to tinspire
Re: Parallel Universe
Ok, so I pinched myself and cautiously took a look and I can report
that I was not dreaming. My electric tooth brush really does have a
built in rechargable battery! (As does my laptop, and my electric
shaver, and my netbook, and my cell phone, and my video camera.)
Whew, you had me worried for a second there, but it's nice to know
that my universe is in the 21st century. Now you have me wondering if
Apple uses throw away 1950's style batteries in their latest product?
Naw, they just wouldn't do that. ;})

re: upcoming Atlanta conference
Some of the nicest people I know are technologically challenged and
the kind thing to do is to encourage them to update their skills and
move into the 21st century. My how time flies. Can you believe that
the TI-84 with it's B&W screen and retro batteries, as a descendent of
the venerable TI-83, was designed in the last century and it still
outsells the nspire design? Me thinks that TI made a Boo-Boo, and
they are going to have to turn nspire into a more desirable product or
dump it.

> > because the Nspire is a battery hog.- Hide quoted text -

hastern

Feb 6, 2010, 3:59:13 PM2/6/10
to tinspire
Most Wanted:
Interesting that we're seeing such different results.
I've got numeric, not CAS. My cells (technically they aren't
batteries) are Duracell 1000 mAh, and I got them in spring 2009. I
expect that with age they'll die quicker and quicker, but for now, I'm
getting something like 4 times the life you get.
Is it possible that CAS draws that much more juice?

Eric Findlay

Feb 6, 2010, 5:24:22 PM2/6/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Joe, I have met some people on the Nspire design team, and according to
one of hastern's recent messages, he, too, has met people on both the
Nspire and 84 design teams.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor
demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither
height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to
separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Romans 8:38-39 (NIV)
--
Eric Findlay
AKA Eagle-Man

Most Wanted

Feb 7, 2010, 8:51:33 AM2/7/10
to tinspire
Dear Hastern,

I think with any given calculation, the CAS would attempt to compute
symbolically first, if fail, it will then try to produce a numerical
result.
Thus, more calculations needed in the CAS than in the regular one. But
ultimately, the result in batteries life should not be in much
different. I don't remember how different the batteries lives in the
Ti-89 Titanium compare to the Ti-84 Silver but I think the ratio is
close to that of the Nspire CAS vs Nspire respectively. Lastly, there
might be other factors such as batteries brands, capacities, charged
status (full, not full)...etc.

Nelson Sousa

Feb 7, 2010, 1:08:56 PM2/7/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Check that you have a recent OS. Versions 1.4, 1.6 and 1.7 each
increased the battery life. 3 weeks with NiMH batteries wasn't that
strange with older OSes.

Cheers,
Nelson

Message has been deleted

AdRiWeB

Feb 8, 2010, 6:13:11 AM2/8/10
to tinspire
Here are some screenshots :

http://img8. images hack.us /img8/6208/27796889481.jpg

Daniel Dudley

Feb 8, 2010, 9:03:33 PM2/8/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I was riding in my car the other day and had the radio turned off because...well the music stinks lately. Anyway, I was thinking about this thread. 20 years ago, when I owned my first Casio graphing calculator (being an early adopter, I was the only one in my school to have one), I couldn't imagine being able to hold a device such as the nspire. Unlike some on this list, I think that it is a great device that does what I want, however, now I can imagine a little bit of the future, and what I think would be great.

I would love to see textbooks be on a device like the Ipad. Our kids are being overburdened by textbooks that weigh about 3-5 pounds each. While there is nothing like holding paper sometimes, there is also nothing that can compare to being able to interact with the printed page. Imagine having a math page that had a 3-D graph on it and the students with their fingers could drag the graph around and see what it looks like. They could open another application and do an exploration. Nothing too novel here, given the interactive webpages out there. But here is where I think something else could be done. At the end of the lesson, the teacher could click on the assigned problems in his/her copy of the text on his computer. This could be sent out to the students copies, and the assignment would automatically appear in their planner. When the students are ready to do their assignment, they click on their assigned problems and do their work right on the tablet. If the problem needs a graph, then one would appear on their screen. The next day, the teacher can collect all of their work, instantly see which problems were not attempted, and those problems could be gone over. Further, problems could be randomized so that every student has a different assignment.

Wow, this sounds an awful like the navigator, but on steroids. Textbooks have become so expensive and heavy. If every textbook came to the students on PDF or something like it, then couldn't textbook companies put more effort into development and save a bunch of printing costs? Couldn't the texts be updated like other applications so that the student would have the latest version in their hands?

