GPS Status on Gingerbread

Pent

Feb 23, 2011, 6:02:09 AM2/23/11
to Tasker
GPS no longer works on a normal Gingerbread ROM due to changes made by
Google in Android. There's nothing I can do about that.

If you have a modified ROM where GPS worked in prior Tasker versions,
then I can add your ROM to the list of exceptions. To do that, I need
to be able to identify it with Tasker. Look in /system/build.prop for
a line that might be unique to your ROM and post it here if you find
one.

Here's an example line from the file:

ro.modversion=KTPassionMod V2.3 RC1

At the time of writing I have Cyanogen, Kang-o-rama, GingerVillain and
KTPassion included (only Cyanogen is live in Tasker v1.0.19 however).

Pent

jonc

Feb 23, 2011, 9:56:47 AM2/23/11
to Tasker
Could this be related to the issue that I'm having intermittently
here?: http://groups.google.com/group/tasker/browse_thread/thread/8315c7ad916c59fa#

I'm on a Nexus S running 2.3.2...

Jon

Pent

Feb 23, 2011, 1:06:17 PM2/23/11
to Tasker

> Could this be related to the issue that I'm having intermittently

Depends if you're toggling the GPS receiver or not.

Pent

UncleMike

Feb 23, 2011, 9:44:35 PM2/23/11
to Tasker
Still haven't found anything like what you've been asking for, but
maybe this might help. There are two apps installed in /system that
appear to be UltimateDroid specific. The file names are UDParts.apk
and UDWallpapers.apk, and they contain the following activities:

com.cyanogenmod.cmparts.activities.MainActivity
com.cyanogenmod.cmparts.activities.CreateShortcut
com.cyanogenmod.cmparts.activities.InputActivity
com.cyanogenmod.cmparts.activities.UIActivity
+ others I can name if it helps
com.ultimatedroid.UDWallpapers.wallpaper

Is this any help?

Dave

Feb 24, 2011, 3:53:13 AM2/24/11
to Tasker
This is good news!
When can we expect a new beta with this implemented?
Thanks a lot pent!

Pent

Feb 24, 2011, 4:42:12 AM2/24/11
to Tasker
> Still haven't found anything like what you've been asking for, but
> maybe this might help.  There are two apps installed in /system that
> appear to be UltimateDroid specific.  The file names are UDParts.apk
> and UDWallpapers.apk, and they contain the following activities:
>
> com.cyanogenmod.cmparts.activities.MainActivity
> com.cyanogenmod.cmparts.activities.CreateShortcut
> com.cyanogenmod.cmparts.activities.InputActivity
> com.cyanogenmod.cmparts.activities.UIActivity
> + others I can name if it helps
> com.ultimatedroid.UDWallpapers.wallpaper
>
> Is this any help?

OK, I'll have a look for one of the files. ro.modversion in build.prop
seems to be a common attribute for all the other modified ROMs though,
maybe you could ask the UD author to include it ?

Pent

UncleMike

Feb 24, 2011, 12:08:39 PM2/24/11
to Tasker
It seems that everyone but me is coming up with something useful in
build.prop. If I ever get any response from the developer, I'll
suggest adding it. Maybe I should pursue another means of
communication than their forums though - as the forums seem to be
getting me nowhere.

UncleMike

Feb 26, 2011, 12:24:59 AM2/26/11
to Tasker
What specifically are you looking for in build.prop to identify the
Cyanogen ROM?

Pent

Feb 26, 2011, 4:48:38 AM2/26/11
to Tasker

On Feb 26, 5:24 am, UncleMike <njcable...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What specifically are you looking for in build.prop to identify the
> Cyanogen ROM?

Just the word 'cyanogen'. I'm thinking of switching to 'modversion'
though, that seems more often than not to imply cyanogen or a submod.

Pent

Emmy

Mar 2, 2011, 9:19:28 AM3/2/11
to Tasker
So if we don't have a modified ROM, we're dead in the water? That was
one of my favorite features about Tasker. Dammit, Google.

Ryan

Mar 2, 2011, 8:49:09 PM3/2/11
to Tasker
ro.modversion=Ultimate Droid 3.0.1 [crawling-RAM]

Paul.M

Mar 3, 2011, 9:20:32 AM3/3/11
to Tasker
I'd like to have this working for my Droid Eris running Workshed's CM7
ROM - GSB (GingerShedBread). The build.prop line for v1.6 is:
ro.modversion=GingerShedBread.v1.6-02182011-CM7-RC1-NIGHTLY-Desirec

Thanks and I must say I love Tasker...seems like the list of things I
want to use it for is growing every day.

UncleMike

Mar 3, 2011, 8:12:28 PM3/3/11
to Tasker
As is the list of things Google seems bent on blocking apps from
doing.

UncleMike

Mar 3, 2011, 8:13:04 PM3/3/11
to Tasker
I sure hope this proves useful.

