next OS for the Nspire CX

Lana Golembeski

Jan 20, 2012, 8:20:16 PM1/20/12
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I just talked with my TI Rep today and he said that the new OS would be out in the summer! We will get the capability of easily typing subscripts on our variables. I did not find out what else was new but it appeared that there would some nice features.

--
Lana Golembeski
AP Calculus Teacher

Travis Bower

Jan 20, 2012, 9:51:33 PM1/20/12
to tins...@googlegroups.com
With Apple's big iBook push, I hope there will be an iPad Nspire app to be revealed in Chicago.  Maybe that's just fanciful wishful dreaming.  Also, hopefully TI and Pearson/other Publishers are weaving an iMath book with interactive Nspire activities.  Hhmmm, maybe DocPlayer already works on iPad?
Always something to look forward to!

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-abouttime

Lana Golembeski

Jan 20, 2012, 10:16:04 PM1/20/12
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Well at my high school, we are doing an ipad pilot. All the 9th graders have ipads. And because I have some 9th graders, I now have an ipad. Being the one person in the math dept who enjoys technology, I have looked into a few things on using it when I am the only one in my calculus classes who has an ipad. Anyway, Splashtop App is wonderful! It allows me to put my desktop on my ipad. So, I can walk around the room and operate ANYTHING on my desktop...and even my P drive and S (the shared drive). I have access to everything. So, I can bring up my CAS teacher software and operate the calculator on my ipad. So the students can do that too!. They LOVE it! So, in a sense, I do have a TI calculator on my iPad. They love being the "presenter"...and it is a lot cheaper than Navigator (which I also love).

Just one final note, I am not that great with the Nspire. However, I would NEVER go back to the 84 after I have learned the basics of the Nspire. My PreAlgebra students have NO fear of the Nspire while the calculus students shy away from it.So interesting to see that kind of dynamic. I love how the calculator finds intersection points and zeroes...the different colors make things much more accessible to the students. I just wish my math dept would be receptive to the Nspire but they simply are not. I offer to help them...etc....but because we are so stressed with all the technology, they simply don't have the time to learn one more thing.

And also the TI Rep said that the only reason there is no touchscreen is because of the standardized tests. If those tests allow for a touchscreen, I am sure TI will come out with one.

Just some food for thought!
Lana

Travis Bower

Jan 20, 2012, 11:05:23 PM1/20/12
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I too have Splashtop, but found using a wireless mouse was a better tool.  I'll try it again just in case it has improved.  Thanks for mentioning ti.

Lana Golembeski

Jan 20, 2012, 11:14:07 PM1/20/12
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Works great for me!!

Sent from my iPhone
Lana

Tycho Brahe

Jan 21, 2012, 9:24:20 AM1/21/12
to tinspire
I wonder if the testing authorities would accept a calculator that had
a touch screen yet the touch capabilities became disabled when PTT was
enabled ? That would be a good compromise, although TI would have to
still include the touchpad.

On Jan 20, 9:16 pm, Lana Golembeski <golem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And also the TI Rep said that the only reason there is no touchscreen is
> because of the standardized tests. If those tests allow for a touchscreen,
> I am sure TI will come out with one.
>
> Just some food for thought!
> Lana
>

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Travis Bower <tbo...@dphs.org> wrote:
> > With Apple's big iBook push, I hope there will be an iPad Nspire app to be
> > revealed in Chicago.  Maybe that's just fanciful wishful dreaming.  Also,
> > hopefully TI and Pearson/other Publishers are weaving an iMath book with
> > interactive Nspire activities.  Hhmmm, maybe DocPlayer already works on
> > iPad?
> > Always something to look forward to!
>
> > On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Lana Golembeski <golem...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Hi! I just talked with my TI Rep today and he said that the new OS would
> >> be out in the summer! We will get the capability of easily typing
> >> subscripts on our variables. I did not find out what else was new but it
> >> appeared that there would some nice features.
>
> >> --
> >> Lana Golembeski
> >> AP Calculus Teacher
> >> College Board Consultant
> >> Minnetonka High School
> >> Minnetonka, Mn
>
> >>  --
> >> The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
>
> >>https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-ab...
>
> >  --
> > The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
>
> >https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-ab...

