Freeze on update to OS2.1

Dave K

Aug 31, 2010, 7:20:13 AM8/31/10
to tinspire
Hi

I have 2 students who have tried to update their blue clickpad nspires
to OS v2.1. The updaes seem to run smoothly but on turning the
calculators on, the loading operating system bar reaches all the way
across (i.e. 100%) and then it all just freezes.

I've tried reloading the OS twice on each from my computer with no
joy. Has anyone got any ideas?

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated

Sean Bird

Aug 31, 2010, 7:42:58 AM8/31/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I did see this on one unit when I was going from a handheld to handheld, but when I tried again going from computer to handheld it worked great. (I'm pretty confident I just used the software and not the Nspire Nav to do that student's handheld. I do know that in all the many units that I updated with the Navigator the issue never came up.) I may have used the 'hard reset' -
First turn off the unit and remove all batteries; then re-install them and
a) On the Clickpad press Home+Enter+P and On all at the same time.
b) With the Touchpad press Doc+EE+Enter and On all at the same time.

Hope that helps

Nelson Sousa

Aug 31, 2010, 9:00:10 AM8/31/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com

and from that menu select the option to delete the operating system. Then re-install.

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
http://lafacroft.com/archive/nspire.php

jamie

Aug 31, 2010, 9:13:02 AM8/31/10
to tinspire
I've had similar issues when updating student calculators. The problem
seems to be that v2.1 cannot be installed on a handheld running v1.x;
i.e. you need to update the handheld to v2.0 before trying to install
v2.1. This makes the update process quite a lengthy process. The
quickest method which I have found for doing the update on handhelds
running v1.x is to do the update to v2.0 first using NspireLink, then
to use the TE software to transfer v2.1 to multiple handhelds at one
time.

You'll need to do the hard reset which Sean has outlined.

Hope this helps.

Dave K

Aug 31, 2010, 9:45:27 AM8/31/10
to tinspire
I see - thanks for all the replies. I've done the hard reset and the
update to v2.1 but without success. I suspect it is because the
handhelpds had v1.x on, and not 2.0.

I need to get 2.0.- any ideas where I can get it from?

Cheers for all the help

Nelson Sousa

Aug 31, 2010, 9:50:52 AM8/31/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com

you shouldn't need it.
anyway, if that is the problem you can first delete the OS from the maintenance menu (see Sean's reply), then install 2.1. That must work.

Nelson

Dave K

Aug 31, 2010, 10:57:57 AM8/31/10
to tinspire
Nooe, doesn't work. Tried it on a mac now with same results. Would
like to try the ver 2.0 now - can anyone help please?

On Aug 31, 3:50 pm, Nelson Sousa <nso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> you shouldn't need it.
> anyway, if that is the problem you can first delete the OS from the
> maintenance menu (see Sean's reply), then install 2.1. That must work.
>
> Nelson
>

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 14:45, Dave K <kelso.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I see - thanks for all the replies. I've done the hard reset and the
> > update to v2.1 but without success. I suspect it is because the
> > handhelpds had v1.x on, and not 2.0.
>
> > I need to get 2.0.- any ideas where I can get it from?
>
> > Cheers for all the help
>
> > On Aug 31, 3:13 pm, jamie <jcoven...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I've had similar issues when updating student calculators. The problem
> > > seems to be that v2.1 cannot be installed on a handheld running v1.x;
> > > i.e. you need to update the handheld to v2.0 before trying to install
> > > v2.1. This makes the update process quite a lengthy process. The
> > > quickest method which I have found for doing the update on handhelds
> > > running v1.x is to do the update to v2.0 first using NspireLink, then
> > > to use the TE software to transfer v2.1 to multiple handhelds at one
> > > time.
>
> > > You'll need to do the hard reset which Sean has outlined.
>
> > > Hope this helps.

Levak Borok

Aug 31, 2010, 11:02:21 AM8/31/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com

Dave K

Aug 31, 2010, 11:24:37 AM8/31/10
to tinspire
Great - used these and it does work.

Just to rehash to help anyone else, calculators froze on being updated
from v1.x to 2.1

You have to install v2.0 first.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Calculators are breathing again.

Debbie

Aug 31, 2010, 1:10:36 PM8/31/10
to tinspire
I had the same problem with a few of my students' handhelds. Spent a
bit of time on the phone with the folks at TI-Cares. It turns out
that if the TI-Nspire unit has not been upgraded in a while
(especially with an OS before 1.7) it is too big a jump to go all the
way to OS 2.1.

So TI-Cares sent me OS 2.0 and we did a two-step upgrade. Worked
like a charm. First upgrade to 2.0 and then upgrade to 2.1

Here's another reason to convince students to apply OS upgrades when
they are available.