Pent

Mar 4, 2011, 5:13:21 AM3/4/11
to Tasker
> I sure hope this proves useful.

You didn't have that line in yours though, UM ?

Pent

Tony

Mar 5, 2011, 12:59:11 PM3/5/11
to Tasker
Hi Pent-

I use ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning ROM (It's pretty popular). Here's
the build.prop data. Could you please let me know when upgrade is
available that includes this?

ro.modversion=Simply Stunning 5.01
ro.rommanager.developerid=ChevyNo1
ro.build.display.id=ChevyNo1 -> Simply Stunning v5.01 Built from
Source Code - 03-03-2011
ro.build.user=chevyno1
ro.build.host=chevyno1-ubuntu

I've also been having problems with tasker (since gingerbread upgrade)
complaining about low memory. I'm using compcache kernel and RAM
seems abundant when the errors pop up.

I mainly used tasker to control my volume levels between work and home
profiles. That should not have required GPS but used to use wifi and
cell towers. Is that a feature that is also not available any longer
on gingerbread?

-Tony

Tony

Mar 5, 2011, 12:40:29 PM3/5/11
to Tasker
Pent-

I use Chevy's "Simply Stunning" ROM. Can you please add it to the
exceptions list and let me know when there may be an updated version
available?

I've been having problems on his (ChevyNo1) gingerbread ROM (5.00+)
with tasker complaining about low memory as well as tasker not being
able to turn on the GPS for certain apps. I have another profile that
I use which is supposed to only use wifi/cell towers for location and
it also don't seem to work correctly (when it worked fine with my 2.2
Android Simply Stunning ROM). I basically bought tasker for the
specific purpose of controlling my phone volume levels as I was near
my workplace. I use higher volume levels at home.

The low memory problem is also confusing me. Maybe it's getting
caused by tasker doing excessive error logging when not able to turn
on GPS? I normally seem to have plenty of available RAM (Droid 1) and
I have tried using compcache feature of his kernels to free up even
more RAM.

Here's the most applicable build.prop info:
ro.build.display.id=ChevyNo1 -> Simply Stunning v5.01 Built from
Source Code - 03-03-2011
ro.build.user=chevyno1
ro.build.host=chevyno1-ubuntu
ro.rommanager.developerid=ChevyNo1
ro.modversion=Simply Stunning 5.01

UncleMike

Mar 6, 2011, 12:29:52 AM3/6/11
to Tasker
I don't think that was a line in a file, but a string found in RAM.

Temporarily, I have edited my build.prop file to include a reference
to cyanogen, tricking Tasker into thinking that's what I'm running; it
works. My questions regarding this in other forums seem to be falling
on deaf ears. So far I've gotten no response to my posts.

Pent

Mar 6, 2011, 5:19:04 AM3/6/11
to Tasker
> I use ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning ROM (It's pretty popular).  Here's
> the build.prop data.

Does GPS work in earlier versions of Tasker with Gingerbread versions
of
this ROM ?

>  Could you please let me know when upgrade is
> available that includes this?

Sorry, please check the release notes, I don't have time to track
everyone and their issues.

> I've also been having problems with tasker (since gingerbread upgrade)
> complaining about low memory.  I'm using compcache kernel and RAM
> seems abundant when the errors pop up.

Turn off the notification if it's not helpful.

> I mainly used tasker to control my volume levels between work and home
> profiles.  That should not have required GPS but used to use wifi and
> cell towers.  Is that a feature that is also not available any longer
> on gingerbread?

If you are having trouble with WIfi / Cell Near please create a new
thread with more details.

Thanks,

Pent

Tony

Mar 6, 2011, 12:22:27 PM3/6/11
to Tasker
> > I use ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning ROM (It's pretty popular).  Here's
> > the build.prop data.
>
> Does GPS work in earlier versions of Tasker with Gingerbread versions
> of
> this ROM ?

This ROM just got GB support. GPS did work when I was using the Froyo
version of the ROM. I guess I don't fully understand if this is a
Tasker issue because the OS API's changed for GPS enablement or
something else? If Cyanogen works on GB, how did they do it?
Something in the ROM or just a change in Tasker? I could write the
ROM developer if I know more information.

> >  Could you please let me know when upgrade is
> > available that includes this?
>
> Sorry, please check the release notes, I don't have time to track
> everyone and their issues.

Fair enough. I wasn't sure if you were pushing out special beta
updates for testing changes like this.

> > I've also been having problems with tasker (since gingerbread upgrade)
> > complaining about low memory.  I'm using compcache kernel and RAM
> > seems abundant when the errors pop up.
>
> Turn off the notification if it's not helpful.
I have now done this. Could low memory potentially be causing some of
the issues I've written up here?

