TV3 Documentary - "Is your cellphone killing you?"

John Driver

Jun 22, 2011, 5:28:55 PM6/22/11
to Techies for schools
http://ondemand.tv3.co.nz/Inside-New-Zealand-Is-Your-Cell-Phone-Killing-You/tabid/59/articleID/3276/MCat/342/Default.aspx

Any thoughts or opinions on the EMF debate following this documentary
on TV3 last night? Has anyone started to receive calls from concerned
parents? If so, what are you saying?

Jeffrey Burke

Jun 22, 2011, 6:13:10 PM6/22/11
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I actually watched that as a comedy, it was like watching a bunch of four year olds trying to explain nuclear fission. Some of the standout moments for me were when they were recomending how to use a cellphone without a hands free kit and claimed that you could hold it to your head to listen as it did not transmit if you wern't speaking (totally untrue). Another was the claims about 'jaged radiation' being worse than continuous radiation - their attempt to explain the difference between analogue and digital.

We are all exposed to levels of radiation constantly from the huge EMF emmitter in the sky that brings us light most of which is at a higher level than the stuff being complained about. If they are truely concerned then they should ban microwaves entirely. Shouldn't drive cars thanks to the high voltage electronics in the ignition system and most certainly should not have a tv.

High voltage lines are a different debate as the energy involved is much greater and emmitted over a much larger spectrum.

I have not heard any worries from parents as yet luckily but if it becomes an issue a document for the concerned outlining the discrepencies and that unless they live in a cave (assuming no radioactive elements are present) at home they are being hypocritical may be in order.

Either that or we just cut all electrical power to schools and go back to chalk which would admittedly save on the power bill. This could also help when there is a lack of rain causing the countries batteries to run low again.

John Driver

Jun 22, 2011, 6:40:41 PM6/22/11
to Techies for schools
I agree Jeffrey, some parts of it were hilarious. I particulary liked
the bit about jagged spiky radiation. I hate the way that these
programs muddy the waters by talking about cellphones, towers, wifi
and high voltage electricity all in the same breath. It must be very
confusing for a lot of people out there.

John

On Jun 23, 10:13 am, "Jeffrey Burke" <Jeff...@krs.ac.nz> wrote:
> I actually watched that as a comedy, it was like watching a bunch of four year olds trying to explain nuclear fission.  Some of the standout moments for me were when they were recomending how to use a cellphone without a hands free kit and claimed that you could hold it to your head to listen as it did not transmit if you wern't speaking (totally untrue).  Another was the claims about 'jaged radiation' being worse than continuous radiation - their attempt to explain the difference between analogue and digital.
>
> We are all exposed to levels of radiation constantly from the huge EMF emmitter in the sky that brings us light most of which is at a higher level than the stuff being complained about.  If they are truely concerned then they should ban microwaves entirely.  Shouldn't drive cars thanks to the high voltage electronics in the ignition system and most certainly should not have a tv.
>
> High voltage lines are a different debate as the energy involved is much greater and emmitted over a much larger spectrum.
>
> I have not heard any worries from parents as yet luckily but if it becomes an issue a document for the concerned outlining the discrepencies and that unless they live in a cave (assuming no radioactive elements are present) at home they are being hypocritical may be in order.
>
> Either that or we just cut all electrical power to schools and go back to chalk which would admittedly save on the power bill.  This could also help when there is a lack of rain causing the countries batteries to run low again.

Julian Davison

Jun 22, 2011, 8:41:27 PM6/22/11
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I forgot it was on, but suspected this sort of thing would be the contnt.

The problem is that it's *not* confusing as they're not aware that there
are any differences between the things. It's only when you already know
something about the subject that the wild inaccuracies become apparent.

KiwiStag

Jun 23, 2011, 6:58:09 PM6/23/11
to Techies for schools
I missed sections of it but in today's society - how many children
actually hold their phones to their heads? Maybe they should be more
worried about fingers falling off from too much TXTing!
(Actually that'd make a great urban myth!)

With any scientific research this involves many fields of expertiese
(physics, medical, biochemistry, etc) and would require expert results
from a panel rather than individuals being interviewed individually..

Brian Falkingham

Jun 23, 2011, 7:17:40 PM6/23/11
to techies-for-schools
Hi

I would be far more worried about the radiation from all the ancient CRT monitors, they were only designed for 3 years use so anyone still using them is most likely microwaving the users :-)

Brian

Brian Falkingham

Brian Falkingham
Network Manager