Blocking of Pornographic Websites (26-Oct-2011) - PTCL flouts PTA's order

Wahaj us Siraj/MGMT

Jan 3, 2012, 12:37:37 AM1/3/12
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com

From: Wahaj us Siraj/MGMT [mailto:wa...@dsl.net.pk]
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 10:12 AM
To: 'Chairman PTA'; 'Yawar Yasin'
Subject: RE: Blocking of Websites (26-Oct-2011) - PTCL flouts PTA's order

Dear Sir,

Unfortunately, the pornographic sites ordered by PTA for blocking are still accessible on PTCL’s DSL network across the country. Details are enclosed.

It’s ironic that these sites are blocked on networks of all ISPs in Pakistan on the orders of PTA since last two more months but PTCL seems above the law!

We look forward to any action on this by the regulator.

Kind regards….Wahaj

Jan 3, 2012, 1:42:20 AM1/3/12
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com, <telecom-grid-pakistan@googlegroups.com>
Dear Wahaj Sb.

What are the affect on sale due to blockage of these sites? And on bandwidth consumption?
I believe the asked data figures have with you as you guys are running with good customers in numbers corporate and residential on fiber last mile media in Islamabad.

Further the ptcl behavior towards implementing the PTA resolution against these sites as my last visit to Pakistan it was accessible even in Sind remote areas.
These site was checked due to my kids using online hamming.  So I have to check before giving them access to online. And have to put some nanny softwares to avoid the access
Means even after ptcl sold out to private sector but they are still above the law as usually over all governor sectors are above the law theory.

Kind regards
Muhammad Asif
Hamilton new Zealand
Telecom / IT consultant

Sent from my iPhone 4

JamaL ShamsI

Jan 3, 2012, 2:36:14 AM1/3/12
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com

I believe it is not PTCL only - All wimax portable devices & service providers are enjoying the liberty of hushing up PTA.

After reading your email.  I gathered the available wimax devices, clicked access the porn sites - www.porntube.com, www.voyeurpics.com, www.penthouse.com, www.pornhub.com and the few you named below plus what not of adult sites every thing is accessible.

am in Karachi & have 2 different Service providers on 2 PTCL lines plus an EVO USB modem for on GO.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1-      <!--[endif]-->www.lobstertube.com

<!--[if !supportLists]-->2-      <!--[endif]-->www.xhamster.com

<!--[if !supportLists]-->3-      <!--[endif]-->www.youjizz.com

<!--[if !supportLists]-->4-      <!--[endif]-->www.pornhub.com

<!--[if !supportLists]-->5-      <!--[endif]-->www.redtube.com

I found that these websites are opening on PTCL. Attached are the screenshots of the above mentioned websites. Also a screenshot of the following websites

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1-      <!--[endif]-->www.whatismyip.com

<!--[if !supportLists]-->2-      <!--[endif]-->www.ipaddresslocation.org

Ather A. Baig

Jan 3, 2012, 2:41:55 AM1/3/12
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Hello;

Are these only five among thousand, accessible ?
Even I don't see these five accessible on PTCL DSL.

Ather

Babar Shafiq

Jan 3, 2012, 3:45:34 AM1/3/12
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com

I may put my two cents in, 1000 Domains and 65,000+ Links are provided from PTA for blocking to all ISPs.

But majority of the domains/links are accessible on PTCL/EVO.

Domains can be blocked on IP level (still not done on PTCL) but for blocking links e.g. YouTube abusive videos links, Facebook abusive pages, one need L7 OR proxy URL filtering.

That might cause slow or downgraded level of Internet services to end customer that’s why PTCL block/unblock them as per their wish. May be…

Babar.

Ather A. Baig

Jan 3, 2012, 3:47:22 AM1/3/12
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
I believe such websites are in millions and PTA has asked telcos/ISPs to block just 1000. There must be instruction from PTA to block all Porn category urls.

Ather

JamaL ShamsI

Jan 3, 2012, 4:07:42 AM1/3/12
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com

Very right as a flagged wild card word in url - like in etisalat, Batelco, Qtelcom & in KSA

Ather A. Baig

Jan 3, 2012, 4:55:34 AM1/3/12
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but I don't know how many in Pakistan are prepare for category based filtering or they will depend on their SP :)

Wahaj us Siraj

Jan 3, 2012, 5:02:57 AM1/3/12
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
Dear Asif,

When we blocked these sites about couple of months back, there was
around 10% dip in our bandwidth usage on the backbone side.

The effect on sales is difficult to judge though.

Kind regards....Wahaj

On Jan 3, 11:42 am, Muhammad Asif <choudhry.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Wahaj Sb.
>
> What are the affect on sale due to blockage of these sites? And on bandwidth consumption?
> I believe the asked data figures have with you as you guys are running with good customers in numbers corporate and residential on fiber last mile media in Islamabad.
>
> Further the ptcl behavior towards implementing the PTA resolution against these sites as my last visit to Pakistan it was accessible even in Sind remote areas.
> These site was checked due to my kids using online hamming.  So I have to check before giving them access to online. And have to put some nanny softwares to avoid the access
> Means even after ptcl sold out to private sector but they are still above the law as usually over all governor sectors are above the law theory.
>
> Kind regards
> Muhammad Asif
> Hamilton new Zealand
> Telecom / IT consultant+642102838349begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            +642102838349      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
>
> Sent from my iPhone 4

Sheikh Usman N.

Jan 3, 2012, 5:35:40 AM1/3/12
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
I've observed recently that we cannot search balochistan or baloch on google any more. It loads a page which says PTA has blocked this. Quite strange.
Sheikh Usman N.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight with you, then you win"
-Gandhi

http://sheikhusman.blogspot.com/

Raza S Abid

Jan 4, 2012, 1:09:38 AM1/4/12
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
These are not accessible, MICRONET/NAYATEL guys are just after PTCL I think.

Faried Nawaz

Jan 6, 2012, 6:17:19 AM1/6/12
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com

I've found the filtering system on PTCL's DSL to be very inconsistent.
For example, sometimes I can view images on flickr, and view content on
pastebin -- and sometimes I can't. Last night I was trying to look up
the lyrics to a song, and discovered that the first two sites in
Google's results -- http://www.sing365.com and some other one -- were
blocked. Perhaps some of their IP networks are more filtered than
others. I don't know.

And, of course, the way they've blocked sites is by sending a badly
formatted HTTP reply to redirect users to youtube. It doesn't work -- I
end up with a blank page. It annoys me that they can't even get that
bit right.

Faried.
--
(> (length "eclipse") (length "emacs")) => T
Coca Cola, sometimes war

bstr...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2012, 7:30:13 AM1/6/12
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
PTCL has always been a contraband to PTA directives; not following them is like a household thing. PTA needs to signify its role and importance of directives to PTCL by taking them to a special corner otherwise they will loose credibility over sponsoring PTCL with special favors on other operators.

Thanks.