Jim Fullerenex

Jan 21, 2012, 4:45:56 PM1/21/12
to tins...@googlegroups.com
And the new OS kills off Ndless again (highly likely). And everything goes all over again. I'm so tired of the cycle. ;(

Best,
Jim

Eric Findlay

Jan 21, 2012, 11:48:34 PM1/21/12
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I don't think any manufacturer would actually make that device, since the main purpose of a touchscreen is for navigational purposes so they can increase the size of the screen via the removal of the other hardware navigation methods.

Take the iPhone, iPad, Blackberry Torch, etc. Would they be nearly as popular or effective if they had an additional "backup" navigation method? If the iPad had a proper keyboard? If the iPhone had a directional pad on it? No, because this would defeat the purpose of the touchscreen.

If there is a hardware method of navigation that functions perfectly well and is very easy to use, which it would have to be since the main method of using the device would be the touchscreen, then
a) why use the touchscreen in the first place? People would have to learn two completely different methods of using the calculator, and people complain about the Nspire being "complicated" enough already.
b) Having a different method of navigation and use in PTT mode would be like having a different calculator on the test. As a teacher, I always tell students that it is better to have their own calculator than to keep borrowing one in class because they need to know how to use the device inside out, otherwise it will just slow them down on a test.

I think that companies know this, which is why they design their touch-enabled devices like they do, so I doubt they would make the kind of calculator you describe.

--Eric

> https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-abouttime

Joe

Jan 22, 2012, 1:17:18 PM1/22/12
to tinspire
"  If the iPad had a proper keyboard?". I use several desktops, my
NetBook, and iPad, sometimes switching between them multiple times
during the day and my experience is that except for typing messages of
more than a few lines the iPad touch screen is the fastest and most
convenient to use. Since a calculator is not meant for word
processing, a quality touch screen is ideal for calculators and I
emphasize the word quality. BTW, are you aware that there is a
standard sized mechanical keyboard available for the iPad that
connects using bluetooth? It is ideal for typing long documents and
assisting those who are adverse to the convenience of the touch
screen. Of course nothing like that can help the testing authorities
who are stuck in the past. Have you looked at any of the iPad
calculator apps? The space time calculator for instance has an
excellent cas and the handheld (iPad in this case) can be used for
other things such as storing digital textbooks. That provides for
significant savings to the school along updating the schools math
department to more modern hardware.

On Jan 21, 8:48 pm, Eric Findlay <eagle-...@duetsoftware.net> wrote:
> I don't think any manufacturer would actually make that device, since the main purpose of a touchscreen is for navigational purposes so they can increase the size of the screen via the removal of the other hardware navigation methods.
>
> Take the iPhone, iPad, Blackberry Torch, etc.  Would they be nearly as popular or effective if they had an additional "backup" navigation method?  If the iPad had a proper keyboard?  If the iPhone had a directional pad on it?  No, because this would defeat the purpose of the touchscreen.
>
> If there is a hardware method of navigation that functions perfectly well and is very easy to use, which it would have to be since the main method of using the device would be the touchscreen, then
> a) why use the touchscreen in the first place?  People would have to learn two completely different methods of using the calculator, and people complain about the Nspire being "complicated" enough already.
> b) Having a different method of navigation and use in PTT mode would be like having a different calculator on the test.  As a teacher, I always tell students that it is better to have their own calculator than to keep borrowing one in class because they need to know how to use the device inside out, otherwise it will just slow them down on a test.
>
> I think that companies know this, which is why they design their touch-enabled devices like they do, so I doubt they would make the kind of calculator you describe.
>
>   --Eric
>
> >https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-ab...

PyramidPower

Jan 24, 2012, 12:41:39 AM1/24/12
to tinspire
I would like the next OS to allow graphing x=constant or even better,
x=f(y). this would make linear programming easier.

