New TELA 6550B Laptops use different docking stations than predecessors

John Driver

Sep 2, 2010, 11:09:44 PM9/2/10
to Techies for schools
This may not be an issue for many schools, but it is huge for us.
Having just received our first 6550B Notebook from TELA (for those
that don't know, the 6550B is the replacement for the 6730B under the
TELA Scheme), we have found that it uses a new, different port for the
docking station than the 6730B did. Having invested heavily in the
docking stations to suit the NX6120 (and which subsequently fitted the
NC range, and the 6730Bs) for every classroom over the years, this
raises a big, potentially expensive problem for us.

I suppose it was inevitable at some point, as the docking stations
have worked for us for the last 5 or six years at least, and HP was
bound to change them at some point. As far as I can tell, schools with
the same problem as ours are faced with 3 options:

1) Buy new docks and run them in tandem alongside the existing docks
until all laptops are at the same standard
2) Forget about docks and go back to having to connect and disconnect
the power, network, video and audio cables
3) Purchase the existing laptops at the end of the lease and keep them
in use for another 3 years, thereby delaying the issue

Option 1 would seem to be an expensive way to go, with the docks for
the 6550B costing around $300 each as far as I can tell. Option 2 was
met by utter panic when it was mentioned at this morning's staff
briefing, and I think is a big step back in terms of usability and
maintenance etc. and at the moment option 3 seems a good option,
albeit a temporary solution.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Patrick

Sep 3, 2010, 1:41:08 AM9/3/10
to Techies for schools
None really that can help you.

Interested, in a way, that people use these docking stations as they
are not, at least as I would have thought of them, widespread or must-
have.

And in general there are endless permutations involving proprietary
hardware for schools up and down the country and my approach is, don't
buy any more proprietary stuff than you have to.

We buy generic desktops and servers for the same reason. We aren't
locked in any more than the motherboard manufacturer or the CPU
manufacturer or the chassis manufacturer individually can. When there
is one company that holds all of those dice, experience these days is
that outside of the warranty coverage they aren't motivated.

Whilst I understand connecting 4 cables, that is what we do do here,
there are pros and cons but the cons are accepted in our classrooms.

Peter Lambrechtsen

Sep 3, 2010, 3:44:46 AM9/3/10
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I am suprised that you would need to connect Network/Video/Audio.  If you moved to a wireless infrastructure that would save one cable, Video doesn't the laptop already have a screen, or are you using a larger screen?  Otherwise I find most modern laptops have a respectible monitor.

I would say an investment in Bluetooth headphones/Mic (assuming that's why you have audio which each student has their own) and a wireless infrastructure.

Then you could just have two power supplies on each desk depending on the laptop model and you should be away.

I would say the investment in putting in wifi with EAP-TLS would easily be less than the cost of the docking station for a whole classroom.

Patrick

Sep 3, 2010, 3:50:58 AM9/3/10
to Techies for schools

On Sep 3, 7:44 pm, Peter Lambrechtsen <plambrecht...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am suprised that you would need to connect Network/Video/Audio.  If you
> moved to a wireless infrastructure that would save one cable, Video doesn't
> the laptop already have a screen, or are you using a larger screen?
> Otherwise I find most modern laptops have a respectible monitor.

Projectors?

We have 4 wires out of the wall, audio, network, VGA and smartboard
USB. Plus power.

John Driver

Sep 3, 2010, 5:28:28 AM9/3/10
to Techies for schools
4 cables (or even 5 if using an interactive whiteboard) = Power, VGA
to a projector, audio to classroom speaker system (pretty much
essential with growing use of video) and network. We have wifi, which
is fine but nowhere near the throughput and reliability as a 1gb wired
network connection. None are essential as such, but it's all about
breaking down barriers and making things as easy and robust as
possible.

John Driver

Sep 3, 2010, 5:40:05 AM9/3/10
to Techies for schools
Thanks Patrick. I agree with some of your comments re. proprietary
gear, but unfortunately the docks were there a long time before I
started and the teachers are very used to the ease of use and the
reliability that they provide. From an end users perspective, going
back to connecting cables is a step backwards and that's always a
tricky thing to manage....

Dave Hayden

Sep 6, 2010, 6:11:58 PM9/6/10
to Techies for schools
We have a similar situation. We use about 100 docking stations, about
5 years old now and still working well.. These prove very useful
especially, with a large number of staff moving around classrooms and
offices. The use of docking stations considerably reduces the wear and
tear on laptops, patch and VGA cables and make it a lot easier for
teachers to set up as they move around the school. However I am facing
the same situation now as John. Leases are expiring and progressively
I will be replacing with new laptops that don't fit the docking
stations. On the use of the laptop screens Patrick, I have found the
best way to reduce stress headaches in staff who spend long hours
hunching over their laptops(a widespread problem) is to provide them
with a laptop stand(expensive)or better still a screen( I buy very
good ones second hand). When a staff member spends time in an office
and also moving around different rooms I am definetly in favour of the
docking stations. I am not sure what to do next year when the lease on
most of the staff laptops is renewed. Buying new docking stations is a
very expensive option.
> > > Anyone have any thoughts on this?- Hide quoted text -