> > I mainly used tasker to control my volume levels between work and home
> > profiles.  That should not have required GPS but used to use wifi and
> > cell towers.  Is that a feature that is also not available any longer
> > on gingerbread?
>
> If you are having trouble with WIfi / Cell Near please create a new
> thread with more details.
I will do some more monitoring and testing and will create a new
thread if I don't figure out more details in the next week or so.

Thanks,
-Tony

Pent

Mar 7, 2011, 3:38:37 AM3/7/11
to Tasker
> > Does GPS work in earlier versions of Tasker with Gingerbread versions
> > of this ROM ?
>
> This ROM just got GB support.  GPS did work when I was using the Froyo
> version of the ROM.

If it's not based on Cyanogen, I doubt it works.

> I guess I don't fully understand if this is a
> Tasker issue because the OS API's changed for GPS enablement or
> something else?  If Cyanogen works on GB, how did they do it?

They have a special 'power control' widget which can be used to make
the
GPS changes.

> I have now done this.  Could low memory potentially be causing some of
> the issues I've written up here?

Low memory can cause any issue you can think of :-)

Pent

Neilix

Mar 7, 2011, 10:58:28 PM3/7/11
to Tasker
I'm currently running Oxygen 2.0.1 which isn't based on Cyanogen but
has had GPS working on gingerbread in the past, and also has a power
control widget that will make GPS changes.

The identifier from build prop is ro.modversion=Oxygen-2.0.1

Simon

Mar 7, 2011, 4:24:56 PM3/7/11
to Tasker
FireFly custom ROM for Samsung Captivate should be on the list of ROMs
that work. I'm not able to open the build.prop file to give you the
line.

UncleMike

Mar 8, 2011, 7:58:32 PM3/8/11
to Tasker
If you're kicking the power widget to toggle GPS on CM7, can you just
look for the widget instead of trying to identify all of the CM-based
ROMs?

Pent

Mar 9, 2011, 4:28:53 AM3/9/11
to Tasker
> If you're kicking the power widget to toggle GPS on CM7, can you just
> look for the widget instead of trying to identify all of the CM-based
> ROMs?

It's got the same package name as the standard widget, they've just
extended it.
I'll try your idea of turning it on and off and looking for the change
though.

Pent

Ryan Delaney

Mar 11, 2011, 12:35:11 PM3/11/11
to Tasker
I can confirm that GPS toggle is working on my moto sholes running CM
7 RC-2. Big relief!

Chad

Mar 11, 2011, 4:27:27 PM3/11/11
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm that Simply Stunning is based on Cyanogenmod as I'm running 5.1 now and it's still giving me the GPS action not available error.  The 5.1 is based on the new Cyanogenmod 7 RC2 as well.  Tasker is wonderful and would like to have this functionality back in this ROM as well.  Thanks!

Sanjay Suckoo

Mar 17, 2011, 10:16:55 PM3/17/11
to Tasker
I am using AOSPCMMod running android 2.3.3. The rom is for the Hero
CDMA and is based on the cyanogen source code. The GPS function in
tasker won't work, but should it since it is based on cm source?
Either way, here is the unique line in the rom:

ro.modversion=aospCMod-20110314

RVDigital

Mar 18, 2011, 3:04:22 AM3/18/11
to Tasker
ro.modversion=aospCMod-20110314

Covers aosp's Cyanogen Gingerbread Mod which can be found @
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=864403

If possible, maybe just add "aosp" to the exception "list".

Ryan Villegas

Mar 18, 2011, 3:01:05 AM3/18/11
to Tasker
ro.modversion=aospCMod-20110314

This covers aosp's Cyanogen GingerBread MOD found @
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=864403

Pent

Mar 18, 2011, 5:32:53 AM3/18/11
to Tasker
In the next beta I'm specifically testing GPS toggle, so there's no
need to recognize the Mod version anymore.

Pent

Bieniu

Mar 21, 2011, 1:16:03 PM3/21/11
to Tasker

On 23 Lut, 12:02, Pent <supp...@apps.dinglisch.net> wrote:

> If you have a modified ROM where GPS worked in prior Tasker versions,
> then I can add your ROM to the list of exceptions. To do that, I need
> to be able to identify it with Tasker. Look in /system/build.prop for
> a line that might be unique to your ROM and post it here if you find
> one.
I use HTC Hero with CM7 based rom Elelinux 7.0. Please add this rom to
exceptions list.
ro.modversion=Elelinux-7.0.0-RC2-Hero-v1.5

Pent

Mar 21, 2011, 2:57:30 PM3/21/11
to Tasker
> I use HTC Hero with CM7 based rom Elelinux 7.0. Please add this rom to
> exceptions list.
> ro.modversion=Elelinux-7.0.0-RC2-Hero-v1.5

Sorry, if I could modify the first post I would. I'm testing
dynamically for GPS next version, I don't need the
the modversion anymore.

Pent
This conversation is locked