And in the "hopefuly near future" I would love to see the screen of
the next TI-Nspire using OLED technology.

Eric Findlay

Jan 24, 2012, 1:19:43 AM1/24/12
to tins...@googlegroups.com
While very neat, OLED would be a hardware change, requiring yet ANOTHER different Nspire to purchase. No thanks.

--Eric

Lana Golembeski

Jan 24, 2012, 7:01:00 AM1/24/12
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Yes you will be able to graph x=constant

Sent from my iPhone
Lana

> https://sites.google.com/site/tinspiregroup/classroom-news/welcome-abouttime

Joe

Jan 24, 2012, 12:27:34 PM1/24/12
to tinspire
True and keep in mind that an nspire app for iPad would be very very
popular, and keep TI in the game as technology in the class room
shifts to tablets. The situation reminds me of Poloroid. As
photography technology shifted to digital Poloroid resisted the change
because it would hurt their income from the chemical film business.
As a result of this resistance to change, they have recently declared
bankruptcy. I see a similar situation with technology in the
classroom shifting to tablets and digital books. TI can embrace this
change with calculator apps or be forced out of the calculator
business as schools upgrade their technology to take advantage of the
savings. Keep in mind that the savings that digital books on tablets
provide are what is driving this technology transition. Is your
school going to spend money on iPads AND nspires? Probably not.

On Jan 23, 10:19 pm, Eric Findlay <eagle-...@duetsoftware.net> wrote:
> While very neat, OLED would be a hardware change, requiring yet ANOTHER different Nspire to purchase.  No thanks.
>
>   --Eric

schere...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2012, 2:40:19 PM1/24/12
to tinspire
I agree with Joe. They should focus on applications for smart phones and tablets. Unfortunately touch screens will not be permitted on state examinations. So unless they change their practice they may well be history.  What happened to the Commodore computers? They were once leaders in technology in the classroom. I hope someone from TI is monitoring this site.

alcoonslists

Jan 26, 2012, 7:45:39 AM1/26/12
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Am I missing it or is there no random chi-square function which returns random members of a given chi-square distribution given a df?  Sure would like this to do simulations?

Thanks,

Al

Al Coons
Department of Mathematics
Buckingham Browne & Nichols
Cambridge, MA

alcoonslists

Jan 26, 2012, 10:08:21 AM1/26/12
to tinspire
When using the Nspire Software most of the standard keyboard shortcuts follow the traditional Macintosh convention:

So Command-N for a new document,
then work on the document, and
Command-W to close the window, but then
the sensible message "Do you want to save before this document is closed" Yes, No, Cancel
requires the Option-y for yes, option-n for no.
This seems to be a vestige from Windows and while it seems so minor, I do it 50 times a day and always have to think about it and then find the option-key. The traditional Mac response is command-Y or command-N.

Al

Jim Fullerenex

Jan 26, 2012, 3:54:13 PM1/26/12
to tins...@googlegroups.com
To my knowledge, no. But that's a good point for future updates.

2012/1/26 alcoonslists <alcoon...@verizon.net>

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at

Wayne Pace

Jan 26, 2012, 6:16:27 PM1/26/12
to tins...@googlegroups.com

It is known that the sum of the squares of m standard normal random variables is chi-square with m degrees of freedom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi-squared_distribution

Therefore, one method to generate a random sample from a chi-square distribution with m degrees of freedom would be to generate m samples from a standard normal and then sum the squares of the m samples.  For example, to generate a random sample from a chi-square with 25 degrees of freedom, the following command could be used on the Nspire:

Sum(randnorm(0,1,25)^2).

Wayne

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at

alcoonslists

Jan 26, 2012, 6:46:00 PM1/26/12
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Wayne.   That is my fall back method but since I want a sample of 1000 for a given df and then use a slider to change the df and quickly see the new shape and mean of the distribution, my best guess is that this is way too slow on the HH.  I am doing this on Fathom presently.

Al
Albert Coons
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School
Gerry's Landing Road