Chaz Price

Sep 6, 2010, 6:47:20 PM9/6/10
to Techies for schools
Hi

We have had this issue with Toshiba and have moved to the Toshiba
Dynadock Universal Docking Station.
This is a USB based solution that works well on any laptop. Its a
similar price to the dedicated ones.
A bulk order will no doubt reduce the costs with the long term
advantages.
It may pay to see if a USB 3 capable deive is on the horizon though.
Have a look at the reviews of these solutions :
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9128862/Review_5_universal_docking_stations_make_quick_connections?taxonomyId=15&pageNumber=1

Hope this helps
Chaz Price
Waimea College

John Driver

Sep 7, 2010, 5:31:45 PM9/7/10
to Techies for schools
Thanks Chaz. I'd started to look around at alternatives and have come
across a few USB Based docks. Do the Toshiba ones that you use need
drivers? If so, are they recognised by Windows XP and Windows 7
natively? Or do you have to install a driver? I saw one (can't
remember which now, maybe a new HP one), that has some flash memory on
the dock that stores the drivers, that looked pretty neat.

On Sep 7, 10:47 am, Chaz Price <chaz.pr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> We have had this issue with Toshiba and have moved to the Toshiba
> Dynadock Universal Docking Station.
> This is a USB based solution that works well on any laptop. Its a
> similar price to the dedicated ones.
> A bulk order will no doubt reduce the costs with the long term
> advantages.
> It may pay to see if a USB 3 capable deive is on the horizon though.
> Have a look at the reviews of these solutions :http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9128862/Review_5_universal_doc...

John Driver

Sep 7, 2010, 5:41:30 PM9/7/10
to Techies for schools
Thanks Dave. I agree with your comments. The ease of use, and lack of
wear and tear are the reasons why we are keen to continue offering
some sort of dock in the classrooms. From my point of view, the
thought of going back to bent VGA pins, broken tabs on network cables,
and damaged power supplies scares me, and from the teachers point of
view it's a real step back and another barrier for them. As Chaz
mentions below the USB dock would seem to be an obvious solution, but
the price.... yikes....

Sticking with HP, this one has video, network and USB, but no audio:
http://tinyurl.com/23ecuuj This one has audio, network and USB but no
VGA: http://tinyurl.com/2exw8g6

How frustrating

Atholl

Sep 7, 2010, 5:58:45 PM9/7/10
to Techies for schools
Have a look at the Toshiba Dynadock V. May be worth the look Acquire
has them at ± $179

Patrick

Sep 7, 2010, 11:33:22 PM9/7/10
to Techies for schools
If it doesn't have to be made by Toshiba - other brands start around
the $120 mark for similar functionality.
Brilliant idea.

Patrick

Sep 7, 2010, 11:34:19 PM9/7/10
to Techies for schools
Wireless keyboards give peeps a full size keyboard conveniently as
well.

Patrick

Sep 7, 2010, 11:40:17 PM9/7/10
to Techies for schools
Very good point on the VGA cables etc, although none of these USBs
will connect power (obvious reasons).

Most of our power supplies are not failing through misuse, the current
HP 90W supplies seem to have a short life by design :)

John Driver

Sep 9, 2010, 6:00:33 PM9/9/10
to Techies for schools
Agree re. the HP 90w Power Supplies. We have a stream of service jobs
with TELA to have them replaced. I think we are up to 8 or 9 this
year. For a while I was buying replacements then I realised we could
get them from TELA for nothing :)

Patrick

Sep 10, 2010, 4:33:49 AM9/10/10
to Techies for schools
Can you clarify that?

I understood there is only a 12 month warranty on power supplies.
(There is 36 months on batteries, not that I ever had one fail)

John Driver

Sep 10, 2010, 5:23:11 PM9/10/10
to Techies for schools
From the MOE TELA Site

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/NZEducation/EducationPolicies/Schools/Initiatives/ICTInSchools/ICTInitiativesAndProgrammes/LaptopsForTeachers.aspx#Repairs

"Laptop batteries are considered a ‘consumable’ and we have only been
able to negotiate a one-year warranty on them. They are expected to
last longer than a year but if they fail your school may need to pay
for a replacement"

Like you Patrick I thought it was 1 year on PSUs and 3 on batteries,
but I have had it confirmed on a number of occasions with phone calls
to the TELA Helpdesk that it is 3 years on PSUs and 1 on batteries. I
think I discovered this a year or so ago and since have replaced at
least 10 power supplies by submitting a service request. If anyone
knows different, please jump in. I'll start another thread on it for
clarity

Alan at Wadestown School

Sep 11, 2010, 8:24:21 PM9/11/10
to Techies for schools
The power units for the HP6710b fail all the time for us too. We have
about 15 of these laptops and I have replaced about 5 or 6 power units
using the TELA service request during the last 3 years.

Alan
Wadestown School

Patrick

Sep 12, 2010, 5:39:48 PM9/12/10
to Techies for schools
Later HP models have 3 years on the battery.