On Aug 31, 1:42 am, Sean Bird <covenantb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did see this on one unit when I was going from a handheld to handheld, but
> when I tried again going from computer to handheld it worked great. (I'm
> pretty confident I just used the software and not the Nspire Nav to do that
> student's handheld. I do know that in all the many units that I updated with
> the Navigator the issue never came up.) I may have used the 'hard reset' -
> First turn off the unit and remove all batteries; then re-install them and
> a) On the Clickpad press Home+Enter+P and On all at the same time.
> b) With the Touchpad press Doc+EE+Enter and On all at the same time.

Levak Borok

Aug 31, 2010, 1:26:08 PM8/31/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
If TI doesn't make the user its own we shouldn't be there...
Think that one "hidden" thing that bring the OS 2.1 is an anti-downgrade protection for OS<1.7
This is just a shame.
Hope for us that TI-community has programmed Nleach and TNOC.

Xavier Andréani

Aug 31, 2010, 1:51:33 PM8/31/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Let's be more specific than TI-Cares. The problem has nothing to do with the 1.7 OS.

If a basic TI-Nspire handheld has never been updated with an OS 1.4 or higher, trying to install OS 2.1 will result in a freeze when the "loading OS" progress bar reaches 100%.

This is because the boot2 version is 1.1. If you had installed an OS 1.4 or higher, the boot2 would have been updated to version 1.4.

The problem doesn't occur on the TI-Nspire CAS handhelds.

To install the 2.1 OS on a basic TI-Nspire which has never been updated to an OS 1.4 or higher, you will need to:
1) Install an OS 1.4 to 2.0.
2) Install OS 2.1.

This is one of the bugs introduced with the 2.1 OS...
Better not install it.

Xavier

> Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:10:36 -0700
> Subject: [tinspire] Re: Freeze on update to OS2.1
> From: dk...@sacredhearts.org
> To: tins...@googlegroups.com

Dave K

Aug 31, 2010, 2:45:01 PM8/31/10
to tinspire
That's interesting. The obvious question is therefore why doesn't the
v2.1 update test to see if boot2 v1.4 is installed before doing the
update.

Or alternatively why doesn't TI make this clear when downloading the
update (if it does I can't find it) and make an earlier version
available so people like me don't get into such a mess.

By the way, great support on the forum.

Xavier Andréani

Aug 31, 2010, 4:31:38 PM8/31/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
> That's interesting. The obvious question is therefore why doesn't the
> v2.1 update test to see if boot2 v1.4 is installed before doing the
> update.

Because it's a bug...
The 1.1 boot2 is able to boot all non-CAS OSes up to 2.0, and all CAS OSes.
A bug is unexpected. You cannot test for something unexpected.

> Or alternatively why doesn't TI make this clear when downloading the
> update (if it does I can't find it) and make an earlier version
> available so people like me don't get into such a mess.

OSes 1.7, 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 are still available on the TI web site, but through non-public links.
Those links aren't mentionned anywhere on the TI web site.

Sincerely,

Xavier

> Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:45:01 -0700

> Subject: [tinspire] Re: Freeze on update to OS2.1

hastern

Sep 18, 2010, 10:26:19 PM9/18/10
to tinspire
Oh dear. I'd forgotten this issue. Found three handhelds put away in
a drawer, and now I've got the "freeze on reboot" issue.

I understand I first need to update to a 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, or 1.7. But
how do I get the frozen handheld to accept a file transfer?

Thanks folks.

Sean Bird

Sep 18, 2010, 11:18:04 PM9/18/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I think you'll need to
First turn off the unit and remove all batteries; then re-install them and
a) On the Clickpad press Home+Enter+P and On all at the same time.
b) With the Touchpad press Doc+EE+Enter and On all at the same time.
With the OS removed it is ready to receive an new one.

-Sean Bird
http://covenantchristian.org/bird/

hastern

Sep 19, 2010, 7:26:25 AM9/19/10
to tinspire
Thanks, Sean. That's it.
Got to add this to my "things I infrequently need to know about Nspire
so I forget all the time" file.

On Sep 18, 11:18 pm, Sean Bird <covenantb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you'll need to
> First turn off the unit and remove all batteries; then re-install them and
> a) On the Clickpad press Home+Enter+P and On all at the same time.
> b) With the Touchpad press Doc+EE+Enter and On all at the same time.
> With the OS removed it is ready to receive an new one.
>
> -Sean Birdhttp://covenantchristian.org/bird/

DBeth

Sep 20, 2010, 1:33:55 PM9/20/10
to tinspire
THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!

I ordered a bunch of touchpads for my students that had the old
clickpad models last week. All of the touchpads (just the
touchpads...not the whole handheld) came in today, but I needed to
update a few student handhelds still. So..........I got the dreaded
freeze at 100%.

I tried Sean's wipe and re-install method, and I'm still getting the
freeze. Should I try to install a different OS first before going to
2.1?

Sean Bird

Sep 20, 2010, 3:31:37 PM9/20/10
to tins...@googlegroups.com