I am field testing a text for someone, and I would love to try to develop something like this for the text. Does any one know of an application that I could work with to develop such a beast? I am not much of a programmer. Would adobe acrobat be the beast? I know that Smartech (the makers of smartboards) has software that might do some of this called Synchronize, has anyone worked with this?

Any thoughts/ideas? I know that this isn't about the Nspire, so if anyone would like to discuss this outside of this list, please feel free to contact me through dan...@vvsaz.org. I would love to hear your thoughts.

________________________________

winmail.dat

Ross

Feb 8, 2010, 9:54:12 PM2/8/10
to tinspire
Well, I currently have all of my textbooks on my Amazon Kindle, so it
makes lugging my backpack around everywhere much easier. It also
makes it so that I don't accidentally forget any textbook :)

> Any thoughts/ideas?  I know that this isn't about the Nspire, so if anyone would like to discuss this outside of this list, please feel free to contact me through dani...@vvsaz.org.  I would love to hear your thoughts.
>
> ________________________________
>
>  winmail.dat
> 7KViewDownload

matin

Feb 9, 2010, 7:31:37 AM2/9/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
ANYONE KNOW where i can found high quality photo (image)of ti nspire cas i want make proselyte thanks

Nelson Sousa

Feb 9, 2010, 7:44:59 AM2/9/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
did you try looking on google images? I'm sure you'll find a bunch of
them. Be sure to ask permission to its owner if the image is
copyrighted, though.

Nelson

matin

Feb 9, 2010, 8:36:40 AM2/9/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
yes but i didnt founf very GOOD quality

Andy Kemp

Feb 9, 2010, 8:39:53 AM2/9/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
This was the first one I found on Google Images and it HUGE and good quality:
http://wildaboutmath.com/images/TI%20Nspire%20CAS.jpg

matin

Feb 9, 2010, 8:57:21 AM2/9/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
thank you

Sean Bird

Feb 9, 2010, 8:55:00 PM2/9/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
One of my favorite images of the Nspire is found of flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankldw/3710004017/

hastern

Feb 15, 2010, 12:15:03 PM2/15/10
to tinspire
The new OS is posted, as expected, in the downloads section. Note
that many of the pages still refer to the older v 2.43, but the actual
file is the new one v 2.53.

Joe

Feb 15, 2010, 12:33:43 PM2/15/10
to tinspire
What are the significant changes?

> > leekuc...@gmail.com- Hide quoted text -

T Tran

Feb 15, 2010, 12:45:56 PM2/15/10
to tinspire

Andy Kemp

Feb 15, 2010, 12:57:12 PM2/15/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Most significant improvement is the introduction of some pretty-print templates to the 84...

matin

Feb 15, 2010, 1:01:10 PM2/15/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
thank you

Feb 15, 2010, 1:06:05 PM2/15/10
to tinspire
I don't really have anything to say, but wanted to change the thread
title back to its original title.

Sean Bird

Feb 15, 2010, 2:29:13 PM2/15/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I posted a little description and some screen shots of what is interesting about the 84 (and how it has adopted some of the nice things about the TI-Nspire)
http://bird-godlydominion.blogspot.com/

Sean Bird

Andy Kemp

Feb 15, 2010, 2:36:05 PM2/15/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Very useful overview!  Thanks for putting it together...

Joe

Feb 15, 2010, 5:45:00 PM2/15/10
to tinspire
Thanks Sean, I look forward to seeing what you will put together for
the next nspire/nspire cas updates. Again, thanks.

Andy Kemp

Feb 16, 2010, 5:51:47 AM2/16/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Not specifically on topic (i.e. not about Nspire) but:

Does anyone have any advice on how to update 30 or so TI84's to the new OS, and install a specific set of approved apps (i.e. remove all currently installed apps, replace OS and install the allowed apps)

Any advice?

Cheers
Andy

Nelson Sousa

Feb 16, 2010, 6:23:58 AM2/16/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Only using exponential growth:
- update calc #1 from the computer;
- update cals #2 and #3 using the computer and calc #1;
- update calcs #4 to #7
- etc...

For 30 calculators it should take a little over 30 minutes.

Cheers,
Nelson

PS: a long, long time ago I had to update 30 Nspires and I used this
method; I had 8 unit-to-unit cables, it was really fun to connect and
disconnect them as the updates were finishing :)

Andy Kemp

Feb 16, 2010, 6:31:10 AM2/16/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nelson, but does this still need me to do 3 separate steps on each handheld:

  • Remove Apps
  • Upgrade OS
  • Install Apps...
I guess what I was hoping for (but probably isn't possible) is some way to form an 'image' for a correctly setup calc and then copy this to each handset...

