Users of Pirated Copies of Tasker Beware...

Pent

Aug 7, 2010, 4:29:22 AM8/7/10
to Tasker
1) The hacker can do virtually anything with your phone. Record your
calls and upload them to a website, SMS your location and all your
contacts, make calls automatically, wipe your SD card, secretely
record from your microphone any time etc etc

2) Tasker contains slow timebombs when it notices it's been tampered
with. I move them every release. Do you trust your local hacker to
find them all ? Every release ?

3) Do you want me adding new features or spending large chunks of my
time with various copy protection activities?

Pent

TW

Aug 7, 2010, 4:36:12 AM8/7/10
to Tasker
very sad that some people don't want to spend the amount of one pizza
Margherita for an application so powerfull and usefull
glad I am NOT one of them :)

The A

Aug 7, 2010, 9:33:03 AM8/7/10
to Tasker
First off, let me say thank you for Tasker. I think you're really
filling a void in the Android's functionality. This level of
customization is lacking in any other mobile device and it's about
time Android devices stepped it up.

That said, I just uninstalled Tasker from my Evo. It was too
frustrating dealing with strange errors and unintuitive categories.
Before you write me off as one of "those people" who shows up to
complain, I would like to say that my purpose here is to provide
suggestions so that myself (and hopefully other customers) will find
Tasker more pleasurable.

My biggest problem was that I could not easily modify Tasks after I
had made them. For instance, I created a Context--I think that's the
right terminology--for Google Maps. When it launched, I wanted GPS
on, and when it exited, I wanted GPS turned off. Reading through your
documentation, I understand that GPS is a setting, so GPS would be
reverted to it's previous value when Google Maps was exited. So, I
tried to delete the exit task, but was unable to do so. On the task
edit page, the "Delete" button did nothing. Dragging the "GPS Off"
line down into the newly-appearing trash can did remove it, but I
couldn't exit that screen without adding a new task. The workaround
was to delete the entire profile and start from scratch without adding
"GPS Off". Since I had one of these for Google Maps, another for
Waze, another for Trapster, another for Navigation and another for
Navigator, this was a bit unreasonable.

Another big issue I encountered was trying to edit tasks at all. I
would see the message "error: unknown task type" when tapping on a
given task. I have no workaround to that issue, nor do I understand
why it seemed to come and go.

In short, I really think you've started something exceptional here. I
would really like to see you spend some effort polishing off the last
details. I know you have some "phoning home" functionality in your
software, and maybe that's giving you some interesting data which
leads you to believe folks are pirating Tasker. However, I would
argue that there are enough of us that if you were to resolve a couple
of issues, you could make more than if you fight the losing battle
with people who are determined to never buy software. I know you
would certainly have my $6 (or more)--and I'd be glad to buy directly
from you so you get a bigger cut than from the Market.

Thanks again for your contribution to the Android environment!

Respectfully,
Aaron

Calvin

Aug 7, 2010, 9:59:00 AM8/7/10
to Tasker
There is a learning curve in this program, agreed.
If you ever decide to give tasker a 2nd try:
if you want to delete an exit task: long press on the exit task and
push yes (or something).

Your "error: unknown task type"-problem sounds weird, no ideas on that
for now.

On Aug 7, 3:33 pm, The A <aarons...@gmail.com> wrote:
[..]

Pent

Aug 7, 2010, 12:18:35 PM8/7/10
to Tasker
Hi Aaron,

strange place to post this, but moving on...

> That said, I just uninstalled Tasker from my Evo.  It was too
> frustrating dealing with strange errors and unintuitive categories.
> Before you write me off as one of "those people" who shows up to
> complain, I would like to say that my purpose here is to provide
> suggestions so that myself (and hopefully other customers) will find
> Tasker more pleasurable.
> My biggest problem was that I could not easily modify Tasks after I
> had made them.  For instance, I created a Context--I think that's the
> right terminology--for Google Maps.  When it launched, I wanted GPS
> on, and when it exited, I wanted GPS turned off.  Reading through your
> documentation, I understand that GPS is a setting, so GPS would be
> reverted to it's previous value when Google Maps was exited.  So, I
> tried to delete the exit task, but was unable to do so.  On the task
> edit page, the "Delete" button did nothing.

