pixReadFromTiffStream: failed to read tiffdata

Nicolas Raoul

Feb 25, 2011, 3:15:18 AM2/25/11
to tesseract-ocr
I get the following error on a TIFF created from a PDF by ImageMagick:

tesseract file.tiff ocred -l eng
Tesseract Open Source OCR Engine with Leptonica
TIFFstream: Sorry, can not handle image.
Error in pixReadFromTiffStream: failed to read tiffdata
Error in pixReadStreamTiff: pix not read
Error in pixReadTiff: pix not read

TIFF created from a PDF with ImageMagick:
convert file.pdf -depth 4 file.tiff

TIFF information (truncated):
tiffinfo file.tiff
TIFF Directory at offset 0xb792a (751914)
Subfile Type: multi-page document (2 = 0x2)
Image Width: 595 Image Length: 842
Resolution: 72, 72 (unitless)
Bits/Sample: 4
Compression Scheme: None
Photometric Interpretation: RGB color
FillOrder: msb-to-lsb
Orientation: row 0 top, col 0 lhs
Samples/Pixel: 3
Rows/Strip: 9
Planar Configuration: single image plane
Page Number: 0-35
DocumentName: scanned.tiff
Software: ImageMagick 6.6.2-6 2010-12-02 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
TIFF Directory at offset 0x16f688 (1504904)
Subfile Type: multi-page document (2 = 0x2)
Image Width: 595 Image Length: 842
[...]

Tesseract 3.0 compiled from source (leptonica and libtiff installed)
on Ubuntu 2010.04.

Is there a problem with my TIFF?
Could someone point me to a TIFF file that is know to work with
Tesseract?
Thanks a lot!

Nicolas Raoul
ECM consultant in Tokyo

zdenko podobny

Feb 25, 2011, 4:57:15 AM2/25/11
to tesser...@googlegroups.com, Nicolas Raoul
see:
http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/issues/detail?id=340
http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/issues/detail?id=391

Zdenko

Nicolas Raoul

Feb 27, 2011, 8:53:38 PM2/27/11
to tesseract-ocr
Hello Zdenko,

The 3 issues you linked to are easy "function not present" errors.
I don't get this error at all.

I get "failed to read tiffdata", which returns no results in Google,
so I believe it is a very new error, that has never been discussed
before.

Thanks for your fast reply!
Nicolas Raoul

On Feb 25, 6:57 pm, zdenko podobny <zde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> see:http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/issues/detail?id=340http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/issues/detail?id=391http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/issues/detail?id=443
>
> Zdenko
> >  Software: ImageMagick 6.6.2-6 2010-12-02 Q16http://www.imagemagick.org

zdenko podobny

Feb 28, 2011, 2:13:44 AM2/28/11
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nicolas,

"Error in pixRead*" is error message from leptonica. Tesseract use leptonica library for opening images. That mean if leptonica can not open file tesseract can not use it.

So far there was ALWAYS problem with instalation of leptonica (if you got this error). As suggested in these issues - build example leptonica progs and test you image with them.

Zdenko