However I guess this isn't going to be possible!

Nelson Sousa

Feb 16, 2010, 7:02:31 AM2/16/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
why do you need to remove the apps beforehand?

To install new apps you can use connect-to-class, right?

Nelson

Andy Kemp

Feb 16, 2010, 7:09:40 AM2/16/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I need to get the TI84's ready for their IB exams in the summer (so may as well do all of this at once).  The IB only allow access to a very limited set of Apps (PolySmlt (or2); CatHelp and language packs only...)  Which means I have to remove a lot of the preinstalled apps...

Does C2C work with the 84, I thought it was Nspire only...

Cheers,
Andy

Nelson Sousa

Feb 16, 2010, 7:13:12 AM2/16/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
oh, ok.

The fastest way to remove all apps is by going to the mem menu and
choosing Reset - All. After 2 or 3 units you'll know the keystroke
sequence by heart. Just lay down the calculators side by side and
think of it as if you were working in an assembly line ;)

Once you reach the end you can start all over again installing the OS
upgrade using the exponential growth method. Then install the apps you
want using the same method.

I think resetting all memory and then installing apps all over again
is faster (and far less annoying) than the painfully slow app-by-app
delete of the 84 Plus.

Cheers,
Nelson

hastern

Feb 16, 2010, 9:44:30 AM2/16/10
to tinspire
Does Connect to Class work on 84+?

You could dummy up a network with silver link cables and use Navigator
(the original one) to send out OS and apps. It doesn't always play
nicely with too many USB connections, but even if you can do two at a
time, that'll be better than TI-Connect.

My favorite way to remove all except a select list of approved apps is
TestGuard 2. You don't even need to open the case to turn them on.
Just plug in and go.

Teresa Stephens

Feb 16, 2010, 4:04:39 PM2/16/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this post.  I found it very useful.

Daniel Dudley

Feb 17, 2010, 10:16:47 AM2/17/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com

Does one update the nspire 84 faceplate the same way as the 84?  Or is it not possible to update the 84 faceplate?

Dan

Nelson Sousa

Feb 17, 2010, 10:19:46 AM2/17/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
no. you'll have to wait until an Nspire update includes the new 84+ os.

Nelson

Peter Petto

Feb 17, 2010, 9:04:46 PM2/17/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
From: Peter Petto <ppe...@ppetto.com>
Date: February 17, 2010 8:51:25 PM EST
Subject: Re: [tinspire] New 84+ OS

I've had a big issue updating SmartView (Mac OS X) and a little issue updating SmartView (Windows XP) to the new 84+ os.

XP took the new OS, but it chokes midway through the nice new help file that shows all of the function parameters when you push "+"  Any ideas?

My Mac seemed to take both. But when I fired it up yesterday, it seems like everything is hosed. I see the calculator, and it looks like I am pressing keys, but nothing on the display or keystroke history. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling; same story.

Where does the new os file go on the Mac when I load it? (I'd like to delete it.)

I'd really appreciate any & all help & advice.

  Peter++

===

Peter Petto <mis...@mathlore.net>
Lakewood High School (OH)  440.249.4289

lee kucera

Feb 18, 2010, 1:39:17 AM2/18/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Peter:
What Mac OS are you running? SmartView is working just fine on my MacBook running Snow Leopard.  It did not seem as happy on my older G4 running 10.4 at school.
lk

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
http://lafacroft.com/archive/nspire.php

lee kucera
a.p. statistics

Peter Petto

Feb 18, 2010, 5:01:39 AM2/18/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com, lee kucera
I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on a three-year old MacBook Pro. I can the machine from a week-old backup that's on an external drive (that is pre-new os-update) and it runs fine as it always has.

It is unclear to me what file got munged during the backup, or where SmartView stores its state files.

(I'll probably give TI a call today or tomorrow.)

Thanks.

   Peter++

Peter:
What Mac OS are you running? SmartView is working just fine on my MacBook running Snow Leopard.  It did not seem as happy on my older G4 running 10.4 at school.
lk

Steve Arnold

Feb 22, 2010, 4:03:51 PM2/22/10
to tinspire
Hi Peter

A SmartView user can return to the OS that originally came with SmartView by using Tools – Restore Default State.

Also, I understand that you also need to have updated Catalog Help to version 1.1.  You need that to run with 2.53MP.

Hope this helps,

Steve

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
http://lafacroft.com/archive/nspire.php

--
With best wishes,
Steve

T3 Fellow, Teachers Teaching with Technology Australia

Office: +61-2-4232-2080
Mobile: +61-4-0175-3834
Web: http://compasstech.com.au
This conversation is locked