Yes that needs fixing.

>  Dragging the "GPS Off"
> line down into the newly-appearing trash can did remove it, but I
> couldn't exit that screen without adding a new task.  The workaround
> was to delete the entire profile and start from scratch without adding

Delete task: tap on it in Profile Edit screen and select Delete Task
Reference.

> "GPS Off".  Since I had one of these for Google Maps, another for
> Waze, another for Trapster, another for Navigation and another for
> Navigator, this was a bit unreasonable.

Sure, multi-app context is on the todo list.

> Another big issue I encountered was trying to edit tasks at all.  I
> would see the message "error: unknown task type" when tapping on a
> given task.  I have no workaround to that issue, nor do I understand
> why it seemed to come and go.

Could you tell me what version it was ? If you report bugs I'm happy
to fix them,

> In short, I really think you've started something exceptional here.  I
> would really like to see you spend some effort polishing off the last
> details.  I know you have some "phoning home" functionality in your
> software, and maybe that's giving you some interesting data which
> leads you to believe folks are pirating Tasker.  However, I would
> argue that there are enough of us that if you were to resolve a couple
> of issues, you could make more than if you fight the losing battle
> with people who are determined to never buy software.  I know you
> would certainly have my $6 (or more)--and I'd be glad to buy directly
> from you so you get a bigger cut than from the Market.

Ah, that's why the post was here :)

> Thanks again for your contribution to the Android environment!

Thanks for you input. Hope to see you back once I've had more
polishing
time,

Pent

Nikolay Panov

Aug 7, 2010, 1:47:48 PM8/7/10
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Regarding timebomb. I'm now in usa and bought the tasker from market. I'm going to trip to euro country when market has just free apps so I'll cannot update tasker for a long time (may be year) without rooting my phone (what I not planning to do).
I'm now afraid your program. What your bombs supposed to do? Is it legal? Should I delete tasker before the trip?

Pent

Aug 7, 2010, 1:59:00 PM8/7/10
to Tasker
Hi Nikolaj,

> Regarding timebomb. I'm now in usa and bought the tasker from market. I'm
> going to trip to euro country when market has just free apps so I'll cannot
> update tasker for a long time (may be year) without rooting my phone (what I
> not planning to do).

That's no problem.

> I'm now afraid your program. What your bombs supposed to do? Is it legal?
> Should I delete tasker before the trip?

No, you don't need to worry at all, there are just 'inconveniences'
for users of pirated copies.

Pent

RogueSpear

Aug 7, 2010, 2:32:46 PM8/7/10
to Tasker
Isn't Google supposed to be launching new Market features aimed at
devs just for the purpose of stopping piracy? I know that there is no
way to make something uncrackable, but from what I remember this was
supposed to be a pretty decent system they put together. Based on
what I am reading here, you must not be very impressed with their
efforts. And that's a shame because I would also prefer to see you
concentrate your efforts on features and bugs rather than copy
protection.

TW

Aug 7, 2010, 2:36:15 PM8/7/10
to Tasker
Hi Nikolay,

all apps you purchased should show up in your Download section of the
Market no matter where you are
I live in Belgium where paid apps are not in the Market so I rooted my
phone, I flashed a rom and entered the account of my girlfriend (so
she could buy an app without rooting her phone)
after this I flashed another rom to enter my account and when she
looked in the Download section of her un-rooted phone she saw the app
she just bought
so my guess is you will be able to update anyhow :)

you see, we have to jump through hoops to be able to buy stuff :)

Pent

Aug 7, 2010, 2:41:09 PM8/7/10
to Tasker
> Isn't Google supposed to be launching new Market features aimed at
> devs just for the purpose of stopping piracy?

Yes, I just built that in with 1.0.6.

> what I am reading here, you must not be very impressed with their
> efforts.  And that's a shame because I would also prefer to see you
> concentrate your efforts on features and bugs rather than copy
> protection.

It's trivial to find the part of the code that checks with Google's
server and change it, so yes, something more is needed.

