RSS generation plugin

Evan

Sep 23, 2008, 1:00:19 PM9/23/08
to TiddlyWiki
I've been told this is the best place to put this request, I also
searched around a bit, and couldn't find anything similar, so here
goes.

I use tiddlyWiki as a CMS for my website, I want to offer an RSS feed
to go with it, but the built in generation is poor. When I add a new
page to my site, I also edit several other pages to add links to it,
and I do not want RSS items generated based on menu changes. There are
many other circumstances in which RSS items should not be generated.

Could somebody please write a plugin that generates a list of all new/
edited tiddlers, with a check-box next to each on saving. The user
should then be able to tick which items they want a feed item created
for, click continue, then it generates the feed.

Eric Shulman

Sep 23, 2008, 1:55:36 PM9/23/08
to TiddlyWiki
> Could somebody please write a plugin that generates a list of all new/
> edited tiddlers, with a check-box next to each on saving. The user
> should then be able to tick which items they want a feed item created
> for, click continue, then it generates the feed.

http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#ExportTiddlersPlugin

provides a fully-interactive 'control panel' that lets you select
tiddlers in the current document and write them into another file.
ExportTiddlersPlugin can generate *four* different output file formats
containing the selected tiddlers:

* a complete stand-alone TiddlyWiki document. Once written, this file
is immediately ready to be opened in your browser and used as a fully
functional TiddlyWiki document.

* a "PureStore" TiddlyWiki document, containing just the tiddler data
(plus a little bit of CSS for formatting), but *not* the TW core
code. This file cannot be opened as a stand-alone TiddlyWiki, but
*can* still be used as a source for *importing* tiddlers via the
"backstage>import" command (or using TiddlyTools' ImportTiddlersPlugin
control panel). PureStore files can be used as convenient archives
for off-loading and saving 'retired' tiddlers, or as a means of
packaging and distributing tiddlers to others by exchanging files via
email, shared server, etc.

* a plain-text document, similar to the PureStore content, but using a
simple text format. Plain text files cannot be imported into another
TW document, but are still very useful for moving tiddler data into
other applications (or custom 'shell scripts') that can read the plain
text content and convert it into some kind of internal, application-
specific data representation.

and, for your purposes:

* an RSS file. The selected tiddlers are written as XML-formatted
content, suitable for use by most RSS feed readers. This file
format is the same as the format of the RSS file generated by the
core's "chkGenerateAnRssFeed" option. However, unlike the core's RSS
generator, which selects all changed tiddlers automatically,
ExportTiddlersPlugin lets you manually choose the tiddlers you want to
include in the RSS feed. QED.

enjoy,
-e
Eric Shulman
TiddlyTools / ELS Design Studios

wolfgang

Sep 23, 2008, 1:55:40 PM9/23/08
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Evan,

though I'm really ignorant about Rss, nevertheless, here a couple of
plugin which might fit your bill:

http://tiddlywiki.bidix.info/#GenerateRssByTagPlugin
http://tiddlywiki.bidix.info/#GenerateRssHijack
http://tw.lewcid.org/sandbox/#MultiRssPlugin
http://www.potto.client.jp/#RSSMyTiddlersPatch

Regards,

W.

Evan

Sep 23, 2008, 4:45:32 PM9/23/08
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the link Eric, this is an improvement, and I will implement
it. It is not perfect, as I need to find the interface every time I
want to create a feed, but it's functional and better than the core
functionality.