Pent

Nikolay Panov

Aug 7, 2010, 3:45:55 PM8/7/10
to tas...@googlegroups.com
> all apps you purchased should show up in your Download section of the
> Market no matter where you are

That's right.

> I live in Belgium where paid apps are not in the Market so I rooted my
> phone, I flashed a rom and entered the account of my girlfriend (so
> she could buy an app without rooting her phone)
> after this I flashed another rom to enter my account and when she
> looked in the Download section of her un-rooted phone she saw the app
> she just bought
> so my guess is you will be able to update anyhow :)

I know nothing about rom flashing, but I have now tested european sim
card with my phone. When I'm in air-mode (gsm off, wifi on, I'm
located in CA, USA) the market working as usual -- I can see paid
apps, I can buy and update apps. When I have gsm on, wifi on, I still
can see all my apps (e.g. Tasker) in 'Download' section, but after
click on it, I see error message 'Not found. The requested item could
not be found.' and so cannot update it.
As far I know, I should root my phone to have availability for buying
new apps and updating old ones outside USA :o(

Have a nice day,
   Nikolay.

Nikolay Panov

Aug 7, 2010, 3:46:49 PM8/7/10
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the explanation. I just thought that timebomb is charged
initially, and each update just postpones the firing.

Have a nice day,
   Nikolay.

Message has been deleted

Todd

Aug 9, 2010, 9:00:11 PM8/9/10
to Tasker
A year ago, when I bought my Android phone, I looked for an app to
turn off my ringer when I was at work and automatically turn it back
on when I left work. I found an app that cost $20 and chose not to
install it because the price was just too steep. I've been reading
about Tasker on lifehacker.com and decided to buy it a few days ago.

Until now, I've never paid for an app and have just made do using free
apps. At just over $6 US this app is well worth the money. After
reading the tour page, I was able to put together tasks that turn off
my ringer right before work and turn it back on right after work. It
even tells me what it's doing when it's turning it on and off. I've
put together a couple other tasks to turn on my favorite game simply
by holding my phone face down a couple seconds and I even added the
one that pulls up a music app menu when I dock it in my car.

Did I mention that Tasker is well worth the money? For about $6 I
solved a year old problem, made listening to music in my car easier,
and have almost instant access to a game that I play several times a
day. The great thing is that I can do an almost infinite number of
other things with Tasker.

Buy the thing.
Todd Wallace

Pent

Aug 10, 2010, 4:07:40 AM8/10/10
to Tasker
Hi Todd,

thanks for the positive stuff, a nice balance to the ordering chaos in
my mailbox :)

Pent

3Shirts

Aug 10, 2010, 12:03:12 PM8/10/10
to Tasker
Have you thought about releasing a taster version with fewer available
settings/actions and contexts? I know that you can install and get a
refund within 24 hours if you don't like an app but for something like
this I would want to run it a few days to see if it did my automated
actions right before I could really say if it was for me.
It took me a lot of reading this forum and the website before I
decided to take the plunge as the price (while totally justified once
you realise how good the app is) can be a little off-putting.

Just my 2 cents

Stefan Sarzio

Aug 10, 2010, 12:41:55 PM8/10/10
to Tasker
You can try the Direct-Purchase version (http://tasker.dinglisch.net/
download.html) for 7 days.

mwburden

Aug 16, 2010, 3:11:56 PM8/16/10
to Tasker
Not so much a "Time" bomb as a "Tamper boobytrap" :)

Markus Baertschi

Aug 24, 2010, 2:56:00 PM8/24/10
to Tasker

Tasker is performing fine for me. The task I've bought it for
(enable/disable call forwarding) works very nicely.
I did not have the time to explore more stuff, will do over time.

Some remarks:

I've read the article on how easy it is to hex-edit the google
license-check out of an app. However, you'll have to to that
for each app and version individually. No auto-update via
market, no bug-fixes, etc. I think the country limitation on
buying from the market today is much worse.

Me too, I had to struggle with the UI and terminology, this
is an area where Tasker has room for improvement. I did
buy Locale first and it was much easier to use. It could not
do what I need, so I have it no longer installed. But fine-tuning
the user experience is probably the best way to increase
the customer base. There will be many who install, find it
too complicated and uninstall again.

Markus